Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

It's election day in Vancouver and the unabashed YIMBY party YES Vancouver looks to be headed to defeat. The Mayoral candidate leader of the municipal slate, Councillor Hector Bremner has been polling way down the pack in barely double digits. The Globe and Mail published two election round up articles, one focusing specifically on housing, and he wasn't even mentioned.

If you want to see an example of what a real non-hypothetical YIMBY party platform looks like you can download a big policy PDF here https://yesvancouver.ca/letsfixhousing-action-plan/

Broadly what they're advocating is a city wide rezone to allow four story apartment buildings everywhere. In contrast other pro-development parties are more incrementalist in advocating studying how Vancouver could get to triplexes and fourplexes (The city just changed zoning to allow duplexes city wide).

Unfortunately the defeat of this party will not likely give any indication of Vancouver's opinion toward the YIMBY ideas that YES is advocating for as Bremner himself is proved to be a rather polarizing figure. Bremner comes from the right of centre and previously worked for the deeply unpopular and recently ejected from provincial government BC Liberal party. It's possible that Vancouver is ready for the ideas that Bremner is proposing, but he's not the right man to usher in these changes.

Update this guy got absolutely roasted in the election and came no where close to getting elected. Unfortunately it's hard to say whether this is because he used to work for an unpopular political party, or the public rejects market yimbyism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
For the record land use is shaped by public transport. I can’t really think of many places in London I’d want to go that aren’t quicker and easier by walking, cycling or public transport- especially at peak times.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Elon Musk had a brilliant [citation needed] never before seen [citation needed] idea to fix traffic congestion:

Build double decker freeways.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Sunrise posted:

Elon Musk had a brilliant [citation needed] never before seen [citation needed] idea to fix traffic congestion:

Build double decker freeways.

quote plz

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/awalkerinLA/status/1060683628093464577

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so is he just using his celebrity status to kick down the door and show off his bob moses cosplay or what

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

tbf “his first idea” implies he eventually rejected it too

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

suck my woke dick posted:

Also his idea was a way to make pre-fab steel framed highway sections, he wasn't claiming his idea was to have highways at all.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

Well the idea he settled on of building tunnels for no reason also sucks

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also his idea was a way to make pre-fab steel framed highway sections, he wasn't claiming his idea was to have highways at all.

i guess someone managed to get it across to him that this already exists

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

More highways don't alleviate traffic very long as people adapt to the new roads and encourage more cars.

BUILD A RELIABLE COMMUTER RAIL SYSTEM.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The issue is simply public transit is about 30-40 years delayed from where it should be, although there is some progress. Obviously everyone knows about the Red Cars scandal at this point.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ardennes posted:

The issue is simply public transit is about 30-40 years delayed from where it should be, although there is some progress. Obviously everyone knows about the Red Cars scandal at this point.

This maybe a New England solution but I think the towns should start working together more to expand their regional transit options. That would require, however, towns to actually care about long term transit.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 12, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

This maybe a New England solution but I think the towns should start working together more to expand their regional transit options. That would require, however, towns to actually care about long term transit.

LA's transit agency covers the county which includes a bunch of smaller cities, and there is a fair amount of cross-county cooperation. A lot of the issue though is just the amount of money it takes to build infrastructure in 2018 LA. LA just needs tens of billions to catch up at this point, and the federal government is going to have to pony up some money. Some funding has been raised through sales taxes but there is a limit of how much you can push it.

Likewise, New York is going to have to spend billions to fix its existing system, but at the end of the day, it is money that is going to come back through efficiency.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yiiiiissssss, die cars die: https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/11/spain-nationwide-car-free-city-center-car-ban/576976/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

That sounds... un-American :fsmug:

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
On Tokyo's successes in market based housing affordability

https://medium.com/land-buildings-identity-and-values/what-is-the-secret-to-tokyos-affordable-housing-266283531012

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Not sure if this is the best place for this or not, but since it's a sloooow thread...

Does anyone have any suggestions for good books about affordable housing policy? I'm interested in it, but I'm realizing that most of what I know is based on blog posts, gut feelings, and stupid internet arguments.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Insanite posted:

Not sure if this is the best place for this or not, but since it's a sloooow thread...

Does anyone have any suggestions for good books about affordable housing policy? I'm interested in it, but I'm realizing that most of what I know is based on blog posts, gut feelings, and stupid internet arguments.

are you looking for something more academic or pop sociology? one of the issues with studying urban planning from the lay perspective is that unlike history or something there aren't a lot of people out there writing basic intros for curious adults from outside of the graduate school and up level, so you'll rapidly end up looking at $50 lit review compilations. if that's fine though check out The Affordable Housing Reader

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I'm down for either, but I'm fine with dry and wonky.

I just ordered The Affordable Housing Reader this morning--encouraging to see a recommendation.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 8, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
cool, and if you want further reading i'd suggest looking around for an appropriate syllabus from any graduate program class on affordable housing and just stealing that reading list. if you want to study this topic on a wonky level then you might as well go straight to the academic source

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

That is a good suggestion and I feel dumb for not just doing it in the first place. :doh:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
well normally you wouldn't have to go that route but like i said, there's a real lack of moderate level books on specific contemporary urban planning topics that aren't clearly advocacy books slanted one way or the other so if you want something better than blog posts you're pretty much going to have to go right into collections of current essays and research

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Insanite posted:

Anything interest you here?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/apr/25/top-10-books-on-council-housing-public-john-boughton-zadie-smith-lynsey-hanley

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
This is a good article if you can find it for free.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

luxury handset posted:

well normally you wouldn't have to go that route but like i said, there's a real lack of moderate level books on specific contemporary urban planning topics that aren't clearly advocacy books slanted one way or the other so if you want something better than blog posts you're pretty much going to have to go right into collections of current essays and research

No biggie. There's definitely a paucity there, but I'll manage.

Just about all of them! I'll put them in my queue.

I think I can ferret it out, yeah.

Thanks x 3!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
From a month ago, but I was too lazy to post it: Minneapolis, Tackling Housing Crisis and Inequity, Votes to End Single-Family Zoning

quote:

In a bold move to address its affordable-housing crisis and confront a history of racist housing practices, Minneapolis has decided to eliminate single-family zoning, a classification that has long perpetuated segregation.

The Minneapolis City Council voted last Friday to get rid of the category and instead allow residential structures with up to three dwelling units — like duplexes and triplexes — in every neighborhood. Minneapolis is believed to be the first major city in the United States to approve such a change citywide.

Peggy Reinhardt, 75, an advocate who supported the decision, hopes the change will mean more housing options around her Uptown Minneapolis neighborhood. She sees young couples in apartments who cannot afford to scale up to $400,000 houses, while elderly residents nearby are “house rich and cash poor” and have few options to downsize in their neighborhood.

“It’s that missing middle,” she said.
Basically, in addition to upzoning along major transit routes, the Council has enabled triplexes across the city. This hopefully means that we'll see more duplexes and triplexes going up (or into newly-renovated homes)—as opposed to the single-family homes (often McMansions) that were the only things allowed previously.

It's not the answer to the problem of affordability, but it's an important piece of the puzzle. Unmentioned in the article are the less contentious portions of the plan that outline direct investment in affordable housing, modes of transportation beyond just cars, and more.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cugel the Clever posted:

From a month ago, but I was too lazy to post it: Minneapolis, Tackling Housing Crisis and Inequity, Votes to End Single-Family Zoning

Basically, in addition to upzoning along major transit routes, the Council has enabled triplexes across the city. This hopefully means that we'll see more duplexes and triplexes going up (or into newly-renovated homes)—as opposed to the single-family homes (often McMansions) that were the only things allowed previously.

It's not the answer to the problem of affordability, but it's an important piece of the puzzle. Unmentioned in the article are the less contentious portions of the plan that outline direct investment in affordable housing, modes of transportation beyond just cars, and more.

I was on another forum talking about this and boy the dog whistles were flying fast and loose here's a couple of choice examples:

quote:

No one was ever stopping that. They want to go into good, family neighorhoods and convert single family homes into triplexes they can rent out to mulitple families on sec 8 assistance.

Explain to me how that is good for those neighorhoods.

quote:

Families have chosen to live in family-centric neighborhoods since the beginning of family's. Not sure how this negatively affects you, or why you feel so strongly that others should have to change the way they live, to suit you?

There are plenty of areas in Mpls with density, public transportation & the East coast wanna-be vibe you like. The traditional model has been for singles to live in those types of areas, but priorities often change when a person starts a family. Many (most?) don't want their children being raised in this kind of density, with bars, drugs, low income people & the issues that come with all of that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Insanite posted:

I think I can ferret it out, yeah.

Thanks x 3!

That article carried a good chunk of my thesis.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was on another forum talking about this and boy the dog whistles were flying fast and loose here's a couple of choice examples:

people who live in duplexes: not families

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Drugs are actually half as effective when consumed within single-unit residential zoning.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Thieves have their movement speed reduced by half when moving through single family home neighborhoods, allowing more effective police response times.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

The big secret is a a declining population. Small roads and minimal setback requirements (less footprint required for a dwelling) and a culture that doesn't treat homes as an investment (single family homes are frequently torn down after 40 years or so in Japan) also help.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ChipNDip posted:

The big secret is a a declining population.

tokyo's population isn't declining :confused: japan as a whole is but the tokyo metro is growing slightly, though this trend may finally impact tokyo in the next few years and lead to a decline

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

tokyo's population isn't declining :confused: japan as a whole is but the tokyo metro is growing slightly, though this trend may finally impact tokyo in the next few years and lead to a decline

Japan is aging like crazy and I think the population of Japanese people is in the decline. The Japanese are apparently combining literally working themselves to death and not loving to slowly die off. They have an absurdly low fertility rate that is declining. I read somewhere that like 40% of people in their early 20's are virgins in Japan which is pretty crazy if you really think about it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Japan is aging like crazy and I think the population of Japanese people is in the decline. The Japanese are apparently combining literally working themselves to death and not loving to slowly die off. They have an absurdly low fertility rate that is declining. I read somewhere that like 40% of people in their early 20's are virgins in Japan which is pretty crazy if you really think about it.

yes that is all true, my point is that japan as a nation is not the same as the tokyo metropolitan area, which will have demographic trends somewhat disconnected from towns in rural japan which have closed their elementary schools for lack of children

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I work in a planning office, and there's a hilarious constant war between the Environmental people who want to turn abandoned properties into Solar Fields and the Economic Development people who want to turn them into warehouses. I just wish there was a way to do both.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Elendil004 posted:

I work in a planning office, and there's a hilarious constant war between the Environmental people who want to turn abandoned properties into Solar Fields and the Economic Development people who want to turn them into warehouses. I just wish there was a way to do both.

Are you being sarcastic or is there no way to load the roof of a large, flat warehouse with solar panels?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Elendil004 posted:

what kind of planning? you said in a different thread you're not familiar with the term CBD which to me is like saying you work in a mechanic shop and you've never heard of a differential. not trying to call you out here, just curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

luxury handset posted:

yes that is all true, my point is that japan as a nation is not the same as the tokyo metropolitan area, which will have demographic trends somewhat disconnected from towns in rural japan which have closed their elementary schools for lack of children

Yeah, Tokyo's population has grown by over a million people in the last two decades. It's a slow rise, though.

I've seen a number of American market urbanists bring Tokyo up as an example of market urbanism making housing affordable.

Is it really right to give so much credit to new market-rate housing? As far as I can guess, simple national zoning laws are great, but prodigious mass transit spreading out what's thought of as 'desirable' is the hero.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 10, 2019