Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
non-lovely cyberpunk dystopia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1rPA8sVJ-w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

oh yeah, forcing a fork or bad block into the blockchain could never happen, it would take too much processing power

GUESS WHAT BABIES ethereum classic got hit for a half-mil exactly that way

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

quote:

Rollback attacks are often referred to as 51-percent attacks, because, in theory, they require an attacker to control a majority of the CPU power generating a blockchain. Such an arrangement violates a core requirement of any blockchain-based currency: it allows a single entity to write the contents of its universal, shared transaction history.

Lmao

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/palladiummag/status/1080280195091750912

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

oh yeah, forcing a fork or bad block into the blockchain could never happen, it would take too much processing power

GUESS WHAT BABIES ethereum classic got hit for a half-mil exactly that way

lmao. it’s such a poetic attack vector in how it mirrors the capitalist system at large

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

The boomers just can't let go. It's because of poo poo like this that research into immortality and anti-aging should be abandoned. Someday in the near future one generation is going to take power and never let it go until they are actually murdered.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Local Weather posted:

The boomers just can't let go. It's because of poo poo like this that research into immortality and anti-aging should be abandoned. Someday in the near future one generation is going to take power and never let it go until they are actually murdered.

not abandoned, just shelved until fully automated luxury gay space communism

considering the other possible human conditions, this is arguably a humanitarian stance

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Local Weather posted:

That's happening right now with the Boomers.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the genetically enhanced ruling class is juyst gonna be lots of literally demented old people but with big pink heads and bodies like sam hyde

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Farm Frenzy posted:

the genetically enhanced ruling class is juyst gonna be lots of literally demented old people but with big pink heads and bodies like sam hyde

and also their viscera got all swole and tumor-y because it turns out the 'human' part of human growth hormone isn't all that picky

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is just Virek from Count Zero but dumber

quote:

And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

univbee posted:

That's happening right now with the Boomers.

I agree but I think of this more as a prototype, unless some sort of breakthrough comes in the next 3-5 years most of the boomers will be dead anyway.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Local Weather posted:

I agree but I think of this more as a prototype, unless some sort of breakthrough comes in the next 3-5 years most of the boomers will be dead anyway.

the poor boomers will be dead

the rich ones can probably hang on for another couple of decades

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

StashAugustine posted:

And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.

NICK LAND: the capitalists will grow face tentacles
REALITY: Habsburg jaw

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the median boomer will be dead in just a few years, its time to re-focus our hate on gen-x shitheads

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

the poor boomers will be dead

the rich ones can probably hang on for another couple of decades

kissinger!!! :argh:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

StabbinHobo posted:

the median boomer will be dead in just a few years, its time to re-focus our hate on gen-x shitheads

:hai:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
plenty of millenial shitheads to hate

no war but class war

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Local Weather posted:

The boomers are probably actually going to kill themselves off faster by injecting themselves full of hormones tbh

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A $20,243 bike crash: Zuckerberg hospital’s aggressive tactics leave patients with big bills

I spent a year writing about ER bills. Zuckerberg San Francisco General has the most surprising billing practices I’ve seen.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/7/18137967/er-bills-zuckerberg-san-francisco-general-hospital

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

A $20,243 bike crash: Zuckerberg hospital’s aggressive tactics leave patients with big bills

I spent a year writing about ER bills. Zuckerberg San Francisco General has the most surprising billing practices I’ve seen.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/7/18137967/er-bills-zuckerberg-san-francisco-general-hospital

not surprising imo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"Zuckerberg San Francisco General (ZSFG), recently renamed for the Facebook founder after he donated $75 million, is the largest public hospital in San Francisco and the city’s only top-tier trauma center. But it doesn’t participate in the networks of any private health insurers — a surprise patients like Dang learn after assuming their coverage includes a trip to a large public ER.

Most big hospital ERs negotiate prices for care with major health insurance providers and are considered “in-network.” Zuckerberg San Francisco General has not done that bargaining with private plans, making them “out-of-network.” That leaves many insured patients footing big bills."

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I’m only surprised more hospitals don’t do likewise. ER patients are the perfect captive market.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
oh poo poo that’s why Bezos and Cook are so jacked.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vox Nihili posted:

"Zuckerberg San Francisco General (ZSFG), recently renamed for the Facebook founder after he donated $75 million, is the largest public hospital in San Francisco and the city’s only top-tier trauma center. But it doesn’t participate in the networks of any private health insurers — a surprise patients like Dang learn after assuming their coverage includes a trip to a large public ER.

Most big hospital ERs negotiate prices for care with major health insurance providers and are considered “in-network.” Zuckerberg San Francisco General has not done that bargaining with private plans, making them “out-of-network.” That leaves many insured patients footing big bills."

How the gently caress does a "public hospital" charge people!?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

lol, exorbitantly. public doesn't mean subsidized, it just means its open to the public, to bankrupt them

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Frog Act posted:

lol, exorbitantly. public doesn't mean subsidized, it just means its open to the public, to bankrupt them

That's not what a public anything means!

Goddamn America is the worst.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Remulak posted:

oh poo poo that’s why Bezos and Cook are so jacked.

Yeah, Bezos just looks like the archetypal roided-to-gently caress old guy.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you're on one of the public plans then you're typically OK. If you're not (most people are not) then they just treat you without telling you that you hosed up by showing your face there, then pick an arbitrary large number and bill you for that amount. Your insurance nopes out and pays maybe 10% (or nothing) and then you get to squabble over how much you're actually willing/able to pay for the next few months/years. Presumably they have an extremely robust billing/collections department.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Are stem cells still controversial or it is it okay to inject yourself with a bunch for dubious benefits now?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

If you're on one of the public plans then you're typically OK. If you're not (most people are not) then they just treat you without telling you that you hosed up by showing your face there, then pick an arbitrary large number and bill you for that amount. Your insurance nopes out and pays maybe 10% (or nothing) and then you get to squabble over how much you're actually willing/able to pay for the next few months/years. Presumably they have an extremely robust billing/collections department.

love to have a free market healthcare system where all prices are a total mystery until a bill that’s orders of magnitude higher than it has any right to be winds up in your mailbox

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

love to have a free market healthcare system where all prices are a total mystery until a bill that’s orders of magnitude higher than it has any right to be winds up in your mailbox

And also you're forced to "buy" from this provider because you were unconscious or more concerned with not dying at the time

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

And also you're forced to "buy" from this provider because you were unconscious or more concerned with not dying at the time

yup, plenty of choice in this free market oh wait you were hauled in unconscious on a stretcher or in blinding pain and weren’t in a state of mind conductive to haggling or double-checking which hospitals are in network or not

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

^^also, you can't even take the word of the actual hospital/doctor for granted that they accept your insurance because half the time they're not even sure who they're in network with. Insurance companies deliberately make it as obtuse as possible to figure out where you can get medical care so they can avoid paying

Vox Nihili posted:

When I worked in the healthcare field a 50% collection rate was considered excellent. Unfortunately almost all the people actually paying for their healthcare are the poorest segment of society. Rich folks and insurance companies are extremely practiced at getting out of paying stuff, so they end up paying little-to-nothing. Since most companies collect so little of what they actually bill, they just reflexively raise prices every year to compensate, and voila here we are.

Every medical provider I've worked for would be very happy with medicare-for-all - even though they pay far less than insurance company rates - for the simple reason that they actually pay you for providing services instead of sending of sending you through bureaucratic hell before deciding not to pay a year later.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
that's one good thing about working for a big employer where all of the unionized employees are on basically the same health plan. all the doctors around here know what's up when they see your medical card.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
ive gotten both of my kidney stone hospital bills written off by showing how low my income is

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I’m about to get my maybe-broken arm treated for free.

:canada:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
"literary dystopias, ranked by how likely you'd survive them"
"the 7 best times men were terrified of women in classic literature"
"if the greek gods had tinder"

i'm so sick of every website having linked content like this

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"you won't believe what managed to piss off this SA poster"