Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Pull support and actually make a stance, instead of just using this as free publicity, which is exactly why they made the choice to do it.

Blizzard is not an ally of LGBT, it's a company that knows how to manipulate media (most of the time). If a company wants to actually make a point, or show that they really support what they are saying, they would pull support from Russia.

I agree that Blizzard isn't an ally, but I'm not sure the right call is telling your entire Russian fan base, some of which are on the right side of the argument here, that you've ended your game for them because the country they live in and can't fix is backwards as all hell. In the cosmic sense, it's probably the right decision, but on a social and personal level, it feels like a big middle finger to the people you want on your side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Besesoth posted:

If you use aerosolized Vaseline I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

I was gonna modify this so it was Pepe saying "Soldier 76 is straight" and getting mad when he's asked "Why?", but I couldn't think of someone to put in the upper right and :effort:.
How about this instead?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Takoluka posted:

I agree that Blizzard isn't an ally, but I'm not sure the right call is telling your entire Russian fan base, some of which are on the right side of the argument here, that you've ended your game for them because the country they live in and can't fix is backwards as all hell. In the cosmic sense, it's probably the right decision, but on a social and personal level, it feels like a big middle finger to the people you want on your side.

On the other hand, if no one else has to play with Russians, isn't that technically a win.

Plus I'm not sure why the Russians are magically incapable of affecting their own country. Russia still pays enough lip service to democratic institutions that a sufficiently numerous group of angry people can affect a change without needing to set things on fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

On the other hand, if no one else has to play with Russians, isn't that technically a win.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

PurpleXVI posted:

Plus I'm not sure why the Russians are magically incapable of affecting their own country. Russia still pays enough lip service to democratic institutions that a sufficiently numerous group of angry people can affect a change without needing to set things on fire.

Just like the US who elected an authoritarian blowhard, I assume there are a good number of conservative* Russians who like the way things are, and have enough power to keep the status quo.

*I know the terms conservative/liberal have different connotations outside the US, but I don't know offhand what the Russian equivalents are

vvv Well that's loving depressing

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jan 9, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Soviet Union of Homophobia never dissolved.

Wow can't believe the same guy is running the AP Politics and Daily Caller social media. "Here's the photo, is it AOC? Some people say it is some people say it isn't. We can for sure say that people are saying things, anyway here you go"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/sannewman/status/1083040243413069830?s=19

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Too late http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/ageless-love-story-john-abigail-adams/

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Faustian Bargain posted:

How about this instead?

Mm, I more want to approach it from the perspective of "why are you assuming that any given character is straight and that they have to have a reason to be gay?".

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

zoux posted:

The Soviet Union of Homophobia never dissolved.

Kind of odd since the Soviet Union was one of the first nations in the world to decriminalize homosexuality. Beating most western nations by something like 50 years.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Katt posted:

Kind of odd since the Soviet Union was one of the first nations in the world to decriminalize homosexuality. Beating most western nations by something like 50 years.

It's more that the official Russian narrative has heavily switched towards "if the West likes it, it's horrible and will rot your brain," and obviously the West likes homosexuals, so clearly they must be bad for you. It's not about actual homophobia as much as it is opposing everything that could be parsed as being on the West's agenda in any way.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PurpleXVI posted:

russia is a country with a spooky spy president for life who openly assassinates his critics, sets up false flag terrorist bombings that murder civilians in order to stir up support for the security apparatus, and engages in low key border warfare in defiance of international law. they shot down an airliner and won't even admit they did it, at least when the united states shot down an airliner we copped to it even if it was with lovely excuses

yeah i wouldn't protest in russia

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Katt posted:

Yeah, and look what happened to the Soviet Union :smuggo:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

EvilGenius posted:

Yeah, and look what happened to the Soviet Union :smuggo:

It resides in the hearts of all decent workers waiting to rise again?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If I didn't already know the NPC meme and all the dumb assumptions behind it, this comic would make no goddamn sense to me. Hell, it only barely makes sense now, in the sense that I kind of get what they were going for, but it doesn't demonstrate it all that well.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hyperhazard posted:

Just like the US who elected an authoritarian blowhard, I assume there are a good number of conservative* Russians who like the way things are, and have enough power to keep the status quo.

*I know the terms conservative/liberal have different connotations outside the US, but I don't know offhand what the Russian equivalents are

vvv Well that's loving depressing

Remember, their state-run TV is full of insane anti-homosexual propaganda there. They're basically drowning in indoctrination.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

unlike america

*watches fox news*

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

T-man posted:

unlike america

*watches fox news*

Still a biiig difference. I wouldn't live in Russia if I was straight.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

phasmid posted:

Still a biiig difference. I wouldn't live in Russia if I was straight.

Or Jewish

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or a member of Pussy Riot.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Indeed, they are a garbage people.

Have you seen their food?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Russians do have really lovely food.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
yeah i dont think anyone is really rushin' to live there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

phasmid posted:

I wouldn't live in Russia if I was straight.

same except I wouldn't want to live in either country

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

unlike america

*watches fox news*

It's a LOT more overt. I remember some clip with a Russian guy going on about how Sodom and Gomorrah were burnt with fire from above for homosexuality and we're just a step away from being burnt ourselves, it was... something else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think the country with 90% anti-gay marriage opinions and multiple enforced laws criminalizing homosexuals is remotely in the same ball park as the country with legalized gay marriage and ~2/3s approval of gay marriage, even if we still have some ways to go toward total equality.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

zoux posted:

I don't think the country with 90% anti-gay marriage opinions and multiple enforced laws criminalizing homosexuals is remotely in the same ball park as the country with legalized gay marriage and ~2/3s approval of gay marriage, even if we still have some ways to go toward total equality.

I think you'll find the truth is somewhere in the middle. :agesilaus:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

I think you'll find the truth is somewhere in the middle. :agesilaus:
:agreed: britain is the actual worst

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's a LOT more overt. I remember some clip with a Russian guy going on about how Sodom and Gomorrah were burnt with fire from above for homosexuality and we're just a step away from being burnt ourselves, it was... something else.

Errr...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jesus WEP posted:

Now now, that's not nice to say right before they become a post-apocalyptic dystopia.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Now now, that's not nice to say right before they become a post-apocalyptic dystopia.

Yeah, that would be a massive improvement for britain so we should see how they manage it first before judging

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jesus WEP posted:

I visited my hometown after moving out the country a few years ago (just before Brexit kicked off), and I saw what has been dubbed the invasion of 'spice zombies' all around town. All the good bars are closing because of massive rent hikes, probably from the people who own the buildings and generally based in London. Shut it all down.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

T-man posted:

unlike america

*watches fox news*

Fox News isn't state-run or the Republican Party's propaganda arm.

Fox News runs the state, and the Republican Party is Fox News' legislative arm.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I visited my hometown after moving out the country a few years ago (just before Brexit kicked off), and I saw what has been dubbed the invasion of 'spice zombies' all around town. All the good bars are closing because of massive rent hikes, probably from the people who own the buildings and generally based in London. Shut it all down.

THat's a really hosed up term for Fremen

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

PurpleXVI posted:

It's more that the official Russian narrative has heavily switched towards "if the West likes it, it's horrible and will rot your brain," and obviously the West likes homosexuals, so clearly they must be bad for you. It's not about actual homophobia as much as it is opposing everything that could be parsed as being on the West's agenda in any way.

actually that was always their standard. the west hates gays and doesnt want women working? we love gays and women working. the west loves nike we love adidas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1083117552048500736

https://twitter.com/PierceBuble/status/1083119180663193600

zoux has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Jan 9, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

THat's a really hosed up term for Fremen

Curse this new level of marketing for the new Villeneuve version.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Takoluka posted:

Back in the comic that confirmed Tracer as gay, Soldier 76 is seen looking at a framed photo of himself with his arm around some guy, followed by a panel of Reaper watching the woman who was presumably his wife from back then with a new family. It's not hard evidence by any stretch, but it didn't come completely out of nowhere, as opposed to going full Rowling on it.

This is my favourite part of this. They complain about it being shoehorned into the game but these details are only revealed in comics, that are specifically for people to read to learn more about the characters. If you just play the game you’d have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

*ahem*

The spelling and punctuation our awful