Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

Pour a brew on the Dwarf King’s Skull.

anakha posted:

Loot the gently caress out of that tomb.
So, no beer, yes hammer.

The Fall of Blood Mountain posted:

You examine the lid of the tomb and find that it is cemented firmly into position by centuries of grime. In order for you to lift the lid, you will first have to break through these layers of encrusted sediment.

You speak the words of the Brotherhood Spell Strength and as it begins to take effect, you feel an invigorating surge of power flowing through every muscle of your body. Electrified by this energy, you take hold of the tomb’s lid and force it aside. There is a loud Crack! as the seal of grime is broken; then a flood of golden light washes over you when you swing the lid aside and tip it over onto the floor.

With a growing sense of awe, you take hold of the golden warhammer and raise it aloft. You admire its finely-crafted lines and perfect balance, and you sense that it was forged by magical fires.

If you wish to keep the Andarin Warhammer, record it on your Action Chart as a Special Item. In combat against any enemy it will give you a bonus of +5 to your COMBAT SKILL. You may use this magical warhammer as an alternative to your Kai Weapon.

Automatically took Andarin Warhammer.

Prompted by curiosity, you leave Andarin’s tomb and go to look at the alcoves which encircle the walls of this chamber. Only a few urns remain wholly intact within the arched recesses, and each of these is engraved with the likeness of the Drodarin lord whose ashes they contain. Your eye is drawn to one in particular—the cinerary urn of War-thane Svann. Yet it is not the urn itself that captures your interest; it is the small bronze lever concealed behind it.

Carefully you remove Svann’s urn and examine the lever. Immediately your Kai senses inform you that it operates a secret panel in the wall.
Shall we cast Sense Evil or pull the lever?

I don't get the point of the Andarin Warhammer. It's the exact same bonus as any Kai weapon but without the special ability. And you can't lose your Kai Weapon. I guess if, for some reason, you chose Weaponmastery with warhammers instead of with whatever weapon type your Kai weapon is then it would be better, but no one would do that because there is absolutely no reason to ever do that. If it had appeared in one of Lone Wolf's adventures it would be useful to anyone who missed book two or lost the Sommerswerd along the way, but it's completely without value in the New Order series. Every time I remember it exists I just go over and over the same points in my mind. Like, what was Dever thinking? Why did he put this here? It makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
An option to use one of our abilities? Cast Sense Evil. I mean, why would we not? Because we might take damage from the horrible experience of sensing the presence of evil creatures?

I mean, Dever would totally do that, but in that case I say cast it anyway so we can point and laugh.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

An option to use one of our abilities? Cast Sense Evil. I mean, why would we not? Because we might take damage from the horrible experience of sensing the presence of evil creatures?

I mean, Dever would totally do that, but in that case I say cast it anyway so we can point and laugh.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Just pull the lever. What Evil could there possibly be in an ancient Dwarf tomb? Other than the Demon invasion we already are in the process of dealing with.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

I don't get the point of the Andarin Warhammer. It's the exact same bonus as any Kai weapon but without the special ability. And you can't lose your Kai Weapon. I guess if, for some reason, you chose Weaponmastery with warhammers instead of with whatever weapon type your Kai weapon is then it would be better, but no one would do that because there is absolutely no reason to ever do that. If it had appeared in one of Lone Wolf's adventures it would be useful to anyone who missed book two or lost the Sommerswerd along the way, but it's completely without value in the New Order series. Every time I remember it exists I just go over and over the same points in my mind. Like, what was Dever thinking? Why did he put this here? It makes no sense.

Let's dual-wield it and get double the bonus! :black101: :redhammer:

And sure, give our Force sensitivity a workout.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

sure, give our Force sensitivity a workout.

Also

That's some real bad CG work there Dever.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Pull the lever, Brave!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

And sure, give our Force sensitivity a workout.

Prompted by the warnings of your Kai Sixth Sense, you speak the words of the Brotherhood Spell Sense Evil and focus your powers upon the lever, the alcove, and its surrounding wall. You detect that there is indeed a concentration of evil nearby, but suddenly you realize that it is nowhere near the alcove wall. The evil is in the passageway leading to the door of the chamber … and it is approaching fast!
Do we pull the lever or attempt to bolt the door shut?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Let’s try to bolt the door shut.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mikl posted:

Pull the lever, Brave!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Pull the lever fast!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

(pull the lever!)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Let’s try to bolt the door shut.

Didn't work in Moria. Pull the lever!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Decoy Badger posted:

(pull the lever!)

... I swear I've seen this image before. What's it from?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
In for an inch, in for a mile...
Pull the Lever!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Pull the Lever!

The lever clicks down and a secret panel in the wall slides open to reveal a narrow passage. As you are peering along this gloomy tunnel, suddenly the heavy chamber door bursts open and slams against the wall.

An icy trickle of fear runs down your back when you turn to look upon the squat creature that is now framed in the doorway. It has a bloated, veined body and waxy skin that is as pale as a frozen corpse. From its fanged mouth there flickers a forked tongue, and its scarlet eye-slits radiate an evil light that chills you to the bone. It advances into the chamber with its arms outstretched, as if it is walking in its sleep. Then it turns and points its arms at you, and its clenched fists begin to glow like two balls of red-hot plasma.

You take hold of the stonework that frames the secret panel and pull yourself towards the narrow passageway. You are only halfway through the opening when two orbs of living flame leap from the creature’s glowing fists and come arcing towards your spine.

We roll: 7 + 2 (G. Huntmastery) = 9.

The speeding fireballs explode harmlessly in the entrance as you make good your escape along this cobwebbed passage. In the distance, you glimpse the opening to a chamber that is crowded with objects that glitter enticingly in the half-light. When you magnify your vision, you realize with some amazement that you are running towards a secret Drodarin treasure vault.

The sound of falling masonry alerts you to a renewed danger: the creature is attempting to pursue you. Chunks of crumbling plaster are being dislodged from the walls as the creature forces its bloated body along the narrow passageway.

Your Grand Pathsmanship warns you that you are running towards a deadly trap. One of the dusty stone slabs which pave this narrow passageway is set to trigger the trap when a weight is placed upon it. Your Kai Sixth Sense helps you to identify the slab, and as you get nearer, you increase your speed in preparation to jump over it.

We roll: 3 + 2 (G. Huntmastery) = 5.

You clear the slab, and as you race towards the treasure vault, the passageway is filled with the terrible roar of a fireball. The instant you pass through the vault’s archway, you dodge to one side and cover your head with your hands. This timely action saves you from being scorched by the searing heat of the missile as it whooshes past and explodes among the treasures stored in this chamber.

As the fire dies out, you hear another sound—the dull clunk! of a trap being activated. You glance back into the passageway and see that your pursuer has stepped on a weighted floor slab, triggering a volley of deadly arrows. Unable to turn in the narrow confines of the passage, it is skewered by more than a dozen of these bone-tipped shafts. With a hellish shriek, the creature’s corpulent body erupts into a great ball of flame that burns with such fierce intensity that the beast is quickly reduced to a heap of white-hot ash.

Now that the creature is no longer a threat, you turn away from the scorching heat that is radiating from its ashes, and you begin to explore this mysterious treasure chamber.

The walls of the vault are decorated with murals that glorify the Goddess Ishir. Great carved tables, heaped with dusty gems and ingots of precious metal, form a circle around a golden statue of the goddess which stands upon a crystal dais in the middle of the chamber. Resting against the dais are several ancient artefacts of special value. Three of these items in particular catch your eye:
  • Korlinium Chainmail Vest (This Special Item can be worn beneath your tunic. It adds +2 to your COMBAT SKILL.)
  • Drodarin Bag of Holding (This Backpack Item can be used to store five additional Backpack Items, although the Bag itself occupies only one space.)
  • ‘Sunderer’ (This Drodarin battle-axe is a Special Item. In combat against any enemy it will give you a bonus of +5 to your COMBAT SKILL. You may use this magical axe as an alternative to your existing Kai Weapon.)
Automatically took ALL THE TREASURE.

Carefully you examine the walls and floor and detect no other exits, other than the passage by which you entered the treasure vault. But that way is now impassable. Following its destruction, the ashes of the slain creature have become steadily hotter. A searing radiation fills the passageway, and this deadly energy forces you to abandon all hope of making an escape by that route.

You are beginning to fear that you may be trapped, until you notice that the vault’s domed ceiling is obscured by a cloud of steam. Using your Kai skills, you peer through the vapours and detect a hole at the apex of the dome through which the steam is emerging. By climbing onto the statue of Ishir and raising both arms, you are able to take hold of a metal flange encircling the hole. Confident that you have found a way out, you haul yourself up and begin climbing along a rough stone duct. This slippery conduit leads to another hole, located in the roof of a rocky cavern where steam is bubbling from the surface of a hot spring.

Gingerly you drop down to the floor of this humid cavern and take stock of your new surroundings.

Through the thick, billowing vapours you glimpse an underground river which divides the cavern in two. Its warm waters enter through a fissure in the south wall, and flow away through a natural tunnel in the west wall. You are approaching the muddy bank when suddenly a huge dark shape comes looming out of the steam. You can barely stifle a scream of terror when you find yourself staring into the venomous maw of a gigantic steamspider.

The huge arachnid makes a vile chittering sound as it moves towards you. As it gets ready to pounce, you see that its fangs are coated with a sticky black venom.

Giant Steamspider: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 45

This creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Kai-surge).
Braveheart (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 60 ENDURANCE 37
Giant Steamspider: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 45
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 9
Braveheart (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 60 ENDURANCE 36
Giant Steamspider: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 0

As you strike your killing blow, the giant steamspider rears up on its hairy legs and topples backwards into the river. For a few moments its loathsome carcass is buoyed along on the current; then slowly it sinks beneath the foaming waters and disappears from view.

You keep your axe to hand as cautiously you explore the cavern. You are wary that there may be other creatures lurking in the depths of its craggy hollows, waiting to attack. However, you soon discover that the cavern had only one occupant and it is now empty.

The only exit is the natural tunnel in the west wall through which the underground river flows away. Carefully you test the water and discover that it is hot, although not unbearably so. You resolve to try to escape from the cavern by way of this river, and before you lower yourself into its steamy water, you make sure that all of your Weapons and equipment are secure. Upon entering the river you are carried away by the swift current and swept beneath the tunnel’s low arch.

We roll: 4.

For more than a mile you ride the torrid waters of this underground river. Its swift current takes you through a series of low, dark caverns, and steeply-sloping chutes. During one of many rapid descents, your Backpack is torn and you lose one item. (Erase from your Backpack one item of your own choice.)

Soon you reach a place where the river flows into a deeper, colder channel. Where the two rivers meet, the water boils and seethes as it collides with a line of jagged, razor-edged rocks. Frantically you battle against the converging currents as you are swept inexorably nearer to this treacherous reef.

1. Which item did we lose?
  2. Shall we use Elementalism, our Strength spell, or just keep swimming?

Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  3. Shovel
  4. Pick
  5. Meal
  6. Flute
  7. Phosphor Bomb
  8. Meal
  9. Meal
  10. Drodarin Bag of Holding
  11. Candle

And another magic weapon that's the same as your Kai Weapon but not as good. Two in one book. Why?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 10, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

quote:

This is in keeping with the teachings of Kai Masters. Amen!

Lose a Meal and cast Strength.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Lose a Meal and use Elementalism. It'll be the flashier of the options, hopefully.

It's kind of funny how Dever is being careful to not hand out weapons that might be better than what you already have, but then he hands out a +2CS item to go with it, which is a pretty huge bonus all things considered. Though I guess we've done enough books now that we're pretty much always going to have a substantial edge in combat.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Lose a Meal and use Elementalism. It'll be the flashier of the options, hopefully.

Also hooray for loot!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

quote:

drat right we did!

Lose the Candle and Elementalize.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Two Axes and a Warhammer, plus a bow and any other backup weapons. We're the medieval version of the Punisher at this point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

anakha posted:

Two Axes and a Warhammer, plus a bow and any other backup weapons. We're the medieval version of the Punisher at this point.

Can't be too careful, if we go in underarmed someone might pass. But we're not really Ye Punisher until a dwarf gives us a gun that shoots swords.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Mikl posted:

... I swear I've seen this image before. What's it from?
An old Dwarf Fortress LP. I named it "pullthelever.jpg" when I drew it so found it very appropriate.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jedit posted:

Can't be too careful, if we go in underarmed someone might pass. But we're not really Ye Punisher until a dwarf gives us a gun that shoots swords.

True. Oh well, at least we still achieved peak Rambo.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

That was a very nice loot!

Lose a Meal and use Elementalism.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Lose a Meal

Decoy Badger posted:

use Elementalism

You harness the force of your elemental powers to help steer you away from the jagged granite reef. You pass within a few yards of these deadly rocks, and then the cold water currents swirl you around and wash you onto a shingle bank.

Aching and bedraggled after your punishing ordeal in the water, you crawl up the stony river bank and rest beside a mossy boulder. Unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

After surveying your new surroundings, you determine that you have arrived at the base of a deep fissure eroded by the rivers which converge near this point. Your keen eyes spot a black opening in the granite cliff-face overhanging the shingle bank, and when you go to investigate, you discover that it is the entrance to a long and winding tunnel. Growing out of the walls of this dank passage are several scarlet-capped toadstools.

You continue for several miles in complete silence and darkness until you hear a noise faintly in the distance. You stop to concentrate your aural abilities and gradually you are able to identify the distinctive, familiar sounds of battle. The clash of blades, the dull report of Bor pistols, and the dying shrieks of men and monsters can be heard seeping through the cracked walls of this tunnel.

You press on for a further mile until the tunnel tapers and comes to a dead end. A wedge of lantern-light is pouring through a wide hole near the floor, and when you peer through it, you see a wider tunnel which passes at a right angle to the one you occupy. Lying on the floor of this new passageway are the bloodstained bodies of Drodarin warriors, entwined with Shom’zaa minions and Agarashi.

You watch and listen for several minutes. When you are sure that you can detect nothing moving in the tunnel below, you remove your Backpack and push it through the hole. Then you wriggle through this narrow gap and drop down onto the body-strewn floor. You are replacing your Backpack when suddenly your Kai senses alert you to an approaching danger.

Your Kai Sixth Sense warns you that a large group of Shom’zaa Agarashi are approaching, and your Magnakai Discipline of Divination detects the presence of a creature among them who possesses magical abilities. A cursory look in the opposite direction tells you that this smooth-walled, lantern-lit passage offers very few places in which to hide. Having coolly assessed the situation, you call upon your improved mastery of Nexus to help you survive it.

You curl up on the floor and cover your head with your left arm to keep your Sommlending features hidden from view. Then you place yourself into a state of suspended animation, convincingly feigning death. Minutes later, a dozen Shom’zaa Agarashi come creeping along the tunnel. They are led by a thin creature with ebony skin and iridescent eyes. Without paying you a second glance, they pass by and disappear into the distance.

When you can no longer hear the rasping sound of their clawed feet scraping the tunnel floor, you bring yourself out of the trance and get to your feet.

Your search of the bodies that are lying in this tunnel uncovers the following items and Weapons:
  • Sword
  • Axe
  • Spear
  • Dagger
  • Enough food for 2 Meals
  • Bottle of Bor Brew
  • Copper Key
  • 3 Arrows
  • Bow
  • Quiver
If you choose to keep any of the above items, make the appropriate adjustments to your Action Chart.

Automatically took two arrows, two Meals, the Bottle of Bor Brew and the Copper Key.

You follow the tunnel to a cavern where seven other passages converge. A granite obelisk, carved with a single rune, stands in the middle of this circular chamber. You recognize the rune: it is the Drodarin symbol for ‘hub’, the centre part of a wheel. The dwarves of Bor have named this cavern ‘The Hub’, because the tunnels that meet here resemble the spokes of a gigantic wheel.

You take the Andarin Bloodstone from around your neck. Then you observe its glowing colours as you walk around the perimeter of the cavern, pointing it at each tunnel entrance in turn. When you come before the north tunnel, the colours glow brighter. You are sure you have found the way that will lead you to Prince Leomin and Prince Torfan when you discover a stone plaque fixed to the wall. Its runic symbols tell you that this broad passage leads to the Throne Chamber of Andarin.

The sounds of fighting grow louder as you explore the depths of this tunnel. Frequently you have to hide in the shadows to avoid colliding with ragged groups of wounded Agarashi retreating from battle. But at length you come to a large cavern that serves as the anteroom to the throne chamber of Andarin.

From the cover of a stone column beside the tunnel exit, you observe the deadly struggle that is taking place in this smoke-filled cavern. Scores of dead Agarashi are heaped before the entrance to the distant throne chamber. Its great double doors have been torn from their hinges, yet entry has been denied to the Shom’zaa horde. A barricade fills the open doorway, and this makeshift wall is being skilfully defended by the War-thanes of Prince Leomin and Prince Torfan.

An assault on the throne chamber is about to take place. You watch with grim fascination as the Agarashi rise up from positions they have dug around the perimeter of the cavern, and wait for their commander to shriek the order to attack. A wailing cry echoes around the cavern as the horde rushes headlong towards the barricade. They come to within a few paces of the wall before the leading ranks are obliterated by a cannon’s shell and a deafening volley of Bor pistols. There is a brief clash of swords and spears, followed by an ominous silence. From out of the smoke and carnage, the few who have survived the attack come crawling back to their trenches to lick their wounds and await the next assault.

Soon you hear the approach of enemy reinforcements, their ill-fitting armour rattling as they come running along the tunnel. You are forced to move away from the column for fear of being seen when they arrive but, as you scurry to the cover of an empty powder barrel, you are spotted by a group of Shom’zaa minions in a trench near the cavern wall. They cry out to their comrades, alerting them of your presence as they fumble to load their captured crossbows.
Do we use our Phosphor Bomb at this point or not?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hey, somebody set us up the bomb!

Better use it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Use Chekov's Phosphor Bomb

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
We need some way to signal to the defenders that we're on their side. A loud explosion sounds just the ticket. Blow up the bad guys!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

We need some way to signal to the defenders that we're on their side. A loud explosion sounds just the ticket. Blow up the bad guys!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Hey, somebody set us up the bomb!

Better use it!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Blow them to smithereens!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You snatch the Phosphor Bomb from your Backpack and hurl it into the trench. It explodes with a searing flash, peppering the Shom’zaa minions with fragments of glass and white-hot metal. The few who survive the explosion are soon lost in a cloud of blinding white smoke.

You are spotted by the reinforcements as they enter the cavern, and the leading Shom’zaa Agarashi come rushing towards you with their spears raised. To stand and fight them would be suicidal for they total more than a hundred in number; your only hope is to reach the barricade.

As you sprint across the body-strewn cavern towards the distant throne chamber, the dwarven defenders see you approaching. Some of them recognize you are a Kai by the cut and colour of your tunic, and a hearty cheer arises from the barricade. Arrows and crossbow bolts whistle past as the Shom’zaa horde attempts to prevent you from reaching the throne chamber alive. Then you hear the loud report of muskets and pistols as Drodarin marksmen give covering fire from their barricade.

We roll: 0 + 2 (G. Huntmastery) = 2.

You are within a dozen yards of the barricade when an arrow hits you in the back and pitches you forward onto your face: lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 33/43.

You scramble to your feet and climb across the corpses of the slain Shom’zaa minions that are heaped before the barricade. Strong Drodarin hands reach out and grab you by the arms, and you are hauled bodily over the tangle of barrels and planks.

‘You sure ran pretty!’ says a bearded War-thane, as he slaps you heartily on the shoulder.

‘You just lost me ten Ain,’ says another, jokingly. ‘I bet old Borin that y’wouldn’t make it!’

These battle-hardened defenders are clearly impressed by your courage, and they are not too proud to show it. But then a gruff cry from the far end of the line sends them hurrying back to their positions: ‘Here they come again!’

A grey-bearded warrior, his arm bandaged in a makeshift sling, takes hold of your sleeve and pulls you away from the barricade as the Shom’zaa Agarashi launch another assault. He ushers you into the Throne Chamber of Andarin and, as you accompany him, he tugs something from your Backpack: it is the shaft of an enemy arrow. Your pack prevented this missile from penetrating your spine. (The arrow damaged one item. Erase any item of your choosing from your list of Backpack Items.)

Upon entering the chamber, you see a huge throne of silver adorned with hundreds of precious gems. It rests upon a dais of marble and it dominates the centre of this circular hall. A halo of golden light surrounds the Throne of Andarin, and when these rays wash over your body, you feel cleansed and invigorated (restore 5 ENDURANCE points).

As you approach the fabled throne, you see many injured Drodarin warriors seated around its base. Some have suffered grievous battle-wounds, yet the goodly light of the throne is healing their torn flesh and broken bones. Your grey-bearded escort ushers you to a corner of the chamber where two warriors are engaged in a heated debate. From the colour of their armour and the royal crests of Bor emblazoned upon their surcoats, you deduce that they are King Ryvin’s missing sons: Prince Leomin and Prince Torfan.

Two princes kneel before you. They cease their argument when they see you approach. Torfan comes bounding forward, diamonds in his pockets, to greet you and offer to buy you rockets; yet his elder brother appears to know what a prince and lover ought to be. You introduce yourself to the princes and give an account of the events that have brought you to this meeting. When you show them the Sun-crystal and tell of your mission to destroy Shom’zaa, a glimmer of hope shines in Prince Leomin’s red-rimmed eyes. You sense that he has been racked with remorse since the escape of Shom’zaa and its vile minions. He longs for the chance to redeem his foolish actions, and readily he offers to help you destroy the creature and its hordes.

Endurance: 38/43.

You learn that the princes and their bodyguard of War-thanes have held the throne chamber for six days. They have no food or water, and it is only the radiant power of the throne that has sustained them. Prince Leomin knows the precise location of Shom’zaa’s lair and he will lead you to it. You agree to go with him while Prince Torfan remains here to command the defence of the throne chamber.

Leomin takes you to a stone door set flush into the curving marble wall. A grizzled old warrior sits guard at this portal, and clutched in his vein-covered hands is a glowing runestone. Your Kai senses detect that this door is sealed by an Old Kingdom Spell that has prevented Shom’zaa’s horde from gaining entry to the chamber by this way. Prince Leomin unsheathes his battle-axe and motions you to draw your Weapon before the door is opened.

‘Shom’zaa abandoned his attempt to batter down this portal two days past,’ he says. ‘But there may be some of his spawn-kind waiting in the corridor outside. Best be on our guard, Braveheart.’

Leomin nods to the old warrior and he responds by touching the runestone to the door. There is a faint tinkling sound, and then the portal slides open and you follow the prince as he steps through the opening into the darkened passageway beyond. The portal slides shut behind your back with hardly a sound. Instinctively you scan your new surroundings for signs of the enemy, and quickly discover that Leomin was right to be cautious. More than a dozen Shom’zaa Agarashi have been left here to guard the portal. Only by chance have you chosen a time to leave the chamber when these creatures are asleep.

Leomin points to the end of the wide corridor, to a place where a circular shaft descends to a lower level. A large basket, suspended by a rope and pulley, hangs above this shaft. The prince beckons you to follow as he tiptoes around the sleeping creatures and approaches the basket. You are halfway along the corridor when suddenly one of the Shom’zaa Agarashi awakens and shrieks in alarm. You respond by racing towards the distant shaft, but within a matter of seconds, all of the sleeping creatures are on their feet and rushing from all sides to block your escape. You must fight them.

Shom’zaa Agarashi: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 44

You may add 5 to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of this combat, for Prince Leomin is fighting by your side.
Braveheart (and Leomin): COMBAT SKILL 61 ENDURANCE 38
Shom’zaa Agarashi: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 44
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 3
Braveheart (and Leomin): COMBAT SKILL 61 ENDURANCE 36
Shom’zaa Agarashi: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 33

We roll: 6
Braveheart (and Leomin): COMBAT SKILL 61 ENDURANCE 35
Shom’zaa Agarashi: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 17

We roll: 3
Braveheart (and Leomin): COMBAT SKILL 61 ENDURANCE 33
Shom’zaa Agarashi: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 6

We roll: 8
Braveheart (and Leomin): COMBAT SKILL 61 ENDURANCE 33
Shom’zaa Agarashi: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 0

As the last of the Shom’zaa Agarashi falls to your deadly blows, you sheathe your Weapon and hurry to join Prince Leomin at the far end of the corridor. Together you climb into the hanging basket and he takes hold of its supporting rope. By feeding the rope slowly through the pulley, he is able to lower the basket towards the base of the shaft.

As you descend, you hear a faint buzzing sound resonating from the rock-face. Rapidly this sound becomes an angry drone when the basket draws level with a cavity in the wall. Suddenly, a swarm of large wasp-like insects pour out of this hole and encircle the basket. The lower stripy sections of their bodies begin to glow as they gather together in a cloud and hover menacingly above you.

‘Antah wasps!’ exclaims Leomin, as he frantically works the rope and drops the basket at a stomach-churning speed. The wasps give chase, but when you call upon your improved Discipline of Pathsmanship and command them to disperse, they return immediately to their nest in the wall of the shaft.

Prince Leomin is impressed and, for the first time in many days, a smile creases his sullen face. He commends your skill as he slows the rope and lowers the basket gently to the base of the shaft.

The basket lands at the base of the shaft and you see a freshly-excavated tunnel stretching away to the east. You leave the basket and, as you follow the prince, you notice that the walls of this passage are layered with a fibrous mineral that shimmers like strands of polished silver. Now you understand what tempted Leomin to defy ancient Drodarin lore and mine the lower levels of Bor, for these are strands of pure korlinium—the rarest of minerals. You feel its raw energy revitalizing you as you walk along the tunnel (restore 3 ENDURANCE points), yet you cannot help but conclude how foolish it was of Leomin to succumb to his temptation. For centuries the goodly power of this mineral has acted like the bars of a prison, keeping Shom’zaa and its horde secure.

At length you arrive at a small cavern where a section of wall has collapsed.

‘That is where the Shom’zaa horde emerged,’ says Leomin, pointing to the gaping hole. Mining tools litter the floor of this chamber, and you see a wider passage leading off to the south. It is laid with track for wagons to carry away the korlinium ore. When you magnify your vision, you see a group of Shom’zaa Agarashi at the far end of this passage.

Endurance: 36/43.
  1. Which backpack item did we lose?
  2. Shall we use Kai-alchemy here or not?

Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  3. Shovel
  4. Pick
  5. Meal
  6. Flute

7. Meal
  8. Meal
  9. Drodarin Bag of Holding (+5 Backpack Spaces)
  10. Candle
  11. Meal
  12. Bottle of Bor Brew
  13. Copper Key

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We lost a meal, and alchemise them.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mikl posted:

This.
Also:

quote:

Torfan comes bounding forward, diamonds in his pockets, to greet you and offer to buy you rockets; yet his elder brother appears to know what a prince and lover ought to be.

I'm sorry? :psyduck:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Google to the rescue!

Alchemize that meal!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Mourn my Meal; mystically murder marauding mine monsters!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mikl posted:

:2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Mikl posted: