Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Holy poo poo, somebody actually quantified it then? That puts Pollard's songwriting tally at somewhere in the ballpark of 2,500 songs, plus an additional 268 unreleased songs. And he's only recorded 54 covers? God drat. That's mental illness manifested in music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm getting horrible Bungie-style obnoxious whimsy vibes from all those titles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah, half of those would make great Destiny gun names

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

As someone who shares your implied annoyance at many whimsical Bungie titles, these work a lot better for me. I think it's because I know they were taken from somewhere else and had a level made for them (or matched with a level that seemed to suit them; whatever), rather than somebody making a map and then just free associating to come up with some ~wacky~ title for it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Now I want a Heretic WAD that references Uriah Heep song titles with a proto-progmetal soundtrack.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1082025432885723139

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Lol

Devolver PR guys are :discourse:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Have you actually given this a go? Is this like legit or like a half failed recreation like fortress forever was for tfc

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't know what it is about Devolver Digital but I own and love like 3/4ths of the games they publish. I feel like the twin brother I never knew is working for them or something.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know what it is about Devolver Digital but I own and love like 3/4ths of the games they publish. I feel like the twin brother I never knew is working for them or something.

Indie publishers tend to find a vein to tap into. Devolver knows their whacky niche, their E3 press conferences exemplify it pretty well. I also quite like the Introversion guys for the depth in game mechanics they put in their games They found their niche with simulation games, and I can't wait to throw more money at them for their next installment, knowing the kind of product they put out. Paradox has historical stuff covered, Amanita has artsy point-and-click stuff covered... It's a pretty good time to get what you're looking for out of games.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
It is infinitely amusing to me how much poo poo skillsaw gets for what I thought we’re pretty good wads.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tim Thomas posted:

It is infinitely amusing to me how much poo poo skillsaw gets for what I thought we’re pretty good wads.

uh, from who?

he's arguably the most prolific / prominent mapper in an era of extremely high quality Doom wads, and his style (slash Erik Alm's) has basically defined the output from Doomworld circles

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh? What "poo poo" does skillsaw get, I'm pretty sure he's widely considered one of the best Doom mappers in the business.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A lot of people bust on skilsaw for when he reuses themes and other stuff like that. It's pretty much all good natured ribbing not like people hating his guts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know, I'm half torn between ragging on Quake's shotguns for being underpowered and half-ragging on Quake for not having any good low or medium-health threats outside of the base-style maps. It doesn't help that the Zombies which in any other FPS would be a one hit kill swarmer are only susceptible to explosive or quad powerup damage so the one "weak" enemy type for the other 4/5ths of the games levels can't even be dealt with your weak weapons anyway.

It also dawned on me on this playthrough thats probably supposed to be an axe the ranger has, I've just assumed it was a shovel because I've never used it to kill anything ever

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, I played through Quake 1 not that long ago again and the enemies being kinda bullet sponges and ammo being scarce for your guns that actually kill enemies at a decent speed was a bit of an issue. I ended up relying on the Rocket Launcher as my go-to weapon for the most part but even then I was running low on ammo for it a lot. Level design was great though.

I played Quake 2 afterwards which kinda had the opposite problem where guns felt powerful and punchy but the level design was dogshit.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
very hot take:

the quake 2 super shotgun is better then the doom 2 super shotgun. the only thing that could make it better is if it had a muzzle flash. why did no weapons in quake 2 have muzzle flashes anyway?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My gripe with Quake weapons is that you don't get to use the thunderbolt (lightning gun) often enough. Ammo is rare, you can only keep 100 max, and they're guzzled down at very high speed; so it ends up being left aside for until encountering a shambler.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I always liked how the lightning gun instakills you if you use it underwater. Only ever made that mistake once :science:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I played Quake 2 afterwards which kinda had the opposite problem where guns felt powerful and punchy but the level design was dogshit.

I don't think Quake 2's level design actually gets BAD until around the last quarter, where it starts giving up on the interesting level loops and multi-tiered objectives. I will say I kiiiinda hated the Pyramid segment because it can be confusing to know what exactly it's expecting of you by the end of it, but it's the one really majorly bad spot in an otherwise pretty good and consistent experience.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've never really enjoyed Quake I. The visual design felt muddy even at the time compared to Doom. The sound effects are annoying. The bosses suck. It's brown as gently caress.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The only map I really hated in Quake I was the secret low-grav one.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The expansion packs for quake 2 worth playing?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

If you liked the main campaign in Quake 2, I'd say they're worth a look.

Ground Zero has some completely new enemies (including bosses), but the most memorable are the turrets (you will learn to hate these).
The Reckoning mainly has "regular enemies, but with shields", including some ridiculous bullet sponges in the last part.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Plan Z posted:

The only map I really hated in Quake I was the secret low-grav one.

Ziggurat Vertigo? That was my one of my favourites, alongside the Wind Tunnels :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Quake's air control wasn't quite up to making the most of that gimmick.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I've never really enjoyed Quake I. The visual design felt muddy even at the time compared to Doom. The sound effects are annoying. The bosses suck. It's brown as gently caress.

Come on guys, you gotta source your retard takes from reddit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ziggurat Vertigo is cool and good, but The Wind Tunnels is bad

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Flannelette posted:

The expansion packs for quake 2 worth playing?

I recently played through Quake II and the mission packs. I have to say "no" to The Reckoning and a "maybe" to Ground Zero. None of the additions to Reckoning are that great. On a whole the game loves to give you a lot of unavoidable damage, through the new enemies and where they spawn. And two of the "new" (literally pre-existing but with a summer hatshield) enemies are just made to be bullet sponges, to the point that the latter levels are terrible just because you need more than half a minute to take one of them out. The reason I give a "maybe" to Ground Zero is because Reckoning burned me out on the game and I quit GZ after a few levels. From what did see I have to say the levels were better designed that the other mission pack though.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 9, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

skasion posted:

I recently played Quake for the first time, and The Wind Tunnels is one of the only maps that stuck out to me. I thought it was pretty good? Neat concept, at least.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I don't think Quake 2's level design actually gets BAD until around the last quarter, where it starts giving up on the interesting level loops and multi-tiered objectives. I will say I kiiiinda hated the Pyramid segment because it can be confusing to know what exactly it's expecting of you by the end of it, but it's the one really majorly bad spot in an otherwise pretty good and consistent experience.

The final level of Quake 2 pissed me off because I had no idea what to do. Turns out that after pressing a switch I needed to wait around a minute for some communications dish to get destroyed, in the area the dish is located in. I did not realize this and spent nearly an hour backtracking through the interconnected levels trying to figure out where to go.

Then I played the Mission Packs and yeah the level design in them was even worse.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

skasion posted:

Your avatar is my face when reading this post

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Convex posted:

Your avatar is my face when reading this post

Waht a coincidence, my avatar is my face when playing The Wind Tunnels

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Convex posted:

Ziggurat Vertigo? That was my one of my favourites, alongside the Wind Tunnels :(

I just get frustrated when a missed jump adds another few seconds on. It's neat in concept, but I don't find it fun to play.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Convex posted:

I always liked how the lightning gun instakills you if you use it underwater. Only ever made that mistake once :science:

Not only that, it kills *anyone* in the water. I would spend a lot of time trying to lure people into the water leading to the LG on dm6 just to instagib them before they realized what was happening. People got smart to that real quick.

Convex posted:

Ziggurat Vertigo is what I was reminded of most toward the end of Dusk. A huge, open labyrinth of vertical vertical platforms with invuln and rockets littered everywhere just begging you to rocket jump to the ceiling and rain down rockets on shamblers. It's one of the few times Quake encourages you to use its mechanics in a weird gimmicky way and I love it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

treat posted:

Not only that, it kills *anyone* in the water. I would spend a lot of time trying to lure people into the water leading to the LG on dm6 just to instagib them before they realized what was happening. People got smart to that real quick.

They don't even need to be in the water! I think it works via radius. I forget which DM level it was, but there's an area with a lightning gun underwater, and a walkway above, and I've zapped people before being near the surface but under the walkway, and having an invulnerability active.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

i remember thinking the quake singleplayer experience was boring as gently caress at the time, but the sound design is some of my favorite of all time. not even just monster sounds, but the ambiance; i can still hear that quake computer terminal beeping sound in my head.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember being kinda mad that Quake beat out Duke 3D for PC Gamer's game of the year. Duke just had personality and color and fun, though I did admit to be really impressed when I shot a dude in the first level of Quake, and I realized as I passed him that his entire body wasn't rotating to continually face me: he wasn't a sprite.

And re ^^^, Quake 1's haunted electronics and structures were great. I also bought, and never finished, Quake 64, which had its own custom levels to fit the system's and controller's limits.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Quake 1 had to go with fewer but tougher enemies for technical reasons, and its relentless brownness became a cliche of the genre, but the movement and shooting are still top notch.

Quakeworld multiplayer and the many mods for it also can't be overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

ponzicar posted:

Quakeworld multiplayer and the many mods for it also can't be overlooked.

QW was what really got me into games. I saw my brother at college and he was playing Team Fortress on a new computer and FSU T1 connection. I told him when he came home next he needed to load it on our family computer so I could play too. He laughed at me because I was 11 and didn’t realize the dramatic change I was about to experience playing on a few year old computer and a 28.8 connection through EarthLink.

I ended up expanding out from there picking up Wolf, Doom, and Duke (although I had played and beaten the two side scroller Duke games). I remember going to my cousins house in Indiana in 98 or so and playing Goldeneye and being disappointed how far it was behind Quake and Quake 2.