Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know I've brought this up before buuuttt I gotta say it again.

I like how when using the app on the iPad you can swipe right and it brings up the book marks. On the phone though you have to pull from the edge of the screen to get them to come up. Would it be at all possible to replicate that the way the iPad does it on the phone. I don't think a right swipe does anything on the phone right now.

It would make the app much more 1 hand friendly on the phone IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Scroll talk: I’m pretty confident that this is a UI “problem” rather than a “UX” one. I’m curious if the people who are right handed are the ones having issues with the pull to next page feature. Their thumbs/hands block sight of the scroll bar near the bottom potentially contributing to the accidental progress issue. Flipping the bar’s side (optionally) might be enough of a UI change to “fix” things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s certainly a valid point. I know it contributes in my case.

E: one idea might be to signal that you’re nearing the last post on the page with a background color change (gradient?) or something like that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In my video mock that’s also what the progress border on the title bar is trying to accomplish.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Dave posted:

In my video mock that’s also what the progress border on the title bar is trying to accomplish.

I missed the video but I honestly just thought about something like that, only on top of the bottom bar and it depletes towards the center (therefore visible for both left and right handers.)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
btw name-tapping for user functions is back I guess maybe something was just hanging on my iPad

Weird.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also, fun fact: scrubbing on a YouTube video will slide out the navigation bar.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Just found out tapping at the very top (where the carrier and time are) scrolls up to the first post on a page

Cool!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Keith Atherton posted:

Just found out tapping at the very top (where the carrier and time are) scrolls up to the first post on a page

Cool!

This is a system wide feature, should work in most apps you use.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

carry on then posted:

This is a system wide feature, should work in most apps you use.

It's a really useful feature until it triggers accidentally (like when you're trying to bring down the notification or settings pane) and then it's incredibly frustrating.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For 2019 I wish for fixed spoiler tags ;)
Thanks for all the work in 2018

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Same, and same!

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Copying FYAD flag urls adds a space before the URL when pasting it, or I might be stupid, love the app nevertheless

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
More of a curiosity than a real bug, but when you swipe right to leave a thread back to the forum, the title text seems to change "page" width, taking on a different newline position.
https://imgur.com/a/wmfsZd7

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’ve recently been having some problems with the Dark theme in low light feature. It doesn’t seem to consistently work like it did on my old 6s and 7. Is this a known issue? Currently I have to adjust the brightness slider in the app ever so slightly to get it to trigger.

I’m running the latest version of Awful on an 8. I can’t be sure this behaviour started when I got my 8 a month or two back or if it happened during an update sorry.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a reason that pasting textalways pastes what's on the clipboard, prepended by a single space

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Is there a reason that pasting textalways pastes what's on the clipboard, prepended by a single space

It is a bug

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Endless Mike posted:

Spoilers are still inconsistent for me. They show sometimes but not others.

I'm still nowhere on figuring this bug out :( but happy to keep hearing about it until it's fixed!

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, when I reach then end, there’s no... I guess elasticity is the word I’m looking for. If I hit the bottom when I “flick scroll” and there’s another page, it insta jumps to the next page. This seems like it’s changed from how I remember it behaving before. I would think a deliberate pull up and hold (however miniscule a time it would be) would work better than hit bottom and immediately load next page.

gently caress. Now I can’t reproduce it. Carry on.

I totally believe this happened. There's a decent chance it was that top bar that tucks under the nav bar when you scroll down; it does weird things when the pull-for-next code engages. It's on my list.

Looke posted:

probably 90% of the time I use it. I'm on an iPhone X running 12.1.2

below is a vid i captured of it in action. when it starts to get janky is when i press the 'Scroll to End'

Thanks! Like a jackass, I disappeared from the thread long enough for your gif to expire. If you still have it or the video hanging around somewhere, I'd love to grab it, but I totally understand if it's gone (sorry!).

b_d posted:

Seems to be, yeah. Here’s one that fails for me: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774698&perpage=40&pagenumber=468#post490928898
That post’s quote and several others on that page go blank after clicking them. Actually, opening the app with that on my clipboard and attempting to go to it did the same thing..

Awesome, thanks! I can reproduce it now.

ratbert90 posted:

Luckily in the beta it’s configurable

Just in the beta. I'm still convinced there's a way to make it work for everyone.

Crime on a Dime posted:

is there any real barrier to adding the sent items folder to the PM view? Is there something that makes it different and more difficult to implement than the inbox and compose functions?

The only barrier is time.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Suggestion for the Imgur code: append “h” to the end of image names to improve image streaming to smartphone devices and tablets for larger/high definition images.

Good idea!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah and I just use a shortcut on iOS that uploads the picture and spits out a timg link.

Speaking of shortcuts, I'm not averse to adding any extremely helpful shortcuts that y'all can think of.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Where does the app pull thread icons from?

Just as a point of curiosity because my bookmarked threads are slowly not displaying art

They come from https://github.com/Awful/thread-tags and are made by anyone who feels like making some. If anyone so feels, check out the read me for specifications, and if you get stuck at any point just holler!

The Dave posted:

A lot have been removed because apple was rejecting the app because of them, could be getting caught in that as well.

Oh yeah, forgot about that stupidity.

Crime on a Dime posted:

big report: threads that were unstickied but previously stickied stay at the top of the list as if they were still sticky. also posted by field somehow displays some users previous username if they have changed it

The sticky thing is a bug, will +1 that on the list.

The "posted by" thing actually happens on the website too. Awful will show the user's current username if you find it some other way (e.g. read a post by that user), but other than that I'm not sure what we can reasonably do. Worth thinking about though.

Bill Brasky posted:

Would it be possible to load posted tweets in a dark mode? I’m reading the trump thread in the dark and every posted tweet is like a flashlight.

Yep! A good idea.

Data Graham posted:

I saw someone else mention it, so +1 on that thing where when you’re scrolling down a thread, it will occasionally go into this weird state where it forces the view to slowly scroll upward while simultaneously moving the toolbar (with “scroll to end” and “parent forum”) into view. If you scroll manually while it’s doing this, the whole view shudders as it fights you.

This is a weird one, I've seen it happen (or I think it's the same thing) sometimes just when I come back to Awful after my device was asleep.

Sereri posted:

Yeah we've been doing that for *checks commitlog* years

Yeah, well, we've had an open ticket to do it sometime for *checks issues* years.

carry on then posted:

Platform sass is the last thing this thread needs

Other Awful app developers need to share their pain though!

I do love boosting people complaining in the Awful.apk thread that they can't post threads. Did that issue turn driving age yet?

Warbird posted:

Port this to the iWatch for hilarity’s sake.

watchOS did recently gain a web view…

I love thinking about just how godawful an Apple TV app would be. Watching someone type in a post using that goofy-rear end remote sounds like some excellent cringe comedy. Alas, no (publicly accessible) web view on tvOS makes rendering posts kinda difficult.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I can't click on usernames to get functions like posts in thread anymore. only just noticed I guess because I'm mostly reading

It's a weird intermittent bug. I have no idea what causes it, but it doesn't ever seem to be a permanent condition. Always happy to hear more about it though, someday we'll figure it out.

GenericGirlName posted:

My spoiler text as fixed for a while when I was on vacation over the weekend and then it wasn't anymore?? I'm posting about it but honestly as a software developer this is the worst possible vague post about a bug at all so please don't even respond to this.

You're not wrong, but I'm at the point with this bug that literally anything might trigger the "aha!" moment so I'm happy to hear about it anyway.

TraderStav posted:

Force closing the app and then restarting it brings back spoiler text reading. Then after some amount of time it stops.

Hope that helps.

Does a force quit restore spoiler tapping 100% of the time? Until it breaks again, I mean. Like if you force quit then does the first spoiler you tap thereafter always work?

The Dave posted:

It’s purely a design exploration, I’m not going to limit it based on feasibility at this point. Also to be honest it’s nothing unreasonable for an app design. Maybe for awful with how much it has to sacrifice being a scraper, but again that’s not really the point of a first round exploration.

Seems doable to me. I'm sure if we try to implement it it'll uncover some weirdness, but at this point doing anything in this codebase uncovers some weirdness. It's what happens when I use it as a personal experiment lab for the better part of a decade (yeesh).

MarcusSA posted:

I know I've brought this up before buuuttt I gotta say it again.

I like how when using the app on the iPad you can swipe right and it brings up the book marks. On the phone though you have to pull from the edge of the screen to get them to come up. Would it be at all possible to replicate that the way the iPad does it on the phone. I don't think a right swipe does anything on the phone right now.

It would make the app much more 1 hand friendly on the phone IMO.

I see what you mean, especially on a big phone.

I've done the "swipe from anywhere to pop the navigation stack" thing before, and it was a surprisingly huge pain in the rear end. The basic implementation isn't so bad, but then it's edge case city, population: me. That said, when it works it's real easy to get used to. Definitely something I'll consider.

ratbert90 posted:

Also, fun fact: scrubbing on a YouTube video will slide out the navigation bar.

I suspect this will not be fun to fix, but it's definitely worth noting!

iajanus posted:

It's a really useful feature until it triggers accidentally (like when you're trying to bring down the notification or settings pane) and then it's incredibly frustrating.

I vaguely remember Instapaper (back in the day at least, no idea about now) would pop up a lil "hey did you really mean to scroll to the top?" thing that was kinda cute.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

IllegallySober posted:

Same, and same!

sorry and :toot:

serious norman posted:

Copying FYAD flag urls adds a space before the URL when pasting it, or I might be stupid, love the app nevertheless

Nah that's the app, I'll +1 it on the list.

kimbo305 posted:

More of a curiosity than a real bug, but when you swipe right to leave a thread back to the forum, the title text seems to change "page" width, taking on a different newline position.
https://imgur.com/a/wmfsZd7

I've seen that too! One of those "now that you've seen it you can't unsee it" things.

That two-line navbar title might be some of the oldest code still in the app. Never did quite get it 100%.

Red_Fred posted:

I’ve recently been having some problems with the Dark theme in low light feature. It doesn’t seem to consistently work like it did on my old 6s and 7. Is this a known issue? Currently I have to adjust the brightness slider in the app ever so slightly to get it to trigger.

I’m running the latest version of Awful on an 8. I can’t be sure this behaviour started when I got my 8 a month or two back or if it happened during an update sorry.

It's news to me! I use that feature all the time and haven't noticed anything like this. Then again, maybe I am running into it and I chalk it up to "maybe I didn't actually set my screen brightness where I thought I did".

Regular Nintendo posted:

Extremely subtle embarrassment.

As mentioned, it's a bug.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I get an error everytime i try and upload a photo that I've taken then cropped on the phone - uncropped photos work fine

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheMightyHandful posted:

I get an error everytime i try and upload a photo that I've taken then cropped on the phone - uncropped photos work fine

I actually use a Shortcut (previously Workflow) that uploads the most the recent photo in the Photos library to my Imgur account (although you can also upload anonymously) as a jpeg, adds timg tags and copies to the clipboard so I can paste it into Awful.

Here's the actual script (I actually used the script to upload the screenshots one of which is cropped). You can also change the first step in the script to pick an image manually rather than picking up the most recent image.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I actually use a Shortcut (previously Workflow) that uploads the most the recent photo in the Photos library to my Imgur account (although you can also upload anonymously) as a jpeg, adds timg tags and copies to the clipboard so I can paste it into Awful.

Here's the actual script (I actually used the script to upload the screenshots one of which is cropped). You can also change the first step in the script to pick an image manually rather than picking up the most recent image.

Yeah just use that. If you are on an iPhone the app doesn’t like the file format that Apple is using now so it errors out.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

pokeyman posted:

Does a force quit restore spoiler tapping 100% of the time? Until it breaks again, I mean. Like if you force quit then does the first spoiler you tap thereafter always work?

Everytime in my limited sample size (at least a dozen or two)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah just use that. If you are on an iPhone the app doesn’t like the file format that Apple is using now so it errors out.

Can you say more about the formats in question?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

Can you say more about the formats in question?

They changed the default format for (i think only) photos taken by the camera app from png to... heic i think? in a recent version of ios

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Regular Nintendo posted:

They changed the default format for (i think only) photos taken by the camera app from png to... heic i think? in a recent version of ios

But we can upload the ones that come out of Camera if they aren’t cropped. What format do they become once they’re cropped?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

But we can upload the ones that come out of Camera if they aren’t cropped. What format do they become once they’re cropped?

I think the format is called "idk you google it"

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah something is wonky for me with the auto dark theme. Sometimes it triggers but it’s in pretty bright light but if I turn the only light off it doesn’t trigger. Unless I’m not understanding how the slider works?

Could it relate to True Tone?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Regular Nintendo posted:

I think the format is called "idk you google it"

Sorry, I thought you knew from what you said before.

(I did google for it a bit, but didn’t find anything else saying that they were different formats, partly I’m sure because there are a ton of articles about how to crop images on iOS clogging up the results.)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 10, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I found lots of stuff about HEIC as a format, but nothing that explained what changed when an image was cropped. I’ll keep looking.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I found lots of stuff about HEIC as a format, but nothing that explained what changed when an image was cropped. I’ll keep looking.

As far as I know the only thing that changes is image size.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Proteus Jones posted:

As far as I know the only thing that changes is image size.

Phooey, that was an interesting lead!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Gets even more complicated, some of the share functions will automatically convert to from HEIC to JPEG. I imagine there's an API that's used when uploading that auto-converts as well (In fact I'm sure of it, since my script in Shortcuts has a convert function)

Also, you can override the default in settings and have it bypass using HEIC completely and store things as JPEGs.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah something is wonky for me with the auto dark theme. Sometimes it triggers but it’s in pretty bright light but if I turn the only light off it doesn’t trigger. Unless I’m not understanding how the slider works?

Could it relate to True Tone?

What happens if you use control center to drop the brightness manually?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

In the last week, I’ve been getting network errors when navigating to the next page of a thread a significant percent of the time. When I exit the app and restart it loads just fine. Not sure if it’s a server issue or app bug. I wish I had more helpful info, but it’s the first time I’ve had this issue in years of using this app (a massive thank you to everyone who has put in hard work - it’s my most used app by a large margin)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this is dumb and would probably never work correctly but!!!

I would love it if we could “download” a thread for offline viewing. I travel a bit and it would be cool to be able to catch up on threads I haven’t had a chance to read for a few days (I’m looking at you r/relationships thread)

I get that it probably be a nightmare to do but hey I figure shoot for the moon!

Thanks love app.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Subjunctive posted:

I imagine it works the same way Lightroom and the photos app on osx work, where the edits, until exported, are just a list of changes in a database. That seems more likely than your phone duplicating everything you edit in case you later want to revert to the original.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the shortcuts app is, in fact, a separate app. That's a drat sight more useful than Siri shortcuts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Also, thanks for pointing out that the shortcuts app is, in fact, a separate app. That's a drat sight more useful than Siri shortcuts.

Make sure you add it to whatever the gently caress this screen is called.

The widgets screen?? I dunno what they actually call it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

carry on then posted:

What happens if you use control center to drop the brightness manually?

Yep it works then. If I drop it right down in control centre then the dark theme kicks in even in daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Make sure you add it to whatever the gently caress this screen is called.

The widgets screen?? I dunno what they actually call it.

You can do that, you can also have it create a “home screen” icons that launch the appropriate shortcut. They’re just like any other app icon, just instead of an app they launch specific shortcut scripts.