Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I fell into an in-progress Orbonne group on boss 2, we managed that, but bos 3 killed us. One of our parties didn't have the DPS/coordination for the add phase, which is a really brutal DPS check, on top of everything else. Luckily once you've seen it once, CId's attacks are pretty predictable, you just have to pay attention. The trickiest ones I found were Crush Weapon being so fast, and getting people into circles for Duskblade.

Ghimlyt Dark however, is pretty damned great and probably the best 4-man of the expansion.

I assume the new hair shows up for sale after you beat the 24-man? It's listed as being at the Gold Saucer on Garlond Tools.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hunter Noventa posted:

I assume the new hair shows up for sale after you beat the 24-man? It's listed as being at the Gold Saucer on Garlond Tools.

Correct.

Also: Double check that spoiler tag, possibly expand it since the ability's a bit of a spoiler as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Ghimlyt Dark however, is pretty damned great and probably the best 4-man of the expansion.

I thought it was okay but Swallow's Compass is far and away my favorite dungeon of the expansion.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ghimlyt makes a very strong impression but none of the fights are that interesting and having a good narrative reason for there being an endless parade of trash doesn't make the trash any better. I think they've been pretty consistently knocking dungeons out of the fuckin park lately, so this one doesn't really rate imo

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Real big fan of the pencil filter on /gpose.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Mechanically and as a storypiece Ghimlyt is fine, but there's next to nothing new to see and Zorn and Thorn Annia and Julia haven't really made much of a storyline impression other than "those two guards that stand around silently" for being the final MSQ dungeon bosses of the expansion, when you compare to Keeper of the Lake and Baelsar's Wall. It is fun, though, seeing your alliance comrades helping out in bits and pieces. The person who uses the limit break to defeat the colossus isn't even the same every time!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was expecting Zenos-dibus as the dungeon boss.

Also, you'd think people would be more concerned that the Warrior of Light might fall into a coma, costing them the war at an inopportune moment.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was expecting Zenos-dibus as the dungeon boss.

Also, you'd think people would be more concerned that the Warrior of Light might fall into a coma, costing them the war at an inopportune moment.

At this point I'm half convinced they're all secretly petrified of what'll happen if something doesn't eventually take the WoL down.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

homeless snail posted:

Ghimlyt makes a very strong impression but none of the fights are that interesting and having a good narrative reason for there being an endless parade of trash doesn't make the trash any better. I think they've been pretty consistently knocking dungeons out of the fuckin park lately, so this one doesn't really rate imo

I am a big fan of it, but mostly because the trash was mostly small with one big dude in it so it was easy for me to AE as a samurai, which makes it better than every single instance in this expansion except the first 3 by default, and I definitely like the bosses in it more than kugane or temple.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://i.imgur.com/Fr8EVzW.gifv

Book Parkour

360 No Cast

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 9, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I think at some point someone in Azim Steppe mentioned that it makes no sense how few people there are in each tribe. Does Varis's speech imply that everyone was split up across the different shards of Hyda-mom? Is that something we already knew?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I do have to admit, I was not expecting those 24 man bosses.

"I am Mustadio!" uh... what version of FFT did I play because I'm drat sure that he wasn't a sniper me-, oh poo poo, he sniped all three alliances to death. oh poo poo, it's Agrias! ... God drat lady, chill the gently caress out with this trash talk! Wait, who is this person in the brown cloak who looks lik- NO PLEASE TG CID SHOW MERCY

Also, having ALL the bosses in a raid or trial fully voiced needs to be the trend going forward.

Hell, go back and voice old trials and bosses too.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 9, 2019

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So what the gently caress is up with blue mage's tooltip?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Cappy posted:

I think at some point someone in Azim Steppe mentioned that it makes no sense how few people there are in each tribe. Does Varis's speech imply that everyone was split up across the different shards of Hyda-mom? Is that something we already knew?

no, that's just ps4 limitations

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Finished the new trial and raid via Duty Finder. Overall the FFXIV community is pretty good! However, those assholes who get all high and mighty about wipes on completely new content are the worst. Clearing each boss only took 2-3 attempts, but we had multiple sanctimonious assholes in chat by the end.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Not a big fan of all the wasting of my very precious time [citation needed] that Ghimlyt does. Would I know who the final bosses were if I didn't skip 99% of the cutscenes?

Truga posted:

no, that's just ps4 limitations

Varis is trying to port us to a better gaming platform.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Not a big fan of all the wasting of my very precious time [citation needed] that Ghimlyt does. Would I know who the final bosses were if I didn't skip 99% of the cutscenes?
They've been showing up in the background of a lot of cutscenes lately, but no

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MechaX posted:

I do have to admit, I was not expecting those 24 man bosses.

"I am Mustadio!" uh... what version of FFT did I play because I'm drat sure that he wasn't a sniper me-, oh poo poo, he sniped all three alliances to death. oh poo poo, it's Agrias! ... God drat lady, chill the gently caress out with this trash talk! Wait, who is this person in the brown cloak who looks lik- NO PLEASE TG CID SHOW MERCY

Also, having ALL the bosses in a raid or trial fully voiced needs to be the trend going forward.

Hell, go back and voice old trials and bosses too.

The final boss was the only character I expected. I'm glad Antipyretic plays, though!

Captain Cappy posted:

They've been standing around in cutscenes that involve Varis lately.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Wow, that truly was a higher difficulty raid. The 2nd boss is just memorize the mechanics, but oh god what a clusterfuck the final boss is. I hope everyone didn't forget everything from earlier raids.

I don't regret skipping all the cs this alliance raid, holy balls all these :words: Hopefully I didn't miss much in the grander plot of things doing so.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I barely squeaked out a raid clear (1:35 left on the clock?). The mechanics, the story, the mechanics, the setting, the mechanics, Montblanc being a spaz, THE MECHANICS!!! All of the tells are pretty clear and the windows are generous. Nothing feels like it's an HP sponge the same way Rabanasty or Lighthouse were.

fuckin hancock

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not really sure about (Ivalice 3) the lightning marker during add phase. I got targeted by it once and it obliterated me instantly, but other people seemed to be surviving it. Maybe I had a debuff from being clipped by one of the big AoEs, I dunno. Other than that I was able to figure out pretty much all the mechanics after getting wrecked by them once, so at least there's nothing terribly obscure or arcane going on. Just lots of fun and hoping the rest of the alliance manages to make their dps checks. The last fight is hectic as hell, but in a good way.

I like the 4 man but oof so much downtime while bosses jump away.

Snakedad is ok. Not super exciting but it's not like I hate the fight either.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So apparently there's a post-Ivalice quest on the airship.

It addresses a lot of concerns I saw from Winequest, like giving Gegeruju a fake wine or taking advantage of Drest.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
shamwow?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Solovey posted:

so i am a full-time working adult with slow internet who will probably not have a chance to play any of the new content until tomorrow at the earliest, but this bastard is literally my favorite character in the whole final fantasy franchise and so i gotta know, can somebody please spoil me, what is he doing here. what the heck is he DOING in this storyline

he's a teaser. at the end of the raid quest, he shows up at the lighthouse with a bunch of imperials in a cutscene to show that the empire is Up To Things and possibly hinting at more stuff in the future.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The spriggan and I took the moogle to the cleaners for 17k points in one hand, feels good.

Some guy was complaining in chat about mahjong not giving MGP, but gently caress that guy. Best thing the saucer has ever gotten.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phone posted:

shamwow?

Yes, that's the quest.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what it is about the mechanics that make people go nuts because they're not that complex.

Maybe it's just the overwhelming fear of TG Cid trash talking your rear end 24/7.

It's TG Cid.

If you weren't afraid for your life before, you clearly didn't play enough FFT to know any better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sure are a lot of people clinging to Varis, Solus, and Elidibus!Zenos are actually RIGHT on various forums and communities, despite this patch doubling down on making them assholes.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
it's hard to write fascists comically evil enough that gamers won't still agree with them

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Nodosaur posted:

sure are a lot of people clinging to Varis, Solus, and Elidibus!Zenos are actually RIGHT on various forums and communities, despite this patch doubling down on making them assholes.

If people like Garlemald after this patch, I'm legitimately going to think they're kinda into boot-licking fascism. Varis loving outright says he wants to make a master race. This poo poo ain't subtext; it's TEXT but in all caps and in giant, neon letters.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Finally, at long last we defeated the true villians and are free from the Scion's nefarious overhold on the plot and major characters

I mean, I did feel a little bad for Alisiae, but it was telegraphed so hard before the dungeon.

It's...actually been so long since we did stuff wholly without them, I wonder who the WoL be bothered to do stuff by now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I like the 24 man. It's a good somewhat cheesy end to the story.

The second boss had me a bit in tears from how awesome it was :v:

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

The Ghimlyt Dark is ok. It could have been amazing but the last few packs are all.

"Kill everything? Have another?
Kill that? HAVE ANOTHER?"

That poo poo can gently caress off.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

If people like Garlemald after this patch, I'm legitimately going to think they're kinda into boot-licking fascism. Varis loving outright says he wants to make a master race. This poo poo ain't subtext; it's TEXT but in all caps and in giant, neon letters.

"All races are inferior and must be one!" as he looks at me, the Godslayer, an adorable catgirl.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Nodosaur posted:

Writing team is really tired of people wanting to wear SS uniforms and have basically pulled the big red lever they had to force the issue in the most hamfisted way possible and it's absolutely hilarious :v:

E: Big G is still in the clear though, they let us have that at least.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nodosaur posted:

Gamers love fascism. If you make your villains even SLIGHTLY comprehensible and human in their motivations they will want to join the fascists, every time.

Emalde posted:

Writing team is really tired of people wanting to wear SS uniforms and have basically pulled the big red lever they had to force the issue in the most hamfisted way possible and it's absolutely hilarious :v:

The Garleans were always racial supremacists, to be fair. Varis is just saying the quiet part loud.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've seen discussions on Reddit trying to Galaxy Brain Varis' speech after the break. They were claiming he was trying to tell the Alliance the Ascians' plans by acting like an unhinged madman. The posts kept mentioning the weird fixation on the moths near the chandeliers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Now let's be fair. Garlemald superfans might not all be fascist-sympathizers. (4.5 spoiler) Some of them may be such fanatical internet atheists that five or six massive apocalypses just to get rid of the fukkin wizards would be worth it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Emalde posted:

There's roughly zero chance the Japanese writing team cares about any of that, and the overall plotlines have probably been established for years anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Japanese writing team has literally said "We weren't expecting the Garlean Sympathizers so we're trying to make them more evil to make it clearer."