Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m stoked to play Zelda 2, I never had it as a kid and the platforming intrigues me

It’s pretty drat hard but I think it still holds up as a fun game today if you’re willing to put the effort into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's hard. One of the hardest sections of the game is very early on. Some of the enemies are also real pains in the rear end even once you're leveled up, have some spells, and the thrusts.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Announced date for yoshi's crafted world march 29. With all these announcements I wonder if there won't be a direct this month.

Nintendo please work on some system level features and add something so the poo poo-rear end online doesnt suck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

November was also two games if you don't count the SP one.

Zelda 2 and Blaster Master both extremely good though.

Blaster Master Zero isn't really the definitive version of this game. It's a better game, it's a modern reimagining with tighter controls, but it isn't a remake, the map and scenario and powerups are different outside of a few areas. So if you've already played Zero, this has shittier controls, but is definitely different content worth playing.

Blaster Master is also hard because you have a limited number of lives and you're done. No saves, no passwords.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 9, 2019

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm getting reports that the Isaac update will be up on Switch tomorrow at 6pm.

What’s in this update? I haven’t played in a while but was thinking about it the other day.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Overbite posted:

Y'all were talking about Dragon's Dogma earlier and yea its really good. I bought and played through it 3 times now. Really fun combat, amazing dungeon crawling, especially in the bitterblack isle stuff, and it has the best spell casting in any game ever made. No other game makes sorcerers feel as powerful and cool as Dragon's Dogma. Look at these gifs

Still probably best on PC where you can use a fast travel mod.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

burritonegro posted:

Just got one for my dad. What are the best games we can get? Prefer co-op multiplayer. He also likes donkey Kong, I like scrolling shooters.

Just started wandersong, and if you need something to brighten your day while having engaging mechanics, that's your game. Single player, but it's simple enough they can grasp it and it's puzzle nature allows for pseudo coop.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It’s best on PC because you can mod Into Free back in

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Midjack posted:

Blaster Master is also hard because you have a limited number of lives and you're done. No saves, no passwords.

Well that's not an issue anymore

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

They give you six or seven of the fast travel teleport markers with the expansion if you're that desperate not to play the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beastie posted:

What’s in this update? I haven’t played in a while but was thinking about it the other day.

It adds the last booster pack content that’s been in the PC version for awhile.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Old Grasshopper posted:

If it’s physical you can try removing the latest update from the Switch and re-installing. You will miss out on your character unlocks but probably worth it.

Are you sure it isn’t hardware though? Try different controllers in different ports of your GameCube adapter, try a friend’s adapter if you’ve got one. It does sound like hardware as it’s a very odd software glitch to have! Are you moving the GameCube adapter at all during very animated smashing? Because jerking it around might cause a problem. I always recommend unplugging everything, and then procedurally going through all your components to try and find the one that’s causing the error.

Ok, I did more extensive testing and it seems to be the second port on the gamecube adapter, even though I have had the same problem with ports 3 and 4 one time in the past, I couldn't replicate the error with them through more testing. It's possible the adapter is just giving up the ghost slowly.

Since this was 15 pages ago, the problem I'm having is that my gamecube controller's A button doesn't work within battles in Smash only. Even if I pause I can navigate and select menu options normally, and navigating menus always works normally. Very odd.

Last question, my copy of Smash is digital, so if I delete and then reinstall, is there any way to keep my saves?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saves are separate from games on the Switch

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yoshi's loving World

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

DLC Inc posted:

Yoshi's loving World

ew

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well that's not an issue anymore

Do they give you save states? They didn't on the 3ds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The 3ds also absolutely has a save state per game except Pokemon.

Switch NES app has four slots per game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: ^^^^ AL! :argh:

Midjack posted:

Do they give you save states? They didn't on the 3ds.

Every NES online game has 4 save slots.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

it's no stranger than carl sagan's meat planet

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A Bag of Milk posted:

Ok, I did more extensive testing and it seems to be the second port on the gamecube adapter, even though I have had the same problem with ports 3 and 4 one time in the past, I couldn't replicate the error with them through more testing. It's possible the adapter is just giving up the ghost slowly.

Since this was 15 pages ago, the problem I'm having is that my gamecube controller's A button doesn't work within battles in Smash only. Even if I pause I can navigate and select menu options normally, and navigating menus always works normally. Very odd.

Last question, my copy of Smash is digital, so if I delete and then reinstall, is there any way to keep my saves?

i didn't see your first post about it but I've also had this problem and yeah we "solved" it by just using a different port since i only have three gamecube controllers anyway

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can't wait to give Yoshi's Tax Evasion a try.

shirts and skins posted:

So I got a kick rear end bonus and want to get a Switch, probably 80% to play Smash. It'd be my first new console since the Wii. Any suggestions on the best place to snag one at this point? I imagine the holiday bundles and whatnot are basically done.

There's a deal on massgenie for a Switch, Smash, and a pro controller, but IDK how reliable that site or the deal itself actually are.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I followed the above suggestion and setup the Japanese region NES stuff. Very easy. Pretty cool. Any other regions that are worth doing?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jose Oquendo posted:

So I followed the above suggestion and setup the Japanese region NES stuff. Very easy. Pretty cool. Any other regions that are worth doing?

If you're in NA, mxn region uses American cards but half the time games are half off. Like the sega ages games are only $4.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bushisms.txt posted:

Just started wandersong, and if you need something to brighten your day while having engaging mechanics, that's your game. Single player, but it's simple enough they can grasp it and it's puzzle nature allows for pseudo coop.

I just got this too and what a delightful little game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I keep going to my Switch, wanting to play a 3D Zelda other than BotW, only to face the harsh reminder that they have not ported Twilight Princess HD or Wind Waker HD.

Why Nintendo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Overbite posted:

Y'all were talking about Dragon's Dogma earlier and yea its really good. I bought and played through it 3 times now. Really fun combat, amazing dungeon crawling, especially in the bitterblack isle stuff, and it has the best spell casting in any game ever made. No other game makes sorcerers feel as powerful and cool as Dragon's Dogma. Look at these gifs

It's the Monster Hunter game I've been waiting for.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wamdoodle posted:

I just got this too and what a delightful little game

I got it today too but haven’t started it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Dangen_Ent/status/1082637058210881537

You like metroidvania games? Of course you do.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Not likely to get a physical release, huh?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

edit: nevermind

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1082811695142072320

Just wait until Pokemon Switch is just casually dropped.

Honestly pretty excited about this. I finally played Robobot and it was great, and I really do like Kirby games. I like how the 3DS is picking up old Wii games like this. It's not my preferred medium, but when it comes to touchscreen things, I far prefer it to the Switch.

Yoshi seems fine but something I'll put off for a long time probably. I adore Yoshi's Island, but while the style is super cute in these new ones, it's almost a bit much.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kirby's Epic Yawn is OK, although not really a Kirby game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SelenicMartian posted:

Kirby's Epic Yawn is OK, although not really a Kirby game.

Yeah, it doesn’t really play as a Kirby game at all and it’s super easy even compared to the rest of the series. The new port is adding a harder mode though I believe. I would have been more interested if it was on Switch, I’m getting really sick of the 3DS.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So it's not as a good a Not-Kirby game as Canvas Curse and or Mass Attack, both which super fun?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So it's not as a good a Not-Kirby game as Canvas Curse and or Mass Attack, both which super fun?

It’s still fun. I’d rate it below those games though.

It skews really young, even by Nintendo and Kirby standards. It feels like it was designed for preschoolers.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 9, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just mainlined like six hours of fire emblem warriors because I do nothing at work but play switch and... I mean, I can’t call it a great game but it’s a lot of fun and weirdly addictive. Hyrule Warriors just didn’t click the same way.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s still fun. I’d rate it below those games though.

It skewers really young, even by Nintendo and Kirby standards. It feels like it was designed for preschoolers.

Skews

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Is Star Allies good?

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011
Any goons here think that the pro controller is a must-have? I’ve been thinking of getting one but keep seeing posts online that the dpads on these things are messed up. Seems to be an old issue, but is it still applicable to the ones produced now?

Joycons are great but I prefer using a full size controller if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I can’t say I have really noticed a problem with the pro controller dpad, I use mine all the time when docked, unless I’m playing something like Pokemon that requires a joy con.