Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

serpentza's problems with women are not that he's horny.

It's kind of the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I need to vent. Does it ever occur to people that you can just prefer to just NOT have global hegemons, rather than "this guy would do it better"?

And that's on top of the fact that "the US government is still accountable to its people" and "the judicial and legislative branches are a check on each other" is a complete and utter joke born of sheer ignorance.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I never quite get what these people would think Chinese hegemony even looks like.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's not us hegemony, and that's more than enough for them to reject it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Prav posted:

it's not us hegemony, and that's more than enough for them to reject it

Yeah nobody else could act in the same good faith as the US lmao

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

gradenko_2000 posted:

I need to vent. Does it ever occur to people that you can just prefer to just NOT have global hegemons, rather than "this guy would do it better"?

And that's on top of the fact that "the US government is still accountable to its people" and "the judicial and legislative branches are a check on each other" is a complete and utter joke born of sheer ignorance.

your mistake is trying to oppose USA government on liberal grounds LOL

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Typo posted:

your mistake is posting on reddit LOL

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

The Great Autismo! posted:

I thought serpentza was married to a chinese woman and that modest Mao lived in Taiwan with his Taiwanese girlfriend

I really don't think what these people are saying is "mainland women won't have sex with me!" that's a heck of a decoder ring you got there

I mean serpentza's wife makes videos on his account, just search "serpentza wife" on youtube, it took like two seconds. I don't think he's really all that fussed about girls not having sex with him

I work in media (photographer/cinematographer) so I gotta travel a lot, I've been based in Taiwan and L.A. The party I missed that sincx is obsessed with was an industry thing, media people just hanging out and I'd be there to make business connections & have fun. I'm probably the least sex-patty guy.

It's extremely easy to gently caress over foreign people who are in China temporarily for a job. I've invested basically my entire adult life in my career in Asia. In LA speaking mandarin is a novelty.

It actually really blows to be so vulnerable but I guess it's funny cause I'm white and historically it is the Chinese people's turn to be racists.

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 06:41 on Jan 9, 2019

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I never quite get what these people would think Chinese hegemony even looks like.

probably a combination of impressions from "yellow peril" propaganda combined with left-over cold war era propaganda film Red Dawn about Soviet domination of America

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

probably a combination of impressions from "yellow peril" propaganda combined with left-over cold war era propaganda film Red Dawn about Soviet domination of America

that movie was about the liberation of the us hth. the protagonists are objectively bad people

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Mar 23, 2021

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Larry Parrish posted:

that movie was about the liberation of the us hth. the protagonists are objectively bad people

The Soviets were deeply revisionist by that time hence why they collapsed, it's probably better for capitalism to win on the short run so that orthodox Marxist-Leninism triumph in the end

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

sincx posted:

For the record, I wouldn't have said anything about Modest Mao (whose posting I generally do like) if he hadn't added this to the end of that post: "Mainland men are so incredibly sensitive jesus christ"

He's probably going to deny this tooth and nail, but that statement makes little sense outside of a "he thinks Chinese men are cockblocking him" context.

who cares creep

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

For the record, I wouldn't have said anything about Modest Mao (whose posting I generally do like) if he hadn't added this to the end of that post: "Mainland men are so incredibly sensitive jesus christ"

He's probably going to deny this tooth and nail, but that statement makes little sense outside of a "he thinks Chinese men are cockblocking him" context.

don't double down on this dude, just let it go and hope we all forget about it, ffs

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
They are probably nervous about being a bad host with a foreigner or a million other minor things but you're just afraid of race mixing. Projecting that into every social situation is pretty cool!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Modest Mao posted:

They are probably nervous about being a bad host with a foreigner or a million other minor things but you're just afraid of race mixing. Projecting that into every social situation is pretty cool!

I made a helpful graph

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Great Autismo! posted:

I made a helpful graph

checks out

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how to file this: China is allowing thousands of Kazakhs to forfeit their Chinese citizenship to move to Kazakhstan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

quote:

The foreign ministry press office confirmed Kazakh media reports from December that China had agreed to let more than 2,000 ethnic Kazakhs leave. It did not say who could leave or why. They will be allowed to apply for Kazakh citizenship or permanent residency after their arrival in Kazakhstan, the email said.

It's an appeasement measure, plain and simple. Nothing about letting free Uighurs or other ethnic minorities since there's not another country to potentially threaten them as a result.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

sincx posted:

Lmao, the China thread in the Unnamed Forum is once again just sexpats defending their Asian fetishes. Modest Mao is very angry that the local guys aren't willing to facilitate his sexpating.

sincx!!!!
So this is where you've been hiding.

It's probably a good idea considering your "World View" only really functions properly in an Echo Chamber.

Please, carry on.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

It's an appeasement measure, plain and simple. Nothing about letting free Uighurs or other ethnic minorities since there's not another country to potentially threaten them as a result.

I'm interested in parallels, because I'm sure this happens, but I find it hard to think of examples. By "this" I mean "we'll 'let' you leave, but don't come back, you're not from here anymore." Do Cubans who emigrate get stripped of their citizenship?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Norton the First posted:

I'm interested in parallels, because I'm sure this happens, but I find it hard to think of examples. By "this" I mean "we'll 'let' you leave, but don't come back, you're not from here anymore." Do Cubans who emigrate get stripped of their citizenship?

Kazakhstan doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol u you got owned on reddit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Kazakhstan doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

... does it matter if they do so long as the other country continues to recognize them as a citizen? Maybe they don't let you immigrate if you are a citizen of somewhere else I guess.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

... does it matter if they do so long as the other country continues to recognize them as a citizen? Maybe they don't let you immigrate if you are a citizen of somewhere else I guess.

Depends, some countries will revoke your citizenship if you become a citizen of a second one or won't renounce the second citizenship.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Jan 10, 2019

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah, is the implication that Kazakhstan won't let them in until they renounce their Chinese citizenship, or what? I guess the article isn't clear on the mechanism at work.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's western media reporting on something happening in China. We're lucky if it isn't 100% fabricated, don't question the details.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Bip Roberts posted:

lol u you got owned on reddit

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

this post is one of the most pathetic things i have ever seen on this web site

and folks, that includes the times i forgot to turn on my monitor

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I think we can all agree that the only way for gradenko to redeem himself is to commit Seppuku after such shameful display

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

this post is one of the most pathetic things i have ever seen on this web site

and folks, that includes the times i forgot to turn on my monitor

gradenko_2000 posted:

I looked this up and it doesn't seem so bad? Like, any overthrow of Capitalism is necessarily going to intersect with a lot of moneyed interests anyway.

hmmm okay the Nazi adjacency is bad, disregard

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao

you're the bigger man, i'll give you that

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is still one of the greatest c-spam posts of all time. no shame

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

in fairness to grade no, without looking at the context I can agree that the nazi adjacency is indeed bad

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
china: nazi adjacency is bad

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

Hahahahaha

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2019/01/07/arrested-canadian-says-legal-trouble-followed-him-home.html

Canadian too dumb to know its safe to post that crap on GBS but not on a Chinese government controlled platform.

Speaking of Canadian, where's pevan?

out of that entire article, the number of people in his WeChat group and the fact that he's married is the point that you chose to bold?

there's a thread about it here: https://bbs.hupu.com/23746499.html

The Great Autismo! has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Jan 10, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I kinda think there's another thread for the foreign male experience in China. It's a little interesting that people can go to jail for weeks for posts they make in small private chat groups but this thread is better suited for more less trivial subjects that whiteness abroad.

Also your obsession with interracial couples is bordering /r/hapa

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Jan 10, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

sincx posted:

I think the biases, racist tendencies, and hidden motives of the "foreign white male," who are almost the exclusive source of English-language news about and discourse regarding China, is a very relevant topic for this thread.

E.g.: https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/05/18/sexpat-journalists-are-ruining-asia-coverage/

uhhhh I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about this.

This article has some interesting stuff, definitely. But her opening example of sexpat is foreign men in China trying to rape a Canadian journalist. I think you really need some self reflection about why you find this topic so fascinating.

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Jan 10, 2019