Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just played Panzyr and the turrets gave me a free Dragon. Which is great until I look at what the Dragon actually is. Is there a way to savage this thing? I'm already packing a Centurion, a Hunchback, Wolverine and Shadowhawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Centurion and Shadow Hawk can basically do anything the Dragon can do as well or even better than it can.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fat Samurai posted:

Just played Panzyr and the turrets gave me a free Dragon. Which is great until I look at what the Dragon actually is. Is there a way to savage this thing? I'm already packing a Centurion, a Hunchback, Wolverine and Shadowhawk.

The Dragon (DRG-1N) is basically a Shadowhawk (SHD-2D specifically) that moves 1 phase slower and has slightly more armor. Put in 2 small lasers and 5 JJ and use it as the charging brawler it was meant to be.

EDIT: Here's the spreadsheet of all the mech stats. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/htmlview?sle=true

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

PPCs in general are a waste of tonnage unless you do some .json fuckery to bring their weight/heat down to something more appealing.

In the early game they can be effective because they can one-shot lighter mechs and the AI has real trouble hitting you with its crap pilots even before the hit penalty.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wrapped up the second part of the Castle Nautilus mission, goddamn was that hard. Kamea survived with half of her mech missing, I was worried I would have to retry that mission.

The Gauss rifle is pretty sweet, and I wish I had about 10 more of them. Damage in between an AC/10 and AC/20, but with basically no heat generation and crazy long range. First mission with it I managed to pop the head off a Zeus on the first shot from extreme range. I almost felt bad for the AI there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Fat Samurai posted:

No; every single other one of your mechs is better.

Even the Vindicator, which you probably already sold or permanently confined to storage, is better.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Narsham posted:

In the early game they can be effective because they can one-shot lighter mechs and the AI has real trouble hitting you with its crap pilots even before the hit penalty.

Just started but
I had great success putting 2 PPC on my early Vindicator and then using precision shot to core lights.
Glitch is just the best “You get a head shot and you get a head shot”.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cardiac posted:

Just started but
I had great success putting 2 PPC on my early Vindicator and then using precision shot to core lights.
Glitch is just the best “You get a head shot and you get a head shot”.

LLs do almost as much damage as PPCs but are lighter, run much cooler and have an inherent +1 acc bonus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I turned my ppc catapult into a 4 large laser catapult and that thing is really pulling its weight. Especially when my Jager blew the gently caress up on Criminal Minds 3 and when my Orion fell down and got all its armor stripped (but it didn't explode!). The PPCatapult and Banshee just beat the poo poo out of everything they could. The Catapult particularly tanked a shitload more than I thought it possible could.

It was extremely satisfying when the banshee just straight up shoved its fist through the thunderbolt that polished off the Jagermech that carried my lights and mediums for ten hours

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Conspiratiorist posted:

LLs do almost as much damage as PPCs but are lighter, run much cooler and have an inherent +1 acc bonus.

LL: 40 damage, 30 heat, 5 tons, optimal range 300, +5% to hit. Damage is 8 per ton and 1.33 per heat.

PPC: 50 damage, 35 heat, 7 tons, optimal range 360, sensor impairment. Damage is 7.14 per ton and 1.42 per heat.

It's not that clearcut between LL and PPC at this point.*

*Assuming the spreadsheet I linked is up to date, since I don't have the game running right now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

LL heat is 18, PPC is 35

That spreadsheet is months out of date.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

And you're not taking the accuracy bonus of the laser and stability damage of the PPC into account. Although they even out to a degree.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

New cFixes and Better AI releases!

https://github.com/BattletechModders/cFixes/releases/tag/v1.4.0
cFixes is a community patch that corrects errors in the game files, even Flashpoint ones.

https://github.com/BattletechModders/BetterAI/releases/tag/v1.4.0
Better AI makes the AI much harder, allows it to reserve in addition to many other improvements.

Make sure you install cFixes before Better AI or just edit the load_order.json in the .modtek folder after running the game once and then quitting. With the way ModTek works it can't merge arrays and the last mod loaded wins. Better AI as some instructions in the release page but even if you don't care it's not going to mess up much between those two mods. The ModTek crew are adding in a load order setting we will be able define the order and make this invisible to the users.

Big change in Better AI - AI Critical Chance is set to 1 from 0.2. So in stock, the AI only gets a critical hit about 1 in 5 times as often as the player, I removed that shackle. Been playing like this since I beta and it's alright. You lose a little more stuff every once in a while it. It's not stupid punishing but just takes some getting used to, if you played PvP, it's like that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

LL heat is 18, PPC is 35

That spreadsheet is months out of date.

drat, that's annoying; it said was updated to 12/6 and has the Hatchetman / Crab / Cyclops stats.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Ran into my first game-breaking bug on my second playthrough. :mad:

On the 3 Years Later mission I completed all the objectives and returned to the "friendly" IPL mining platform, which is supposed to trigger an attack by the dopes that hired you. Problem is, that never triggers, so you just sit there. Having Steam validate the game data doesn't fix it, either.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've played 100 hours and the game CONSTANTLY throwing a second lance at me the second I engage the first lance is killing me. Enemy reinforcements needs a big change. It shouldn't be a given everytime I drop I'll have to engage more fuckers than intel suggests. Not EVERYtime. Make it a surprise, a sudden wrench in the works that makes me have to consider bouncing or running.

Or maybe the evac spots should be moved closer to the starting area? The game acts like evacing and bailing after completing the mission objectives is a possibility but it rarely is. Usually its on the other side of the second lance and what am I going to do, just expose my back and let them rip me to shreds? I think I've managed to evac in the zone without killing everyone like . . . once, when I had three lights and a medium. Hit a convoy and ran from their defensive lance (who got hung up on terrain). That was dope. That felt cool.

Although, one way I've been managing it is that I've learned on some maps the second lance only spawns once you move deep enough into the map. I remember using sensor locks and LRMs to draw out the first lance, smoke them all, and then pop the second crew. Felt real tense everytime I inched forward, knowing I was getting closer to an invisible "gently caress you" line.

I love this game but christ would it be better if they figured this aspect of it out. My favorite fights have been the lance on lance fights, I want that, I don't want to game the AI.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I agree that reinforcements would be more interesting as an occasional holy gently caress rather than just going in with the assumption you're going to be fighting at least eight mechs/tanks. I suppose they do it that way since the AI isn't able to put up as much of a fight so they compensate with numbers.

Withdrawal is weird too, I've had a few times where it hit me with bad faith withdrawal that made no sense. One where I killed the assassination target then bounced, another when I killed 3/4 of the target lance before running. I thought you were supposed to get a good faith if you achieved any part of the mission objectives before escaping.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I think the biggest problem with the constant reinforcement system is that it encourages static gameplay. Glass cannon mech are completely unviable when over-armoring mechs is required to make it through 50% of missions without significant casualties. It would be a vast improvement to lower the rate at which reinforcements appear to 20% or less and just make the first lance/target tougher when there are no reinforcements coming.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
"Heads up! We've got signs of reinforcements heading your way. Expect them in X turns!" Once in a while where X is enough to get your mission done if you're aggressive would go a long ways towards making the reinforcement bullshit less annoying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quit missing your called shots and coring the rare mechs out you stupid assholes I gave you all called shot mastery for a reason

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The AI fields glass muskets that can't reserve, so tonnage advantage is all they really have going for them.

While I agree that reinforcement scripting needs a serious look at (and no, it hardly happen every time), as things stand, 8+ on 4 is the only time the game can get close to challenging.

Adding something like Amech's tweaked AI plus a general overhaul of stock loadouts needs to be part of any mission logic revamp.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Adding something like Amech's tweaked AI plus a general overhaul of stock loadouts needs to be part of any mission logic revamp.

Changing the actual stock loadouts would make all of the hoary grognards implode with meaningless rage so agreed

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RabidWeasel posted:

Changing the actual stock loadouts would make all of the hoary grognards implode with meaningless rage so agreed

I'm sticking to the context of the PC game and what would make it better, but yes that's another plus.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Plek posted:

"Heads up! We've got signs of reinforcements heading your way. Expect them in X turns!" Once in a while where X is enough to get your mission done if you're aggressive would go a long ways towards making the reinforcement bullshit less annoying.

That would be really sweet.

My third mission once I got my free Highlander was against 3 heavies and an assault. The turn I discovered them 3 assaults and a heavy spawned right next to them. It's making me not really look forward to wrapping up the rest of the campaign if it's going to keep escalating to the point of fighting 8 assaults on every single mission.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^ The mission that made me quit the game for good was 7 assaults, a heavy and four heavy vehicles spamming Sensor Lock, all within an 8-tile radius

Yeah, bullshit reinforcements are the main factor that keeps me from reinstalling, it just sucked all the joy out of the game for me at launch. I was actually just checking the thread to see if they'd fixed it :(

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 9, 2019

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
If something looks too hard I just withdraw from the mission. Don't get me wrong it's fun to try and when you win it's glorious but sometimes it's just not worth losing your +++ weapons. The worst version of that mission is when you're on a tiny map and they spawn right in front of you. On medium or larger maps you can start a tactical withdrawal taking mechs out while you back up and if the odds start turn around I'll go back on the offensive

It also helps when you can called shot the ct and pop a mech from full if they are not in cover. Even if you can't a follow up attack usually finishes them off

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Conspiratiorist posted:

They've changed some of the weapons (in good ways ... LL and AC5 changes from CBT are perfect), so I could see them doing this too.

On the other hand, they could just have the AI field "custom" configs whenever you fight against elite house units, other mercs or pirate units. You could keep them close to stock still make big improvements with small changes (e.g. move the TDR's ammo anywhere else). They already do this in a few of the flashpoints.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Changing the actual stock loadouts would make me implode with meaningless rage. But I'd accept moving CT ammo out and suggested such since beta. I also think making 4v4 harder by allowing full customs and improved AI :wink: is the way to go. Writing it as elite Mercs and house units fits perfectly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want a 100 ton mech that's just srm ammo and engines that kills itself to win

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I want a 100 ton mech that's just srm ammo and engines that kills itself to win

AS7-D

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wrr posted:

I've played 100 hours and the game CONSTANTLY throwing a second lance at me the second I engage the first lance is killing me.

it reminds me of XCOM's unfun and goofy rule that you should not ever do anything that even vaguely resembles scouting because enemies are in harmless stasis until you scout them out

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Amechwarrior posted:

Changing the actual stock loadouts would make me implode with meaningless rage. But I'd accept moving CT ammo out and suggested such since beta. I also think making 4v4 harder by allowing full customs and improved AI :wink: is the way to go. Writing it as elite Mercs and house units fits perfectly.

If they added engine and gyro crits wouldn't thst make CT ammo less dangerous?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Cease to Hope posted:

it reminds me of XCOM's unfun and goofy rule that you should not ever do anything that even vaguely resembles scouting because enemies are in harmless stasis until you scout them out

:same: I think this is part of the reason why carrying Dekker all the way to the end of the campaign is an achievement. He's in a squishy Spider at the beginning, his Pilot skill is high to start with, so the tendency is to slot him in Light 'Mechs, right? :commissar:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What the gently caress am I supposed to do with the Zeus?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Artificer posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with the Zeus?

Sell it for cash, it's pretty bad.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Pattonesque posted:

Sell it for cash, it's pretty bad.

MWOing the Banshee and stripping the armor off the arms and shoving MLas and MGs onto it made it a pretty decent charger mech.

There's nothing I can find for the Zeus. I put together a +stab damage PPC and gauss rifle build but it...just feels really anemic.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If they added engine and gyro crits wouldn't thst make CT ammo less dangerous?

Yes, but only because you'd die to Engine and Gyro hits just as fast. Each missile rolls for crits, so either 2 Gyro or 3 Engine hits is trivial now. The same kind of tactics used to pop the ammo would be applied and you still have the chance of just hitting the ammo.

Maybe if they made it like Head Injuries, where you could only take a maximum of 1 Engine/Gyro hit per salvo, that might do it. However, now every single 'Mech is a CT bomb, but 1 round slower. I think that would only make it worse and we'd be doing that to every unit once we have top chassis and don't care about salvaging mundane units.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 10, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And even in the TT—which is crit city—storing ammo in your CT is still a deathwish.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

That never really bothered me as much as it bothered other people. I also played way too many hours of both XCOM games and just sorta saw that as a part of the challenge. Like trying to only pop one pod at a time and god help you if you pop another while dealing with that ONE. Since the game is built around managing what pieces are on the board and capable of threatening your dudes, you can get through missions without losing anything at all. Get through them clean. Battletech is built to grind your guys down and that is fun and cool, but its so frustrating feeling like I've already lost because I took too much damage from the first lance and I know that a second one is going to show up at anytime.

Case in point: last night I had a capture the base mission, two skull difficulty. Initial lance I was up against was two lights, a heavy, and an assault. I had four mediums. I bottlenecked them pretty well and with good tactics dealt with them all one on one and felt real good for getting all my mechs out of that alive, although I did decided to eject one pilot whose blackjack was more or less one alpha away from being cored. Once I got to the capture point it spawned a lance of two fire starters, a griffon, and a shadow hawk. They, of course, absolutely wrecked my poo poo. Firestarters did an excellent job of shutting down all my mechs (it was a desert map too). So, kudos to them.

It really loving sucked, that mission would've been rad as hell if there wasn't the second lance. I had a couple later missions verses a single lance of stronger mechs and that was fun, real glad the game doesn't throw reinforcements into the Stubborn Surrender missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Both XCOM games also had stealth options for scouting and expanded on those options in both sets of expansions so they a) knew it was an issue and b) tried to correct for it. I don't hate it, but the pod mechanic forces you into a 'never explore new territory on the last move' dynamic which pushes you into a certain kind of play to avoid inescapable deaths. Likewise, Battletech has the problem that Evasion will always be worthless as long as you are capped at fewer stacks of it than there are Mechs likely shooting at you from mid game. There are ways to keep your high pilot skill light mech alive, but you are forced into a very particular and cautious kind of play.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 10, 2019