Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Well, someone told him that the time-slot is normally reserved for Law & Order probably. He might even start by mouthing the jail-door synth before starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

redreader posted:

IDK if this has been brought up here or not, but, what are the chances that trump will declare a state of emergency during the speech? It's a theatric thing to do.

He's going to say 'emergency' a lot, 'lots of people are saying I should declare a state of emergency' and maybe even 'I intend to declare a state of emergency'. He's not going to actually fill out the appropriate paperwork to make it happen though.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

KodiakRS posted:

So assuming he declares a state of emergency what does that do? Will he just order the Army Corps of Engineers to go start stacking sandbags along the Rio Grande?
Nobody actually knows, least of all Trump himself.

As far as I understand it, declaring a state of emergency allows him to instruct the military to start building a wall. The problem, of course, is that they don't have the materials or budget for this, so much like all of the other grand things Trump has ordered the military to do, they'll make vague noises about doing it, accomplish nothing, and then Trump will forget about it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

eyebeem posted:

Uh

The over under would be 8 minutes.

So there's a 50 percent chance it lasts longer than 8 minutes?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

snorch posted:

I'm still crossing my fingers that he strokes out mid-speech on live TV.

I hope there's no desk. If there's no desk, we might get to watch him poo poo himself live.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

And the difference between that emergency and the climate emergency vs the border "emergency" is that people are dying BECAUSE OF those first two emergencies, not because of the rear end in a top hat "response" to the third supposed/fake one. So actually legitimate in that sense.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shh, don't spoil the surprise :ssh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
as someone pointed out, there are thirty-some ongoing localized emergency states backing executive orders and whatnot

(was this an eke out thing? I feel like this was an eke out thing)

mostly pretty sane and hecka more limited than whatever wacky poo poo Donald might want to pull with the border

it seems to be a go to for slamming sanctions on various lovely foreign kleptocrats, for example

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hope there's no desk. If there's no desk, we might get to watch him poo poo himself live.

Clearly there’s a mood in the air because I was just thinking of him vomiting on the desk before the video cuts.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Nobody actually knows, least of all Trump himself.

As far as I understand it, declaring a state of emergency allows him to instruct the military to start building a wall. The problem, of course, is that they don't have the materials or budget for this, so much like all of the other grand things Trump has ordered the military to do, they'll make vague noises about doing it, accomplish nothing, and then Trump will forget about it.
According to Kristol (according to some talking head show, according to huffpo) the House votes to repudiate the declaration, which requires the Senate to hold a vote (i.e., McConnell doesn't get to refuse) to say 'yes' or 'no' to the declaration. He's confident that they'll vote 'no', but he's also kind of a dipshit who still thinks the normal rules of politics apply.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
This is so dumb. Everyone is waiting and anticipating tonight's thing that if Trump doesn't announce that we're going to close the border, anything less would be an extreme disappointment with a crappy speech filled with the same old racist poo poo we all already heard.

Why did the networks agreed to give him airtime again?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

as someone pointed out, there are thirty-some ongoing localized emergency states backing executive orders and whatnot

(was this an eke out thing? I feel like this was an eke out thing)

mostly pretty sane and hecka more limited than whatever wacky poo poo Donald might want to pull with the border

it seems to be a go to for slamming sanctions on various lovely foreign kleptocrats, for example

nah but i saw it here yesterday too, some tweet about how this would be the 32nd concurrent SoE

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I found out today that MassHealth is dumping me because I make too much money. I'm in a temp to perm position and the awful stopgap insurance doesn't cover mental health at all. I would have to pay $500 a month for mental health coverage from the marketplace. Somehow I have to keep my poo poo together until June. This tweet almost made me cry.

Thank loving Satan for medical weed.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/NormOrnstein/status/1082461783883943937

Seriously, though. How has this dude not been fired from the AEI yet? David Frum sucks, but his transgressions were FAR less severe than this guy.

Are you disagreeing with what he said? Because he's right.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Are you disagreeing with what he said? Because he's right.

The American Enterprise Institute really loves them some Trump.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I never heard of this Obama-No-Airtime thing before. That's really interesting.
edit: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/7/18172419/trump-immigration-speech-networks-obama

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Nonsense posted:

The American Enterprise Institute really loves them some Trump.

Ah ok, I was not familiar with them. I saw he is an editor for the Atlantic, so that's a pretty crazy combo.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Siri, how do I set an alert for “Trump did a Budd Dwyer” on Twitter?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Peacoffee posted:

Clearly there’s a mood in the air because I was just thinking of him vomiting on the desk before the video cuts.

If we're really lucky he'll get a stomach bug or filet o fish poisoning, and we'll see both vomit and diarrhea!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yessssssss

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

If we're really lucky he'll get a stomach bug or filet o fish poisoning, and we'll see both vomit and diarrhea!

Can't wait to see our big wet president's bowel movements instead of just listening to and reading them constantly.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Guys I don't think he's going to poop on camera.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t think there’s going to be a state of emergency announcement. Trump believes that polls are lies, and of course everyone loves him, and they only don’t like the wall because the evil media lied to them, so all he has to do go on TV and explain it directly to them. And it will completely sway the public, as they love Trump, and he is the greatest communicator of all time.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I don't know why you're making a big deal about this, Trump has made himself completely irrelevant by this tantrum. The only question that matters is what's McConnell doing.

This is 100% his shutdown and anyone paying attention knows it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I mean everyone already realizes he's just going to get up there and lie his rear end off like he always does. The only way this is meaningful is if he shits the bed way harder than usual, otherwise it's just another bunch of horseshit from president very-big brain that will be forgotten in 10,000 years next week.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Critical posted:

I found out today that MassHealth is dumping me because I make too much money. I'm in a temp to perm position and the awful stopgap insurance doesn't cover mental health at all. I would have to pay $500 a month for mental health coverage from the marketplace. Somehow I have to keep my poo poo together until June. This tweet almost made me cry.

Thank loving Satan for medical weed.

How is this possible in MA of all places? I qualified for 160/mo health insurance through BMC on the connector while making too much for MassHealth. Low deductible, 20 co pay for mental health visits.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Luckyellow posted:

This is so dumb. Everyone is waiting and anticipating tonight's thing that if Trump doesn't announce that we're going to close the border, anything less would be an extreme disappointment with a crappy speech filled with the same old racist poo poo we all already heard.

Why did the networks agreed to give him airtime again?

he's gonna do mouth farts for 8 minutes mumbling about how dems need to shut up and give him his wall but at BEST he'll say he's 'seriously looking into' doing something and these five loving stupid 'rebuttals' and 'fact checks' and everything will just be different tones of voice saying 'uuuuh I disagree'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don’t think there’s going to be a state of emergency announcement. Trump believes that polls are lies, and of course everyone loves him, and they only don’t like the wall because the evil media lied to them, so all he has to do go on TV and explain it directly to them. And it will completely sway the public, as they love Trump, and he is the greatest communicator of all time.

maybe. while i think its a strong possibility, i still think he could still say "gently caress it and screw. close borders and national emergency".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You people aren't really going to watch ole swiss cheese brian tonight are you?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mcmagic posted:

i might.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1082799858321444865

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is a nice thought but the GOP Supreme Court will kill it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

gently caress no I'm waiting for people here to confirm this was a wet fart and/or have panic attacks when his syphilis riddled mind actually goes and does something

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Officer I was just burning this bloody shirt to make room in my dresser.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Yes then get drunk as gently caress and watch west wing.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Noise Complaint posted:

Yes then get drunk as gently caress and watch west wing.

Do it in the reverse order imo

Also just skip the speech

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Probably gonna start season 3 of The Expanse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

Do it in the reverse order imo

Also just skip the speech

Also skip the west wing. That show is trash.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Axetrain posted:

Probably gonna start season 3 of The Expanse.

it's good as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Also skip the west wing. That show is trash.

I like to imagine Sarah Sanders doing the Jackel after slam dunking more bullshit to the media.