Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The ultimate payoff to the Katakuri fight is one of the best things to happen in OP's ridiculously long history.

The reveal about his face and true nature to is wonderful, and pure One Piece. I can't imagine any other big Shonen being able to pull off a reveal like that and make it equal parts ridiculous, funny, badass, tragic, silly, and serious all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Makes sense that a character in One Piece who's set up to be deadly serious with a design that looks more out of Berserk would turn out to be goofier than he first seems, but the way they pulled it off was something special. Especially with how it ties into everything about Big Mom's hosed up family.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
theres so many perfect moments in the fight!! luffy having to put the glass shards in his mouth, spit them out while getting brutally pummled by katakuri and smile into the shards to reassure his crew is one of those moments where you just "get" how much he understands his role. and that's not even a major moment!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the post-fight scene between Katakuri and Brulee is one of my favorites. Brulee's smile as she tells him she's already seen him through the mirrors and his embarrassed reaction is just so :3:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

the post-fight scene between Katakuri and Brulee is one of my favorites. Brulee's smile as she tells him she's already seen him through the mirrors and his embarrassed reaction is just so :3:

i like that he seems to be a genuinely good brother and its one of the few fights in the manga where luffy really had no major disagreement whatsoever with the person who was actively trying to murder him

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

the a man's dream will never die panel but cropped to only the blackbeard part with the quote as a title thing or something

i been trying this but every image i can seem to find comes out really small

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I will wait to give an update until I finish Little Garden or get to a break in the action at least, but Zoro starting to chop his own legs off sure was something. Dude already has a chest scar. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he loses his eyes or a limb or something and is still like I WILL BE GREAT SWORDSMAN

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he replaces them with swords to become a 5 sword style master

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

tbp posted:

i been trying this but every image i can seem to find comes out really small

"find" says to me you're not using image cropping for this so here's a pretty good service I use

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

he replaces them with swords to become a 5 sword style master

honestly I wouldn't be surprised to find out he eats the Sword Sword fruit and becomes able to turn his body into a sword on command

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All this One Piece gunchat reminds me of that one scene from Strong World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5BXNXyDiMc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kashuno posted:

honestly I wouldn't be surprised to find out he eats the Sword Sword fruit and becomes able to turn his body into a sword on command

read on friend

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Kashuno posted:

I will wait to give an update until I finish Little Garden or get to a break in the action at least, but Zoro starting to chop his own legs off sure was something. Dude already has a chest scar. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he loses his eyes or a limb or something and is still like I WILL BE GREAT SWORDSMAN

Zoro deciding to cut his own legs off or at least die in a cool pose is probably what solidified him as my favorite strawhat.

I stopped by the One Piece thing at Tokyo Tower last weekend. There’s a fully sculptured Nami there that is terrifying.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tbp posted:

i like that he seems to be a genuinely good brother and its one of the few fights in the manga where luffy really had no major disagreement whatsoever with the person who was actively trying to murder him

Yeah, Big Mom aside, the rest of the family seem to be generally really good to one another.

Candy Man, Katakuri, and Brulee were the highlights among the Charlottes for me.

Oven was pretty cool too what with his whole heating up the loving ocean itself to burn the Fishmen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, Big Mom aside, the rest of the family seem to be generally really good to one another.

Candy Man, Katakuri, and Brulee were the highlights among the Charlottes for me.

Oven was pretty cool too what with his whole heating up the loving ocean itself to burn the Fishmen.

A lot of the siblings are pretty hosed up tho, like the one who was almost crushing on Katakuri before seeing his real face and immediately went to mocking him. And the way Pudding was treated. They're a dysfunctional criminal family with a horrible matriarch who encourages all their worst traits (just like her parental figures did for her own) and the good ones are the ones who acknowledge it and either try to take control of things in their own way or get the hell out. Katakuri used to be a cool laid back guy and look where that got him.

I may have said before, but in a lot of ways, Big Mom seems like a counterpart to Luffy without his good traits. Both of them were raised with the idea of joining the Marines, in which case feeding them would probably be a bigger problem for the Marines than pirates, both have massive appetites and favourite foods, both are very open-minded about new and strange things and love inviting weird people to join their crew (but Big Mom's egalitarian policy is pretty skin-deep given she openly calls a couple of her own kids freaks, she's basically a rainbow imperialist) and they're both pretty whimsical and silly people who need their crew to keep them from doing even dumber things than they normally do. (but there's hardly anyone that can restrain Big Mom anymore)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait does Shiki have swords for legs?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

i like the goldeneye gun sounds

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait does Shiki have swords for legs?

He does. He had to remove his legs to escape Impel Down, and since his fruit lets him control gravity, he doesn't have to worry about petty concerns like grip and balance in his prostheses.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay so the crew is just leaving Little Garden and whew that was nuts. The two giants were cool as heck, and I was worried for a second they were going for a 'part of the crew sides with one giant, part of the crew sides with the other giant' thing but I'm glad they just went with a more 'everyone is bros here' vibe. Looks like I was correct on Baroque Works sticking around to be a major enemy in the early part of the Grand Line. Setting the ale up to detonate was a gosh dang dirty trick :argh: seeing Dorry get cut down was so sad. Totally not ok Baroque is a poo poo evil org. I may have missed it during the arc but they both have 10m berry bounty on them, so does that mean they were pirates? Like...a giant pirate crew?! I wonder if I'll more giants down the line on some ridiculously huge boat.

Usopp was...good! I can see what people were saying about him really growing into his role and being a Batman type dude with his various slingshot tools. The fake out with the exploding star actually being a fiery pepper star was genius and lmao. Dude is definitely a regular guy trying to make a presence in a world of people with some bizarre powers. Speaking of the powers.

Mr 3 with his Wax power was just so silly. Turning everyone into wax statues was such an over the top way to get rid of them but Zoro striking a cool death pose was pretty great. Luffy was pretty cool using the wax as a hammer basically to smack people around. Getting caught up in the little paint girl power was pretty funny. The flat out "I DON'T WANNA HELP YOU" owned, and the cringe when he was talking about the tea was great. I didn't really like Mr 5 with his dumb exploding booger and breath crap. He was mostly annoying and didn't have great interactions. Same with his partner.

Sanji posing as Mr 3 and getting the eternal pose after dunking on those animal bros was great. I feel like so far most fights in One Piece leave out one person from the crew to do something else or be knocked out, at least Sanji did something cool. I think Zoro had a bigger capture than Sanji though.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Kashuno posted:

Okay so the crew is just leaving Little Garden and whew that was nuts. The two giants were cool as heck, and I was worried for a second they were going for a 'part of the crew sides with one giant, part of the crew sides with the other giant' thing but I'm glad they just went with a more 'everyone is bros here' vibe. Looks like I was correct on Baroque Works sticking around to be a major enemy in the early part of the Grand Line. Setting the ale up to detonate was a gosh dang dirty trick :argh: seeing Dorry get cut down was so sad. Totally not ok Baroque is a poo poo evil org. I may have missed it during the arc but they both have 10m berry bounty on them, so does that mean they were pirates? Like...a giant pirate crew?! I wonder if I'll more giants down the line on some ridiculously huge boat.

Usopp was...good! I can see what people were saying about him really growing into his role and being a Batman type dude with his various slingshot tools. The fake out with the exploding star actually being a fiery pepper star was genius and lmao. Dude is definitely a regular guy trying to make a presence in a world of people with some bizarre powers. Speaking of the powers.

Mr 3 with his Wax power was just so silly. Turning everyone into wax statues was such an over the top way to get rid of them but Zoro striking a cool death pose was pretty great. Luffy was pretty cool using the wax as a hammer basically to smack people around. Getting caught up in the little paint girl power was pretty funny. The flat out "I DON'T WANNA HELP YOU" owned, and the cringe when he was talking about the tea was great. I didn't really like Mr 5 with his dumb exploding booger and breath crap. He was mostly annoying and didn't have great interactions. Same with his partner.

Sanji posing as Mr 3 and getting the eternal pose after dunking on those animal bros was great. I feel like so far most fights in One Piece leave out one person from the crew to do something else or be knocked out, at least Sanji did something cool. I think Zoro had a bigger capture than Sanji though.

No spoilers in this post if you're worried about that. I'd be careful reading random posts in the thread though, if you're not like me who just gets more excited about a series from spoilers.

I think Little Garden is some of the start of "how will the crew escape this nonsense!?" side of One Piece. In East Blue, the weakest sea, they were mostly wrecking, besides Mihawk and to a lesser extent Smoker. Little Garden is the first that I remember that they're exposed to a threatening situation that will kill all of them if they don't destroy it quickly.

Not saying you, but the reason that OP is said to have a slow start is, well, it does lol. Very purposely. Oda outright tells people that East Blue is the weakest sea, so I don't get why some newbies are like "when does this pick up?" even back at East Blue when the narrator outright tells them that it ain't poo poo compared to the Grand Line. It picks up past East Blue, by design. The minute the Grand Line was introduced, I was just waiting to get to that. I'm also glad you recognized Baroque Works is a recurring thing, some people get to Little Garden and think OP is aimless, when in fact there's this Baroque Works mega-plot going on in the background the whole time.

Zoro's moment there is great, and yeah I liked Sanji's moment on the Den Den mushi. I really enjoyed Miss Goldenweek's powers, the fact that they're not a Devil Fruit is crazy.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

:allears:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I may have said before, but in a lot of ways, Big Mom seems like a counterpart to Luffy without his good traits. Both of them were raised with the idea of joining the Marines, in which case feeding them would probably be a bigger problem for the Marines than pirates, both have massive appetites and favourite foods, both are very open-minded about new and strange things and love inviting weird people to join their crew (but Big Mom's egalitarian policy is pretty skin-deep given she openly calls a couple of her own kids freaks, she's basically a rainbow imperialist) and they're both pretty whimsical and silly people who need their crew to keep them from doing even dumber things than they normally do. (but there's hardly anyone that can restrain Big Mom anymore)

That's true of many of the major pirates in the new world so far. Blackbeard is opposite Luffy, Kidd is evil Luffy, Law is serious Luffy, Shanks is grounded Luffy, Kaidou is drunken angry Luffy.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LostRook posted:

That's true of many of the major pirates in the new world so far. Blackbeard is opposite Luffy, Kidd is evil Luffy, Law is serious Luffy, Shanks is grounded Luffy, Kaidou is drunken angry Luffy.

You forgot Big Mom being hungry Luffy.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Luffy is hungry Luffy though.

Big Mom is Prader-Willi Luffy which I had look up the name of and it's surprising how her food-related behaviors match up the hunger-related symptoms of the disease.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Professor Wayne posted:

I stopped by the One Piece thing at Tokyo Tower last weekend. There’s a fully sculptured Nami there that is terrifying.

Would it be more or less terrifying if they built the statue to randomly jiggle?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Reiche posted:

Luffy is hungry Luffy though.

Big Mom is Prader-Willi Luffy which I had look up the name of and it's surprising how her food-related behaviors match up the hunger-related symptoms of the disease.

I just realized during this convo how brilliant it was to have Luffy stage a hunger strike in that arc while in contrast Big Mom was literally murdering her children if they got in the way of her cravings

Luffy is gluttonous but his friends are still way more important to him than food

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Guy A. Person posted:

I just realized during this convo how brilliant it was to have Luffy stage a hunger strike in that arc while in contrast Big Mom was literally murdering her children if they got in the way of her cravings

Luffy is gluttonous but his friends are still way more important to him than food

Yup I love that juxtaposition too. I think even more emphasis can be added because Luffy actually gets repeatedly mad/frustrated that he has to eat in his fights (biscuits 'n mochi mmmmm). I honestly couldn't see Luffy raising a stink about eating during a fight at any other point in the manga.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
he gets mad about being forced to eat non-meats

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kashuno posted:

I may have missed it during the arc but they both have 10m berry bounty on them, so does that mean they were pirates? Like...a giant pirate crew?! I wonder if I'll more giants down the line on some ridiculously huge boat.

100 Million.

Also Mr 3 stated they were the leaders of the Giant Warrior Pirates. Until they disbanded because of Dory and Brogy's really silly argument.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 9, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gotta roll back the clock to Movie Chat real quick because someone lumped movies 8 and 9 together.

Movie 8 is the Alabasta Arc compressed badly into one movie and it is poorly animated. The worst offense is every major fight-ending moment getting capped with like entirely too long freeze frames.

Movie 9 is the Drum Arc with Vivi replaced by Franky and Robin plus a bonus villain. It is well animated minus some iffy snow CG and it is a blast to watch because the Drum Arc is outstanding always.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Being caught up is such a bummer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What movie was it where they like doubled the busts of Nami and Robin?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RatHat posted:

That's just being canon to the Manga.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

RatHat posted:

Movie 7, and iirc there was sfx every time they bounced

Movie 7 is bad

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

RatHat posted:

The best ones.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im suprised to see so many people were middling on Film Gold because I thought it was great. The third act dragged but Ive never really liked the fights in One Piece anyway (although Bacarrats power and defeat were great). The setup and heist were both a hell of a lot of fun to watch. They might have went a LITTLE nuts with the fanservice cameos towards the end but it wasnt enough to drag the movie down for me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loved Gold a ton.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Gold a lot and Luffy wearing a white coat over a Hawaiian shirt is a powerful look.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the moment with Brook and the search owls alone was enough to make Gold worth watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was Baron Omatsuri made by a different team? It seems to have a drastically different animation style compared to everything else in the series (still really good though).