Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Toshimo posted:

Never mind.

gently caress this poo poo forever.

She added a mind flayer to the crab fight, went first, and Mind blasted the whole party.

"A DM who ran this for me did this and it was FUN!

And the world's shittiest monster strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toshimo posted:

Never mind.

She added a mind flayer to the crab fight, went first, and Mind blasted the whole party.

lmao awesome

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
3 saves later.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
So I’ve been running Battle Century G recently and I like how the Crippling debuff works in it. When applied you can still move, but take damage for each space you move.

So it’s player choice between being rooted or trading off hp to move. Just thought of it because of all this mind blast discussion.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Never mind.

After the poo poo storm of this threads bad opinions on save or dont get to play mechanics this is an extremely good palate cleanser.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

Never mind.

:smugwizard:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Malpais Legate posted:

And the world's shittiest monster strikes again.

But it doesn't even mention awakened dire weasels

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Anything that starts with "Awakened dire" eventually ends with "is really cool", let's go

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Azhais posted:

But it doesn't even mention awakened dire weasels

Corrupted Awakened Fel Frost Dire Weasels.

Coming WoW in 2020.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

Never mind.

But there are no Mind Flayers in Whiteplume Mountain. Meaning she added it in just to buff up the fight.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 9, 2019

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

But there are no Mind Flayers in Whiteplume Mountain.

Of the three times I've run it, every time the DM hosed with things for funsies. Twice, those choices were disastrous. One led to character death and the other would have without some really obvious pulled punches.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Of the three times I've run it, every time the DM hosed with things for funsies. Twice, those choices were disastrous. One led to character death and the other would have without some really obvious pulled punches.

The DM afterwards on Discord:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Toshimo posted:

The DM afterwards on Discord:

This sounds like a bad session. Sounds like everyone got hosed except the player that got given a super powerful magic item.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kidkissinger posted:

This sounds like a bad session. Sounds like everyone got hosed except the player that got given a super powerful magic item.

TO be fair, we cruise controlled the whole thing except that fight and only part of it was having 1 overloaded old money dude. The other half was that we basically shortcut every hazard with tight play.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

TO be fair, we cruise controlled the whole thing except that fight and only part of it was having 1 overloaded old money dude. The other half was that we basically shortcut every hazard with tight play.

Admittedly the two groups I had that got wrecked real bad owed to playing with dumbos while the DM tuned it to being against a group of clones of me. In the one I ran as a bard, I took a Cloak of Stars with me 'cause I was like "gently caress it, these people are going to be garbage at damage and I'm going to need to do literally everything myself." I was right.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I ran White Plume back in 2017 for 3 players and they absolutely demolished the place. Berserker barbarian/devotion paladin with GWM/death cleric. The crab never got to attack, neither did the genie dude. The only time they ran into trouble was when I dropped 3 fire genies on them when they tried to leave and even then the combat took 7 rounds instead of the usual 2-3.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's extremely good gameplay design that one monster's singular ability changes the fight from "extremely easy" to "near party wipe" with no warning to the GM about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
An ability that halves the parties actions per turn would be much more fair if it just gave her two turns for the party's one instead of some people getting hosed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Admittedly the two groups I had that got wrecked real bad owed to playing with dumbos while the DM tuned it to being against a group of clones of me. In the one I ran as a bard, I took a Cloak of Stars with me 'cause I was like "gently caress it, these people are going to be garbage at damage and I'm going to need to do literally everything myself." I was right.

The spread on T2 is awful and the magic item pile exacerbated it a lot. We had a dude doing 100+ damage a turn and I was averaging like 15.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's extremely good gameplay design that one monster's singular ability changes the fight from "extremely easy" to "near party wipe" with no warning to the GM about it.

It's mostly terrible lovely design, part GM incompetence to look at that statline and not go 'woah, this save is pretty high for a multi-target one-shot ability with that much duration...'

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

An ability that halves the parties actions per turn would be much more fair if it just gave her two turns for the party's one instead of some people getting hosed.

Psionic nonleathal damage.

It's right there, has the same general effect, but is way easier to work with and recover from.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How did blackrazor take out a vampire, am I missing something? I thought attacking undead with it backfired

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mastershakeman posted:

How did blackrazor take out a vampire, am I missing something? I thought attacking undead with it backfired

He swapped off Bloodrazor to his Tyr's Justice for that fight.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone done any non-bladelock, non-paladin, non-Arcana cleric gish builds they enjoyed?

I've wanted to do it with Nature cleric but the stats are a pain vs Arcana. I've wondered if there's any purpose for the tomelock Shillelagh gish in a Post-hexblade world. Tempest pretends to gish but really desperately needs a magic item for STR to pull it off. I've wanted to do a high elf swashbuckler with Booming Blade but never had the opportunity.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Blackrazor is so strong it's honestly worth it to hit undead with it even even through the 1d10 self damage and 1d10 HP recover on the baddies. But if you have a decent 1h weapon to offhand while holding Blackrazor in the other, that's okay too.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone done any non-bladelock, non-paladin, non-Arcana cleric gish builds they enjoyed?

I've wanted to do it with Nature cleric but the stats are a pain vs Arcana. I've wondered if there's any purpose for the tomelock Shillelagh gish in a Post-hexblade world. Tempest pretends to gish but really desperately needs a magic item for STR to pull it off. I've wanted to do a high elf swashbuckler with Booming Blade but never had the opportunity.

Only played it for a little bit, but Shield&Stick (works with spears now!) PAM+Warcaster EK with BB and Dueling Fighting Style works nicely. The Meme Blade route takes a while to come online (level 8 minimum, and 14 to really explode), but it has potential if you're looking to deal stupid amounts of damage.

Speaking of Shadow Blade, Bladesinger + Elven Accuracy with it is very solid.

Note Arcana works better than Nature because it gets to apply WIS to both GFB targets at 8.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 9, 2019

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, Arcana is the one that *just works* but I've wanted to do Nature if anything could make it not a mess on ability points because Spike Growth is awesome and 90% of arcana cleric domain might as well be ribbon.

Even so, Arcana works, double dips into improved cantrips on gfb, and uses wisdom for gfb while Nature (or a magic initiate druid if you're weird) can't use their main casting stat on it.

That's why I'm looking for weird left field gish options. Hexblade, arcana gish and paladin multis stand out so bright.

I do think if you're not playing up to 8 there's a case for spore druid with Booming Blade but again gfb will be disappointing.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That's why I'm looking for weird left field gish options. Hexblade, arcana gish and paladin multis stand out so bright.

I’m still a fan of Grave Cleric. With Hill Dwarf background for the extra HP and Con/Wis stat boosts it can hold its own. Dip Fighter or Paladin for a fighting style and heavy armor and you’ll be in pretty decent shape in melee range.

I abused Bane, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Spirit Guardians depending on how close I wanted to be to things.

Turn enemy critical hits off, set up vulnerability curses just before your paladin goes nova, and automatically max the healing word when your buddy goes down.

It’s pretty fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Decided to make a dragoon type character out of a Dragonborn Hexblade knight, using the Fly spell and Jump Expert invocation. I don’t know how useful jumping in combat will be, even with the Jump spell, but I think it’ll be a fun character.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nearly completely useless in combat.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Jump doesn't do anything notable in combat because you can still only move up to your speed, even if the jump distance is further.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It lets you pretend you're Errol Flynn

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It lets you briefly lie to yourself about the possibility of being a cool acrobatic swashbuckler until you realize that D&D has never once taught DMs to actually set a stage and create interesting places to fight in, and that you will basically never get to be a cool swashbuckler unless you artificially push for chances yourself, and then hope your GM knows not to set multiple checks for no real reward.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ProfessorCirno posted:

It lets you briefly lie to yourself about the possibility of being a cool acrobatic swashbuckler until you realize that D&D has never once taught DMs to actually set a stage and create interesting places to fight in, and that you will basically never get to be a cool swashbuckler unless you artificially push for chances yourself, and then hope your GM knows not to set multiple checks for no real reward.

Rolling dice is its own reward. :smaug:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ProfessorCirno posted:

Well, we do believe if it’s cool or funny, it’s worth doing.

My last character was dying after a fireball, and I petitioned a roll to see if my posessed murder glove would pull me out of the burning building. I rolled a 1, so I started to strangle myself instead. I managed to remove the glove, but I still succumbed to lovely death saves.

The DM apologized for killing me, but I was happy to die by my own hand.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DM wants to run Strahd. Is a Conquest Paladin gonna have a bad time / is too much stuff immune to fear in the module to be worth it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

DM wants to run Strahd. Is a Conquest Paladin gonna have a bad time / is too much stuff immune to fear in the module to be worth it?

If they are immune to Fear, just generate "Fear" through superior DPS.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conquests whole schtick is about fear to control space though. His aura does literally nothing without fear

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Conquests whole schtick is about fear to control space though. His aura does literally nothing without fear

There's a pretty good guide to playing oath of conquest on GITP. The author even handles what to do if you run into fear-immune stuff.

e: if you don't want to go there, basically you're still a paladin and you can still be annoying to get around by sticking close to the rest of your party so they benefit from your other auras. You can also take Sentinel.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay but the thing I'm trying to get answered is can I expect the primary feature of the class to work in this campaign

Edit: I'm asking if it's gonna mostly be undead

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 11, 2019

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay but the thing I'm trying to get answered is can I expect the primary feature of the class to work in this campaign

Edit: I'm asking if it's gonna mostly be undead

Oh. I can say it's going to be like 50-60% undead. Probably not the best idea to go Conquest for a Strahd campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Some of the mobs you run into (mindless undead) are immune and a handful of things have magic resistance, but for the most part it shouldn't be an issue.

Just bear in mind you get the aura at 7 and the module only runs till 9, so you'll only get to play with fear poo poo very little unless the DM drags on the victory lap.