Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

euphronius posted:

yeah

probably backfired if the goal was a liberal state ruled by the upper class

should have made him a figure head

alas !

He'd just tried to flee the country to join an Austrian invasion intent on executing the revolutionary government and re-installing the king as an absolute monarch, I think under those circumstances even the moderates dreaming of a constitutional monarchy had to do something at that point.

The radicalization of the French revolution seemed to be pushed on at every turn by the old world's absolute resistance to even mild and middling reforms, forcing revolutionaries to abandon plans of compromise or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

World War Mammories posted:

whatever happened to that extremely obvious case of gop election stealing in north carolina

sounds like normal business hey have u heard trmop is gonna do a thing

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

euphronius posted:

yeah

probably backfired if the goal was a liberal state ruled by the upper class

should have made him a figure head

alas !

That was the plan until the King tried to escape custody iirc

And even after that they only barely voted in favor of lopping off his head

E:FB

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jewel Repetition posted:

She wasn't consorting with just anyone, she was specifically consorting with an occupying army of nazis. If they shaved her head just for being a ho obviously that would have been hosed up

also probably the townsfolk did not perceive her as having been coerced into it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lol at remembering when some guy who only posted in coupons crashed the forums for days because he had every user who didn't post in coupons blocked.

.... What? How?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mdemone posted:

I like when Joe answers questions before I ask them.

Also, these sound like "United States v. 500 pounds of blue-fish tuna" for some reason to me.

btw that's the list of active national emergencies

congress is supposed to review them and close them out twice a year but :effort:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I once was eating pho with my buddy when he revealed he just found out his wife's recently-deceased father was a khmer rouge soldier who deserted and fled the country

well that would take the fun right out of ordering those unnerving yet irresistible vietnamese meatball things

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
what’s up my fellow citizens of this extremely normal and cool country?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ScrubLeague posted:

chicago has the worst trains. dc has a great train system. ireland is way better.

oh im sorry they keep a regular schedule and are of acceptable cleanliness please excuse chicago for having a fully functional public transit system

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

smarxist posted:

tonight is going to be loving hilarious

There are very few things I sincerely and genuinely desire more at this moment than to watch Donald J. Trump 45th President of the United States declare a national emergency on national broadcast

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pead posted:

nah, the local media is chasing the guy around the city while he parkours through fire escapes and poo poo

Owns

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

smarxist posted:

tonight is going to be loving hilarious

It's going to be absolute madness, it's just a total coin flip whether it's going to be madness of the popcorn munching or headache-inducing varieties.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

trump going to declare he solved the problem of income tax by not giving workers any income to tax :chaostrump:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

whatever happened to that extremely obvious case of gop election stealing in north carolina

The results have not yet been certified and the gop candidate set off a fire alarm escaping the press

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

orange sky posted:

That's where one can empathize with both groups in this scenario.

thanks for the lesson professor

i dont have to tip do i

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

That was the plan until the King tried to escape custody iirc

And even after that they only barely voted in favor of lopping off his head

E:FB

wasn’t that ... Lafayette’s plan ??

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ASenileAnimal posted:

trump going to declare he solved the problem of income tax by not giving workers any income to tax :chaostrump:

theres your ten percent tax cut bing bing bong

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lafayette was really cool shame about him being nobility

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

There are very few things I sincerely and genuinely desire more at this moment than to watch Donald J. Trump 45th President of the United States declare a national emergency on national broadcast

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

ScrubLeague posted:

chicago has the worst trains. dc has a great train system. ireland is way better.

shinkansen :hai:

i remember waiting for my train from kyoto to tokyo, and the long-rear end trains came in more frequently than a new york subway line at rush hour :hai:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

remember fishbed

Is this the new eminems album

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Birdbox! Every month we send you a new horrible bird. You won't believe how much you'll hate our nasty, loud birds. They're mean and scream constantly, but they're also really healthy and will love longer than you.

Birdbox. Please give us money to take our awful birds.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Stevie Lee posted:

any book recommendations on the subject?

Schama's Citizens is pretty good, lots of focus on art of course.

There is pretty much an infinite pile of writing about the Napoleonic years.

Ooo oo I almost forgot my favorite book of all time, Rebecca Spang's The Invention Of The Restaurant. It's what made me start reading about 18th/19th century France in the first place. Her newer book, Stuff And Money, is also fascinating but I'm still re-reading it because I'm not smart enough to understand it and I can't pronounce the important French money term "assignats".

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's gonna rule, it would send the qtards into overdrive too

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
i know everyone is all 'muh tax returns :qq:' but this also effects paying taxes at the end of the year, right

asking for me, someone who has to probably pay ~$900 again

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

lafayette was really cool shame about him being nobility

all nobles must hang

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Higgy posted:

what’s up my fellow citizens of this extremely normal and cool country?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
fun fact: Lafayette is one of a handful of people who were given honorary natural born citizen status in the US

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Personally I don't think the 1940's definition of "Willingly" in the context of an incredibly violent occupation (or basically any other context) is very reliable

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Joementum posted:

fun fact: Lafayette is one of a handful of people who were given honorary natural born citizen status in the US

:hmmyes: that is fun

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

As long as NC State beats UNC tonight I don't give a poo poo what Trump does

But I don't know if I will be able to handle a State loss accompanied by a state of emergency declaration

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pathetic little tramp posted:

Technically I wasn't playing Marat though; I was playing a man in an insane asylum pretending to be Marat and she was playing a narcoleptic pretending to be Charlotte

I played Rasputin by cucking a bunch of dudes and then they shot me

I didn't die

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

brugroffil posted:

still up in the air and the House is refusing to seat the "winner"

but the NC board of elections was dissolved due to an unrelated legal challenge, there's supposed to be a hearing this week but nobody can legally conduct it, despite that the Dem Gov appointed people to a new board but it's probably not legit.

oh

i'm sry i stole your post

more detail that i'm remembering: yeah so the state legislature decided to take away the governor's party's 1 vote advantage on the state board of elections. they did this because they're mad that a DEMOCRAP could win the governorship; the legislature is controlled by republicans. yes, the outgoing governor was a republican. the board that got dissolved was, a previous court decision held, always going to be replaced anyway, but it was allowed to remain for the duration of the election because that'd be silly otherwise. now the court decides "yeah well. ongoing controversy or not, the election is over, and there's no point for this board to exist anymore!!! lmao!!!!"

never mind that there is a point for this board to exist

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

tenderjerk posted:

i know everyone is all 'muh tax returns :qq:' but this also effects paying taxes at the end of the year, right

asking for me, someone who has to probably pay ~$900 again

im going to take a guess and say that only the part of the irs that takes money from people will be open

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

the L loving sucks and is loud as hell and slow

also the other parts of tha tnetwork

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mons Hubris posted:

As long as NC State beats UNC tonight I don't give a poo poo what Trump does

But I don't know if I will be able to handle a State loss accompanied by a state of emergency declaration

if UNC wins I am just gonna run over and start yelling TRUMP outside your window

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

didn’t New Jersey give him an estate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Joementum posted:

disgusting, stealing american citizenship