Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

I just got to this scene and it might be the most human moment ever shown on Star Trek. Dax owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The thing about The Visitor is it would work just fine on its own, I think, as it has stuff that pretty much anyone can relate to and all you really need to know is "father and son, time travel thingy, got it". But it's also one of the best episodes of anything ever, and it improves if you've seen the rest of the show, so it feels like a crime to short-change it at all, if you can help it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Lemming posted:

The thing about The Visitor is it would work just fine on its own, I think, as it has stuff that pretty much anyone can relate to and all you really need to know is "father and son, time travel thingy, got it". But it's also one of the best episodes of anything ever, and it improves if you've seen the rest of the show, so it feels like a crime to short-change it at all, if you can help it.
I think a lot is lost if you go into it with no background

DS9 does not have many stand-alone episodes because it’s not that type of show

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Explorers is a perfectly lovely standalone ep~

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That episode's tone is so goddamn weird. It's like... the Treasure Planet episode

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Treasure Planet owns

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The first time I watched "The Visitor," I had seen maybe one season of DS9 total and I thought the episode was okay. The second time I watched it, it was in sequence as I watched the entire series for the first time and it loving destroyed me. I'm not sure if I can bear to watch it again when it comes around in The Greatest Generation's schedule.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Caught the first episode of DS9 on TV last night and I'm disappointed this will never get a HD release because the first few episodes are really rough looking.
They showed the first episode of Sliders after so I guess I know what I'm going to start watching again. :getin:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CPColin posted:

The first time I watched "The Visitor," I had seen maybe one season of DS9 total and I thought the episode was okay. The second time I watched it, it was in sequence as I watched the entire series for the first time and it loving destroyed me. I'm not sure if I can bear to watch it again when it comes around in The Greatest Generation's schedule.

The only complaint I have about The Visitor is that it’s the Tony Todd show. This isn’t a bad thing because Tony Todd but it does mean the main character for most of the episode isn’t really a main character. Or rather the actual actor doesn’t really get to do much. Imagine if Nog in It’s Only a Paper Moon was played by another actor.

But spread your arms as wide as you can and then hold your fingers close together and that’s how big my actual complaint is relative to the rest of the episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Then why complain at all?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's a valid complaint. I wonder how Cirroc Lofton felt about it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

Then why complain at all?

Because I'm posting in a Star Trek thread.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't particularly care for that episode anyhow

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sash! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiCZP09F6FQ

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Picard show should just be Picard in all roles

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
A space vortex has duplicated Picard and now he must pilot a starship with the help of 500 other Picards

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sash! posted:

Re: your monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcq3FG0GC_0

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Sash! posted:

I mean, it's a good episode but it's pretty overrated.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Laterite posted:

I just got to this scene and it might be the most human moment ever shown on Star Trek. Dax owns.

That's sadly most likely how she looked all the time when the cameras were not on her. She... had a bad time :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

corn in the bible posted:

A space vortex has duplicated Picard and now he must pilot a starship with the help of 500 other Picards

Picard: How will we keep track of ourselves?
Picard: A numbering system would be a good idea.
Picard: Which one of us was the progenitor?
Picard: If the computer is correct, it was me.
Picard: Then we'll call you number one.
Picard: ..no, I don't like that.
Picard: Too confusing.
Picard: How is that confusing?
Picard: That's what we call Riker.
Picard: Riker's not here, Number One.
Picard: Yes, it's contextual.
Picard: Entirely different scenario.
Picard: Can't we just call me Captain?
Picard: We're all Captains, Number One.
Picard: Goddamn it, fine.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Picard: No one is Number One and we are all Captains. You are 2 and you are are 3 and so on.
Picard: What number are you?
Picard: (smiles) Locutus.
Picard: We are Picard.

And there's your Borg origin story.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Q is just like "I hinted as strongly as I could, dude. You gotta meet me halfway."

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Deadline is saying that the fourth reboot movie is dead (albeit offhandedly in an article about a completely different franchise)

quote:

I hear [SJ] Clarkson was recruited by HBO for GOT after she recently became available. Earlier this year, Clarkson was the first female director to be tapped to direct a Star Trek movie when she was hired to helm the fourth feature in the current series. That project has since been shelved.

Despite generally enjoying the reboot films (yes, even Into Darkness) I'm not particularly broken up about this. :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cross-Section posted:

Despite generally enjoying the reboot films (yes, even Into Darkness) I'm not particularly broken up about this. :shrug:

:same: I didn't hate them but also don't care at all if there's another one.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Grand Fromage posted:

:same: I didn't hate them but also don't care at all if there's another one.

I still rewatch the original TOS movies on the regular, but other than occasionally enjoying the opening scene of ST2009, when the Kelvin goes to town, yeah, I simply haven't felt the need to rewatch any of the reboots.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Brawnfire posted:

If AI programs ever get us to where we can script realistic looking TV-like video, I'd totally produce this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

Deadline is saying that the fourth reboot movie is dead (albeit offhandedly in an article about a completely different franchise)

Given the nebulous nature of the original announcement, the low box office return on Beyond, and the pending contract negotiations with the cast, this always seemed like the inevitable conclusion. It sucks, I feel like the cast had finally gelled in Beyond, but I’d rather see the series end than come back missing half the cast and most of the budget for a potential 4th film. Hopefully this also kills the Tarantino project.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hopefully this also kills the Tarantino project.

Why

you don't want to hear this guy say the N word?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Given the nebulous nature of the original announcement, the low box office return on Beyond, and the pending contract negotiations with the cast, this always seemed like the inevitable conclusion. It sucks, I feel like the cast had finally gelled in Beyond, but I’d rather see the series end than come back missing half the cast and most of the budget for a potential 4th film. Hopefully this also kills the Tarantino project.

Yeah, I'm of two minds on this. I was always skeptical of a fourth movie getting off the ground, considering the only people they had under contract were Pine and Quinto, but once they named SJ Clarkson as the director, I got a bit more optimistic. And then ... complete radio silence, outside of Pegg and Quinto mentioning they'd heard the story but hadn't seen a script.

It's a bit of a bummer. I really, really like Pine's take on Kirk. Part of me wonders, considering all the shows that are in development, if CBS yanked Paramount's film license.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hopefully this also kills the Tarantino project.
No way. I want to see the Tarantino Trek film even if it sucks. In fact, I want to see it especially if it sucks.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

No way. I want to see the Tarantino Trek film even if it sucks. In fact, I want to see it especially if it sucks.

Don't worry. If you see it, it will suck.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sash! posted:

Picard: No one is Number One and we are all Captains. You are 2 and you are are 3 and so on.
Picard: What number are you?
Picard: (smiles) Locutus.
Picard: We are Picard.

And there's your Borg origin story.

Picard: Who is Number One?
Picard: You are Number Six.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

tarlibone posted:

Don't worry. If you see it, it will suck.

Tarantino sucks and he shouldn't be within a million lightyears of Star Trek even if Paramount is trying to make it a stupid loving action franchise like a lot of you dumbasses want

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

Tarantino sucks and he shouldn't be within a million lightyears of Star Trek even if Paramount is trying to make it a stupid loving action franchise like a lot of you dumbasses want

Well, double dumbass on you.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Who here wants that?!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

This is what happens when you tumblr, kids

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

Who here wants that?!

a lot of you dumbasses, can't you read?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
AOS Trek has literally 0 redeeming qualities except fast moving stupid action. We should celebrate its demise.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

You guys are crazy, Tarantino Trek would rule. Even if it didn't it would be a shot in the arm for the franchise to have a creative at the helm that can bring more to the table than reheated action movie tropes that were flavors of the month while the film was in Pre production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beyond was awesome, Trek 09 had its moments, I wish Simon Pegg was running the franchise.