Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Slutitution posted:

The way she died was the real money shot anyway.

The girl who got impaled to the wall by the spinning bladed weapon? I laughed my rear end off at that scene.

That movie is hilarious if you could just see what was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

More likely, they're shelving the whole thing because Covenant didn't preform well. If anything, I imagine Disney will eventually make a subsidary to make R rated projects to keep the Disney logo kid friendly. But even then I don't think they'll touch Alien unless its a hard reboot.

I hope Ridley walks away from it if Disney tries to force an action film out of him.

EDIT: Also, is Michael Fassbender still contracted for more Alien films?

Slutitution fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 28, 2018

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Preston Waters posted:

The girl who got impaled to the wall by the spinning bladed weapon? I laughed my rear end off at that scene.

That movie is hilarious if you could just see what was happening.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who laughed at that scene. I watched the movie in the theaters so I was able to follow the action.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Azubah posted:

I am so glad I'm not the only one who laughed at that scene. I watched the movie in the theaters so I was able to follow the action.

Me too but I can't remember much from it (the theatrical cut). I just remember dying laughing at that and the fact that my friend kept "translating" what the Predator was saying directly into my ear: "AAAAH I FUCKIN HATE YOU I'M GONNA KILL YOU MOTHERFUCKER AAAAAAHHH gently caress YOU"

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh god it's on again and I forgot how much they played up that relationship

and she just gets impaled to the wall right in front of him hahahahaha

edit: and holy poo poo the Predator just made a bubble bath. This is so loving terrible it's hilarious.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 29, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like when the alien tail goes through the kids chest and it's like nbd

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The on the commentary the directors laughed and were like “oh and he died at the hospital due to an infection lol”

They isn’t give a gently caress.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The rumored sequel to Alien: Isolation, Alien: Blackout has been officially announced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a mobile game.

:negative:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/alien-blackout-announced-is-a-mobile-game-starring/1100-6464203/

So, a couple of years ago the classic Korean horror game White Day was remade for mobile devices and came out great, they even ported it to PS4/etc. shortly afterwards. And I was definitely hooked on Theresia (which got ported to the DS later). So it's definitely possible to make a strong single player horror game for mobile, just, this seems sort of like the old Alien game for the C64 and Spectrum and such where you're overseeing everything and coordinating where the crew goes. That seems ripe for like the F2P mobile game bullshit that's basically anathema to horror.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 7, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Preston Waters posted:

Oh god it's on again and I forgot how much they played up that relationship

and she just gets impaled to the wall right in front of him hahahahaha

edit: and holy poo poo the Predator just made a bubble bath. This is so loving terrible it's hilarious.

Also they do the whole little segment where a soldier is having her emotional reunion with her family and she gets like 2 hours with her husband before he's brutally mauled to death in front of her. Also the pregnant waitress at the diner.

Basically the movie's premise is like "what if Aliens and Predators showed up in a small town and ruined all of their quaint little rom com stories." and it's pretty successful at that part, at least.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Also they do the whole little segment where a soldier is having her emotional reunion with her family and she gets like 2 hours with her husband before he's brutally mauled to death in front of her. Also the pregnant waitress at the diner.

Basically the movie's premise is like "what if Aliens and Predators showed up in a small town and ruined all of their quaint little rom com stories." and it's pretty successful at that part, at least.

I posted about this earlier, but Requiem really is waaaaaay better if you pretend it's the cynical, mean-spirited Italian grindhouse ripoff of an actual sci-fi action movie. It feels a lot closer to stuff like Alien 2: On Earth or Shocking Dark in that respect. Like they had a location/deadline/everything locked in because a producer's wife's cousin's brother's friend owned a big house in a place and the plot of the movie was built around that. Okay so we're in the midwest? Wait we have to this with how little money? Uh okay what's the biggest building we can use, a K-Mart? Okay cool, people like gore effects right? Okay everyone we got 17 days let's do this. Then in post they conned someone into giving them more money to do the intro on the Predator ship so they could make a sick trailer. I know circumstances weren't the same but it really does feel like that exact kind of movie one very level when you watch it. LOL I made a fake VHS cover along those lines for it earlier in the thread but can't find it now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

The rumored sequel to Alien: Isolation, Alien: Blackout has been officially announced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a mobile game.

What? I can't even picture that. How immersive and scary can you make a game on a 3" x 5" screen?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

What? I can't even picture that. How immersive and scary can you make a game on a 3" x 5" screen?

Gatcha loot is honestly pretty scary.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

The Dead Space mobile prequel to Dead Space 2 was shockingly great.

For $5, I’ll give this a whirl. I’ve played some really polished, fun mobile games in recent years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

I posted about this earlier, but Requiem really is waaaaaay better if you pretend it's the cynical, mean-spirited Italian grindhouse ripoff of an actual sci-fi action movie.

Impossible for me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Sound design and writing goes a loooooong way in horror games.

That Dead Space mobile game was awesome, controlled insanely well for a mobile game, and you played as the single non-dumbass Unitologist in the entire setting because he actually notices that the Marker warps people into twisted berserker demon mutants and realizes that that is actually the exact opposite of what the guy who discovered the Marker said it would do. Like that worked great in Dead Space 1 when it was part of a crew on a single spacecraft, but the idea that Unitology would span from that to the power and widespread following they have in Dead Space 3 after that became common knowledge was insanely stupid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Sound design and writing goes a loooooong way in horror games.

That Dead Space mobile game was awesome, controlled insanely well for a mobile game, and you played as the single non-dumbass Unitologist in the entire setting because he actually notices that the Marker warps people into twisted berserker demon mutants and realizes that that is actually the exact opposite of what the guy who discovered the Marker said it would do.
For what it’s worth, the player character in the mobile game was a woman. You can actually find an audio log from her in Dead Space 2.

Edit— also if you read the book Dead Space: Martyr, it tells the story of Robert Altman and how he discovered the first Marker. Spoiler: He quickly learns that the Marker is dangerous, and tries to warn humanity but the budding Unitology movement martyrs him. Basically everything the games say “Robert Altman” prophecized about the Marker and Convergence was propaganda that other people made up after his death.

It’s actually a surprisingly solid read, if you like the Dead Space “world” then it’s definitely worth your time.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 7, 2019

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Edit— also if you read the book Dead Space: Martyr, it tells the story of Robert Altman and how he discovered the first Marker. Spoiler: He quickly learns that the Marker is dangerous, and tries to warn humanity but the budding Unitology movement martyrs him. Basically everything the games say “Robert Altman” prophecized about the Marker and Convergence was propaganda that other people made up after his death.

In fairness, it would have been easier to hear his warnings if there weren't a bunch of people all talking at the same time.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

For what it’s worth, the player character in the mobile game was a woman. You can actually find an audio log from her in Dead Space 2.

It’s actually a surprisingly solid read, if you like the Dead Space “world” then it’s definitely worth your time.

Did they ever follow up on earth getting eaten by a moon?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

Did they ever follow up on earth getting eaten by a moon?

Nope, they did two books and they’re both set before the games.

The Dead Space ancillary stuff was shockingly coherent, they put a lot of thought in getting it to tie together in interesting ways. The downfall of the colony in the first game got shown in a comic series (which got a really cool motion comic adaptation) and the first half of Dead Space Extraction game for the Wii, and then the downfall of the Ishimura got shown in the second half of the Wii game and a prequel anime. And all of it cross-references each other - there’s an audio log in the last chapter of the first game that’s straight out of the comic series, and you see the event it’s referencing play out in the Wii game.

“The Art of Dead Space” is a fantastic book if you like concept and design artwork, too.

I’m a pretty big fan of the series, and I’m pissed that we’ll never get a fourth one. Some game journalist did an interview with some former Visceral devs and they’ve got the script and game concept ready to roll for the fourth and final game, and a podcast did an interview with Gunner Wright (the voice of Isaac Clarke) and he’s eager to do another game, given the opportunity.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

This is all good to know. :) Maybe I will pick up the book, I remember there was that small overload of comics and novels, didn't one still come out not even that long ago?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

AVP: R whiffed hard on the Predalien, which is one of the biggest reasons why it will never be officially invited to the franchise family reunion for me. You basically have the easiest avenue to create a really cool looking and iconic practical effect creature, and instead we got that big headed, rubbery, doofy-looking... thing

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a mobile game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/alien-blackout-announced-is-a-mobile-game-starring/1100-6464203/

This looks like the "play" part of #ReadPlayWatch

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/1082355991604224000

I think the rumor about an Alien TV series just might be true.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I want a Jonesy The Cat simulator where you just roll around the Nostromo doin Cat poo poo while the alien murders the crew.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That would be sublime. If I can’t have MY DAVID I’ll be fine with stories about Amanda Ripley.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

That would be sublime. If I can’t have MY DAVID I’ll be fine with stories about Amanda Ripley.

Amanda meets an old beaten up David.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MonsieurChoc posted:

Amanda meets an old beaten up David.

Better yet, Amanda meets an old beaten up Walter, and the reader doesn’t realize it at first.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

AVP: R whiffed hard on the Predalien, which is one of the biggest reasons why it will never be officially invited to the franchise family reunion for me. You basically have the easiest avenue to create a really cool looking and iconic practical effect creature, and instead we got that big headed, rubbery, doofy-looking... thing

I mean it was a cross between and Alien and the AvP1 style Predators so.......

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The backlash Alien Blackout is getting is hilarious.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Enough with the Ripley family already

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

banned from Starbucks posted:

Enough with the Ripley family already

Wait until Disney makes films on Ellen Ripley's granddaughter.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Slutitution posted:

I of course understand (and am myself) people being disappointed since Isolation had a lot of cool stuff going on in it and this kind of solidifies that that won't be followed up on in a cool way in game form, but the backlash mobile spin off stuff gets really does reach crazy levels so fast. That Diablo announcement and Metal Gear pachinko not too long ago where other big ones. But like, any franchise that has any popularity at all has had at least one crappy mobile game so it really is hilarious whenever that massive backlash happens like no no no THIS PARTICULAR heavily merchandised nerd thing is somehow above that.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Slutitution posted:

Wait until Disney makes alien infested princess cartoons on Ellen Ripley's granddaughter.

Might watch...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Slutitution posted:

Personally I’m ambivalent. The franchise has had stuff from all over the quality spectrum over the years anyway - if this is bad, then oh well.

As for #ReadPlayWatch, both Read and Play are about Amanda Ripley, I wouldn’t be surprised if Watch was, as well. FOX announced some kind of Alien series shortly before the Disney acquisition, and a week or two ago the Alien Anthology Instagram had some teasers for some kind of project that isn’t the comic series (Read) or Blackout (Play), but still had Amanda Ripley tagged in it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Impossible for me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ha, that's pretty great.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'd really be down for an AvP movie that took place on the human spaceflight part of Alien/Aliens timeline with some space truckers and/or Colonial Marines.

In the meantime that will be my canon for my skype tabletop game I'm running using Mothership.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Slutitution posted:

This looks like the "play" part of #ReadPlayWatch

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/1082355991604224000

I think the rumor about an Alien TV series just might be true.

Operation: Aliens finally gets the greenlight. I just hope Henrikson's still in good enough shape to lug around that minigun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ChickenHeart posted:

Operation: Aliens finally gets the greenlight. I just hope Henrikson's still in good enough shape to lug around that minigun.

Fun fact: that Operation Aliens TV show never existed. What we thought were stills from a pilot episode were just concept art that an artist put together, but a show was never even pitched to Fox.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last videogames I spent a significant amount of time on were Diablo 2 and WC3 way the gently caress back in the early 2000s, so the fact that Blackout is a mobile game doesn't bother me, although I do understand the disappointment a lot of Isolation fans feel, especially since they were using the Amanda Ripley name in teasers for the last month. That said, I still can't help but wonder why Fox would shoot themselves in the foot with this considering the reaction to the Diablo Immortal and C&C mobile releases. I guess the money these companies make off mobile games in asian markets is loving insane (and worth it)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo