Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paine is an avid reader of Malraux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just bought wandersong due to valve shenanigans and holy poo poo is this game amazing. It's pretty unreal how perfect it is, the music and mechanics are perfect. It's fun just making your own music.

Omg i just found pitch change. Fantastic

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 9, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Just bought wandersong due to valve shenanigans and holy poo poo is this game amazing. It's pretty unreal how perfect it is, the music and mechanics are perfect. It's fun just making your own music.

Omg i just found pitch change. Fantastic

Don't forget the flats & sharps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a guide to playing million onion hotel strategically? I feel like you can pretty much just mash and win but I also have no clue whats going on. The tutorial is inadequate

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

don't give up, skeleton! is legit inspirational

I like it when I beat a boss and someone has left "Fine work, fatty."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i started horizon and this is my favorite robot and i want this so babdly

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Uh, why does apparently everything I have installed on steam want an update, especially when there doesn't seem to be any scheduled real updates?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

blaster master would be better as a traditional metroidvania instead of having no persistent upgrades and three lives

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What do I do with these duplicate Pokémon, is this one of those games where I can trade in dupes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What do I do with these duplicate Pokémon, is this one of those games where I can trade in dupes

are you talking about let's go? if so, yeah you can send extras to oak for stat up candy. also the more of a given pokemon you've caught, the more candy you'll get for each capture and the easier it'll be to catch

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You don’t think... is the candy made of Pokémon

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

You don’t think... is the candy made of Pokémon

oh, certainly

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

blaster master would be better as a traditional metroidvania instead of having no persistent upgrades and three lives

but it does have persistent upgrades. you get a stronger gun, hover jets, better underwater movement, and more

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jingle BEL/S is a lot harder to 100% than Open Sorcery was, I got two decent presents for the end of the game and that was it. Turns out I only know how to set things on fire!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

beat shinra at sphere break!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello everybody in january chat games thread, how is everyone doing tonight/this morning

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I did good in ff14 mahjong so I'm going to bed happy. my eyes are set on the Mahjong Enthusiast title, I just gotta get my elo up...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lets hang out posted:

but it does have persistent upgrades. you get a stronger gun, hover jets, better underwater movement, and more

i mean more like stronger bombs, better gun, etc. which you can get, but they disappear when you die and upgrading the gun is secretly a punishment

e: to clarify, the highest-tier gun upgrades turn your bullet's pattern into a sinewave, but its forward velocity is way higher than its oscillation so your bullets often start arcing around your target instead. as if that wasn't bad enough, it can no longer accurately hit breakable walls directly in front of you, or at your feet.

that sounds mildly annoying on its own, but it gets worse: when you load the menu, for example to change your special weapon, the game respawns all the breakable walls in the room. if you don't know this and open the menu while standing in the middle of a cluster of breakable walls, it can become nearly impossible to escape because you can't shoot the ones directly in front of you unless you're standing in the absolutely pixel-perfect spot, and then only if you're lucky enough that the sine's oscillation starts at a specific point.

it can take the upwards of thirty minutes for the stars to align and get this right, and all but the most determined players will think there's no hope and simply have to restart. the entire game. because there are no save points or passwords.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 9, 2019

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Play Blaster Master Zero.

exquisite tea posted:

Rocket League’s scripted responses are the best for irony purposes.
Then again jumping back into it after awhile I'm always surprised about how toxic chat is. Even Rumble now that there's not a Casual playlist for it. :nallears:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yo did something happen today? I got home and found nearly two dozen of my games on Steam updated but it's all small updates. Is this more of the GDPR stuff?
Might be an install script or Steam API. Could be a redistributable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they found a way to make shenmue 3 even less appealing

quote:

During the G-Fusion Tour 2018 in Xiamen, Shenmue 3 director Yu Suzuki dropped new details on the game.

Shenmue 3 will be a much larger game than previous entries in the series as it will take multiple weeks to complete.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am going to open and close SO many drawers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 7th Guest posted:

they found a way to make shenmue 3 even less appealing

Sounds good to me

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
After playing Hitman 2 Silent Assassin I wanted to try the first game but it was basically unplayable for me at the time the second game released. Seeing some footage from Blood Money I can imagine I would think the same after playing the newest installments (even though I also played BM on release and though it was amazing). Going back to the first two games in 2019 is insane to me and I wish they'd remade them with all the bells and whistles in the newest engine because 2, Contracts and BM had some really good levels.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve decided that I’m going to play through Final Fantasy IX during my lunch breaks, I only pray that my brain worms will allow me to beat each boss without spending ten minutes stealing items from them

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

After playing Hitman 2 Silent Assassin I wanted to try the first game but it was basically unplayable for me at the time the second game released. Seeing some footage from Blood Money I can imagine I would think the same after playing the newest installments (even though I also played BM on release and though it was amazing). Going back to the first two games in 2019 is insane to me and I wish they'd remade them with all the bells and whistles in the newest engine because 2, Contracts and BM had some really good levels.

I would not be upset if they offered levels from old games as DLC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve decided that I’m going to play through Final Fantasy IX during my lunch breaks, I only pray that my brain worms will allow me to beat each boss without spending ten minutes stealing items from them

The rare steal is usually a weapon that's buyable two shops later. So, an advantage, but not an insane one

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Have fun with the second Black Waltz #3 fight!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pictured: The two best characters in all of Final Fantasy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

does anyone actually like the story of ff13?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't hate it, there's nothing wrong with the story per se it's just badly told.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FF13: The Worst Final Fantasy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The setting and premise of FF13 are very cool, but everything about the storytelling is extremely sloppy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't hate it, there's nothing wrong with the story per se it's just badly told.

Its extremely badly told and full of internal retcons because of cutscene development that culminates in an unsatisfying ending when a much more satisfying and logical arc was easier and more narritvely foreshadowed than what they went with

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FF13's story is basically what you get when you rewrite the same script for 10 years, all the disparate influences coming together into one product, references to dropped threads from previous drafts that no longer have any meaning but are still present, etc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

Its extremely badly told and full of internal retcons because of cutscene development that culminates in an unsatisfying ending when a much more satisfying and logical arc was easier and more narritvely foreshadowed than what they went with

Well, I think you'll find the REAL ending is that Lightning was taken to Valhalla because of the Paradox effect and eventually created France

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

corn in the bible posted:

FF13: The Worst Final Fantasy

That's not how you spell 8 :thunkher:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i hate that kingdom hearts changed his name but i have to go with the new canonical name because frankly thats just how i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

That's not how you spell 8 :thunkher:

That's a spicy take but nobody sane can tell me FF8 is worse than FF2