Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d love for their to be a trans-vegan eco-terrorist, like if Poison Ivy became an Instagram thot

Samuel L Jackson in Kingsmen, kinda. Rich, genocidal ecoterrorists, and ecoterrorism in general probably, are way over represented for something that doesn't really exist. Even bad-faith anti-environmentalists like Fox pundits, who would love to portray them as violent terrorists, can really only spin environmentalists as smug, dumb, annoying, or inconvient to businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You are absolutely going to keep seeing villains who have legitimate grievances but "go too far" in superhero movies, and climate change is a big one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think Punisher is the right show to address spree killers, considering he basically is one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

You are absolutely going to keep seeing villains who have legitimate grievances but "go too far" in superhero movies, and climate change is a big one.

Ah yes let’s go back to what 1998’s The Avengers covered.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Killmonger could murder all the girlfriends and Andy Serkises in the world and he'd've still been in the right

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mameluke posted:

Killmonger could murder all the girlfriends and Andy Serkises in the world and he'd've still been in the right

Same, but for Thanos.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanos took a half measure

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/status/1080841307973607424

Was expecting Jigsaw to look a lot more messed up

Sweet, the only Netflix Marvel show who deserves some extra life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DarkCrawler posted:

It's not extra. Punisher S2 was already filming when Marvel Netflix started folding. It's highly unlikely to get a third season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

It's getting cancelled.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Somewhat ot, but...

I've been wondering for a while now how Netflix is able to fund all these shows/movies? I remember back in the day when stuff like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards were rare and the "Netflix Original Series" was supposed to be a seal of quality. But now they've like a billion series/movies under their belt. I was legitimately stunned at the number.

Now, I know they're a big company, sure, but haven't they been bleeding money for like the past 5 years?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A large portion of their originals are just shows they have broadcast rights to in certain territories, but yeah they seem to be producing and co producing a lot of poo poo lately.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i heard somewhere that their business strategy is basically to produce a shitload of "original content" and then turn the spigot off and just have that as their big draw. but that depends on the content being high-quality and therefore desirable and i'm not sure that's as consistent as they'd like. and it sounds like a dumb strategy to me, but all these companies are basically flushing vc money down the toilet constantly and no one seems to care so what do i know

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Netflix borrowed what sounds like a lot of money but actually works out to some small pittance per customer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't think we've seen the new breed of young, relatively affluent shithead reactionaries explored in popular fiction other than, what, that SVU episode about incels? Lord knows we've had enough triggered millennial snowflake SJW characters screeching about microsggressions to last a lifetime, even from liberal shows.
Thank you for this. It's posts like this that give me hope.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So hey, The Gifted isn't too bad. Only just about to finish the first episode, didn't know that it was a Marvel thing till they mentioned X-Men.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That and all the X-men in it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MiddleOne posted:

It's getting cancelled.

Such a loving shame. They finally got the perfect actor for the role.

I kind of wish it was the only show to get one extra season and the entire last episode is him just gunning down every loose end villain in the entire Netflix MCU. gently caress, I wish they jammed that in as a montage to give the universe closure. Just killing everyone from Turk to Kingpin.

ED: Seriously if they last-minute add a scene with him murdering Fisk at the end I'll give them an extra star. I liked Fisk but let's close out the storyline at least in a satisfying way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That and all the X-men in it.

Wow, season 2 sounds wild. I'm only on the seventh episode of the first season so far but I'm not absolutely hating every second of it like Iron Fist.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Micro and his terrible family do not feature heavily in the S2 trailer, which means I'm going to be even sadder when this show is cancelled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLhP5sK2wI

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's been persistent rumors that this season will include adapting parts of The Slavers, so girl on the run from a fundie hyper-conservative sex cult certainly seems like what's happening here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Using the original villains of the Slavers would almost certainly be twisted to advocate for trump's wall.

Bad takes on the Punisher are already common enough.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Seriously if they last-minute add a scene with him murdering Fisk at the end I'll give them an extra star.

Keep your stars, Netflix is all about the thumb life now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, season 2 sounds wild. I'm only on the seventh episode of the first season so far but I'm not absolutely hating every second of it like Iron Fist.

Bear in mind that "all the X-men" doesn't mean ALL the X-men, it's a figure of speech. The bigger names are not there for story reasons. But there are definitely plenty of X-men on the show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Bear in mind that "all the X-men" doesn't mean ALL the X-men, it's a figure of speech. The bigger names are not there for story reasons. But there are definitely plenty of X-men on the show.

The fact that they're actually mentioning X-Men exist is more than I was expecting, I didn't think that any of them would actually be in the show in any way.

Like, I'm not expecting Wolverine or Cyclops to show up but any of them appearing in any regard is more than I was expecting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Early review of Punisher S2.

TLDR: Not better or worse than S1 overall, but a different kind of story that plays Frank a different way. A more personal story that casts Frank as a more heroic character, with less of the moral ambiguity and social commentary of S1.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A heroic punisher?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zzulu posted:

A heroic punisher?

Yeah, apparently in this season he's mainly a gruff, brooding antihero who probably likes fighting and killing people way more than is healthy, but when he sees someone getting mugged or bullied or is on the run, he can't help himself but to step in and help.

Jigsaw is apparently being presented as the flip side, almost as a more traditional hardcore idea of the Punisher - and making it clear that this makes him a bad guy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zzulu posted:

A heroic punisher?

All you have to do is point Frank towards Nazis for a season.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Early review of Punisher S2.

TLDR: Not better or worse than S1 overall, but a different kind of story that plays Frank a different way. A more personal story that casts Frank as a more heroic character, with less of the moral ambiguity and social commentary of S1.

So it'll be even less The Punisher.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lurdiak posted:

So it'll be even less The Punisher.

More heroic, less ambiguous Punisher despite being a murderous vigilante is more Punisher TBF.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Punisher is always the Hero, even when he is an anti-hero. We were never gonna get a Punisher is Bad season.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, I'm lost, were people hoping for Frank to shoot up a post office or school or something? I mean, I know he went after that one dude while he was in the hospital but even still they're very different targets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

The Punisher is always the Hero, even when he is an anti-hero. We were never gonna get a Punisher is Bad season.

There are so many great comics about the Punisher where he's absolutely the bad guy. None of them written by Garth Ennis, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

There are so many great comics about the Punisher where he's absolutely the bad guy. None of them written by Garth Ennis, though.

Counting on people to be able to recognize that the protagonist is a bad guy seems dangerously naive, especially with a character already idolized by the right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Counting on people to be able to recognize that the protagonist is a bad guy seems dangerously naive, especially with a character already idolized by the right.

You just have characters outright state it. It's not rocket science.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

You just have characters outright state it. It's not rocket science.

And neither does it work. See every show with bad guy protagonists ever.

People see the protagonist and think they're the hero no matter how much the show is about them being a lovely person and other characters say they're evil. Breaking Bad and anything to do with Warhammer 40k all come to mind.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Cythereal posted:

And neither does it work. See every show with bad guy protagonists ever.

People see the protagonist and think they're the hero no matter how much the show is about them being a lovely person and other characters say they're evil. Breaking Bad and anything to do with Warhammer 40k all come to mind.

Also Death Note, Rick and Morty, and Fight Club.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
And pride and prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Breaking Bad