Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Died because the loving elves would rather walk away than fight the horde of mad max rejects storming the gates. My colony needs to invest in the higher-tier armors that Rimsenal provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I haven't touched the rimsenal stuff because of the anime as hell icons, are they worth looking into?

Also I've gotten into caravaning with giddyup and looking for some animals(any mod) that would be good mounts and attack animals, grabbed some velociraptor eggs from a trader because well, loving velociraptors, before remembering they're the size of a loving turkey :v: Oh well, I'm sure they'll be a force to be reckoned with after I stuff them full of cybernetics.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I haven't touched the rimsenal stuff because of the anime as hell icons, are they worth looking into?

Also I've gotten into caravaning with giddyup and looking for some animals(any mod) that would be good mounts and attack animals, grabbed some velociraptor eggs from a trader because well, loving velociraptors, before remembering they're the size of a loving turkey :v: Oh well, I'm sure they'll be a force to be reckoned with after I stuff them full of cybernetics.

All of the weapons and armor have clearly designed niches, which is more than I can say for most weapons and armor packs. I do recommend the faction addons though, since some of the niches can be a bit overpowering. Jotun armor is slow and expensive, but the way armor works in Rimworld it really can't be beaten as a catch-all. Without something equally nasty to pressure you, it can feel a bit OP. Enhanced Vanilla is a good entry piece if you're not willing to commit on Federation and Ferals. EV has my favorite workhorse gun, the frontier rifle, as well as the modern-but-better smart weapons. The anime begins and ends with the workshop icons.

That instinct will serve you well if you decide to get into aliens though. If you want animal hybrid aliens, go with beastmen tribes. It's the least furry.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I remember having a mod way back that added tools that helps various things(pickaxes, sickles, axes, etc), but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 7, 2019

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nalesh posted:

If you’ve got Dinosauria mod, then Utahraptors, Gallimimus (plus as is herbivore), and Gigantoraptor are my go to quick dino mounts. You could even get an Allosaurus or two. I like stegosaurus and triceratops as pack animals (there’s an expanded pack animals mod that adds more dinosaur pack animal capability). Having a brontosaurus as a pack animal is awesome, and they’re great as a door jam vs bugs.

Remember though that the herbivores can forage a lot while traveling (terrain specific) but that you need to bring food for the carnivores.

Along with Dinosaurian I do Megafauna mod. There are a number of interesting mounts in that one.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

So my prison is attached to my barn, dude breaks out, punches a chicken for some unknown reason and just gets mobbed by like 50 chickens, I love this game sometimes.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Are chickens just naturally aggressive? Because I tried using bear zones since I had like five of them self tame and they would flee instead when shot at.

Also I think I have some mod quirks happening because I bought a couple mechabears and they're reproducing like crazy (instant adulthood) despite their description saying they don't reproduce.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

So my prison is attached to my barn, dude breaks out, punches a chicken for some unknown reason and just gets mobbed by like 50 chickens, I love this game sometimes.

Yeah, my chickens never displayed this behavior. They just died.

Admittedly, an ogre launching a rocket in the chicken coop is a very good reason for hundreds of chickens to suddenly die, but this colony doesn't need that kind of negative attitude.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I usually keep my chickens except for a breeding pair outside of the walls early game to buy time. It does create extra work for egg collection but..

I mean, you can still eat them after the raid.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RNG Satan: A revolver bullet somehow misses the walls, and three pawns in front of Mar to blow a hole straight through her brain. :xcom:

Kicker: Shooter was a brawler with a shooting score of 6.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Always wear your helmet.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

boar guy posted:

after 820 hours in the vanilla game, the only mod i wish for is one that automates the first 10 minutes

Try starting with the Crashlanding mod. Those first 10 minutes are extremely lit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vengarr posted:

Try starting with the Crashlanding mod. Those first 10 minutes are extremely lit.

Literally.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

jokes posted:

Literally.

Here to third this one. Lit is an accurate term to describe Crashlanding.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730384702

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, my chickens never displayed this behavior. They just died.

they have to trigger the revenge thing.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm such a dumbass I built an awesome kitchen and forgot to link my new benches so they all had orders. Been that way for a few weeks in-game time

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Always wear your helmet.

It doesn't always help. My best shooter and crafter in the colony got accidentally headshot during a skirmish with pirates. She wore an advanced helmet, so instead of a dead pawn I got a pawn who can barely move, fails pretty much every task and passes out when she smokes a joint. She still eats as much as any other colonists though!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gantolandon posted:

It doesn't always help. My best shooter and crafter in the colony got accidentally headshot during a skirmish with pirates. She wore an advanced helmet, so instead of a dead pawn I got a pawn who can barely move, fails pretty much every task and passes out when she smokes a joint. She still eats as much as any other colonists though!

Sounds like a job for healer mech serum!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I put in a mod (forget the name) that is upgraded prosthetics and it kinda breaks the game a little bit. 205% speed for most of my pawns and my melee dudes are rocking upgraded Power Arms that are like 33+DPS (good plasteel swords are like 15?). These guys are brutal and tee off against Scythers.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You could leave the roof off, you don't need one.

People might attack them but generally not that often if you wall them off. You don't need to access them nomally so just double or triple wall them in and put two or three doors on, then if someone really wants to get in, congrats, they're not joining the main raid on your base.
Might want to leave a one-tile gap between the plant itself and the wall just in case a stray lightning strike or zzzt event makes it catch fire, so your pawns can access all the sides to put it out. But that's kind of a rare case and either way, yeah, I've never seen raids really care about isolated geoplant forts like that. I think they only really want to destroy stuff that's in plain sight so they prefer to beeline for your base proper in most case.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

I put in a mod (forget the name) that is upgraded prosthetics and it kinda breaks the game a little bit. 205% speed for most of my pawns and my melee dudes are rocking upgraded Power Arms that are like 33+DPS (good plasteel swords are like 15?). These guys are brutal and tee off against Scythers.

One thing I've learned about modding is that, if you question balance, there's usually something out there that can help. Something that cranks up difficulty of raids, or adds more variety to them. That said, Rimworld is a little like XCOM, where the beginning is brutal, the midgame is hard, but then you research Titan armor and Plasma weapons and start steamrolling the aliens. The Power Arm from EPOE is kinda like that. If you're at the point where you can reliably make them, you've reached the XCOM Endgame.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Also in something like modded Rimworld, balance is kind of a personal choice. There are so many parts to it that what one person considers an important challenge is a tedious roadblock for someone else. If you're mostly concerned with efficiency and resource management, you may consider super-hard raiders an annoyance, but if you're mostly about fending off and invading bandits you may consider it useful to make cleaning or mood management easier.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

starting a new colony... it's so smol....there can't be anything dangerous inside right? just plunder? :ohdear:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

smarxist posted:

starting a new colony... it's so smol....there can't be anything dangerous inside right? just plunder? :ohdear:

Put another wall around it, just in case.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Warmachine posted:

One thing I've learned about modding is that, if you question balance, there's usually something out there that can help. Something that cranks up difficulty of raids, or adds more variety to them. That said, Rimworld is a little like XCOM, where the beginning is brutal, the midgame is hard, but then you research Titan armor and Plasma weapons and start steamrolling the aliens. The Power Arm from EPOE is kinda like that. If you're at the point where you can reliably make them, you've reached the XCOM Endgame.

It's cool. I don't play Rimworld on a hard difficulty cause I just like the chill Barbie's Apocalytpic Fort/Drug farm aspect of it. There's enough fights for me to keep it interesting.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

smarxist posted:

You could easily cram a centipede and a casket in there with some luciferium.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Scythers. Just nine of them jammed in there like sardines.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Five Scythers all Voltron'd together and waiting for centuries to guard a shoddily made insanity lance

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Scythers. Just nine of them jammed in there like sardines.

Made extra mad because "Cramped Interior"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A bose einsteinian condensate of insects.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWT5JMl3ns

Basically here's what I'm thinking.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

A bose einsteinian condensate of insects.

That was my stockpile room last night.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Rimsenal is good with the factions. Im a fan of the federation, which has Star Trek asthetics and conditioned from childhood suicide bombers.

Also I held off way too long on dubs, that mod is fantastic.

Only downside is I had an item stash that had a mortor and a pirate manning it as the danger, but it was some insane rimsenal plasma launcher and it instantly killed the caravan as it spawned into the encounter.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What was in the box today?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The devastator launcher? It's pretty hardcore. Rushing it with my tribal guys was risky, but worth it.

We took a pair of batteries and a solar panel home as well, and now we is the gods.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

McGiggins posted:

The devastator launcher? It's pretty hardcore. Rushing it with my tribal guys was risky, but worth it.

We took a pair of batteries and a solar panel home as well, and now we is the gods.

[laughs in hostile mechanoid]

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Been waiting for full release to get the game.

Is there anything I can watch/read as a noob primer of sorts? Basic things that would be good to know?

EDIT: Also any must have mods?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 9, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Any of you have experience with wildpawn taming? I had one self tame and it looks pretty good statwise, 75% slash and blunt resist.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've never tamed one. They would be cool if you tame them easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Been waiting for full release to get the game.

Is there anything I can watch/read as a noob primer of sorts? Basic things that would be good to know?

EDIT: Also any must have mods?

Play completely vanilla for your first few play throughs. There are so, so many mods and every one has individual tastes/what they want to get out of the game. There are some who are 700+ hours in and are still playing vanilla. There are some who have 200-300 mods that have created a significantly different game who have 700+ hours.

Check mid of page 623 (last page) for some mod discussion.

I did a basic primer, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&userid=172019&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post490852627