Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Speaking of gym drama, my instructor just posted on all his accounts a fairly long winded speech about loyalty and how people who constantly switch teams aren't worth your time. I have no idea who he's talking about.

As a dirty Creonte, lol.

edit:

If you have enough people who just straight up leave, it's probably the quality of the instructor either personally or professionally.

If you have enough people who want to train with other gyms as well as yours consider it a compliment, because they're willing to pay to keep up their membership instead of straight up ditching and they believe they're getting something meaningful from your gym.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Coincidentally he's also offering a promotion now, training for life for $5k.

Thats actually not a bad deal. Do you plan on training for more than 5 years, if so and you have the money, do it.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Goddam I wish my gym was only 1k per year.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

butros posted:

Try golfing. Sheesh.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Speaking of gym drama, my instructor just posted on all his accounts a fairly long winded speech about loyalty and how people who constantly switch teams aren't worth your time. I have no idea who he's talking about.

This sounds like someone who is going out of business and is trying to get money before cutting and running.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

^^^Basically this.

butros posted:

If I buy in for a year at my gym its $1720 or its $160 a month for everything.

SoCal is expensive..for everything. So yeah thats a pretty good deal at least for me. But I always wonder about gyms that offer these types of deals. How good are the doing financially and will the gym be open in 5 years?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

My gym only offers month to month. The owner/head instructor has a thing about how he is confident that the quality of the instruction is enough to keep people coming so no contracts are necessary.

That being said I wouldn't mind an option to save by pre-paying for 6-12 months of training at a time because like SoCal NYC is crazy expensive, but he also has a thing about hating admin (he used to do 10-class packs but ditched it) so I'm not holding my breath.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

^ my club is similar, but I pay 6 months at a time anyway and I just remind him when I owe him and he trusts me. We're virtually a grappler's co-op anyway. The head instructor has another business and a second job, and fees basically just go to facility costs.

Half the time I pay him in-kind rather than in cash anyway. My last 6 month payment was a combination of a gi and some cash. Before that I've done things like get a shitload of belts for kids promotions or track down and buy 400 pounds of rags for stuffing heavy bags.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

This sounds like someone who is going out of business and is trying to get money before cutting and running.

He has 4 gyms in this city, is expanding the current gym next to my house because of class sizes, and has been here for 20 years. I don't particularly feel like he's going out of business any time soon.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

JaySB posted:

That's not a bad deal

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

There is no way that dude is planning on honoring those 5k contracts lol.

How often do your gyms clean the mats? I have no idea about the frequency of mine, but my feet are often filthy when I finish warming up. I also think I have contracted athlete's foot for the first time in my life. I don't know if it is unreasonable to ask management to clean mats or whatever, but at the same time I also don't like seeing people run to the mats directly from the bathroom without flops.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shadow225 posted:

How often do your gyms clean the mats? I have no idea about the frequency of mine, but my feet are often filthy when I finish warming up. I also think I have contracted athlete's foot for the first time in my life. I don't know if it is unreasonable to ask management to clean mats or whatever, but at the same time I also don't like seeing people run to the mats directly from the bathroom without flops.

Every night

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shadow225 posted:

We clean the mats after every class. The instructor puts water + bleach in a sprayer and sprays the mats down and several of us wipe it with towels.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

We clean the mats after every class. The instructor puts water + bleach in a sprayer and sprays the mats down and several of us wipe it with towels.

Need to get yourself a big rear end 2 yard long mop like we have

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Every night, the mats are sprayed with some sort of cleaner that comes out of a giant hand pump. The owner does it some nights but students help semi regularly from what I've seen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Every night, the mats are sprayed with some sort of cleaner that comes out of a giant hand pump. The owner does it some nights but students help semi regularly from what I've seen.

I almost always stay behind to clean because I am a massive toady

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

One a day should be the bare minimum for cleaning. One per class is best.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We do once after each set of classes, so three times per day once after morning, noon, and night classes.

If they're not cleaning it at least once after every set of classes you should move on before you catch staph or something.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

we only have one set of classes so I think it works out for us at least to do it after that set

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

My gym has a cleaning crew that cleans them early in the morning (basically they clean the whole gym). Only in the summer do we have issues with things like the worm popping up but even then its rare.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I almost always stay behind to clean because I am a massive toady

Same except I do it once a week because 1) it's hard on my bed time and 2) there are a couple of great students who have some kind of agreement to help out, I assume in exchange for membership, so I don't step on that.

Edit: we baaaasically have one set of classes, it's 5:00 to 7:30 with kids then adults.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 8, 2019

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

We need a roomba for mats.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Doing competition prep after class today I figured out a really cool kimura/crush variation that works really well with my usual north-south double wristlock armbar <-> kimura <-> headscissors flow :toot:

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Sensei complimented my balance and base today while situational sparring with a black belt. I think it's just because I'm holiday thick.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Question for advanced guys or that have seen it demonstrated by an advanced guy:

When doing an armbar, what is considered a better leg position? both legs underhooking the far arm or overhooking it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Question for advanced guys or that have seen it demonstrated by an advanced guy:

When doing an armbar, what is considered a better leg position? both legs underhooking the far arm or overhooking it?

I don't know if one is strictly better, I prefer "underhooks" because I can transition to elbow crush away from their legs and I like extending their arm out at that angle towards their head.

It's definitely worse if you gently caress up and cross your feet on the underhook side of the arm though because there's a toehold there

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 9, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't know if one is strictly better, I prefer "underhooks" because I can transition to elbow crush away from their legs and I like extending their arm out at that angle towards their head.

It's definitely worse if you gently caress up and cross your feet on the underhook side of the arm though because there's a toehold there

Not sure I see the elbow crush you're talking about, is there a vid online somewhere?

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 9, 2019

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Not sure I see the elbow crush you're talking about, is there a vid online somewhere?

There's a few extra/unnecessary steps here but they've got the basic idea. When I do it I'll post behind me with my right hand (assuming I'm the guy in the video) and use it to help me stay balanced and upright on the turn -- you don't need both hands or to keep the double wristlock to finish the slicer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohPmkADJys

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 9, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's a few extra/unnecessary steps here but they've got the basic idea. When I do it I'll post behind me with my right hand (assuming I'm the guy in the video) and use it to help me stay balanced and upright on the turn -- you don't need both hands or to keep the double wristlock to finish the slicer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohPmkADJys

Thanks!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsaT3ukgx4i/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=9s9x3nbky7yi

Team Shrek

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I don't know that one is better or worse. The escapes for each are different as well as the follow ups.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Odddzy posted:

Dealer's choice as far as I can tell. I used to think you needed to have your other leg over their head but I've seen some stuff recently that doesn't seem to require even that!

Jiu jitsu is getting weird

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I asked a black belt who likes arm bars about this kind of thing recently - he does not give a poo poo where the waist-side leg is, but he has a strong preference for the cross-head leg being straight and mushing the face away to limit hip mobility.

One of our brown belts has an arm bar off of his back where he keeps one leg behind the head and crosses his feet, and it looks like silly white belt stuff that needs correction, but it's super tight, kind of like an inverted S-mount armbar. I can't remember the details unfortunately even though he shows me how to do it occasionally.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've started focusing more on posturing and defensive movements and the benefit is that I am not getting tapped as much but I am also not tapping people as much either

its five minutes of grapevines and squirming which i know is the point but it feels underwhelming at times

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've started focusing more on posturing and defensive movements and the benefit is that I am not getting tapped as much but I am also not tapping people as much either

its five minutes of grapevines and squirming which i know is the point but it feels underwhelming at times

That’s how you get good, although it is boring at first. When your basics get tight then you start getting subs more and more. Survive , then get good positions and hold them then submit. But you’re right, it’s super underwhelming.

The good thing is that people that get caught up in wanting to get subs all the time will progress much slower than you will and in time you’ll start subbing them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

That’s how you get good, although it is boring at first. When your basics get tight then you start getting subs more and more. Survive , then get good positions and hold them then submit. But you’re right, it’s super underwhelming.

The good thing is that people that get caught up in wanting to get subs all the time will progress much slower than you will and in time you’ll start subbing them.

Yeah I think the big struggle, psychologically, is seeing a delay as a victory. Like, two rolls in particular stick out. One, a guy had me in a baseball bat choke but I managed to run out the clock for the next three minutes keeping him from locking it in. Another time, a guy had me in side control and I spent two minutes again running out the clock by preventing him from taking advantage.

So, on one hand, the fact they didn't finish me was a win, but I still felt like I was losing because I spent the whole time in the submissive position.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I have scored 1 sub in my entire time doing BJJ but nearly every single roll against someone around my skill level results in 5 min of struggling for position with no sub

Also I started asking for rolls from standing. Most guys just say ok but they sit on their butt while I stand. This is still cool because it’s a bit easier for me to try to pass guard. One blue belt stood along with me and I used my favorite takedown from high school on him (Russian arm tie drag into either single leg or pull down) and it felt great to not be the guy suffering for once

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Also I started asking for rolls from standing. Most guys just say ok but they sit on their butt while I stand. This is still cool because it’s a bit easier for me to try to pass guard. One blue belt stood along with me and I used my favorite takedown from high school on him (Russian arm tie drag into either single leg or pull down) and it felt great to not be the guy suffering for once

Yeah I am doing Judo classes to supplement my stand up. Someone in the thread recommended squatting instead of starting from knees and it also works well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I think the big struggle, psychologically, is seeing a delay as a victory. Like, two rolls in particular stick out. One, a guy had me in a baseball bat choke but I managed to run out the clock for the next three minutes keeping him from locking it in. Another time, a guy had me in side control and I spent two minutes again running out the clock by preventing him from taking advantage.

So, on one hand, the fact they didn't finish me was a win, but I still felt like I was losing because I spent the whole time in the submissive position.

Not getting subbed is the definition of success for a white belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3P-IzKDHs

Do this to not be grapevined, the rest of the video isn't necessarily really applicable to you if you do IBJJF Gi rulesets in your gym. But it teaches the right movements and something I use to avoid being grapevined.