Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Surprise! It looks like the good guys managed to eke out a win, but then the episode ends with a metahuman kid they saved getting shot in the brain by a farmer with a shotgun. It's no Lex Luthor "Exactly as keikaku" though.

It was still a win, it just was a bittersweet win. They only managed to save two of the metahuman kids, but they still brought down the trafficking ring that was kidnapping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Dawgstar posted:

Having recently re-watched the first two seasons, boy were Weisman's particular storytelling fetishes on display. The 'according to plan' especially. Even when the villains seem to lose big, nah. Less so but in a way more irritating were the weird stand-up routines regarding wordplay, like 'You ALWAYS hear about people being 'disgruntled' is ANYBODY ever just 'gruntled' and it probably is not as prevalent as it seems but boy howdy was it obnoxious.

I strongly agree. It got so irritating how I constantly had to hear "We get overwhelmed, but is anybody just 'whelmed?'" It's like a bad Seinfeld routine.

Yes, Weisman. I am whelmed at your constant need for those idiot jokey-jokes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That only happened in the first episodes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Whelmed' at least goes into the second season. Red Arrow even does it once.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
HELLO MEGAN kept going and got its own episode fairly late in season 1.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I still hated it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was still a win, it just was a bittersweet win. They only managed to save two of the metahuman kids, but they still brought down the trafficking ring that was kidnapping them.

Yeah but a bittersweet win is what they always do, most often by having a member of The Light go "Everything is going exactly as we planned". It just felt like a really unnecessary moment to end the episode on that didn't serve any purpose other than to make it sad at the end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well yeah that's cause it was actually a plot point.

Dawgstar posted:

It was just an injoke at that point. They don't explain or go over it's details again.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

To be fair, they're teenagers in season 1, so bad in jokes at least are plausible. The "whelmed" thing was at least not ran into the ground after the setup in the first episode.

Hello Megan was grating until we finally got to the episode that explained why M'gann kept saying it. I mean, iirc everyone else was sick of it in the show and they loosened up on her after.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TheHan posted:

Yeah but a bittersweet win is what they always do, most often by having a member of The Light go "Everything is going exactly as we planned". It just felt like a really unnecessary moment to end the episode on that didn't serve any purpose other than to make it sad at the end.

It wasn't even sad, it was just annoying. It felt like they did it to push some message or something.

Also was there ever any hints at Blue Beetle and Impuse being a thing? Because apparently that's a popular couple that people want in the show?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also was there ever any hints at Blue Beetle and Impuse being a thing? Because apparently that's a popular couple that people want in the show?

Nope cause neither of them are even gay.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Thanks for your insider information there, Mr. Weisman.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Something neat that got pointed out on another site, if you take the first letter of the first word of each episode name in the new season(there's a leaked list of them) and arrange them in order, it forms a little message

PREPARE THE ANTI-LIFE EQUATION

You don't even have to arrange them in any specific order, they're purposefully all spelling that in the order they air.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dawgstar posted:

I am almost 95% certain that the Whelmed joke was taken word for word from Peter David's run on Young Justice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ThermoPhysical posted:

You don't even have to arrange them in any specific order, they're purposefully all spelling that in the order they air.

It's got people speculating that we might get a version of Final Crisis either as the finale for this season or more likely for the next season assuming we get another one

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

I am almost 95% certain that the Whelmed joke was taken word for word from Peter David's run on Young Justice.

PAD Guy also loves his wordplay humor he thinks is way too clever, although typically he goes for really dumb puns.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I liked the wordplay and found it charming and intelligent. Also the "hello, Megan" thing sets up one of the best character arcs in the first season.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

It's got people speculating that we might get a version of Final Crisis either as the finale for this season or more likely for the next season assuming we get another one

That seems like a series finale kind of thing and knowing Weisman, he's not gonna let a silly thing like "ratings" or "the possibility of cancellation" let him deviate from that 7 season plan, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

That seems like a series finale kind of thing and knowing Weisman, he's not gonna let a silly thing like "ratings" or "the possibility of cancellation" let him deviate from that 7 season plan, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's admirable enough in its own way, though it can understandably be very frustrating.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seasons 1 and 2 were a lock production wise before the ratings for anything, including the first season, came in. I know y’all like to paint the man as an arrogant taskmaster committed to his vision at the expense of actual storytelling and that he’s resistant to any potential negative feedback, but the realities of production legitimately don’t line up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On recent Young Justice

Man these poor metahuman kids. Also I do like Black Spider as evil Spider-Man.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 12, 2019

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Private Security might be the best episode of Young Justice, It felt like a Justice League Unlimited one-shot. They’re really getting everything they can out of Khary Payton.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Private Security went in an entirely different direction than I expected and I loved it.

I was surprised to have three more self contained episodes after the previous three more or less being a single story line.

Also, episode 6 spoiler wasn't expecting 2 more Robins like that.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

On one hand I like YJ introducing so many characters.

On the other hand please stop introducing characters YJ you ignored half the cast in season 2 as it was why would you put in even more you madmen

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Private Security might be the best episode of Young Justice, It felt like a Justice League Unlimited one-shot. They’re really getting everything they can out of Khary Payton.

Man I just realized how much range Khary has. I did not realize he was Kaldur, Manta, Black Lighting and Brick. They all sound so different.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man I just realized how much range Khary has. I did not realize he was Kaldur, Manta, Black Lighting and Brick. They all sound so different.

And he plays Cyborg on TT/TTGO.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

MonsterEnvy posted:

Really? Because genuinely they all sound super similar to me. I just hear Cyborg doing slightly different voices.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love Khary, but I always remember how not great the industry is when he is the voice of 80% of black young adult characters in tv animation, because the industry is terrible like that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I love Khary, but I always remember how not great the industry is when he is the voice of 80% of black young adult characters in tv animation, because the industry is terrible like that.

I mean that is pretty standard for voice actors to be in everything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

He can't be 80% as long as Phil Lamarr is still in the game.

e: oh wait, I guess Phil only does adults

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's not just a matter of Khary Payton playing all the black characters. It's also a matter that animated shows, under union work, can only use so many voice actors in a production before they're forced to pay everyone more, which oftentimes exceeds their budget.

this is why you have certain actors playing multiple characters in a given episode oftentimes, with scripts even written with that in mind, or some not even saying anything at all, even if they're a regular.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

TwoPair posted:

He can't be 80% as long as Phil Lamarr is still in the game.

e: oh wait, I guess Phil only does adults

Nah. Phil was Static Shock. He also plays Bernard on Craig of the Creek.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I noticed Reign of the Supermen dropped today, and I actually kinda like it? Felt more enjoyable than the last animated DC movie I remember bothering to watch, and Superboy wound up being my favorite character. One thing really bothered me about the final battle though, Hank Henshaw makes a point of saying Superman won't kill him, and Superman says he's right, moments before jamming a crystal through Hank's skull and having the Eradicator kill him in his mind. Which is...kind of worse than killing him but also still killing him?

TheHan fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 15, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
time for more marvel rising

https://twitter.com/Marvel_Rising/status/1085684326916870144

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watched the first three episodes of Young Justice S3 last night, and I feel impressed that I don't think I caught a single catch phrase. Kind of annoyed that we got another time skip with a big status quo change up again.

And yikes at that scene with Halo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

TheHan posted:

I noticed Reign of the Supermen dropped today, and I actually kinda like it? Felt more enjoyable than the last animated DC movie I remember bothering to watch, and Superboy wound up being my favorite character. One thing really bothered me about the final battle though, Hank Henshaw makes a point of saying Superman won't kill him, and Superman says he's right, moments before jamming a crystal through Hank's skull and having the Eradicator kill him in his mind. Which is...kind of worse than killing him but also still killing him?

It was ok for the most part. My main take away was how Cyborg Superman's design doesn't look nearly as cool when used with the New 52 Superman style costume instead of the classic one.

I do appreciate them including the 90's power mullet though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This was incredibly bland.

Also I guess their new Spider-Man cartoon really is cancelled considering there's been nothing for months now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is animation under Loeb's purview? It would be easy to blame him.

I probably would anyway.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Vakal posted:

It was ok for the most part. My main take away was how Cyborg Superman's design doesn't look nearly as cool when used with the New 52 Superman style costume instead of the classic one.

I do appreciate them including the 90's power mullet though.

Yeah there did seem to be something missing from it design wise, maybe just added some red. Also tying his into Darkseid felt a little unnecessary. At this point Darkseid's just sending monsters to earth weekly like he's Rita Repulsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

TheHan posted:

Yeah there did seem to be something missing from it design wise, maybe just added some red. Also tying his into Darkseid felt a little unnecessary. At this point Darkseid's just sending monsters to earth weekly like he's Rita Repulsa.

I did laugh though when the justice league members all grouped together just in time for the falling portal to land on top of them. Also you can tell that this movie was animated before Aquaman was a hit for DC as he's nowhere to be found yet Hawkman is there for no reason.