Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:patriot::pervert::patriot:

I guess a healthy pervert population is necessary for democracy to thrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

By popular demand posted:

:patriot::pervert::patriot:

I guess a healthy pervert population is necessary for democracy to thrive.

Turns out Thomas Jefferson was way wrong about what the ol' tree of liberty is watered with

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know why this wasn't quoted in the next ten posts, because that is loving disgusting.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There’s nothing at all weird in a newspaper being lovely about a woman, though. :smith:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I remember there was a judge who was murdered and the headline read something like "stripper who became judge etc."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

There’s nothing at all weird in a newspaper being lovely about a woman, though. :smith:

Reads more like someone lost their thesaurus and ended up with a hosed up headline.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

C'mon I just need one more lady to complete my Rummy hand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

Reads more like someone lost their thesaurus and ended up with a hosed up headline.

Is it not commentary on how Neil treated her?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I read it as she was callously tossed aside by Neil.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Oh. I wasn't aware there was a story behind it. Well that's hosed, then.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

Oh. I wasn't aware there was a story behind it. Well that's hosed, then.

Well that’s how I interpreted it. If it were Marla Maple’s obituary, it would make total sense.

But I can’t find anything public and particularly damning about Young, so now I’m back at “editors being dumb”.

Even if journalists had heard rumours, that’s a hell of a thing to put in the subhead.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It says in the body text that Young just suddenly up and left her for Daryl Hannah so yeah, Pegi probably felt "discarded".

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

It says in the body text that Young just suddenly up and left her for Daryl Hannah so yeah, Pegi probably felt "discarded".

It's still probably not how she'd want her life summed up in a headline. In addition, a good chunk of the visible obit appears to be centered around Neil Young rather than her own accomplishments.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

EoinCannon posted:

Yeah I read it as she was callously tossed aside by Neil.

I think that's what they were going for. Still says a lot about how much women are defined by their relationships with men and how losing those relationships can be seen as a life defining tragedy.

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

That middle one is being said by a buff rabbit to a puny rabbit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tiercel posted:

It's still probably not how she'd want her life summed up in a headline. In addition, a good chunk of the visible obit appears to be centered around Neil Young rather than her own accomplishments.

No argument there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think that's what they were going for. Still says a lot about how much women are defined by their relationships with men and how losing those relationships can be seen as a life defining tragedy.

Being quickly kicked to the curb by your partner of 36 years probably qualifies as a life defining tragedy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I would have gone with “Founder of school; former wife of Neil Young” if you just had to get the Neil Young bit into the headline.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/cherokee_ema/status/1082136950843281408
https://mobile.twitter.com/people/status/1082491816073670657

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Who does this nasal motherfucker think he is, anyway. My dad likes him but fortunately I don't

e: Neil Young, not the Alabama official, I'm neutral towards the latter

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

One hungry motorist who failed to heed the warning was quoted as saying, "'Least I have chicken."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, I mean, they're in bags, right? They weren't just hauling a load of loose tendies, eh?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, I mean, they're in bags, right? They weren't just hauling a load of loose tendies, eh?

Modified tanker truck. There's talk of a Buffalo to Chicago pipeline to help prevent spills like this, but funding got cut from the last bonding bill.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Johnny Aztec posted:

They shovel em in like coal

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

jojoinnit posted:

They shovel em in like coal

Goons?

Well, yeah.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1082629954339106816

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I feel so much better about my life now, thanks mystery pervert.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheNoSleepPodcast posted:

I don't know his name but his face rings a bell.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ahahaha, another instant classic from the team at Clickhole.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Energizer doorbell: It takes a licking...

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
You discard trash. A woman can be scorned, spurned, or abandoned, and still be human. They would have had to try pretty hard to find a word that would seem to be making GBS threads on the subject harder than “discarded.”

Maybe the word was intended to reflect poorly on Neil Young, but they spent a significant chunk of the obituary yammering about him. At the very least, they need to have a talk with their editorial staff, because that word choice sucked.

Phlegmish posted:

Who does this nasal motherfucker think he is, anyway. My dad likes him but fortunately I don't

e: Neil Young, not the Alabama official, I'm neutral towards the latter

Neil Young was very, very, very good*. If you don’t like Helpless with Joni Mitchell backing him up on The Last Waltz, or Heart of Gold, or Old Man, then... I just don’t know.

* He’s still OK.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

hey, that's not illegal

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Former DILF posted:

hey, that's not illegal

trespassing is

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

trespassing is

it is but there is the question of intent

just putting up dumb signs about nebulous laws and dogs and guns doesn't give you ya know

unless you're in florida, iwc stand your ground :shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

syscall girl posted:

it is but there is the question of intent

just putting up dumb signs about nebulous laws and dogs and guns doesn't give you ya know

unless you're in florida, iwc stand your ground :shrug:

I found him officers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/wbaltv11/status/1082921320185249792

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/bill_ohs/status/1083110412818669568?s=21

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As the veteran of a thousand psychic wars, let me tell you that you're lucky that's all the backlash you got.

This is perhaps the only time I've ever seen that song referenced so kudos for that

My buddy and I in high school used to drive around blasting it, we were proto goons even then obv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sure, sure. " accidentally" christ.

The headline is misleading, the refueling was not accidental, the issue is that they didnt get charged

Like if an airplane in squadron x gets gas from a tanker in squadron y, there is paperwork done after landing to account for who used how much gas. Same applies if you gas jets from another country

In this case some poor resource advisor whose additional duty was to manage this appears to have made an error, though i personally blame the pilots for probably screwing up the forms :)