Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Still has room for another chiplet but yeah only 8 cores at launch apparently? I say only but that's still fantastic for my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

their substrate photo clearly shows room for a second chiplet = 16 cores total

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Probably saving the 16 cores for the 4xxx generation.

eames
May 9, 2009

Icept posted:

guess they're already feeling confident enough to start the market segmentation :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13829/amd-ryzen-3rd-generation-zen-2-pcie-4-eight-core
It's working now for me.
"+15% Performance Generation on Generation, Minimum."

ok google how do i get rid of an erection at work

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Now my old 2500K rig just needs to hold together until this summer or fall. Come on old girl, you can do it! :sweatdrop:

eames
May 9, 2009

sincx posted:

There's no reason to put the chiplet weirdly off center unless they're going to have models with 2 chiplets.

yeah, you can even see the empty traces on the substrate. really weird to have the cpu chiplet — presumably the main source of heat dissipation — way off in a corner like that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

ok google how do i get rid of an erection at work

Do you have one of those single, lockable bathrooms somewhere and a mobile phone? :q:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
As previously mentioned

Icept posted:

This would be AM4+/AM5 so it wouldn't be socket compatible.

eames posted:

yeah, you can even see the empty traces on the substrate. really weird to have the cpu chiplet — presumably the main source of heat dissipation — way off in a corner like that.

Could be for the graphics die for the APUs :iiam:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

This would be AM4+/AM5 so it wouldn't be socket compatible.
Isn't AM4 forward-compatible through 2020? Or whatever that lawyered wording of the promise meant.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
DDR5 is planned for 2020, which is the line in the sand between AM4 and the new socket.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Risky Bisquick posted:

DDR5 is planned for 2020, which is the line in the sand between AM4 and the new socket.
DDR5 may not hit until 2022.

eames
May 9, 2009

Looking at the pics I'd say they could fit 3 chiplets = 24C/48T on that package if they switch the IO chip at 7nm, though I highly doubt they will.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Not gonna lie I’m am more hyped to see what the ps5 specs will look like with new AMD GPU and CPUs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did they talk Zen 2 now or not? Am at work... thread pretends no, AT article the opposite. What the gently caress?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yeah...chiplets...parity with 9900k 8c/16t unknown frequencies

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wonder if it's worth letting my 2500k limp along until summer...

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Seamonster posted:

Yeah...chiplets...parity with 9900k 8c/16t unknown frequencies

At almost half the power!

eames
May 9, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did they talk Zen 2 now or not? Am at work... thread pretends no, AT article the opposite. What the gently caress?

only a preview but yeah, showed preproduction 8C Zen 2 matching 9900k cinebench performance at ~30% lower system power. mid 2019

e: TSMC 7nm yields must be excellent since they only show the single chiplet variant as 8C

eames fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 9, 2019

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

She talked about it at the very end. Gave no speeds or prices, only a benchmark comparison a 8-core zen 2 vs a stock i9. Which the zen was just a slight bt faster while using 30% (was it 30?) less power. Everything was in that article.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

/from/ $699. also bundled with DMC5, RE2 and Div2. when was the last time a gpu flagship released with 3 new titles at once?

i thought i misheard but nope all 3

I got a similar deal with my R9, one of the free titles was star citizen lol

3peat
May 6, 2010

from anandtech, same performance as the 9900K at 40% less power

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Khorne posted:

DDR5 may not hit until 2022.

The latest I've seen was 2021, earliest would be 2020. Who is forecasting 2022?

B-Mac posted:

Not gonna lie I’m am more hyped to see what the ps5 specs will look like with new AMD GPU and CPUs.

The big gains would be switching from Jaguar to Zen cores, graphics would be a 100%+ improvement on their mid-cycle refresh consoles for Vega 7 on Navi so :iiam:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 9, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eames posted:

really weird to have the cpu chiplet — presumably the main source of heat dissipation — way off in a corner like that.

I'm thinking about this and can't make up my mind whether it'll be a real difference in practice.

the one thing I can come up with is that coolers with direct heatpipe contact may be less advantageous, because only a few of the pipes will be over the chiplet. they tend to have little gaps between pipes which would make side-to-side conduction less effective. so instead of the two middle pipes doing the bulk of the work and the side ones helping, it'll be the two side ones doing work, a middle one helping, and the far one not doing much.

if the two-chiplet thing happens, then heatsink orientation with air coolers could actually make a difference

B-Mac posted:

lol what new GPU

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe the chiplet & IO unit positioning is related to the AM4 socket layout?

It's impressive they make such dramatic changes without forcing a new motherboard on users. That's something I've always liked about AMD.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bloody Antlers posted:

It's impressive they make such dramatic changes without forcing a new motherboard on users. That's something I've always liked about AMD.
They want to do a 2 chiplet AM4 consumer CPU. Whether they will, or whether they got it to work technically, is another topic entirely.

I'm optimistic. Also, 2000+ cinebench at the power usage shown is great. For comparison, 2700x scores 1800 and the 1800x scores 1600. It's a big improvement and goes toe to toe with intel's flagship.

If they do have 2 chiplet AM4 CPUs it's going to be nuts.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 10, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
12C CPU with two chiplets with 6 functioning cores each. Probably that.

If that Zen 2 performance is at same (or lower) clocks than the 9900K, that sure would want me to upgrade my TR. Will be interesting to see how that IO die will affect memory latencies on the non-TR Ryzens.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

B-Mac posted:

Is it basically a forgone conclusion that both the Xbox and Playstation platforms will be sticking with an AMD based x86 platform with AMD graphics for the time being? Seems like a win all around, but just curious.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I think AMD (rightfully) fears high end ryzen cannibalizing low end threadripper sales if they pack too many cores in. Most consumers don't know/don't care that the better binned silicon is going into threadripper. Features like quad channel memory extra I/O is irrelevant for people who only need MOAR CORES.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is it basically a forgone conclusion that both the Xbox and Playstation platforms will be sticking with an AMD based x86 platform with AMD graphics for the time being? Seems like a win all around, but just curious.

Yeah too many reasons to stay with them, mostly relationship, price and backward/forward compatibility. Nvidia had their go with the original Xbox and they basically tried to rip Microsoft off.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Cue AdoredTV video saying “you all said it was too good to be true, so AMD decided it was also. My ‘leaks’ were correct, seriously guys!”

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The only other option would be ARM. As long as AMD is willing to license their stuff for the console makers to produce it themselves, and Intel & nvidia are not, it's gonna be AMD.

To do a console you have to have a licensed design so you can go get it produced yourself for the cheapest costs, and keep reducing those costs over the years. Buying chips on contract is putting yourself in a position to be taken advantage of.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Space Racist posted:

Cue AdoredTV video saying “you all said it was too good to be true, so AMD decided it was also. My ‘leaks’ were correct, seriously guys!”
His leaks... were correct though?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Khorne posted:

His leaks... were correct though?

CPU more or less but GPU was as far off as possible.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bloody Antlers posted:

The positioning is related to AMD being massive teases.

Seamonster posted:

I think AMD (rightfully) fears high end ryzen cannibalizing low end threadripper sales if they pack too many cores in. Most consumers don't know/don't care that the better binned silicon is going into threadripper. Features like quad channel memory extra I/O is irrelevant for people who only need MOAR CORES.

I don't really see it, those who need MOAR CORES are going to be on the threadripper platform anyways for, well, MOAR CORES and AMD gets a halo product for the mainstream platform.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

TheCoach posted:

CPU more or less but GPU was as far off as possible.

His GPU leaks were in reference to Navi which only got a small mention at the end of the presentation. They could still be accurate, just not launching until the end of the year.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arzachel posted:

The positioning is related to AMD being massive teases.

I don't really see it, those who need MOAR CORES are going to be on the threadripper platform anyways for, well, MOAR CORES and AMD gets a halo product for the mainstream platform.

That and the entire point of TR systems is to get a shitload of memory bandwidth for scientific calcs, there aren't too many things you can do that will hammer the poo poo out of the cores but leave the memory system unmolested, except for prime95 or whatever.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Klyith posted:

lol what new GPU
Yeah if anyone is expecting the PS5 before late 2020 you're clueless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This seems weird to me. I haven't owned a console since the Super Nintendo, so excuse what may be a dumb question, but...doesn't this mean that the two base systems will be fairly similar to one another? If so, the only substantive differentiations will the online ecosystems and any locked-up exclusives?