Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

all i remember about gritty is my first intro to it was the team (costumed gritty included) breaking the strike line at the Marriott, so i have a lot of antipathy to it as a symbol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whatever happened to all that chatter about regulating loot boxes anyway

It happened in the Netherlands at least and now there's a Dutch only version of lootbox games that either removes them or does stuff like showing you the exact odds and only letting you buy one box a day or something. EA decided not to change anything about FIFA ultimate team and is fighting it international court to argue the restrictions I believe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You also can't sell items on the valve marketplace in the Netherlands so it sounds like heaven

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

haveblue posted:

*halo grunt voice* WE'RE GONNA DIIIIEEEEEEEE
Exactly.

Help Im Alive posted:

I like the space pirates being terrified of Samus in the Metroid Prime logs. There's one like "terrifying as it may sound, there are two of them now" when Dark Samus shows up

enemies being afraid of Lara Croft loving them up in the later stages of Rise of the Tomb Raider is v good also (maybe it's the same in Shadow too, I haven't played it yet)
I loved the moment you pick up the grenade launcher in TR2013:

-She's got a grenade launcher! Run!
-That's right! Run, you bastards! I'M COMING FOR YOU ALL!. :black101:

But yeah, basically this. Not right off the bat, but at some point enemies should start acknowledging you're an unstoppable force of nature not to be hosed with.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ban lootboxes and force it to where if developers have a cash shop, they can only sell items individually and with an actual dollar value attached. No more buying points and than spending those.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'd also like to see lifetime total spent on the cash shop but, you know, lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

You also can't sell items on the valve marketplace in the Netherlands so it sounds like heaven

Sensible lootbox laws, strong social safety net, topless beaches... What an advanced culture!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I said come in! posted:

Ban lootboxes and force it to where if developers have a cash shop, they can only sell items individually and with an actual dollar value attached. No more buying points and than spending those.

I like how Warframe does it: no lootboxes, premium currency, but you can trade it among players so you can 100% not spend a single cent on the game if you wanna go full grind (but you can't buy items/currency off other players for cash, so no dumb CS knife economy). Or just throw them :tenbux: and do whatever you want with it.

(They also have straight up cash items, but those are for community-made items which the creators get a slice of).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

I like how Warframe does it: no lootboxes, premium currency, but you can trade it among players so you can 100% not spend a single cent on the game if you wanna go full grind (but you can't buy items/currency off other players for cash, so no dumb CS knife economy). Or just throw them :tenbux: and do whatever you want with it.

(They also have straight up cash items, but those are for community-made items which the creators get a slice of).

I like that! Another good example is Path of Exile. The complete opposite of good is of course Overwatch, and then the old system for Battlefront 2 which is what brought about this controversy in the first place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

On the other end of that the plot thread about how you introduce yourself in each mission in Homeworld Cataclysm is so organic yet noticeable when you get to the final introduction.

The storytelling in Homeworld and Cataclysm is insanely good. The storytelling in 2 not so much (though the music does a great job of selling things once you start to listen for certain leitmotifs). :v:

e: Deserts of Kharak has some good beats to it too, storywise and musically :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 9, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't care if it makes me a wretched casual my friend who misses the systems kludge of diablo 2 and thinks diablo 3 ruined the genre tried to get me into path of exile and it made me want to gnaw off my own arms

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if another of those games never came out I could probably just play Torchlight 1 for the rest of my life I guess

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relax Or DIE posted:

I've tried to get into LR a few times because it seems like it's great but the first couple of hours are kind of a drag and I bounce off

People seem to really hate the FIND THE NUMBERS mission, which is fair, but it's literally the only thing like that you have to do. So I guess maybe look up a walkthrough for that if it's annoying you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jolo posted:

Those Ace Combat games look fun, which of them should I start with? I have a pc capable of emulating ps2 games well and a 3ds and a 360. 7 looks really pretty and detailed!

Iirc ace combat 4 still doesn't run in pcsx2 so I guess you could start with 5?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

i don't care if it makes me a wretched casual my friend who misses the systems kludge of diablo 2 and thinks diablo 3 ruined the genre tried to get me into path of exile and it made me want to gnaw off my own arms

It's not for everyone! So don't feel bad. Path of Exile intentionally has obtuse mechanics and a steep learning curve because it wants to intentionally appeal to the hardcore action RPG crowd.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I said come in! posted:

I like that! Another good example is Path of Exile. The complete opposite of good is of course Overwatch, and then the old system for Battlefront 2 which is what brought about this controversy in the first place.

Yeah, PoE (from what little I played/checked the store) handles microtransactions really well as well.

You know what I find weird? That none of the "big ones" have tried copying WF/PoE's monetization model in this past year or so, especially after the Battlefront 2 fiasco.

I know, I know, the big companies are Capital E Evil and they only want money, but that's... kind of my point. We've seen Warframe and Path of Exile getting a lot of publicity and goodwill by players and journalists alike because of said model; "I could be playing this 100% for free but I throw them money from time to time because I really love the game and I want them to do well" seems to be a widespread sentiment, so I'm not sure how nobody has pitched this to one of the execs. Someone in a board room going "maybe we should give this poo poo a try", not because they give a poo poo about customers or non-exploitative practices, but out of a sheer wolf in sheep's clothing tactic so people would go "oh poo poo they're doing the right thing!" even when they just want ALL THE MONEY.

Imagine if Battlefront 2 or Black Ops 4 had launched as free to play but you could spend a few bucks here and there to unlock more loadout slots, weapon bling and cosmetics. No outright gameplay stuff, maybe a couple classes behind some gameplay grind (but not BF2 levels, something reasonable) that you could just pay to get.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

corn in the bible posted:

People seem to really hate the FIND THE NUMBERS mission, which is fair, but it's literally the only thing like that you have to do. So I guess maybe look up a walkthrough for that if it's annoying you

I probably will, I'm 30 or 40 years old so I'm not too proud to use a walkthrough

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, PoE (from what little I played/checked the store) handles microtransactions really well as well.

You know what I find weird? That none of the "big ones" have tried copying WF/PoE's monetization model in this past year or so, especially after the Battlefront 2 fiasco.

I know, I know, the big companies are Capital E Evil and they only want money, but that's... kind of my point. We've seen Warframe and Path of Exile getting a lot of publicity and goodwill by players and journalists alike because of said model; "I could be playing this 100% for free but I throw them money from time to time because I really love the game and I want them to do well" seems to be a widespread sentiment, so I'm not sure how nobody has pitched this to one of the execs. Someone in a board room going "maybe we should give this poo poo a try", not because they give a poo poo about customers or non-exploitative practices, but out of a sheer wolf in sheep's clothing tactic so people would go "oh poo poo they're doing the right thing!" even when they just want ALL THE MONEY.

Imagine if Battlefront 2 or Black Ops 4 had launched as free to play but you could spend a few bucks here and there to unlock more loadout slots, weapon bling and cosmetics. No outright gameplay stuff, maybe a couple classes behind some gameplay grind (but not BF2 levels, something reasonable) that you could just pay to get.

The problem with that, I think at least, is that the big corps aren't set up to work around that long tail income stream. The devs behind WF and PoE make only those games and they've been working on them for half a decade. Enough time to build up that essential player goodwill, but also enough time to flesh out their games with more and more content until they reach a point where customers feel "safe" putting money into them. EA and Activision need to put out big releases year after year and the "ethical" f2p model doesn't work when you are obsoleting your own games with the newer, better version every fall.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Grinding Gear Games and Digital Extremes get a lot of good will and love from the community for PoE and WF's F2P model, yes

It does not make them rich

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ciaphas posted:

Grinding Gear Games and Digital Extremes get a lot of good will and love from the community for PoE and WF's F2P model, yes

yes, only love can do that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Well, Warframe is in the top12 best sellers of 2018 on Steam at least

(PoE is pretty high too)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's a reason the microtransaction/lootbox/free 2 play markets have shifted videogame marketing paradigms massively over the past 10 years and "unfortunately it doesn't make you rich" is not it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Overwatch's lootbox system is good because it doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Overwatch's lootbox system is good because it doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest

it's poo poo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Deserts of Kharak has some good beats to it too, storywise and musically :v:

Speaking of games with good briefings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sf-WoDGIlY

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electronic Arts though admitted in a investor conference call a year ago that lootboxes and DLC don't even make a profit for them. The cost of creating that content is massively expensive.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Electronic Arts though admitted in a investor conference call a year ago that lootboxes and DLC don't even make a profit for them. The cost of creating that content is massively expensive.

uh-uh

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bezos is on the market boys, someone get on that

May 8, 2006

Player expression and cosmetic choices are part of gameplay imho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Slampicking Hanzo and Genji every match regardless of comp is all the player expression I need.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

Player expression and cosmetic choices are part of gameplay imho

it's optional, though. it's not like they're taking away the jump button unless you pay an extra $50 on lootboxes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

bezos is on the market boys, someone get on that

I am interested in seeing what craziness Amazon gets into when they start releasing their first games. They are working on a couple of titles right now, plus licensing their engine out to 3rd parties (the most notable being Star Citizen lmao).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

it's optional, though. it's not like they're taking away the jump button unless you pay an extra $50 on lootboxes

"it could be worse" isn't exactly the best defense

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

"it could be worse" isn't exactly the best defense

that's not what I said, so I'm still free and clear

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

that's not what I said, so I'm still free and clear

That's exactly what the jump button comment was

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They're charging an extra $200 if you want to play as heterosexual Soldier 76.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

At first I didn't read this as sarcastically, but now :golfclap:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

That's exactly what the jump button comment was

my point is that what they are charging for is all extraneous stuff. never mind that you can earn it in-game, too

Saint Freak posted:

They're charging an extra $200 if you want to play as heterosexual Soldier 76.

soldier just won't stop talking about the dicks he used to suck back in his day

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

my point is that what they are charging for is all extraneous stuff. never mind that you can earn it in-game, too

They aren't charging you for cosmetics. They are charging for a chance at cosmetics, which is totally different.

Selling skins is defensible. Loot boxes aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As a mobage gacha player, burn it all to the ground. Even the one I play