Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

achillesforever6 posted:

Ugh forced to take the next day off of work because of pink eye. I only have 13 days left to use now!

Eww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

weird Asian candy posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!

Yeah. We just learned that little nugget a few months ago. On top of that we have a WinXP machine with an LPT licensing plug to upload document templates to our mainframe. It's a 16 bit program with no updates, and the hardware is failing so it has to be unplugged daily. The people who own it refuse to do anything about it and it will become a huge emergency when it finally melts down. I hope it happens soon because these people are idiots and need to get burned.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Yeah. We just learned that little nugget a few months ago. On top of that we have a WinXP machine with an LPT licensing plug to upload document templates to our mainframe. It's a 16 bit program with no updates, and the hardware is failing so it has to be unplugged daily. The people who own it refuse to do anything about it and it will become a huge emergency when it finally melts down. I hope it happens soon because these people are idiots and need to get burned.

Yikes dude. Ok, I have no room to complain anymore you win. That sounds absolutely infuriating.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/VanessaOblinger/status/1082729323692523522

LMAO, Sean SPicer is gonna be on the next season of Big Brother

Going from being the face of the WH to loving season 10000000 of Big Brother

Seeing Megatron on this list makes me way sadder than it should.

achillesforever6 posted:

Ugh forced to take the next day off of work because of pink eye. I only have 13 days left to use now!

Ask me how I got pink eye the last time I had it. I didn't know you could get it the way that I got it, and it did not involve excrement of any kind (human or otherwise).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Krassensteins are so stupid and pure

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1082810161960505345

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If the Natives had the resources and manpower to build a wall around the US they would have conquered everything instead.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

C-Euro posted:

Ask me how I got pink eye the last time I had it. I didn't know you could get it the way that I got it, and it did not involve excrement of any kind (human or otherwise).

Someone convinced you their butthole was a kaleidoscope

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
imagine being charlie kirk lmao

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1082815292533891072?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I binged Parks and Rec last year and loved it. Would I like The Office?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think so, yeah. It's so cringe inducing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

weird Asian candy posted:

Someone convinced you their butthole was a kaleidoscope

Nope! No butts were involved.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Nope! No butts were involved.

Tell us!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You paged me?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I also had a pretty bad headcold and all my sinuses are infected, but yeah don't know how I got pink eye, I rub my eyes a lot in general so I just probably had bad luck and picked it up a friends party since they had their kids running around.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

(spoilered for potential :nms:)Popped a blister on my foot and it squirted me in the eye. Woke up with pink eye the next morning. Whoops!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

C-Euro posted:

(spoilered for potential :nms:)Popped a blister on my foot and it squirted me in the eye. Woke up with pink eye the next morning. Whoops!

I wouldn't have guessed that never ever lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
re: Docker. Containerization is really cool and has a lot of useful applications however everything hifi said is correct on top of 1. Docker the company is poo poo, 2. Docker for Mac is an even bigger piece of poo poo garbage tool and 3. Young devs are obsessed with finding container-based solutions for problems that don't need them. Or, creating problems out of thin air to use containers for. Example I've ran into is requiring a local test suite to run by using docker to pull containers for each individual subsystem. Thats multiple gig downloads, an hour+ wait time to start up and then another hour to run the tests. Just using the local scripts that have existed since the dawn of time would've ran the stuff in 30 minutes :shrug: The pro/cons of ideal+hip solutions and practical I want out of here in 8 hour solutions are seemingly lost on the younger crops of developers.

re: DBAs. Leper is largely right. The advent of easy drop-in ORMs, NoSQL solutions, cloud services, and cool things like SQLite auto-indexing itself, and entire etl->dw piplines have made the vast majority of database dirty work irrelevant to a lot of dev shops. That said, designing a good relational model and actually knowing how to use SQL is increasingly seen as 4D calculus, again, mostly in the younger dev pool (my personal experience). So it's pretty easy to see that kind of work being relegated to high powered positions at companies that need a complex setup and as the guys being outsourced to. Only get into it if you really love databases and designing good models for complex problems. (Kinda ignoring the "excel guy" or MSAccess dba type roles here because lol if those are ever gone). If you like SQL, you probably can carve a nice career for yourself because IMO someone who can write efficient queries is absolutely invaluable. A lot of the mentioned tech and high-powered hardware do a lot to cover up lovely data design and lovely queries, but they will eventually get exposed.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

not unique to docker, but you can download a container that might just start mining bitcoins too.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I loved P&R but detested The Office, the latter seemed to have nothing going for it but awkward gawking at the camera, and the longer it kept going at the melodramatic bullshit love triangle, the more I knew it wasn’t for me. I’m in the minority on that though, clearly plenty of people love it, so ymmv

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you want something Manly to talk about, the new makita circular saw is AWS-capable not that aws

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Thaddius the Large posted:

I loved P&R but detested The Office, the latter seemed to have nothing going for it but awkward gawking at the camera, and the longer it kept going at the melodramatic bullshit love triangle, the more I knew it wasn’t for me. I’m in the minority on that though, clearly plenty of people love it, so ymmv

Definitely in this same camp. P&R had so much charm. It's characters all felt real and imbued with a basic human decency that's hard to find on TV(except Aziz Ansari). The Office felt like the same 3 jokes over and over with endless mugging at the camera.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Whether you like or hate the office the first season mostly fuckin sucks butt

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The first season of Parks and Rec is also pretty bad. They didn’t figure the characters out until season 2.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The 1st season was only 6 episodes so that's a big who cares.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Spoeank posted:

Diversity Day is one of my favorite episodes!

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I could not get into the office at all

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Spoeank posted:

I tried watching The Office in late 2017 and one of the first jokes in the first episode was about Donald Trump. I couldn't really focus on the episode, or the show in general, after that.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 9, 2019

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Ehud posted:

Diversity Day is one of my favorite episodes!

That's why I said mostly. Diversity Day is very good

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The office is real good
Parks and rec is real good
Lifting weights is real good

My hands are sore from deadlifting more weights than I ever deadlifted yesterday and I'm real proud I lifted as much as I lifted.

Lifted

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

guys i just ordered a bunch of canning supplies

this is happening

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think the Office just kinda suffers because it hits it's peak early in it's run and stayed around 3-4 seasons too long, but I don't think it gets unwatchable outside of things like Scotts Tots.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Scott's Tots is the most perfectly executed piece of media in the history of mankind.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FizFashizzle posted:

guys i just ordered a bunch of canning supplies

this is happening

Go ham. Make kimchi

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1082856609276194821

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Scott's Tots is the most perfectly executed piece of media in the history of mankind.

I feel like I could get through anything after watching that. Everyone I know skips it on their rewatches.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Ohhhhh poo poo it’s Rinaldo’s time to shine! Finally something I have experience with, as I’m and admin director at a fitness center! So $25 is pretty reasonable as far as monthly costs go, you just have to be careful about contracts and any things that have additional fees. Like if you want to do something aside from just jump on an elliptical like a yoga class or something it might have additional fees and certainly things like hiit or boot camp will as well. Some places (like mine) bundle that all in and while there is a higher monthly rate it ends up cheaper than other places. But if that is stuff you don’t care about most of the nationwide chains can be fine for your needs.

Just be sure to ask them if there are any restrictions on what your membership can do as some places will but limits on what you can do if insurance pays for your membership. I’d also advise you to see if you can get a tour. You can learn a lot about the culture of the org by how their staff interact with you while showing the facility ie are they going to constantly try to upsell you poo poo like personal trainers or if they don’t care if you come and are happy being a ghost member who just gets autodeducted their membership

Also also check with your insurance if there are usage requirements. Some make you go a certain amount a month which may or may not help with motivation to go

Good luck!

Thanks, this is quite helpful. My insurance is just hooking me up to something called "Active & Fit" and the $25/mo is a flat negotiated fee for every provider in that network. https://www.activeandfitdirect.com/
There doesn't seem to be any usage requirements, it's just "hey go be healthy, idiot, the gyms are thataway -->"
I dunno if there's additional fees being paid by Kaiser to the centers or what, but I suspect not... most likely it's just some kind of negotiated fee in exchange for the referrals type arrangement. You might know better, though.

I will definitely go get a tour with my wife, we definitely don't want trainers or whatnot right now, and I strongly suspect we will not maintain a habit and by this time next year we'll be canceling. But for the moment it's something we need to try.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Planet fitness is like 10 bucks a month without any subsidies.

Ah OK well deffo not paying $25 for it then, and that seems like a ridiculous deal so unless the place stinks or something I'll probably just do that.

Spoeank posted:

Leperflesh just treat every decision as entering a new universe in an infinite series of universes. Every decision is schroedingers cat situation, really. *This* iteration of Leperflesh always made that decision, but there exists a universe where *that* iteration made a different decision. We're just riding the waves of interdimensional travel.

The forking universe idea is sci-fi old hat, and in any case does not address the issue of a lack of free will: the only source of branching universes supported by actual evidence would be the idea that e.g. radioactive decay, brownian motion, and other physics principles based on (apparently) true randomness built in to the universe means that if we rewound time a few minutes and let it play forward, events would not transpire identically; but that does not provide human minds with agency, only with a potentially different experiential illusion of choice. In other words, I'm afraid it's no consolation; we are still as helpless in that scenario as always.

It is more of a consolation to simply accept the illusion of choice is so convincing that most of the time we're convinced it's real, and that's a more pleasurable experience, so we can be thankful for that. (But have no choice to be so thankful, when we are...)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:sniff: