Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

The biggest concern I have about this is the natsec angle. You could use my phone to track my comings and goings, and it doesn't even have to be a smartphone, a 20 dollar AT&T burner can be tracked just as easily, and I'm sure you can track OnStar just the same, as it has a cell modem built into it. You can establish a most likely route for my daily travel and my routine of being in and out of the house (the data request includes the home address of the account!) and then plan an intercept of me or my family for whatever nefarious poo poo you were planning to do, like pressure someone into becoming an insider threat.

I could give a poo poo about a bounty hunter tracking someone who is skipping bail, but the fact that the data is being sold to anyone means that for ~300 bucks you can track someone who knows state secrets and then gently caress with them or abduct them.

I guarantee this data is being sold to foreign Intel agencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1082734136044015618?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Beaten; rip

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Oh one hundred loving percent, what country wouldn't love to be able to throw down ~$300 through a shell corporation and have access to real time location data for an intel analyst working at Redstone Arsenal or a nuclear physicist working in Los Alamos?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What if the company that's fighting this is actually BP?

They own a stake in Rosneft, would potentially have access to financial documents, etc...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

Your data being sold is also a feature not some unintended side effect.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

orange juche posted:

The biggest concern I have about this is the natsec angle. You could use my phone to track my comings and goings, and it doesn't even have to be a smartphone, a 20 dollar AT&T burner can be tracked just as easily, and I'm sure you can track OnStar just the same, as it has a cell modem built into it. You can establish a most likely route for my daily travel and my routine of being in and out of the house (the data request includes the home address of the account!) and then plan an intercept of me or my family for whatever nefarious poo poo you were planning to do, like pressure someone into becoming an insider threat.

Thanks to the government shutdown lol this will be water under the bridge before the FCC gets back in office, and nothing will happen because we live in hypercapitalist hellworld.

lol and people were worried about the police with IMSI catchers. Don't need any of that fancy tech when the phone company sells your realtime location data to just about anyone. The implications yeah, pretty easy to build a pattern of life on someone for whatever bad purpose. I'm sure Congress will get right on putting in some very restrictive privacy laws for social media and telecom companies.

And who knows what kind of location data FB, Google, etc. are hoovering up by other methods.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Can't wait for it to come out that someone used it to stalk and kill an ex. Or disappear a Russian/Saudi dissident.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm sure Congress will get right on putting in some very restrictive privacy laws for social media and telecom companies

I can feel the sarcasm dripping off of every word.

The biggest thing that makes this laughable is the people passing the laws or not passing the laws as such don't think about this from a security angle, because people who do sensitive jobs have phones too, and cars, and facebook and google accounts. The sale of data is basically wholly unregulated and policed by literal "we pinky promise we won't use this location data for bad things" agreements, and that's a very bad thing.

People from the EU might hold up GDPR as groundbreaking data regulation but does it even cover data harvested from cell tower locations?

E: The answer is not really, it still allows for the collection of cell phone location data "for legitimate purposes" but fails to specify what a legitimate purpose is, as well as its resale lol.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 8, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Lou Takki posted:

What if the company that's fighting this is actually BP?

They own a stake in Rosneft, would potentially have access to financial documents, etc...

It's being reported that it's a "foreign financial institution". I believe that's new information!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
what if its deutsche bank

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Vasudus posted:

what if its deutsche bank

I thought that was who everyone was assuming it was anyways. I was just trying to figure out who it might be if not them, but if it's really a financial institution, then it's gotta be Deutsche Bank IMO.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I mean, BP already knew there was a lot of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. They put it there, after all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought it was a foreign, state owned , company. Deustche Bank isn't state owned.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McNally posted:

I mean, BP already knew there was a lot of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. They put it there, after all.

:drat:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

McNally posted:

I'm from the directly affected area there and loving lmao.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

McNally posted:

Lol, too good :)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/StormyDaniels/status/1082745074474237953?s=19

Now linked by two political writers and a straight-news reporter. 2019.

Edit: just came out that the mystery foreign company is getting charged $50k/day in the contempt action. Gonna get expensive in a hurry!

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 8, 2019

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/StormyDaniels/status/1082745074474237953?s=19

Now linked by two political writers and a straight-news reporter. 2019.

Edit: just came out that the mystery foreign company is getting charged $50k/day in the contempt action. Gonna get expensive in a hurry!

if it’s a bank, that’s rounding error territory in terms of impact. they should double the fine everyday like they did w/ yonkers

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

It's probably a database with IMEI numbers tied to owners of the phone plans. In the US don't you need an ID to purchase a SIM card? Someone else may know more but wouldn't any country that requires an ID to purchase a SIM card be able to do this?

Also I remember someone here remarked on a Trump tweet that excess parenthesis and commas in text was pretty indicative of mental illness. Anyone have more background on this?

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 8, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

It's probably a database with IMEI numbers tied to owners of the phone plans. In the US don't you need an ID to purchase a SIM card? Someone else may know more but wouldn't any country that requires an ID to purchase a SIM card be able to do this?

It's really easy to figure out a track on a person from even crap data (just the accelerometer output is enough to define a specific person and know what they're up to), bunch of good papers online about it, e.g. here, there's shitloads of research available publicly. "Big data" is a problem and nobody has figured out how to deal with it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No one wants to deal with it because they're making money off it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

Also I remember someone here remarked on a Trump tweet that excess parenthesis and commas in text was pretty indicative of mental illness. Anyone have more background on this?

If you read the motherboard article the concern isn't the IMEI numbers database, which is frankly kinda useless if you don't have location data, but the fact that there are companies selling the live, down to the minute location data of any phone as long as you know the phone number. Phone numbers are much easier to get a hold of than IMEI numbers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

orange juche posted:

If you read the motherboard article the concern isn't the IMEI numbers database, which is frankly kinda useless if you don't have location data, but the fact that there are companies selling the live, down to the minute location data of any phone as long as you know the phone number. Phone numbers are much easier to get a hold of than IMEI numbers.

This is kind of horrifying if you say had a bad date with someone who turns out to be a creepy one.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That Works posted:

This is kind of horrifying if you say had a bad date with someone who turns out to be a creepy one.

:capitalism:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Hexyflexy posted:

Oh god, I was bored so I did some rough calculations on the border wall (my arithmetic is awful so I might have missed a zero somewhere). If you built it out of strakes the advertised height and depth (8.2M) and they were box steel sections 10cm x 10cm that were 0.5cm thick (seemed sensible and my local foundry makes them), you need $4B of mild steel (going by the local rate in my city in the UK, I live in steel central) and ~3% of your total mild steel output (on 2017 figures) for a year to do it, covering the official length of the border.

That was a really naive, conservative, back of the envelope calculation though. I've just started going through the definition of the USA/Mexico border - the "Treaty of Limits". Borders and map making are really interesting and also complex as all hell, and the fractal nature of measuring them is something you get taught as a young budding mathematician. For problems like that I generally bump up the naive value by like 3x to compensate for the on the ground routing and nature's hatred of people like me making simple estimates.

Basically the raw materials alone would cost you a NASA, and the construction cost is going to be 10x that minimum. I didn't even look at the cost of concrete, fuel, shipping, wages and buying all the land you don't own.

Lol, jesus. You literally can't build this thing even if most of you wanted to.

100mm box with 5 mm wall x 8 meters long, if you can get to the fence with a rope and a 1976 Suzuki Samurai, you could loop the fence up high and just tow bend it down to the ground. Or snap it off.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

As a sign of next two years, seeing pro-wall 'campaign' ads on CNN 'paid for by Donald Trump for President'. Trump's already getting his 2020 campaign spun up to prime the pump for his evening address, gonna be great watching him us his campaign as a combination slush fund/agitprop mouthpiece for the next two years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The wall is a great thing for him to keep harping on since it's an established loser outside of blood red districts

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

not caring here posted:

100mm box with 5 mm wall x 8 meters long, if you can get to the fence with a rope and a 1976 Suzuki Samurai, you could loop the fence up high and just tow bend it down to the ground. Or snap it off.

I'd go with spraying sulphuric acid at the base, there's no way they'd get replaced fast enough to deal with it. Stainless would cost like 100x more.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hexyflexy posted:

I'd go with spraying sulphuric acid at the base, there's no way they'd get replaced fast enough to deal with it. Stainless would cost like 100x more.

The whole thing will be painted with frictionless paint.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Lmao imagine getting stuck on endless paint/scrap duty

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

not caring here posted:

You can also apparently set the world record for highest motorized ascent for a wheeled vehicle, because the Suzuki Samurai holds the record at 21,942ft.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Stormy Daniels is gonna fold her laundry in her underwear during Trump's announcement

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...jOjrjv4O-jTFLN4

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

I.e., the only chance for any legislation on the subject is for a pretty white virgin to get murdered.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

joat mon posted:

I.e., the only chance for any legislation on the subject is for a pretty white virgin to get murdered.

And not by an affluent white guy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Your data being sold is also a feature not some unintended side effect.

I was never under any pretenses otherwise, but I figured there was some restrictions.

I kinda figured that they were being circumvented, but didn't realize this easily.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Stormy Daniels is gonna fold her laundry in her underwear during Trump's announcement

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...jOjrjv4O-jTFLN4

I'd watch, but don't have instagram.

I have an autographed copy of Operation Desert Stormy. Thanks to working at an adult store a decade ago. I should see if some chud will buy it for dumb money. It's the special 3 disc edition.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't know how accurate it really was but there was some article I read after trump posted a picture of the slats w/ the SUV some engineering guy that worked on major civil projects tried to price it out. It came out to like 3500 bucks a slat if they were properly rated for the weather/soil/etc. It would consume almost a third of all US steel production for several years and I think a quarter of the entire world's Zinc output. You would also have to build multiple concrete facilities on-site because there's no way you can haul that much. Not including a penny of profit or overhead it was already in the many hundreds of billions just for the materials alone.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Vasudus posted:

I don't know how accurate it really was but there was some article I read after trump posted a picture of the slats w/ the SUV some engineering guy that worked on major civil projects tried to price it out. It came out to like 3500 bucks a slat if they were properly rated for the weather/soil/etc. It would consume almost a third of all US steel production for several years and I think a quarter of the entire world's Zinc output. You would also have to build multiple concrete facilities on-site because there's no way you can haul that much. Not including a penny of profit or overhead it was already in the many hundreds of billions just for the materials alone.

They should just build a berm instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Yeh, it's utterly nuts, my estimate didn't have any bracing or foundations etc in it, and I have no idea how to even account for workers. And that dumbass guess topped out about $50B. Which considering all the stuff I didn't add in is going to be like $500B. Which considering maintenance will be more like $2T for the budget to construction completion.

And god help you if you want to use an interesting alloy for it, because that increases everything a huge amount because the US doesn't have that production capability.