Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

manero posted:

Now I'm really interested in OpenTTD

I'm still waiting for a mod that just adds industries like in OpenTTD. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Of course, all these explanation are useless when we don't know what problems people are actually having.

I'm tempted to make a guide that walks through how an intersection is signaled, showing the reasoning behind each signal. No idea if that would be helpful though.

I'm reminded more and more of the Haskell monad tutorial problem.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You see, signals are like a burrito...

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Is it just me or are those 2 signal graphics from that thread even better than most factorio signal tutorials? (if you just change 'pre signal' to 'chain signal')

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Magus42 posted:

Is it just me or are those 2 signal graphics from that thread even better than most factorio signal tutorials? (if you just change 'pre signal' to 'chain signal')

It's not just you, I had the exact same thought - I think those graphics are really good. Speaking of which, chain signals in Factorio are sort of a hybrid between OpenTTD pre-signals and path signals, and that's one of the key things the guy linked on the previous page misunderstood. In OpenTTD the trunk pre-signal will turn red if all signal branches ahead of it are red, but be green otherwise. In Factorio, if you have an Y like this:

with one branch occupied but the other free, the chain signal will turn blue, and whether a train will stop or go past it depends on its destination (or its path, rather). If it can take either of the paths to get where it's going, or if it it needs to take the southern branch but can't take the northern one, it'll pass the chain signal as if it was green. If it's going to the northern branch though, it will stop at the chain signal - it can enter the junction block, but the signal for entering the next block on its path is red, so it will treat the chain signal as red too. It's a path-aware pre-signal, I guess you could say. That guy got super mad about this for some reason and accused the poor innocent signals of lying to him.

e: lol @ the references section btw

quote:

Grays42’s “Factorio Train Automation”
Useful for all the example images because they focus around blocks. Seems to be correct.
Couldn’t be bothered to read all the text though. Too many color and location changes.
too bad you didn't read buddy, because it actually explains everything quite well. yes it's very long but it does cover all the cases

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 9, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is it "worth" trying for nuclear power when you don't yet have access to Kovarex enrichment?

I've decided I don't really like solar energy at all, mostly from the aesthetic. Even really nicely tiled solar farms look kind of awful to me just because of how damned big it is.

(e) I just need high-tech science packs. Nothing stopping me from just doing that first, for this game anyway

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yes, absolutely. You only need one centrifuge per reactor.

Kovarex is for when you start wanting to throw nukes at biters.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

Is it "worth" trying for nuclear power when you don't yet have access to Kovarex enrichment?

I've decided I don't really like solar energy at all, mostly from the aesthetic. Even really nicely tiled solar farms look kind of awful to me just because of how damned big it is.

(e) I just need high-tech science packs. Nothing stopping me from just doing that first, for this game anyway

Jabor posted:

Yes, absolutely. You only need one centrifuge per reactor.

Kovarex is for when you start wanting to throw nukes at biters.

M_Gargantua posted:

40MW of nuclear is 4,650 Copper, 1,880 Iron, 1,200 Plastic, 790 Steel, and 600 Concrete
40MW of solar is 26,180 Copper, 15,880 Iron, 4,760 Steel + 4000 Batteries

480MW of nuclear is 20,200 Copper, 9,120 Iron, 4,800 Plastic, 3,960 Steel, and 2,400 Concrete
480MW of solar is 314,160 Copper, 190,554 Iron, 57,120 Steel + 47,985 Batteries

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Heck yeah, thank you!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think a lot of explanations over-complicate chain signals. They mark the beginning of a zone in which you don't want trains to ever stop, and the end of that zone is marked with another regular signal.

This zone be a section of two-way track, it can be crossing an intersection, it can be the track between holding bays and a station

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lol gently caress me sideways I should have started sooner. At least I've thrown a grand total of one (1) assembler for each of accumulators and panels so I didn't waste much :v:

I'd much rather solve the nuclear puzzle than plop down another ugly blueprint anyway, I'll go see how I do with that soon as I figure out how I want to get the sulfuric acid to the uranium. Or drag the uranium to the acid, idk? (edit: brain fart)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 9, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Miners need acid to mine uranium.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I brainfarted, I guess I meant to ask whether I'd want to transport the acid by train or by direct pipe and pumps. Is there a way to measure distance on the map?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The solution is always MORE TRAINS :colbert:

If you're building a track there to collect the ore by train you may as well use that track to also deliver the acid.

And if you're building a track there to deliver acid you may as well use that track to also collect the ore.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 9, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Note to self to figure out keeping the drat train cars fuelled before i start on nuclear next time I open factorio. Already have like five engines on the line and having just one go out at a remote location was enough to make me stop for a while :v:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

GotLag posted:

Always!!!!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

GotLag posted:

i hev deadlok on trackz, wat do?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dancer posted:

i hev deadlok on trackz, wat do?

more tracks

THEN MORE TRAINS

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

lol gently caress me sideways I should have started sooner. At least I've thrown a grand total of one (1) assembler for each of accumulators and panels so I didn't waste much :v:

I'd much rather solve the nuclear puzzle than plop down another ugly blueprint anyway, I'll go see how I do with that soon as I figure out how I want to get the sulfuric acid to the uranium. Or drag the uranium to the acid, idk? (edit: brain fart)

You'll want the solar panels for the satellite eventually anyway, so leave the production line in place. I usually end up building at least one assembler of everything because you never know when you'll want it.

Ciaphas posted:

Note to self to figure out keeping the drat train cars fuelled before i start on nuclear next time I open factorio. Already have like five engines on the line and having just one go out at a remote location was enough to make me stop for a while :v:

If your stations are too far flung to make it easy to belt fuel to them, you can always just build a dedicated fueling station next to your coal patch or refining area if you're using solid fuel. It can tide you over until bots trivialize moving fuel around.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 9, 2019

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Falcorum posted:

I'm still waiting for a mod that just adds industries like in OpenTTD. :v:
You might want to check out Whistle Stop Factories which adds giant mega-smelters/assemblers in fixed locations on the map that you need to feed by trains.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
how long until factorio has a better tt implementation than openttd :v:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Truga posted:

how long until factorio has a better tt implementation than openttd :v:
One of the developers is a former openttd developer so this is entirely possible

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

GotLag posted:

Factorio: The solution is always MORE

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

You might want to check out Whistle Stop Factories which adds giant mega-smelters/assemblers in fixed locations on the map that you need to feed by trains.

And if you want to build it yourself, this is basically the "village" approach to factory building.
I've been thinking of trying it instead of a bus, it looks more fun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

You'll want the solar panels for the satellite eventually anyway, so leave the production line in place. I usually end up building at least one assembler of everything because you never know when you'll want it.

I was meaning to ask for awhile, but I guess this answers my question of how to power further out mining operations? Just plop down a solar array and some accumulators?

So far I've just been running power lines to stuff since it's close enough not to be too much of a hassle, and if I'm laying the track I can just lay the wires on the return trip. (It just now dawns on me I should probably just have a locomotive ready to ride home.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oxyclean posted:

I was meaning to ask for awhile, but I guess this answers my question of how to power further out mining operations? Just plop down a solar array and some accumulators?

So far I've just been running power lines to stuff since it's close enough not to be too much of a hassle, and if I'm laying the track I can just lay the wires on the return trip. (It just now dawns on me I should probably just have a locomotive ready to ride home.)

If you have a train network: have a dedicated steam delivery train. Yes, steam never cools and is basically stored power.

1 tank of "low temperature" steam from boilers (165 C) is 750 MJ, so nearly 100 pieces of coal.
1 tank of "high temperature" steam from nuclear heat exchangers (500C) is 2.425 GJ.

Just have a steam delivery train that make deliveries from your power plant's off-flow.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Oxyclean posted:

Once you get bots & a personal roboport you can slowly roll down the track in your own personal locomotive, laying blueprints down. Once you're done, just tell the locomotive to return to your own personal train stop and enjoy the trip.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

People distribute power via steam? Good lord, I thought you were supposed to just run big poles along train tracks. :psyduck:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Ciaphas posted:

People distribute power via steam? Good lord, I thought you were supposed to just run big poles along train tracks. :psyduck:

I just realized that steam distribution of power would solve the whole "biters took out some random big pole in the middle of nowhere" issue. Can't destroy buildings if there are no buildings in between.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

crazysim posted:

I just realized that steam distribution of power would solve the whole "biters took out some random big pole in the middle of nowhere" issue. Can't destroy buildings if there are no buildings in between.

They can destroy tracks (but you'll have longer to respond to it presumably, since the steam already there will act as a buffer).

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Alkydere posted:

If you have a train network: have a dedicated steam delivery train. Yes, steam never cools and is basically stored power.

1 tank of "low temperature" steam from boilers (165 C) is 750 MJ, so nearly 100 pieces of coal.
1 tank of "high temperature" steam from nuclear heat exchangers (500C) is 2.425 GJ.

Just have a steam delivery train that make deliveries from your power plant's off-flow.
Why would you send a whole train for the equivalent of a stack and a half of coal? I guess if you had no water anywhere near the other end, but otherwise that seems like a much worse idea than just sending a train full of coal and boiling on site...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

misguided rage posted:

Why would you send a whole train for the equivalent of a stack and a half of coal? I guess if you had no water anywhere near the other end, but otherwise that seems like a much worse idea than just sending a train full of coal and boiling on site...

Presumably they just add the tanker car to the normal cargo wagon load out, and it's just part of the normal loading.

Though the turbines are pretty loving expensive to use for every remote train base... Regular steam engines are at least cheap, but way less efficient on high temp steam.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

misguided rage posted:

Because TRAIN! Do you really need more reason?

Also migrating biters have an annoying habit of eating power lines while they ignore rail tracks.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
The Petroleum Power mod would be an alternative (even though I find it easier to just use pylons).

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Dancer posted:

They can destroy tracks (but you'll have longer to respond to it presumably, since the steam already there will act as a buffer).

I've never seen them destroy tracks. They don't block pathing nor do they "pollute". Are you sure? I thought the only way to destroy tracks would be to grenade them or use some sort of player explosive. Do worms target tracks?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Oxyclean posted:

I just run power lines everywhere except for radars. If I'm deploying radars way off in the middle of nowhere I'll just drop down a single solar panel with the radar which is enough to have it turn on but not scan during the day and show me if there are nests nearby.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

crazysim posted:

I've never seen them destroy tracks. They don't block pathing nor do they "pollute". Are you sure? I thought the only way to destroy tracks would be to grenade them or use some sort of player explosive. Do worms target tracks?

I guess worms would in theory if a fresh base spawned near your rails, but I have never, ever seen Biters even acknowledge that tracks even exist. I've seen them eat belts, but not tracks.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Biters will not normally attack rails in the wild. Default biter behavior is to attack sources of pollution (e.g. miners, steam engines) and military structures (e.g. radar, turrets). They will also attack things that they can't easily path around while they are on their way to attack a source of pollution, or when they are migrating if biter spread turned on. Biters have collision with each other so when travelling in large groups they will often end up attacking things that it seems they ought to be able to easily path around, like individual large energy poles, because the biters in the middle of the group get stuck behind it and can't go around because other biters are in the way.

Rails don't have collision and don't produce pollution so biters will for the most part walk right over them. The exception to this is that when biters finish destroying a group of pollution sources or respond to an attack from the player, they switch into a sort of 'rampage' behavior and start attacking everything artificial in the area. For example if you park an artillery train somewhere, fire off some shots, and then drive it elsewhere, biters will charge to the place the train was and start eating tracks because there is nothing else for them to eat at that spot.

tl;dr you don't need to defend your stretches of rail between bases but rails near pollution sources/military installations might end up as collateral damage

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 9, 2019

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Did some back of the envelope math on powering bases off grid using nuclear heated steam & turbines:

(all numbers are without upgrades)

A single steam turbine working at 100% will power an outpost of 52 miners, 1 radar, and 48 stack inserters (running for 52 seconds and idle for 365). 1 fluid wagon of steam lasts long enough (417 secs) to mine almost 6 wagons worth of ore (11,472) using these numbers.

I'm not sure I'd want to rely on powering a mining base this way, but it might be a good idea as a backup power source. Add a few tanks and a couple turbines to a the base, connect them with a power switch wired to an accumulator on the main grid, and circuit up a dedicated stop for the steam. If the main power lines get cut, the accumulator drops below 50% and the power switch trips letting the turbines start supplying the outpost. When the local steam tanks drop below 50% the steam train stop turns on and a train is dispatched to refill them.

The biggest headache is setting up a second train to drain the steam once the outpost is mined dry, but I suppose you could just delete it since once you get nuclear reactors power is basically free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

uPen posted:

I just run power lines everywhere except for radars. If I'm deploying radars way off in the middle of nowhere I'll just drop down a single solar panel with the radar which is enough to have it turn on but not scan during the day and show me if there are nests nearby.

Five solars give 100% power to one radar during the day; you can fit 4 radars and 20 solars around one substation :science: