Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I love how they teased that Bruce Lee's daughter might maybe one day kind of step in the ring.

Also the weird way they would dress up for combat (Hakeem The Machine would like take off his fake cyber poo poo), or just hang out and bro out at the gym before being called to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
It's weird but cool how Star Trek: The Next Generation laid the groundwork for a LOT of 90's shows because it was the first(?) one to rely exclusively on syndication for revenue. All of a sudden you had a lot of studios cranking out hour-block action shows made on the cheap to get those sweet, sweet syndication dollars. Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, a bunch of interchangeable sci-fi shows, generic contemporary action wanderer #452...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched so much of syndicated tv back then. The Crow series, ST:TNG, Highlander, Xena...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Live action Pokémon onstage commercial.

I can’t decide if this is awful or if it owns.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoWD7ARe9s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ryonguy posted:

It's weird but cool how Star Trek: The Next Generation laid the groundwork for a LOT of 90's shows because it was the first(?) one to rely exclusively on syndication for revenue. All of a sudden you had a lot of studios cranking out hour-block action shows made on the cheap to get those sweet, sweet syndication dollars. Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, a bunch of interchangeable sci-fi shows, generic contemporary action wanderer #452...

I assume this is also why Highlander existed.

I really loved that cheese-fest. And Xena, heck

poo poo I just agreed with Randaconda twice here

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

I assume this is also why Highlander existed.

I really loved that cheese-fest. And Xena, heck

:glomp:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

syscall girl posted:

There are worse shitposters you could agree with.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

There are worse shitposters you could agree with.

:kiddo:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact: Caine's son in Kung Fu: The Legend Continues was also Gambit in X-Men the animated series.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: Caine's son in Kung Fu: The Legend Continues was also Gambit in X-Men the animated series.

well poo poo

i was today years old when i learned this

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I appreciate that you don't use one of the three or four smilies named for you.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

I appreciate that you don't use one of the three or four smilies named for you.

hell, i didn't make or buy them

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

hell, i didn't make or buy them

I know, you just became an odd cult of personality

no hate

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Did anyone else play this?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Bobby Digital posted:

God did I ever. I annoyed the poo poo out of my brothers by playing Shadow and spamming clones the entire time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

I know, you just became an odd cult of personality

no hate

i think people just really liked the fat jag avatar

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Oh god, the headaches I gave myself with this thing (especially after I accidentally left the stand somewhere and just had to use my face to press the entire thing against the arm of a chair or whatever to use it.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

I swear I thought this girl's Tiny Toons shirt said "Lets Fart".

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Chrysophylax posted:

God did I ever. I annoyed the poo poo out of my brothers by playing Shadow and spamming clones the entire time

My dad deleted my super high level Shadow because he could never beat me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Still one of the most fun games ever made.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That Eurotrash post reminded me of the huge numbers of, I guess sexual lifestyle programs? Real Sex is the best example. Maybe some stuff was good, but almost all the segments were about some fetish thing, and its not really fun to watch people get spanked over and over. I do remember a segment on "Creating an Erotic CD-ROM" which in itself sounds 90s as gently caress because I don't think anyone seriously used CD-ROM since the turn of the century. Anyways, it was a bunch of old hippies in an apartment that probably smells like patchouli moaning at a microphone shaped like a head.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

I never liked the actual game that much but I kept it installed so I could crank up the theme music :allears:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Bobby Digital posted:

So so so much!

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Found some old childhood photos, hope they're ok to post.

Remember officially licencd store-bought Halloween costumes looking NOTHING like what they're based on? They usually made up for it by putting a picture of the original character directly on the costume so everybody knows who you're supposed to be.

Ah yes, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, well known for wearing frilly pink dresses with her own face on them. Also using a wand?

Timestamp for this one says February of 2000 but having a birthday party at McDonalds and receiving a framed drawing of Sailor Moon as a present is still pretty 90's.

I still have it hanging up :3:

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Cartoon Man posted:

This was the best Beavis and Butthead music video featuring the most 90’s song of all time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8jWiWtIa01c

I always thought this was the most 90's of the videos featured on Beavis and Butthead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMckjwEwsrw

EvilGenius posted:

Any UK goons over 30 or so will remember watching Eurotrash with the door shut. Was essentially 'here's some weird sex things happening in European countries'. I'm sure there were other topics, but I don't remember.

When I moved to the UK in '97 they'd play it late at nights on Channel 4. I think it was all reruns by then. Back on Christmas day, my kids were talking about 90's stuff so I remembered the Army of Lovers segment on Eurotrash and shows my kids some AoL videos for peak 90's Eurotrash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ehC2gNaBo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

An infomercial for Apple Computer starring Squints from The Sandlot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fM2WY3128

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh gently caress noooo that's the dumb commercial that sold me on the Performa.

"How many megs?"
"I knew you were a power user"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

burial posted:

Oh god, the headaches I gave myself with this thing (especially after I accidentally left the stand somewhere and just had to use my face to press the entire thing against the arm of a chair or whatever to use it.

I would play WarioLand for what seemed like hours on the store displays that nobody else was interested in, and nobody bothered to set it to reset after a set period of time. I must be the only one who didn't hate the Virtual Boy, but I never got one.

Pasketti posted:

Remember officially licencd store-bought Halloween costumes looking NOTHING like what they're based on? They usually made up for it by putting a picture of the original character directly on the costume so everybody knows who you're supposed to be.

Ah yes, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, well known for wearing frilly pink dresses with her own face on them. Also using a wand?

Still better than the vinyl smocks of the '80s. Why yes, Cy-Kill, leader of the Renegade GoBots wore red plastic pants and had a face that didn't match the portrait on his plastic shirt that ties up in the back t:mad:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bobby Digital posted:

My goodness yes. That game was so much fun.

Well, at least until I figured out how to use the Katana to shove somebody into the corner and just mash them to death with one particular light attack. Fun as it was that game had some...flaws.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Still better than the vinyl smocks of the '80s. Why yes, Cy-Kill, leader of the Renegade GoBots wore red plastic pants and had a face that didn't match the portrait on his plastic shirt that ties up in the back t:mad:

ok yeah I just looked up 80's halloween costumes and I have no right to complain, yikes.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Me circa 1996 trying to show something I made on Crystal Flying Fonts (my name in 3D I guess).

I'd still wear that t-shirt

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
80s costumes could be repurposed for a slasher film. The loving smocks were even plastic.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was in a store a few days ago and they had a Packard Bell laptop. That's the 90s PC IP you want to bring back to a nostalgic consumer base.

Just release lovely knockoff laptop called a Tandy and I'd probably be more tempted to grab it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I would play WarioLand for what seemed like hours on the store displays that nobody else was interested in, and nobody bothered to set it to reset after a set period of time. I must be the only one who didn't hate the Virtual Boy, but I never got one.

Oh, I didn’t hate it! I played through the pain for as long as I could. The screen just did horrible things to my eyes for whatever reason. Migraine city.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

twistedmentat posted:

I think most cable channels were just random stuff in the early days. I mean, there's that Simpsons episode where the Cable Ace award goes to old Starsky and Hutch episodes.

There was a throwaway joke in that episode about "accepting this award is the son of the guy who played Huggy Bear". In real life, the son of the guy who played Huggy Bear, Justin Fargas, grew up to play in the NFL.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Woodstock '94 and Woodstock '99.

One seemed to be a well-received event, then the other turned into a hell on Earth. I wished I cared more about both at the time to really pay attention to the marketing and development and execution of both.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JediTalentAgent posted:

Woodstock '94 and Woodstock '99.

One seemed to be a well-received event, then the other turned into a hell on Earth. I wished I cared more about both at the time to really pay attention to the marketing and development and execution of both.

Woodstock '94 was pretty drat good, from what I remember. They showed some of it on Mtv, from what I recall.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here is an amusing Twitter thread in which comic book artist Ramon Villalobos watches Woodstock 99:

https://twitter.com/RamonVillalobos/status/1078272245921808386

Edit: My favourite entry:

https://twitter.com/RamonVillalobos/status/1078303688857284608

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is he posting an article?