Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cadiem posted:

If they were from a random challenge or something that would be fine, but 15 bucks for a single 3* is crazy.

Its not that crazy when you consider that it comes with $14 worth of currency (when using the $20 purchase as a benchmark). So even if you ignore the three 3 star covers, the outfit costs $1.

I don’t have any intention of buying any of them. I almost bought out the cheap vault, but with only a single 4 star Luke Cage, it wasn’t worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Roxxon Oil is still recruiting. Join for the Ultron event this weekend and help us help you get 4 star covers for *checks notes* Ultimate Prowler?

Sesq fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 27, 2018

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Sesq posted:

Roxxon Oil is still recruiting. Join for the Ultron event this weekend and help us help you get 4 star covers for *checks notes* Ultimate Prowler?

Ultron is this weekend?

Ugh, you have my sword.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno if it's just the winter season kicking in or if I've lucked into some super chill seasonal bracket but I'm Top 50 in Seasonal so far despite having skipped multiple PvPs.

Or maybe it's cause people haven't done their 2K in SHIELD yet.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
if your top 10 in sim isn't people with 4k+ at this point you are in a chill bracket

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Looks like a new alliance-wide event is starting tomorrow, the Sinister 600. If anyone out there is not in an alliance, now's a good time to join. Bone Rangers could use a few people.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

CidGregor posted:

Looks like a new alliance-wide event is starting tomorrow, the Sinister 600. If anyone out there is not in an alliance, now's a good time to join. Bone Rangers could use a few people.

1 spot, though there's a few who've been inactive a couple months. Pretty chill alliance, seems most everyone has VIP. Not a buyer's club by any means, though once in awhile you load up and get a +3 CP message.
Less than 4 hours before the event starts. We tend to do fairly well on the alliance events.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Sesq posted:

Applied, username is lessthansanity

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Applied, username is lessthansanity

Got it. Thanks!

You know what Kitty, you're good people.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Welp, 4/5 saved covers on my 5/5/2 Iceman. At least no matter what next cover I get will get me to 5/5/3.

Edit: lol just noticed my 5/0/2 Miles has three saved covers too.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 15, 2018

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

BGrifter posted:

Welp, 4/5 saved covers on my 5/5/2 Iceman. At least no matter what next cover I get will get me to 5/5/3.

Edit: lol just noticed my 5/0/2 Miles has three saved covers too.

Alternately you could keep stockpiling those covers, because you can keep them forever and you don't HAVE to spend them, and once you finally get the cover you actually need, you can immediately give him 5+ champion levels.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thanks to Heoes for Hire, I finally have a 5* Doc Ock that’s usable. Are there any particularly good teams that use him?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorta tempted to level my 4/2/5 Thanos for PvE but that'll gently caress up my PvP matchings I feel.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Sorta tempted to level my 4/2/5 Thanos for PvE but that'll gently caress up my PvP matchings I feel.

Just level him to whatever your highest 4* is and you’ll be fine.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That'd be like 40 levels at most, which doesn't really feel like much of a boost.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Turns out my boosted 4*s are almost 400, so I leveled Thanos as high as I could to 405 and wow fucker hits hard.

Sorta lacks synergy with Chavez though since he stuns his team and his Purple prevents her from dropping Crit Tiles.

But his Black is awesome so it's all good.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
God help me I’m actually getting into this while cooped up at my in-laws, is there a guide anywhere? Not really for the match-3 aspect but progression, the metagame, whether there’s a point to hopping in now or if I’m thousands of hours/dollars from participating etc

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
the goal posts keep moving and 5* land is all about being king daddy whale but if you just come to terms with the fact that you will never catch up to the end game its a fun little match game that lets you collect them all while also watching numbers go up. There's also been a ton of changes to low and mid level reward structures so that being new now is way easier than it used to be so by all means welcome to the game. My tips:

a) Find an alliance. There's a few here that will be happy to have you but the daily bonus alone is worth joining even the most casual of public alliances.

b) Do the prologue, some nodes have more than one good reward so make sure you repeat those. There's tons of good stuff in there, including some solid 2* covers. Be sure to try and join all the pvp and story events though, even if you just do one node that will get you a basic participation award at the end and those can add up.

c) gently caress placement. There's some good stuff in there but you'll burn yourself out chasing that dragon. There's plenty of good stuff in progression rewards.

d) You're going to want to save all your HP for roster slots. They are cheap now but the cost increases and eventually caps at 1k each. You'll get to a point eventually when you're going to want to hang on to your tokens until you have enough hp to roster any new characters you pull rather than have to toss rarer covers.

e) Don't get too attached to your 1 star characters. They will fall behind quickly. You need at least one for Daily Deadpool but usually one is enough(I like Juggernaut.)

f) Low level play is all about trying to punch up while hanging on to as much health as you can. Against champions this means stuns but against mooks you need some way to deal with countdown tiles. As you get farther along it becomes more about synergy between champions, usually to feed AP to your best nuker so that you can kill the enemy as quickly as possible.

g) Every non-blonde Widow is worth having. Every Thor is a beast but 3* Thor is kinda outshined by more useful champs. Iron Man Model 40 and Vulture are the best batteries in the game, you want them.

2 stars I like:
OBW - Original black widow's blue increases enemy countdown timers which is invaluable for keeping you alive against mooks. Her black passive only works if she matches the color so its usefulness depends on team comp and boosts. Her pink costs more AP at higher ranks, I usually leave it at 4.
Thor - Leave red at 3 and use his yellow to feed his green.
Hawkeye/Magneto/Storm - Mags is another character whose skills cost more at higher rank. Leave red and blue at 4 and use his pink to match 5 blues. This will feed Storm's baller rear end blue and trigger Hawkeye's pink passive(the only reason he's on this team.) Storm's yellow got nerfed to hell where it belongs but her green is amazing because it collects the AP from destroyed tiles.

3stars I like together:

IM40 - IRON MAN MODEL 40 GET HIM. His red and blue are problematic because they drain your other colors but his yellow is stupid powerful AP generation. Need to feed a red, blue or green champ? Get IM40. There's a drop of pink in there too just for giggles.
Captain America - Super Steve's powers are expensive but his red is a nuke that replaces a chosen tile and almost refunds itself and his blue is a stun that replaces a chosen tile and almost refunds itself. At 5 ranks they can replace countdown tiles. Paired with IM40 6 yellow can get him rolling and completely control every match.

Scarlet Witch - Her pink is team damage plus a stun and her passive can generate an insane amount of pink. Works for as main damage or to feed pink to
Grey Suit Widow - Use her pink at full rank to gain tons of green, clear the board, and make Match 5s. Use her green for massive damage and to destroy tiles.
Pair them with someone off color like 3* Magneto or just put IM40 in there because why not

Strange and Thanos
This can be problematic because of the team damage but for grinding mook nodes it's fast as hell. Every time a mook places a countdown tile it triggers Strange's passive, healing you for a bit and hurting the enemy for a lot. Once you kill one Thanos steps in and fucks up the rest. Rotate out your third wheel with whoever isn't dead so you save your health packs for Strange.

There's tons of other fun combos but I've already gone on forever

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Maldraedior posted:

Strange and Thanos

Personally I find that Dr Strange works better with a character who creates strike tiles so that his counterattack becomes that much stronger. In 3* land Blade was my go-to strike tile battery, which works doubly well because he can throw attack tiles into the mix to get jacked up by the strike tiles too. And once in 4* land, any combo of Rocket&Groot, Nova and/or 4* Blade paired with Dr Strange turns him into a murder machine against mooks without all that pesky self-damage Thanos causes.

King Bahamut posted:

God help me I’m actually getting into this while cooped up at my in-laws, is there a guide anywhere? Not really for the match-3 aspect but progression, the metagame, whether there’s a point to hopping in now or if I’m thousands of hours/dollars from participating etc

Mal is right, definitely join an alliance. There's a couple of casual goon alliances that post here. I run Bone Rangers which currently has some spots open. You'll get at least like 1300 iso-8 a day plus a few other random rewards based on how everyone does in each event, and it's the only way you can feasibly participate in Boss events, which the entire alliance contributes to and gets rewards for based on how many phases of the boss we clear, which usually includes at least one or two covers for a 4* character.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CidGregor posted:

Personally I find that Dr Strange works better with a character who creates strike tiles so that his counterattack becomes that much stronger. In 3* land Blade was my go-to strike tile battery, which works doubly well because he can throw attack tiles into the mix to get jacked up by the strike tiles too. And once in 4* land, any combo of Rocket&Groot, Nova and/or 4* Blade paired with Dr Strange turns him into a murder machine against mooks without all that pesky self-damage Thanos causes.

i like cage/if/strange in 3* land, attack tiles arent as good as strike tiles for damage boosting off of the passive strange damage but its not nothing. plus IF purple is waaaay better than strange purple and cage can punch with yellow.

all this team is missing really is a red active which is kind of irritating.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
It's kinda weird how my 5* seem to clump in one color cover that's insanely useful.

Okoye's Black is the only one I have, but I have 4 of that cover, so she basically teams up with Medusa (just champed) and 3* Strange (I'd use 5* if I had him) to just melt foes in PVE

Kitty is 1/5/1, so combining her with Carnage (not champed yet, but shits out tiles like crazy that Kitty can boost to ridiculous levels) and Medusa (heal when own tiles are matched, +AP when opponents tiles are matched, not to mention stealing and improving all those enemy tiles that Carnage is dropping).

Other folks I find useful. Deadpool 4* (Level 250). Combined with Okoye, if you time the purple right you can easily do 10-15K damage in a turn or two. Plus his red is a character finisher, and he's good against quick moving starts (like Gamora 4*/Rocket and Groot 4*/Medusa) by immediately bringing pain back against key characters)

Deadpool/4* Wolvie/Okoye was one of my go to teams, the synergy between Deadpool's Purple, Wolvies Black and Okoye's Team Up Boost was an I Win Button, but I feel like it's just too many things that you have to line up, where Kitty/Medusa/Carnage is basically "Don't let Kitty get killed by a massive Damage power that will kill before you can heal back up" and if you play long enough you win:

Edit: I think my dream team right now would be Kitty/4* Rocket and Groot/??? to get the DPS scaling right from the start, but you still may need to bring Carnage because if they match a couple of R&G's early strike tiles Kitty never gets started.)

Edit 2: If I can get Kitty's yellow to 5, it looks like it would boost strike/attack tiles by 1500 a turn (in total)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 27, 2018

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Thanks everyone, bought a starter pack and have stuck with it/have a handful of *** and I’m still working through the mechanics. King Bahamut on there if an alliance is open

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So a search for Roxxon Oil. We're the best and most awesome alliance.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

We've got a spot in Pizza Dog too, if you don't want to be constantly reminded of daredevil season 2

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ignite Memories posted:

We've got a spot in Pizza Dog too, if you don't want to be constantly reminded of daredevil season 2

Bah gawd, Roxxon Oil has been broken in half. :bahgawd:

Jack Deth
May 29, 2005

Welcome to the 21st century.
Goonery also welcomes new players.

Relaxed alliance with a couple of open spots. Daily play and alliance events.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Ignite Memories posted:

You son of a bitch!

...I can't even try and talk poo poo about a dog that likes pizza. :negative:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sent a request to join pizza dog. I’m playing this a little bit right now again. Just hit day 1000, but haven’t played in like a year. Still trying to figure out the changes

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
For Simulator, Kitty's at 470 for me (360 normally).

Her yellow boosts 5 tiles (strike/attack/defend) by 428 each.

Carnage is boosted as well, 306 (normally 217)
His black drops 3 159 Attack

and the baby of the team, Rocket and Groot 4* 152
Starts battles with 5 strike 109 tiles

This means damage goes up pretty much exponentially :)

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Yeah, Kitty came out of nowhere to become an MVP for me. I was just trying to roster Cable and kept getting more and more Kittys until I actually tried doing a required node with her and she just wrecked it. Now I'm hoping to get even more while I continue to try to roster Kingpin.

It's a shame she's not classified as a Guardian of the Galaxy despite running it a couple years back for the extra bonus Rocket gets

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah kitty / carnage / R4G is good and fun lol. I’ve 13/13d all these latest 5*s and while I wanna keep pulling for more kitty covers I really need to save up for the next 5s.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tempted to level Silver Surfer since he 1) doesn't get stunned, 2) has the most covers among my 5*s (5/2/5), and 3) has a self-heal, making him a useful partner for Thanos in PvE and Shield PvP (not in the 2-day PvPs cause I need Chavez for her Crit Tiles).

On the other hand Ieveling Thanos is already giving me annoying PvP matchups, having another 5* at a high level would just make it even worse.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Sent a request for Bone Rangers. Want to get in on Galictus I’m hiro2k

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Janitor Prime posted:

Sent a request for Bone Rangers. Want to get in on Galictus I’m hiro2k

Got you in. Sorry, was at work all day and missed the first slice.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Joined Goonery as VisualPne. Since Bounce house is dead.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
For future reference, are the deals where it's 250 cp for a 4* cover, and boatload of red iso, and some high level support tokens worth getting? I'm still working on my 3* character, so I don't have anything to spend cp on.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
If you get into a 5/5/2 situation with a thre star, it’s sometimes worth it to use the 20cp to get the missing cover. It ends up being a somewhat wash since you get a token worth 25cp for the first champ cover.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Andorra posted:

For future reference, are the deals where it's 250 cp for a 4* cover, and boatload of red iso, and some high level support tokens worth getting? I'm still working on my 3* character, so I don't have anything to spend cp on.

Like 99% of the time no it’s not worth it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I had a feeling about that. I wouldn't have done it if supports were easier to get in general. Except of course now I read that the developers are going to be making changes to the game that do just that. Ah well, the ones I managed to get are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m in the end game and honestly supports aren’t that great and they make matches take longer. I still use them but they are kinda a just there thing.