Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
There was a median and a turn lane, they just went too far into it and started to turn before the road was clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress sake, if you merge at 30 under the limit, don't take an attitude when I have to brake and then move to overtake immediately. Why could you not get up to the limit on the merge lane, yet can manage 30 over the limit immediately thereafter, hmmm???

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Because no one was threatening their honor in the merge lane.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the mind of a narcissist everyone should be behind them, all the time.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
One of my biggest pet peeves is the acceleration lane exiting the rest area on the local interstate. It's at least a mile long acceleration lane that turns into an exit lane. Why do semi trucks feel the need to merge out of it as soon as physically possible even though they're only up to 40mph while the average highway speed is 70? Be patient, grind through a few more gears in the acceleration lane, and everyone will be happier.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's me this time, I'm a bad driver you share a road with.

In my defense, my POS car had a cylinder misfire and lost all power on the highway.

Pulled off onto the shoulder, restarted the car and it was fine. No idea what happened.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

PremiumSupport posted:

One of my biggest pet peeves is the acceleration lane exiting the rest area on the local interstate. It's at least a mile long acceleration lane that turns into an exit lane. Why do semi trucks feel the need to merge out of it as soon as physically possible even though they're only up to 40mph while the average highway speed is 70? Be patient, grind through a few more gears in the acceleration lane, and everyone will be happier.

Probably has some governor on it to save a dollar a day.

Protocol7 posted:

In my defense, my POS car had a cylinder misfire and lost all power on the highway.

Pulled off onto the shoulder, restarted the car and it was fine. No idea what happened.

Eh, even though we us here all are perfect drivers there just might be...a tiny tiny chance...that we are at fault sometimes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cugel the Clever posted:

More artery roads need medians to prevent dangerous lefthand turns as we clearly can't trust drivers to only attempt them when it's unambiguously safe.

Then you end up in a situation like I was in 2 days ago, driving to the store - at a 4 way red light, it has 2 left turns but neither are protected arrows. I'm in the left turn lane 2 cars behind an old lady in a Cherokee who isn't paying attention to all the HUGE gaps in traffic to take a left. We waited through 2 cycles with me & the car direct in front of me both honking at the Jeep idiot to move her rear end, I literally could've got out of my car & walked at a snail's pace across the road, there was so little traffic. She finally got her rear end moving after almost 10 minutes of sitting & presumably staring off into space or arguing with the other old moron in the passenger seat.

Can we just go all Logan's Run already & start throwing people over 65 into blast furnaces for fuel?

Protocol7 posted:

Could be worse, you could do like a lot of dummies here & park your dead car in the middle of the interstate with a :shrug: expression

Is your car fuel injected? Could be a bad injector, had that happen on an old car years ago & it would idle like crap then randomly stall out. Might be worth checking out unless the fix costs more than the car.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 7, 2019

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I can't get over this post in the Awesome thread

Saukkis posted:

I can't wait for adaptive headlights to become common, especially the ones that adapt to other cars. They would have been so useful the last time I drove on a dark freeway. High beams were necessary and I can't really switch to lows for oncoming traffic, since their lights are no help for me. Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I couldn't decide if it was bait we all took or if he was sincere.

Still got a red letter av out of it so I guess it doesn't matter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

probably baitin

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ok i legit laughed at this one though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's all my memories of Great Falls in one image.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

probably baitin

I honestly don't see the issue.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

dp

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/CHellerTVNews/status/1082803385667973120

Overturned car in a parking lot, along with a critically injured cyclist. No idea what happened, but overturning your vehicle at parking lot speeds is pretty impressive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MomJeans420 posted:

https://twitter.com/CHellerTVNews/status/1082803385667973120

Overturned car in a parking lot, along with a critically injured cyclist. No idea what happened, but overturning your vehicle at parking lot speeds is pretty impressive.

If I had to take a guess, I'm gonna say that not being at appropriate parking lot speeds contributed significantly to whatever happened :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Audi driver runs from a police stops, discovers bollards:

https://i.imgur.com/1NVdCcM.mp4

And, this just happened about 20 minutes from where I work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_REjzzPQsc

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That bollard video is awful, knowing what's going to happen but waiting so long for it to happen.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's pretty loving impressive, especially that it looks like he kicked it over a bit too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I don't get it. Was he blind? Was he too busy looking in his mirror for the cops to see them? Are they not normally there? How do you gently caress that up?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well, he was driving an Audi and ran when the cops tried to pull him over, so I'm guessing alcohol or drugs may have been involved.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Audi driver runs from a police stops, discovers bollards:

https://i.imgur.com/1NVdCcM.mp4

And, this just happened about 20 minutes from where I work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_REjzzPQsc

Bothers me to no end that I can't find the location using Streetview despite the place having what looks like a very distinct name

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

Bothers me to no end that I can't find the location using Streetview despite the place having what looks like a very distinct name

it has 2 completely different street views, because it seems that area has changed significantly in the last few years

Here you can see the bolard he hit. if you take 1 step forward, the entire place is still a street for cars and stuff, and not a pedestrian area. the old street view imagery is from 2009, it obviously hasn't been updated because cars are no longer allowed driving there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9492546,3.1294775,3a,75y,132.43h,59.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5K4O8KZFuqQfHgKqWsUzmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So you're not dumb, the world is just out to get you.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Javid posted:

I don't get it. Was he blind? Was he too busy looking in his mirror for the cops to see them? Are they not normally there? How do you gently caress that up?

Maybe he thought "I can fit through that gap" or "I'll just knock it over" and was very wrong.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Maybe he thought "I can fit through that gap" or "I'll just knock it over" and was very wrong.

It's like a lovely video game where it's hard to tell which objects can be knocked over and which are solid, but in real life!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CannonFodder posted:

I can totally see the "It's just a tiny aluminum post, my supercar will go right though it! :smug:" mindset.

Surprise rear end in a top hat, bollards are basically built out of reinforced concrete and go about as deep as they are tall, any shiny aluminum bits on them are just to make them look nice. You need a tank or construction equipment to drive through one, and even then the vehicle isn't going to have everything its own way.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am probably going to show up on a YouTube dash cam video now, I had my cruise set for 75 in a 65 and I was in the empty left lane since I had just passed a car and I was rapidly approaching a Taco in the right lane too. The Taco was going slow enough it was an easy pass, but I started to notice the speed difference closing near the end of passing. No big deal, I left plenty of space, signaled for a long time then pulled into the right lane and bumped the cruise control up a couple MPH. I find most drivers around here seem to want to zone out and match speed before resuming their previous speed, it sucks people just can't accept that sometimes traffic wants to go faster. So I found myself going 80mph which increased the gap for about a minute but next thing I know the Taco truck was tailgating me and flashing his lights, the left lane was wide open he could easily pass, and he did while flipping me off. As soon as he got beside me, I was cut off since we were approaching an exit, we both were taking the exact same exit. From behind I could see the driver of the Taco clearly had a dash cam on his rear view mirror. The best part was the guy had his whole family with him, and they were on their way to church. All I want is to be able to use my cruise control when the highway is empty and not have to deal with zoned out road raging assholes but that is apparently too much to ask for.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I will never use cruise control simply because I don't trust myself to not zone out like a drat fool.

EDIT!

From the PYF Not Not Safe For Work thread.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 14, 2019

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Cradle the balls, work the shaft.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am probably going to show up on a YouTube dash cam video now, I had my cruise set for 75 in a 65 and I was in the empty left lane since I had just passed a car and I was rapidly approaching a Taco in the right lane too. The Taco was going slow enough it was an easy pass, but I started to notice the speed difference closing near the end of passing. No big deal, I left plenty of space, signaled for a long time then pulled into the right lane and bumped the cruise control up a couple MPH. I find most drivers around here seem to want to zone out and match speed before resuming their previous speed, it sucks people just can't accept that sometimes traffic wants to go faster. So I found myself going 80mph which increased the gap for about a minute but next thing I know the Taco truck was tailgating me and flashing his lights, the left lane was wide open he could easily pass, and he did while flipping me off. As soon as he got beside me, I was cut off since we were approaching an exit, we both were taking the exact same exit. From behind I could see the driver of the Taco clearly had a dash cam on his rear view mirror. The best part was the guy had his whole family with him, and they were on their way to church. All I want is to be able to use my cruise control when the highway is empty and not have to deal with zoned out road raging assholes but that is apparently too much to ask for.

I've had adaptive cruise control for about a month and half now and it is truly a game changer. Oh I'm using acc at 75 and a dude in front of me is doing 70, welp let the car slow itself down without touching anything. Guys speeds up, acc speeds up. I am not sure I could drive my older car in cc now as I would probably ram the first person who slowed down in front of me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I actually captured some guy cutting me off. It's pretty mild but it accurately captures the level of blinker use in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LobLc7uX0

I was listening to music so you probably want to turn your volume down.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
We got a lot of snow here, so there's power out all over from fallen tree limbs.

The sheer number of people who just blow through inoperable lights without stopping is maddening.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Meydey posted:

I've had adaptive cruise control for about a month and half now and it is truly a game changer. Oh I'm using acc at 75 and a dude in front of me is doing 70, welp let the car slow itself down without touching anything. Guys speeds up, acc speeds up. I am not sure I could drive my older car in cc now as I would probably ram the first person who slowed down in front of me.
I would do unspeakable things for adaptive cruise control. . . But will that in mind, I still get to use cruise on weekends and don't even try to use it on weekdays during rush hour. I think having steering g wheel controls really helps when dealing with traffic, and I like being in full control instead of letting the computer decide for me. Really the biggest thing is just my car is paid off right now and sign me the Volt was cancelled (I almost bought one last month. . .) I have no idea what kind of car I want now.

If anything, I use cruise control to try to be more helpful to other drivers, I don't want to accidentally accelerate too much and pass a car before resuming my desired slower speed, and I don't want to accidentally pace a car beside me if they are trying to pass me, keeping one consistent speed should be more helpful to everyone. I drive 10 over the limit, know other areas drive like 80 in a 50 all the time but around here 70 in a 60 is fast enough I pass a lot of cars, and occasionally someone passes me too. If anything, I sorta think I drive a little too fast just judging by the sheer number of cars I pass, but I have never got a ticket for 10 and and have had a ticket and a warning for 11 over. I occasionally drive slower, a lot of days I want to drive slower, bad habjts are hard to break.

A week ago, I was doing my usual 10 over on the main 6 lane highway j town, I had just got out of a big construction zone and traffic was light, I was in the left lane mainly because I simply hadn't switched to the new right lane yet. I was behind a other car in the left lane, there was a slower car in the middle lane, and the open right lane. A Dodge pickup came up from behind going extremely fast, I felt the best thing to do would be to let an obvious wreckless rear end in a top hat pass on the right and continue on with life. Sure I could move over, but it wouldn't improve the situation for anyone and I already knew the Dodge driver was a wreckless rear end in a top hat. The Dodge got incredibly close to, flashing headlights, getting even closer, then of course he did what I expected and flipped me off as he swerved across two lanes to pass the ball of traffic and I didn't see him for another 2 miles, until I saw the Dodge taking an exit. At that point, I said gently caress it and took the very same exit as the Dodge, I was a fair distance behind him, but in no time I pulled past him in the straight ahead lane as he sat in the right lane waiting to make his right turn at the red light. I was again flipped off by the driver, doesn't bother me one bit, maybe just maybe the ignorant driver might realize all his effort to drive like a jackass on the highway saved absolutely no time and was only a waste of gas. I kinda feel bad about antagonizing the guy by taking the exit only to show he was saving no time, but I think that is the most offensive thing I have done while driving lately.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I will never use cruise control simply because I don't trust myself to not zone out like a drat fool.

EDIT!

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I have questions ...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
he was insecure about the big red dong

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Coming out of the grocery store with my heavy, fully loaded cart of groceries for the week, some douchbag had parked their BMW in the red no parking zone, in front of the only ramp between the safety rail and off the sidewalk into the parking lot. They did have their park anywhere lights flashing so I guess that makes it ok.

I'm proud to say I didn't ram into the car, then scrape my way up the side of it as I squeezed between it and the rail along the curb. It was tempting. I don't think anybody would have blamed me. But I made it through without any contact.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I would do unspeakable things for adaptive cruise control. . . But will that in mind, I still get to use cruise on weekends and don't even try to use it on weekdays during rush hour. I think having steering g wheel controls really helps when dealing with traffic, and I like being in full control instead of letting the computer decide for me. Really the biggest thing is just my car is paid off right now and sign me the Volt was cancelled (I almost bought one last month. . .) I have no idea what kind of car I want now.

If anything, I use cruise control to try to be more helpful to other drivers, I don't want to accidentally accelerate too much and pass a car before resuming my desired slower speed, and I don't want to accidentally pace a car beside me if they are trying to pass me, keeping one consistent speed should be more helpful to everyone. I drive 10 over the limit, know other areas drive like 80 in a 50 all the time but around here 70 in a 60 is fast enough I pass a lot of cars, and occasionally someone passes me too. If anything, I sorta think I drive a little too fast just judging by the sheer number of cars I pass, but I have never got a ticket for 10 and and have had a ticket and a warning for 11 over. I occasionally drive slower, a lot of days I want to drive slower, bad habjts are hard to break.

A week ago, I was doing my usual 10 over on the main 6 lane highway j town, I had just got out of a big construction zone and traffic was light, I was in the left lane mainly because I simply hadn't switched to the new right lane yet. I was behind a other car in the left lane, there was a slower car in the middle lane, and the open right lane. A Dodge pickup came up from behind going extremely fast, I felt the best thing to do would be to let an obvious wreckless rear end in a top hat pass on the right and continue on with life. Sure I could move over, but it wouldn't improve the situation for anyone and I already knew the Dodge driver was a wreckless rear end in a top hat. The Dodge got incredibly close to, flashing headlights, getting even closer, then of course he did what I expected and flipped me off as he swerved across two lanes to pass the ball of traffic and I didn't see him for another 2 miles, until I saw the Dodge taking an exit. At that point, I said gently caress it and took the very same exit as the Dodge, I was a fair distance behind him, but in no time I pulled past him in the straight ahead lane as he sat in the right lane waiting to make his right turn at the red light. I was again flipped off by the driver, doesn't bother me one bit, maybe just maybe the ignorant driver might realize all his effort to drive like a jackass on the highway saved absolutely no time and was only a waste of gas. I kinda feel bad about antagonizing the guy by taking the exit only to show he was saving no time, but I think that is the most offensive thing I have done while driving lately.

There's no way that the guy was smart enough to understand what you were trying to teach, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wait for it

https://i.imgur.com/dcdGmGI.mp4