Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I actually liked Steve Terreberry's video from a year or so ago called "What if Dragonforce played for ...?". Everything else of his is poo poo though.

Was that before all his videos started with him promoting some unrelated product?
Like, they of course have the "usual" youtube ads before, after and in between, and also some stupid, but related, product placement where he'll tell you about the gear he's been receiving payment to talk about. But lately a few minutes of the beginning of THE VIDEO ITSELF is Steve T talking about the latest sponsor that has the amazingest product ever!!!! and it's often something completely unrelated like a mobile tower defense game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I guess so. There wasn't any shilling, but then again I haven't seen any of his other videos in a very long time

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Honestly when I get my YouTube channel going if I ever have the chance to make cash via shilling a dumb app I’m gonna roll in that motherfuckin’ pape sry not sry

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I usually dont mind so long as it keeps them from having to sit at a desk job all day telling people to reboot their computers.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
The Mongolian folk rock thing that The HU are doing is interesting musically, but I'm really being put off by the swastika inlays on the neck of that one instrument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE&t=99s

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Actuary X posted:

The Mongolian folk rock thing that The HU are doing is interesting musically, but I'm really being put off by the swastika inlays on the neck of that one instrument

:catstare:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I know it’s probably a joke but the nazis used the extremely old symbol of the swastika which is actually a beautiful symbol with great meanings and afaik mongolia used it quite a bit

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://youtu.be/PTcNCOtX6uQ?t=1135

ohhh poo poo! A flying Swastika!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know it’s probably a joke but the nazis used the extremely old symbol of the swastika which is actually a beautiful symbol with great meanings and afaik mongolia used it quite a bit

Not just Mongolia, all over Asia it's a common Buddhist symbol, even being used as the symbol for a temple on Google Maps. There was actually a bit of controversy a while back when a bug in Google maps replaced the hotel symbol with the temple symbol.

The only reason Western Buddhists don't use it is because the negative connotations of the swastika with the Nazis are so bad. Of course, the Nazi swastika is slightly different to the Buddhist one, but lots of people aren't aware of that.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Kilometers Davis posted:

Honestly when I get my YouTube channel going if I ever have the chance to make cash via shilling a dumb app I’m gonna roll in that motherfuckin’ pape sry not sry

Sure, everyone does it, but not as blatant as him. if you were to give him a hundred bucks to promote ribbed dildos he will devote five minutes of his next djent video going on about "Before we go on with the video, let me tell you: these are so great! I actually have two of them up my rear end right now! And I also love the taste of this vinyl and could suck it every day! I'm expanding my dick hole just to fit another one in me!"

Other youtube guitar guys like Rob Scallon and Jared Dines also have some lame joke faces and do endorsements and product placement, but none of them are even close to the shilling Terreberry does.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kilometers Davis posted:

They ruined rotational symmetry. :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

prefect posted:

They ruined rotational symmetry. :(

so did the irish

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kjetting posted:

Sure, everyone does it, but not as blatant as him. if you were to give him a hundred bucks to promote ribbed dildos he will devote five minutes of his next djent video going on about "Before we go on with the video, let me tell you: these are so great! I actually have two of them up my rear end right now! And I also love the taste of this vinyl and could suck it every day! I'm expanding my dick hole just to fit another one in me!"

Other youtube guitar guys like Rob Scallon and Jared Dines also have some lame joke faces and do endorsements and product placement, but none of them are even close to the shilling Terreberry does.

I read this too early in the morning and thought you were talking about Terreberry promoting swastikas and my loving brain was two seconds from melting out of my butthole.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was trying to remember if the big muff pedal got it's name from anything other than a sex joke so I did some research

http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history.html

quote:

π SYMBOL - Electro-Harmonix has a history of unique and wacky names and graphics for some of their early pedals. Using slang and slightly colloquial terms, they came up with such names as the Hog's Foot, Screaming Tree, Soul Preacher, Hare-Lip, Black Finger, Bad Stone, Chill Switch, Switchblade, Electric Mistress, and Hot Foot, among others. The meaning behind many of these names, or lack of meaning, may be somewhat baffling to people who are not from, or are not familiar with American English. The Black Finger, for example, was a slang drug term in the 1970s referring to the color of a person's finger after scraping the black tar from a cannabis pipe bowl, then rolling it into a ball in order to smoke it. The EHX Black Finger name was more likely a reference to the fingers of Jimi Hendrix, as EHX advertised this pedal would give you the Hendrix "Lady" sound. Bad Stone does not necessarily mean anything, but the two words sound cool together as the name for a phaser effect pedal. Then there were some of the more crude names like English Muff'n, Tube Zipper, Bass Balls, Muff Fuzz and Big Muff. Muff Fuzz may have stemmed from Mike Matthews "muffled fuzz" tone description of the sound, but 'muff', 'fuzz', and 'muffin' are also crude American slang terms for a woman's vagina. The associations were definitely intentional and meant to appeal to the male Rock and Roll guitarist. 'Big Muff' slang simply meant 'large vagina'. The slang was even carried forward when clones of the Big Muff were made with such slang names as Swollen Pickle and Large Beaver. Then there is the use of the π symbol on the Big Muff. Many people from outside the USA have emailed asking me to explain the significance of the symbol. Enough people are genuinely baffled by it that I feel it is necessary to explain, however crude it may be.

The π symbol is the lower case sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet. In 1737 it was adopted as the standard symbol for the irrational mathematical constant pi, which is the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle, roughly 3:1 (more approximately equal to 3.14159). It is also the first letter of the Greek word for perimeter, as in circumference. Use of the ratio can be traced back to the ancient Egyptians, Mesopotamians and Chinese. It is even used in the The Hebrew Bible (I Kings 7, 23, II Chronicles 4, 2). π has fascinated mathematicians throughout history as it cannot be represented as a simple fraction, its decimal representation has an infinite number of digits, and does not end with a repeating pattern of digits. You can actually convert the digits of the pi sequence into musical notes in numerical sequence, and it is a strangely non-repeating melody that seems to go on for infinity. Was the use of π some high-brow reference to this irrational mathematical constant? Was it a reference to the seemingly infinite way the values of the circuit components can be changed, yet still sound like a Big Muff. Or possibly some deeper meaning? Well, no. π is represented by the Latin word Pi, which is pronounced like 'pie' in English, as in cherry pie. The word pie is simply another crude American slang term for, you guessed it, a woman's vagina. Hey, this was rock and roll, it was the 1970's, and that is what guys in rock bands were into. Electro-Harmonix was not afraid to boldly market to their target consumer.

And, I guess not. The article of the history of EH was well written until this goofy part.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I read this too early in the morning and thought you were talking about Terreberry promoting swastikas and my loving brain was two seconds from melting out of my butthole.

well i mean if swastikacorp paid him enough...

Spanish Manlove posted:

I was trying to remember if the big muff pedal got it's name from anything other than a sex joke so I did some research

And, I guess not. The article of the history of EH was well written until this goofy part.

i can't believe i never put two and two together with the pi symbol=hair pie thing

fuckin keyser soze of pedal design over here

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 9, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

well i mean if swastikacorp paid him enough...

A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks

Spanish Manlove posted:

This owns though tbh

I wish I had more interest in EHX pedals. I love their weirdness.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I honestly never made the connection either, I thought it was just a cute way to name the third iteration of something.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This looks like someone wanted to paint a silverburst but also wanted to finish work by 3pm.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Don't have your highlight color point to a pickup, if they had run the silver up near the selector switch it would be half saved.

Oh, Fender has bought Bigsby, btw.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

didn't they already kinda indirectly own it via gretsch

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

didn't they already kinda indirectly own it via gretsch

Guess it's direct now? The press release sure sounds like it builds out of their already cuddly relationship.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/28350-fender-acquires-bigsby

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Also also, Alan R Pearlman died.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jonny Nox posted:

Don't have your highlight color point to a pickup, if they had run the silver up near the selector switch it would be half saved.

Gotta disagree with this, at least with Les Pauls.

I've never liked these:

But I've always loved these:

edit: maybe with a silverburst it would look good, but normally bursts look better in the standard teardrop shape.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 9, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

Also also, Alan R Pearlman died.

rip arp

massive spider posted:

This looks like someone wanted to paint a silverburst but also wanted to finish work by 3pm.

tbf that's what the original silverburst pattern looked like

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 10, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ARP is the king. RIP to the ARP man.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

yeah ARP is loving important:

ARP 2500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEPSruBdSqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2JL0xABlrQ

ARP Odyssey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI

couldn't find video, but R2 loving D2 is an ARP 2600

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

massive spider posted:

This looks awesome to me :shrug:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Off those ARP links I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIRQQjVYQ78

Which had a really cool pinned comment:

That has gotta make you all :boom:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Fun fact, the original terminator theme is in 13/16 because the initial drum loop was sampled weird and in one take.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

massive spider posted:

This teardrop-style sunburst always reminds me of poverty

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

massive spider posted:

Eh, it's fine. Plus, despite looking like a Les Pauls that went on a diet, Eclipses on average seem better put-together than a ton of similarly Gibsons, to be honest.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Not just Mongolia, all over Asia it's a common Buddhist symbol, even being used as the symbol for a temple on Google Maps. There was actually a bit of controversy a while back when a bug in Google maps replaced the hotel symbol with the temple symbol.

The only reason Western Buddhists don't use it is because the negative connotations of the swastika with the Nazis are so bad. Of course, the Nazi swastika is slightly different to the Buddhist one, but lots of people aren't aware of that.

Yeah, it's the "manji" character in Japanese which is derived from the Chinese "wan." One of the dungeons in the first Legend of Zelda is the "manji dungeon" and is shaped like a swastika.

massive spider posted:

Fun fact, the original terminator theme is in 13/16 because the initial drum loop was sampled weird and in one take.

Another fun fact, Brad Fiedel stopped doing scores in the mid 90s and operates a surf resort in Mexico, like some sort of Andy Dufrense. Pretty dope.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The worst part about LTD is that poo poo garbage logo they have to punish the poors.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
The higher end LTD stuff is getting ridiculously good though, I’ve got a 1000 series eclipse and it’s easily as well constructed as a full bird ESP or E-II or whatever they’re calling them these days. Their branding is a nightmare though.

Edit: buy an evertune it’ll change your life

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Supposedly the SVK les paul I bought for like $400 a few years ago was made in one of ESP's China-based factories and it's incredibly good, especially for $400

Unfortunately it also looks too much like a 60s Les Paul so they got strong-armed into stopping by Gibson, eat poo poo Henry J

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

The worst part about LTD is that poo poo garbage logo they have to punish the poors.

they got an even dumber one on their newish stripped-down blacked out line

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

they got an even dumber one on their newish stripped-down blacked out line

Oh no that’s a physical raised logo isn’t it........

I don’t even dislike the standard ltd logo but lol that

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I could've sworn they used to have an even worse LTD logo but I can't find any pictures of it. Could be I was thinking of the wiggly ESP logo that briefly replaced the badass stencil one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh no that’s a physical raised logo isn’t it........

I don’t even dislike the standard ltd logo but lol that

it looks like the mid-level trim badge from a kia sportage