Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1082423668083429378

Love my national parks spokesman Mike Litterst, every time they go on WTOP they say his name extremely carefully.

need to get these parks open to the public again so the Leshens stay fed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Im very partial to 1848 too but really the whole post napoleon to Paris commune doesnt get enough attention

you would like “the miserables” by victor hugo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

SKULL.GIF posted:

if any of you are still in college I highly encourage you to take a class on the history of the French Revolution and its causes it's a super interesting time period

Or just listen to Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast, the third section is about the French Revolution and it's like 60 parts long. There's a good one about Haiti, too. If you went through American schools I'd probably skip the one on the AR because there wasn't a whole lot of new stuff in there that wasn't drilled over and over in k-12.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

have definitely worked for a project that frequented air travel across the states and we had multiple people on watchlists that were almost always delayed at airports and it was almost exclusively due to them just having similar names to other people

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

a helpful bear posted:

Is a birdbox where baloogan goes when he gets probated

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

What is CSPAM's opinion of Robespierre on Horseback

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

yes, robes was absolutely a "mods....... MODS!" guy and a really good example of why those guys should never be made mods

ive got some ideas about a Committee for Posting Safety...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SKULL.GIF posted:

if any of you are still in college I highly encourage you to take a class on the history of the French Revolution and its causes it's a super interesting time period

The Age of Napoleon podcast is also a pretty good account of the era, would recommend.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

ASenileAnimal posted:

my favorite part of birdbox was when the main character was like "these blindfolds...its like...being in a birdbox!"

I sure am tied of all these star wars

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

euphronius posted:

guillotine chopped off the heads of the left more than the rich

yeah the commune banned them because they were republican boogie bullshit but on the other hand saying guillotine is fun

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I played Marat in a play in high school and after rehearsal one day the girl who played Charlotte Corday had me over at her house and stabbed me during sex, goooood loving times

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Or just listen to Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast, the third section is about the French Revolution and it's like 60 parts long. There's a good one about Haiti, too. If you went through American schools I'd probably skip the one on the AR because there wasn't a whole lot of new stuff in there that wasn't drilled over and over in k-12.

plan on listening to the French one twice imho

there is a lot going on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

I played Marat in a play in high school and after rehearsal one day the girl who played Charlotte Corday had me over at her house and stabbed me during sex, goooood loving times

whoa synecdoche

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is actually due to something in Obamacare. The shitdems basically agreed to keep the country's medical expenditure under a certain limit arbitrarily and the only place to cut is in disbursements, so now doctors hate Medicare/Medicaid patients

I thought that provision was about capping admin fees in favor of medical disbursements, I think its called the medical loss ratio or something

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Schnorkles posted:

McDonald did the math and thinks that this may end up being like ~20k more votes for democrats when everything shakes out.

Mind you that would have been enough for Nelson to win so

the gop is still in charge and they are dragging their feet on implementing it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

that's only because there were so many more leftists than there were rich

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Here's a moral challenge for cspam. This will be fun.

What do you think of this picture

https://m.imgur.com/zKb1zO.png

orange sky has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Jan 8, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

SKULL.GIF posted:

caused by syphilis

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Waffle House posted:

how so

also what do we do about the societal expectation that doctors be well off

:thermidor:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

any book recommendations on the subject?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

pathetic little tramp posted:

method actors are weird

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
robespierre would have a prolific D&D posting career of correcting minutae and probably a job at the NYT fact checking desk after college

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
and yes les miserables is good and Mike Duncan is good.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

orange sky posted:

https://twitter.com/marinamaral2/status/1082669497633423360?s=19

humans bad

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

orange sky posted:

1. don't gently caress nazis

2. cspam still can't admit to themselves that the soviet red army mass rape of eastern european women was extremely bad

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1082423668083429378

Love my national parks spokesman Mike Litterst, every time they go on WTOP they say his name extremely carefully.

bono killed them & the edge buried them

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

cultural posadist posted:

the gop is still in charge and they are dragging their feet on implementing it

did u miss the post like two pages ago where people are literally registering to vote today

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a helpful bear posted:

drat I forgot about MIG

ED BALLS ED BALLS ED BALLS

remember fishbed

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

hello. Join me on this stroll through Dutch-language wiktionary, won't you? :)

When it's early in the morning and you're watching a clip of an Afrikaans documentary about chameleon conversancy in South Africa, and the Afrikaans narration leads you to look up what's going on with the word "man" in that language:

*clicks*

We scroll for a while, past a bunch of tables, translations, hypernyms and hyponyms... Then: Derived Terms

"hmm.. hm... yes, one man sho.....— muchmanneries? *click*

"veelmannerij" is the original Dutch, but Google Translate is helping out as best it can

"Is this really gonna mean 'a place of much men' or something???" -you, irl, perhaps, if you are like me

Turns out: a lot + man + an article (ne) + a row or line

"Ok, those are its constituent parts, but...?"

omg that is the best word

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

that's only because there were so many more leftists than there were rich

fair

and many of the aristocratic rich successfully decamped France

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

euphronius posted:

They did get a king with one though, that should count for something.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stevie Lee posted:

any book recommendations on the subject?

someone already mentioned Mike Duncan but I'll second him

wish I still had my texts from my FR class

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

orange sky posted:

In-group/outgroup stuff. Neither surprising nor anything to develop a discourse around. Humans suck and treat each other badly, except for the ones they really like and/or live with.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
1. Blocking Iranian Government Property (Nov. 14, 1979)
2. Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (Nov. 14, 1994)
3. Prohibiting Transactions with Terrorists Who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process (January 23, 1995)
4. Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Development of Iranian Petroleum Resources (March 15, 1995)
5. Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers (October 21, 1995)
6. Regulations of the Anchorage and Movement of Vessels with Respect to Cuba (March 1, 1996)
7. Blocking Sudanese Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Sudan (November 3, 1997)
8. Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans (June 26, 2001)
9. Continuation of Export Control Regulations (August 17, 2001)
10. Declaration of National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks (September 14, 2001)
11. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism (September 23, 2001)
12. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Zimbabwe (March 6, 2003)
13. Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq has an Interest (May 22, 2003)
14. Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Export of Certain Goods to Syria (May 11, 2004)
15. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Belarus (June 16, 2006)
16. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (October 27, 2006)
17. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions (August 1, 2007)
18. Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals (June 26, 2008)
19. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia (April 12, 2010)
20. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya (February 25, 2011)
21. Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations (July 25, 2011)
22. Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen (May 16, 2012)
23. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (March 6, 2014)
24. Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to South Sudan (April 3, 2014)
25. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic (May 12, 2014)
26. Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (March 9, 2015)
27. Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities (April 1, 2015)
28. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi (November 23, 2015)
29. Blocking the Property of Persons Involved in Serious Human Rights Abuse or Corruption (December 20, 2017)

30. Imposing Certain Sanctions in the Event of Foreign Interference in a United States Election (September 12, 2018)
31. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Nicaragua (November 27, 2018)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

whatever happened to that extremely obvious case of gop election stealing in north carolina

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Schnorkles posted:

did u miss the post like two pages ago where people are literally registering to vote today

yeah probably

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

remember fishbed

:fap:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

World War Mammories posted:

whatever happened to that extremely obvious case of gop election stealing in north carolina

lol

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

paranoid randroid posted:

robespierre would have a prolific D&D posting career of correcting minutae and probably a job at the NYT fact checking desk after college

he'd be ezra klein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

orange sky posted:

When you consider the circumstances around it, seems okay. I mean it's just shaving her head