Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
More Disco gifs!

This one has an admittedly super-sweet console explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Me when I'm at work and remember the pizza place with free delivery has chicken strips

This is real I would never joke about chicken strips

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bogus Adventure posted:

More Disco gifs!

This one has an admittedly super-sweet console explosion

Why do modern space shows have such gutless sound effects for their laser guns? It's even infected Star Wars; contrast the Millennium Falcon's quad guns in A New Hope against The Force Awakens.

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.
Just watched the VOY season 7 episode "Repentance" where writers set up allegories for the immorality of the death penalty and racial profiling in the justice system.

Zero shots of Neelix's feet while he dances. Zero out of four stars.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just google "star trek nipple clamps" and

Find out Etsy has taken a very dark turn.

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.

Kitchner posted:

EDIT: Also for everyone saying Star Trek would be full of weed brownie replicators, I forgot Chakotay's american indian bundle of trinkets includes some sort of tech gizmo to "replace" the psychoactive drugs his ancestors used. You can't even get stoned to see your animal guide anymore.

Chakotay was secretly using the airponics bay to grow Jimson Weed.

A-koo-chee-moya.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
New JJ Trek movie opens up to some super big ship coming through the wormhole.

Ship uses red matter to destroy Bajor.

Ship goes back through wormhole.

Roll credits.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

PenisMonkey posted:

New JJ Trek movie opens up to some super big ship coming through the wormhole.

Ship uses red matter to destroy Bajor.

Ship goes back through wormhole.

Roll credits.

I don't know or care what red matter is but I'd pay full price to see this

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
french voiced military "gentleman warrior" bajoran was cool

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

The bridge only has one button because the bridge doesn't control the spore drive. The nipple clamp guy controls the spore drive. That button just turns on the nipple clamps.

There was an episode of TOS which showed that when a helmsman presses a button to fire the phasers that all the button actually does is send the command down to the phaser control area of engineering where crewmembers down there actually do all the poo poo to make the phasers go 'pew pew'. We find this out because there is a coolant leak in the phaser control room and the engineer in that room succumbs to the gas and is knocked out. Sulu presses the button and nothing happens, so they call Lt. Scott and have him check out what the gently caress is going on. So the button saying "Spore Drive" makes sense in that context. :eng101:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 9, 2019

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Captain, can't we go any faster? I greatly fear we shan't be in Qo'nos by noonfall.
No worries, madam.
Stamets, shovel on more dogs into the spore drive, won't you?
Aye, aye. More dogs! More dogs! In you go!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There was an episode of TOS which showed that when a helmsman presses a button to fire the phasers that all the button actually does is send the command down to the phaser control area of engineering where crewmembers down there actually do all the poo poo to make the phasers go 'pew pew'. We find this out because there is a coolant leak in the phaser control room and the engineer in that room succumbs to the gas and is knocked out. Sulu presses the button and nothing happens, so they call Lt. Scott and have him check out what the gently caress is going on. So the button saying "Spore Drive" makes sense in that context. :eng101:

This is loving hilarious...

What's up with the giant Tardigrade?

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

Gatts posted:

This is loving hilarious...

What's up with the giant Tardigrade?

They use it to navigate the space fungus. :shroom:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Why do modern space shows have such gutless sound effects for their laser guns? It's even infected Star Wars; contrast the Millennium Falcon's quad guns in A New Hope against The Force Awakens.

It's a gif! You shouldn't be hearing anything!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I miss the cool electronic zing of TNG phasers. Hell, even the synth whistle of TOS phasers was good. It was classy AF for a tool/weapon.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

Bogus Adventure posted:

I miss the cool electronic zing of TNG phasers. Hell, even the synth whistle of TOS phasers was good. It was classy AF for a tool/weapon.

Blew my mind when Data loving floors the entire bridge with one shot of his phaser. I might be misremembering.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Temper Trudeau posted:

Blew my mind when Data loving floors the entire bridge with one shot of his phaser. I might be misremembering.

Maybe? I'm pretty sure Tuvok did, too. That wide beam setting on phasers is pretty godly

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Bogus Adventure posted:

Maybe? I'm pretty sure Tuvok did, too. That wide beam setting on phasers is pretty godly

Which leads to the obvious question of why it is not used more generally.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Xenocides posted:

Insomnia is no longer an issue in the Trek universe because you can just shoot yourself with a stun ray from your phaser and you drop like a sack of potatoes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's actually why they had a rave on the Disco, someone accidentally set phasers to fun

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xenocides posted:

Continuous beam probably runs down the battery power pack. Gotta train the recruits to use short bursts because they don't have much room to store spare ammo in the combat pajamas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Insomnia is no longer an issue in the Trek universe because you can just shoot yourself with a stun ray from your phaser and you drop like a sack of potatoes.

It's like that Simpsons episode where Homer learns the nerve pinch.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
O’Brien has two brothers. New show should be about their high jinks with Picard. Like Three Stooges in space.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

imagining picard with two colm meaneys is like picturing a dick and balls.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all i want from the picard show is for picard to tell the dune buggy story often enough to make anyone sick of it. it's a very specific request, i know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a joke to be set up here somewhere with the Englishman, Irishman and Frenchman or something in space.

Maybe the Star Trek version is a Vulcan, a Klingon and a Ferengi.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Every show opens with 15 minutes of dune buggy fun with Picard and O’Brien brothers, Dukes of Hazard style.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

imagining picard with two colm meaneys is like picturing a dick and balls.

Obviously his two brothers are named Colm Nicey and Colm Neutral.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not asking for it to actually be any good, of course. that would be silly. dune buggy-related hijinks are much more likely.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe the Star Trek version is a Vulcan, a Klingon and a Ferengi.

"...and he bends over to pick it up... and the J'naii disappears!" :dadjoke:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It's a gif! You shouldn't be hearing anything!

I've seen poo poo, man. Phaser fire ripping through the hull and rupturing the primary coolant loop. Pulsar cannons burning down Mazone battleships. TIE fighters dashed against the hull of a Mon Calamari star cruiser. I'm never not hearing anything. :shepface:

(Seeing the pew-pew in the gif reminded me of how the sound effects in that battle were crappy.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nuclearBarbarian posted:

Just watched the VOY season 7 episode "Repentance" where writers set up allegories for the immorality of the death penalty and racial profiling in the justice system.

Zero shots of Neelix's feet while he dances. Zero out of four stars.

Prepare for round two of the two worst episodes of the show with Lineage right after it :shepicide:.

Edit: got my episode order wrong; Lineage came first. You poor bastard.

Also silly Neelix; believing a man might've been falsely incarcerated and discriminated against based on the colour of his skin species, when in fact those prejudices are proven true and Neelix was wrong to trust a man proclaiming discrimination and false incarceration. Stupid silly Neelix, I hope he learned his lesson!! :biotruths:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 9, 2019

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

Gonna be a pretty big self-own if he wins. They're either going to have to pay out big time or pretty much pull the whole first season and pay him.

Guy has zero chance of winning. The lawyers he has are inept and his arguments are without merit. By his own words he started the lawsuit because they weren't treating him seriously.

I tried every possible way to have a respectful and reasonable discussion with CBS but they
treated me in disrespect and just dangled me around with postponing meetings due to their
vacations and being busy. … I gave them a lot of time to make things right.

Unfortunately, I found myself at a dead end with them, and so I had to enforce my rights by filing a lawsuit to treat me seriously.

Axanar-monitor (which covered the legal proceedings of the grifter project Axanar) has a good introduction here.

You can find their entire coverage here.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just google "star trek nipple clamps" and

https://www.etsy.com/listing/556607081/star-trek-nipple-clamps

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i started orville series two. it is so good.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

this is better than all the fanfic and fanart posted in this thread combined

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
I hope Picard gets an excuse to use his ancestors TEC-9s

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My nephew hates him for apparently saying some really stupid things about autism

I don't pretend I've read loads about this but I've read an article with the quote and 2 angry open letters.

I have to say, they've construed it very differently in those letters than I read it.

This is the quote by the way

quote:

“I don’t think he was on the spectrum... I think a lot of people are very lazy with that. I think it’s a really dangerous thing to toy with that. People talk about me doing that quite a lot and that being a good thing for people who are on the spectrum, which is great. But I don’t go into a job going, ‘Is this autism? Is this Asperger’s? Is this some other form of slight learning difficulty or disability?’ I’m very wary of that, because I’ve met people with those conditions. It’s a real struggle all the time. Then these people pop up in my work and they’re sort of brilliant, and they on some levels almost offer false hope for the people who are going through the reality of it.”

I can sort of see how someone expecting to be told something hurtful could be hurt by that.

But to me it's much more akin to what I heard from a mental health campaigner in an interview, well over 10 years ago now. In response to being asked whether big masculine heroes like Churchill being shown and accepted as vulnerable to mental health issues like depression was helpful to those suffering, the campaigner said (I'll paraphrase):

quote:

It can be helpful to the general public, because they're seeing someone who they've appreciated and lauded for other reasons, and they never ringfenced them in their mind as "depressive" when they learned about these accomplishments. So it's helpful in that way, so people might not pre-judge as much.

But it gives rise to a new problem, where because they now know Churchill was depressed, they start wondering why not every depressed person can do what Churchill did, and that's really harmful - you know, to say to someone suffering and feeling worthless "Well Churchill could do it, and more; why can't you?"

So yeah that's how I read Bonnemot Cableditch's statement: that it's a skewed view if you just say all his characters* are autistic then hold it against those with autism when they have their own difficulties.

E to clarify: *characters who are by definition, exceptions to the norm, fictional or real, because they're film protagonists and all protagonists are either exceptional or live exceptional lives

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 9, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Shakespeare also borrowed a TON from other writers and writing tropes that were common at the time. For example, Hamlet already existed before he rewrote it. Maybe....juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust maybe...Shakespeare was the JJ Abrams of his time...

I say this a lot, and don't forget the Globe Theatre was literally burnt down because someone thought itd be ACTION DRAMA to fire a real live no poo poo cannon on stage just feet from the audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

simplefish posted:

I say this a lot, and don't forget the Globe Theatre was literally burnt down because someone thought itd be ACTION DRAMA to fire a real live no poo poo cannon on stage just feet from the audience

I think it was Twelfth Night that had a cameo from the bear-baiting arena next door written into it.