Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

People that grew up with Anime like Gundam Wing and DBZ, and cartoons like BTAS and Samurai Jack are now in their late twenties or thirties, so we have an entire generation that now sees animation as something that can tell meaningful stories.

Yeah and look how we ended up! :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel rising shoulda looked like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnlPpASTxpA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I'll second that

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

site posted:

Jeans design is goddamn adorable in this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
haven't had a chance to watch it yet but she-ra came out today if anyone else had planned on watching it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

haven't had a chance to watch it yet but she-ra came out today if anyone else had planned on watching it

Just watched the first two episodes, it's decent. I also don't know anything about any of the original characters, Googling tells me the catwoman was a major baddie in the original show and it's new backstory that she was friends with She-Ra.

Content wise there's nothing serious enough that I wouldn't show it to a kid who I would show some of the cartoons I grew up on.

Nevermind, as I typed this She-Ra accidently turned a normal horse into a unicorn/pegasus, so kids will love it. I didn't even like horses that much as a kid but one with a horn and wings...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You can't have a unicorn that is also a pegasus that's incredibly unfair

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

You can't have a unicorn that is also a pegasus that's incredibly unfair

Maybe you can't, but She-Ra does.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
How am I going to explain to my non-existent children that they can't have a Pegasorn, only not have a Pegasus or a Unicorn?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samuringa posted:

How am I going to explain to my non-existent children that they can't have a Pegasorn, only not have a Pegasus or a Unicorn?

It's called a pegacorn (I don't think they use that word, but it's what I said when I was five).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's "alicorn," people. Have you learned nothing?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Starting ep4 and im liking it so far, i hope by the end catra comes around. I never watched the original so no spoilers on that though please

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

It's "alicorn," people. Have you learned nothing?

Since I was five? I learned a lot of things but none of them were related to flying horses with horns.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Starting ep4 and im liking it so far, i hope by the end catra comes around. I never watched the original so no spoilers on that though please

The original wasn't really the kind of show that had season long character arcs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

The original wasn't really the kind of show that had season long character arcs.

Yeah, it was super in the mold of the twenty-two minute toy commercial. Set-up/Problem/Moral done.

One minus I guess is that the Horde does not look as visually impressive as they did. They had weirder-looking henchmen than even Skeletor.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
But muh masculinityyyyyyy waaaaaah or something

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ngl, i did think that given who's on the team making the show that it'd be more overtly gay than it is

Scorpia's fun

site fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 14, 2018

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I.. really don't like the Sea Captain. But, whatever.

Scorpia is Dina from Super Store! She's amazing!

I dig everyone else in the show so far, and I like that we're getting peaks of Hordak.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Catra in the original show was just a one note comic relief villain. Like many of the show's peripheral characters, she was voiced by Adora/She-Ra's VA Melendy Britt, but because Britt voiced so many characters, she had to resort to ridiculous gimmick voices to differentiate them.

This meant that Catra sounded like Adora, but layered every line delivery with with crazy yowls and MYAAIIIIOWWWWs to the point where listening to her felt sort of like having a stroke. It's honestly amazing, retro She-Ra rules.

The new show is really good so far. There's some really nice turns of animation in the first three episodes - there are so many little work-intensive details that don't strictly need to be there but improve the dynamism of the show a bunch. Like, in the second episode Bow runs into a wall because he's so eager to get ahead of the group, and the impact is totally sold, but it's not lingered on as a gag, it's purely animation as character work.

I love how they completely rehabilitated Bow and Glimmer while still staying weirdly true to their original characters of "smug guy" and "useless idiot who gets captured all the time". Like, instead of being useless, Glimmer is just a powerful but incautious warrior. Likewise Bow's smugness is mostly in the service of providing emotional support for his friends.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

I love how they completely rehabilitated Bow and Glimmer while still staying weirdly true to their original characters of "smug guy" and "useless idiot who gets captured all the time". Like, instead of being useless, Glimmer is just a powerful but incautious warrior. Likewise Bow's smugness is mostly in the service of providing emotional support for his friends.

They've sort of made him Sokka is the best correlation I can think of. Which is fine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's kinda funny that the lore dumps never mention greyskull and no one ever asks what it is or means

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

site posted:

It's kinda funny that the lore dumps never mention greyskull and no one ever asks what it is or means

Well Adora asks what's Greyskull when she first hears the words.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Adora asks what's Greyskull when she first hears the words.

okay fine, it's never answered and no one other than adora that first time ever asks about it

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Dawgstar posted:

They've sort of made him Sokka is the best correlation I can think of. Which is fine.

This is what I thought too. He's a bit more competent in fighting than Sokka. Well, at least before Sokka got his sword training.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He's also a lot nicer than Sokka. S1 Sokka was kind of a jerk, to the point where I think the comparison isn't that generative.

Bow is just a very nice lad who can be kind of smug and overbearing in his pleasantness, which adds a bit of substance to his character and stops it from just being "good friend".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New season of Young Justice hits January 4th.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

New season of Young Justice hits January 4th.

I guess that's when I use my free trial. I wonder if Titans ever got good.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I guess that's when I use my free trial. I wonder if Titans ever got good.

Anna Diop is an amazing Starfire.

other than that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HH_56DyvsM

It's not the best but not the worst?

Also the plot keeps going absolutely no where for episodes on end like most superhero-based shows.

If they treat YJ like they are Titans, your trial won't get you many episodes. They'll just release one a week and you won't be able to binge anything.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So... Young Justice is back.

What do we all think of the first 3 episodes?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Andrew_1985 posted:

So... Young Justice is back.

What do we all think of the first 3 episodes?

They were pretty good. Though I feel bad for the Von Furth family.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I thought it was pretty good. The pacing feels much better, especially with three episodes at a time.

I wasn't expecting them to go so nuts the moment they got away from network censors though. Like, that shot of Halo's half melted face was pretty nasty.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
They really seized this opportunity to ramp up the child death in Young Justice, wow. Those were good episodes, but I still wish they would focus on characters already introduced instead of adding even more but I guess that mass exodus from the league and team were meant to thin out the cast some.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Something neat that got pointed out on another site, if you take the first letter of the first word of each episode name in the new season(there's a leaked list of them) and arrange them in order, it forms a little message

PREPARE THE ANTI-LIFE EQUATION

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't have the DC subscription thing, could anybody tell me in spoilers if they do the thing from previous seasons where the good guys win-- wait *actually the bad guys knew and planned for this all along*

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't have the DC subscription thing, could anybody tell me in spoilers if they do the thing from previous seasons where the good guys win-- wait *actually the bad guys knew and planned for this all along*

Surprise! It looks like the good guys managed to eke out a win, but then the episode ends with a metahuman kid they saved getting shot in the brain by a farmer with a shotgun. It's no Lex Luthor "Exactly as keikaku" though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there an "essential episode" list for YJ out there? I was going to re-watch before checking out season three (it's been a while for me) and didn't know if there's an important episode list or if I should just plow through it all in a week or two.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The lip flaps in YJ are busted. I've never seen flaps look that bad before. It's really funny how far they go to cover it up too, with the team having their mouths covered for most of episode 3 and everyone talking off screen or facing away from the camera as much as possible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there an "essential episode" list for YJ out there? I was going to re-watch before checking out season three (it's been a while for me) and didn't know if there's an important episode list or if I should just plow through it all in a week or two.

Probably just plough through it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Aren't lip flaps like, the easiest thing to do? It only becomes an issue if people are moving while talking, or are weirdly shaped cartoony characters with huge mouths. Hobbyists have been editing lip flaps with great results for like 15+ years. I know, because I was super into anime music videos way back then and saw plenty of tutorials, and this was like 2002/2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Having recently re-watched the first two seasons, boy were Weisman's particular storytelling fetishes on display. The 'according to plan' especially. Even when the villains seem to lose big, nah. Less so but in a way more irritating were the weird stand-up routines regarding wordplay, like 'You ALWAYS hear about people being 'disgruntled' is ANYBODY ever just 'gruntled' and it probably is not as prevalent as it seems but boy howdy was it obnoxious.