Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’ve given up on hard running for the foreseeable future, I never loved it to begin with but forced trail running and sprint training at least kept me somewhat capable for years. With the knee injury and subsequent 2 years of not running, the idea of re-training my lungs sounds like sheer misery, but I’m using the excuse of training for backpacking this summer to stair master my legs into oblivion for cardio, so between that and not eating like a Midwesterner for a few months I should drop the winter padding without too many issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Also the drinking got really bad last quarter. I'd like to think I could stop but I need something to fill the void. Maybe that's making pickles I dunno. Weed doesn't work on me at all sadly.

I tried doing dry January and made it like 4 days

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

one of my two new years resolutions has been losing about twenty pounds and really focusing on my health after my first quarter of grad school.

Do you have classmates who are in a similar boat? When I was in grad school there was a group of us who all ran and we'd meet up in pairs or small groups to run together, it definitely helped with sticking to an actual exercise schedule and I would have dropped out a lot sooner if I didn't have that stress relief outlet.

Also sup 5'10" buddy, I'm at 180 now and am hoping to turn that into a less fatty more musclar 175-180. I wish running didn't drag down the benefits of lifting and vice versa.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm trying to lose a few pounds between now and my sister's wedding in late February so I won't look too lovely in the photos. No skipping days on the calorie counting spreadsheet, no more going out for lunch between now and then, and I swapped out the sandwich cookies for Vanilla wafers. A core weight-management philosophy for me is that any snack foods I keep in the house need to be as bland as possible.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fiz may I recommend doing some climbing? Climbing and lifting is a good combo and it's fun as hell.

I gotta drop a few holiday pounds, mostly obtained through drinking too much and not cooking as much as I should. Bleargh.

But in good news...

https://twitter.com/st_vincent/status/1082668575528148993?s=19

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
yeah i'm trying to eat healthier this year as i finally went to a doctor for the first time in forever and shocking when you work yourself to death your general health goes into the toilet and they said i need to eat better and exercise more.

fortunately i have a wonderful fiance who's working with me to try and come up with good meals we can cook together and alternate exercise plans from my prior "just go out and run for an hour" strategy since that doesn't work when you get home at 8 pm every night and start work at 830 am.

also Prague and Berlin are cool+good and everyone should visit. we got engaged on the Charles Bridge in Prague on new year's eve and random tourists took photos of us.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ever since eating like a filthy loving monster at Thanksgiving I've been waking up an hour early and just doing some morning biking because I keep finding convenient excuses to skip at night, and found it's actually giving me some morning energy for once in my life. Hasn't helped lose any weight, but I blame that more on monstering on Christmas and New years and New years day and every other party I went to.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I tried doing dry January and made it like 4 days

Coincidentally

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1082303605892370432

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Baseball Crank is cranking off all right

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/1082296110432047105?s=19

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kalli posted:

Ever since eating like a filthy loving monster at Thanksgiving I've been waking up an hour early and just doing some morning biking because I keep finding convenient excuses to skip at night, and found it's actually giving me some morning energy for once in my life. Hasn't helped lose any weight, but I blame that more on monstering on Christmas and New years and New years day and every other party I went to.

Good job man! If you can adjust to getting up early, working out in the am is so much better imo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Anybody got any exercise tips for shoulder instability? I threw a frisbee too hard the other day and my shoulder kind of popped partially out of socket and immediately popped back in (Google tells me this is called a "subluxation"). Used to happen to me a few times a year as a teenager, but I hadn't had it happen in several years.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

FizFashizzle posted:

Also the drinking got really bad last quarter. I'd like to think I could stop but I need something to fill the void. Maybe that's making pickles I dunno. Weed doesn't work on me at all sadly.

Whole lot of same. I need to get better about eating and not drinking so much. Weed works wonders for me, but I'm looking for jobs right now :negative:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Instead of drinking or drugs

begin the practice of daily meditation

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Fiz may I recommend doing some climbing? Climbing and lifting is a good combo and it's fun as hell.

I gotta drop a few holiday pounds, mostly obtained through drinking too much and not cooking as much as I should. Bleargh.

But in good news...

https://twitter.com/st_vincent/status/1082668575528148993?s=19

A very depressed 2002 Thaddius is extremely excited for this!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Instead of weed or meth perhaps try warmly embracing others

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Somebody do steroids and let us know how it goes.

I lost 5 pounds over the holidays with a steady diet of vegetables and pussy :)

E: or I guess just testosterone? There’s generic prescribed medicine for that now isn’t there? I’m kind of scared at how my body is handling the early 30s

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

General Dog posted:

Anybody got any exercise tips for shoulder instability? I threw a frisbee too hard the other day and my shoulder kind of popped partially out of socket and immediately popped back in (Google tells me this is called a "subluxation"). Used to happen to me a few times a year as a teenager, but I hadn't had it happen in several years.

This has some good rehab/strengthening exercises you can check out.

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/dislocated-shoulder/Documents/100419shoulder[1].pdf

e:

Who puts a bracket in a dang url? (if you type [1].pdf at the end of that url after clicking it will take you there) This has a lot of the same exercises:

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/patient-care/articles/shoulder/home-exercises-unstable-shoulder.html

Ehud posted:

Instead of drinking or drugs

begin the practice of daily meditation

Come meditate with me at Cheesecake Factory my dude

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 8, 2019

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

General Dog posted:

Get a latex resistance band and just lookup shoulder exercises for stability.

https://www.amazon.com/xFitness-Latex-Stretch-Resistance-Training/dp/B06XD3GXJY

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

yeah i'm trying to eat healthier this year as i finally went to a doctor for the first time in forever and shocking when you work yourself to death your general health goes into the toilet and they said i need to eat better and exercise more.

fortunately i have a wonderful fiance who's working with me to try and come up with good meals we can cook together and alternate exercise plans from my prior "just go out and run for an hour" strategy since that doesn't work when you get home at 8 pm every night and start work at 830 am.

also Prague and Berlin are cool+good and everyone should visit. we got engaged on the Charles Bridge in Prague on new year's eve and random tourists took photos of us.

I haven't been to a doctor doctor in several years and I really need to, but fortunately I exercise pretty much daily and don't eat out a ton. I just have no idea what kind of doctor to go to if I just want a "hey am I cool?" checkup.

Also congrats on getting engaged! That just happened right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

I haven't been to a doctor doctor in several years and I really need to, but fortunately I exercise pretty much daily and don't eat out a ton. I just have no idea what kind of doctor to go to if I just want a "hey am I cool?" checkup.

Just look up some family practice near you and schedule a physical?

I'm not sure that's the best way to go but it seems to make sense.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I lost 10 lbs in December doing strength and kickboxing training 5 times a week at a local martial arts gym. I would continue doing it but it's kind of spendy and I'll wait till some loans are paid off before starting it again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1082110419785969666

whoops

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Intruder posted:

It can't be easy on the joints to be constantly put in figure fours and sharpshooters

Yeah my elbows are really messed up

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'm trying to quit diet coke this year.

I've been making iced tea and will probably try lacroix or whatever but any other suggestions for replacements?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Personally I like topo chico better than la croix, but it's a little more expensive

(Had to edit that said it backwards lol)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

FizFashizzle posted:

What you really want is a basic wendler program, or a starting strength. There's a million of them and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

You want to aim for something that focuses primarily on the main slow lifts (deadlift, squat variation, press variation) and then adds in some accessory work after. There's lot of ways to break it up: 3 - 5 day splits, depending on your schedule.

The only thing is that you really need a trainer to help in the early days. Once you spend a few months learnign the lifts and figuring out how to stretch and take care of yourself, you can go off on your own. It's really important in the beginning though to build a good technique foundation, and for that you really need a coach. posting videos to the internet is fine, but it doesn't beat someone being there and teaching you as you go.

If there's a weightlifting gym in your town, they'll have coaches available.

Thanks, I know there is (or was anyway) a starting strength thread on the forums, but if you know of a good resource with more info on one of these programs I'd appreciate it.

I'm not entirely sure what the coaching situation is in my town. There are numerous health clubs that have personal training available, but the one place I see with anything about specific to weightlifting on their page is mostly a mma / crossfit place and I'll never end up doing it if I have to drive 40 minutes to KC multiple times per week. Crossfit seems kind of like a scary cult. I will dig around and see what is available in town.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cash Monet posted:

I've been making iced tea and will probably try lacroix or whatever but any other suggestions for replacements?

a really good book

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cash Monet posted:

water with bitters in it

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Cash Monet posted:

I cut way back on soda last year. I tried replacement with seltzer, but ultimately found plain ice water worked the best for me. I invested in a bunch of nice vacuum insulated steel water bottles and take one half full of ice to work everyday. Keeps the water freezing cold all day long.

Really, the trick to kicking soda is just to not buy the drat stuff when you're doing your grocery shopping, because if you have it in your house you will drink it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I think starting strength is a terrible fitness program. 5x5 is useless, if you are trying to learn a movement do higher reps with less weight if you want to get stronger do AMRAP sets

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think starting strength is a terrible fitness program. 5x5 is useless, if you are trying to learn a movement do higher reps with less weight if you want to get stronger do AMRAP sets

It's good for complete novices tho, as it teaches you the basics of lifting, and if you focus on form, it is a good jumping off point.

It isn't for former athletes or intermediate and/or experienced lifters.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

how is everyone here feeling emotionally

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Also congrats on getting engaged! That just happened right?

look for an internal or family medicine practice. i found one nearby and got in pretty quick. also got a younger doctor which is good because she'll know what modern techniques to use instead of still thinking blood letting works.

and yep, the engagement is very recent, thanks! we've already got a wedding date + venue too: november 16. it's all very exciting

Ehud posted:

i am not happy to be back at work after nearly 2.5 weeks off

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's good for complete novices tho, as it teaches you the basics of lifting, and if you focus on form, it is a good jumping off point.

It isn't for former athletes or intermediate and/or experienced lifters.

:yeah: It was my first entry into any real fitness program, and helped me lose 30 lb when I was fat after college.

Ehud posted:

Hate my job, have been in a funk since August that I've been filling with alcohol and weed, but getting a lot better recently at focusing on my wonderful wife and home and pets. Making a conscious effort to focus on the things I appreciate in my day to day, and setting goals for house projects and new recipes to try.

Tl;dr: Not great, but acknowledged and a work in progress.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 8, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah that’s true I suppose. I know a few guys who just kept it as their lifting program and now they just do 5x5 of 135 for bench. I guess like anything you have to keep overloading. I really do still prefer Wendlers style (where you go 5,5,amrap basically) because that last set is a lot more beneficial than the last few sets of 5x5

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehud posted:

My kids go back to school tomorrow so pretty great

They're less thrilled

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Ehud posted:

Really loving good. I started seeing someone new at the end of August after taking the summer off from serious dating. This is the best relationship I've ever been in, which is having huge impacts on pretty much every other facet of my life.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ehud posted:

Meh. I'm in a weird spot where I don't like my job, but I also don't hate it. I've been passively looking and have gotten a few offers but all for lateral moves and it's hard for me to justify making the leap when I have it pretty good where I'm at. I just hate the work. Have you gotten into the containerized stuff yet, ie Kubernetes and Docker? It's been my focus for a bit and I hate it and don't want to do it anymore :smith:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ehud posted:

Heading back to work, where last night I got a chain email from my other studio mates saying they are interested in dissolving our current art studio & joining the larger (and TBH more successful) art studio down the street. I'm anxious with this change as while there's better opportunities at the new place, it will cost more & I'll feel the pressure to be productive instead of shitposting on Something Awful all day. :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

A bit exhausted. My parents are moving and are completely unprepared for it, so I've been spending a lot of free time down there trying to get them to HOLY poo poo GET RID OF THIS STUFF YOU HAVEN"T TOUCHED IN TWENTY YEARS. YOU DO NOT NEED THREE TYPEWRITERS, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

And anyway yeah, big thanks to my sister who has to deal with way more of that poo poo thanks to having a fleet of pickup trucks and enough room to store the shipping containers my parents bought to hold their stuff as they condense down from a 4800 sq foot house to a 1 bedroom apartment. But that ends on the 18th if the shutdown ends so the buyer's loan gets processed, so here' shoping.

Aside from that I started a bunch of things over the last year that eat up the rest of my free time, so I've just been running around a lot and feeling obligated to get stuff done which is... new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

I am fine. Kind of bored at work but oddly looking forward to my performance review on Thursday because I can lay out to my boss why I'm bored and the ideas I have to be less bored and add stuff to my resume do good things for the company. Wife is out of town until Tuesday and I miss her. I've been pretty sleepy in the evenings lately which is a weird thing to note but probably a good one?