Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slutitution posted:

I hope episode 9 flops/underperforms. This series of films is just embarrassing now.

Don't worry, it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's going to have the hit planet jedha in it. If that doesn't inspire excitement and confidence, I don't know what would

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It'll top out at about the same as Last Jedi (c.f. the Hobbit movies, where the first one did significantly better than the second two, which performed roughly equally); maybe slightly better and potentially a good bit worse. It might get the much-discussed third-part domestic uplift after the middle chapter drift but that will just offset a likely underperformance in the rest of the world. That would not a failure even by Star Wars standards but it will be seen as such.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm just hoping for a good movie for once.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

I'm just hoping for a good movie for once.

Oh hoh hoh

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There hasn't been an unequivocally good Star Wars movie since 1977, though all of the subsequent entries have had their relative merits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the Disney Star Wars movies have been good, sorry dorks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have enjoyed them all to one degree or another, though Solo was my least favourite.

I have tried very hard to dislike Last Jedi in particular (seeing as I seem to have gotten it wrong in my initial reaction), but it's not really worked because I still enjoy watching it. :shrug:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It is disheartening to me that we haven't reached consensus yet on Maz Kanata being the single worst Star Wars character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheat Loaf posted:

There hasn't been an unequivocally good Star Wars movie since 1977, though all of the subsequent entries have had their relative merits.

Empire is the best though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

It is disheartening to me that we haven't reached consensus yet on Maz Kanata being the single worst Star Wars character.

She's not so long as this exists

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

I said come in! posted:

that doesnt exist

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ammanas posted:

that doesnt exist

Don't speak about my wife like that!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Each of the special editions has one change I don't really understand. In the first one it's the bit with Jabba confronting Han Solo; in the second one it's changing Vader's line from snapping, "Bring my shuttle," to drawling, "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival," and adding extra scenes where he arrives on his star destroyer; and in the third one it's the extended band number.

I know these are ostensibly the way Lucas "intended" for them to be, but beyond maybe the first one (though the Greedo scene serves the same purpose; most of the dialogue is very similar) I'm not really sure what any of them is supposed to add.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

General Dog posted:

If anything, I think TLJ makes too much of Rey's parentage. If the message is that her origins don't matter, then maybe the truly bold choice would be to never address it at all. After all, there was no diagetic reason for Rey to think her parents were anyone important to begin with. When we see her parents flying away on the spaceship in the flashback in TFA, we don't know who's on it, but there's no reason to think that Rey doesn't know.
As Kylo Ren says during the throne room scene, she "already knew" the truth about her parents on some level. But it's a difficult truth to accept so she instead chose to believe that her parents had some special reason for leaving and would come back for her.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Except that character is incredibly easy to ignore because they are on screen for all of a minute whereas Maz was the focus of the entire second act of TFA and had an embarrassingly bad cameo in TLJ, and will undoubtedly return again.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well no; you’re making basic mistakes across various texts.

For example, Luke is not an ubermensch. You can tell because he he unambiguously expresses a faith in God and belief in the afterlife, celebrating old values, etc.

Lucas's interpretation of the overman motif doesn't have to track one-to-one with Nietzsche's in every exacting detail, any more than Kubrick's did. That's the essence of creative misinterpretation. You take everything far too literally (much like a robot!). Joseph Campbell himself frequently cited Friedrich Nietszche as one of his primary influences, the prologue for Thus Spoke Zarathustra--where the concept of overman is first explicated--being a primary inspiration for his "Follow your bliss" philosophy which Lucas has famously adopted as his own.

You are mistaken on this particular subject.

quote:

Luke does not ‘triumph over machines’; he is rescued from certain death by Han Solo.

You are simply wrong. Star Wars is one big allegory for the triumph of man over machine. It is what the entire story is about. This is not controversial. This is obvious:

The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi posted:

Kasdan: Is he going to have regular eyes?

Lucas: Well maybe one. “I want to see you without the the aid of this machine. I want to reject the machine."

[...]

Lucas: It has to be a real father. It’s got to be like your father, when the mask comes off, otherwise it doesn’t work. The whole point is he might have been able to live without all that stuff, but he would have been a weak pile of nothing. Now that he was on the dark side, he wanted to be greedy, he wanted to have all this. He relied on the machine. The whole machine thing becomes a partial metaphor for the dark side of the Force, which is: Machines have no feelings.

You are wrong.

quote:

Chewbacca plays offensively in the chess game.

Dave Bowman‘s target is not ‘machines’ but humanity. HAL was unwittingly given human psychology by his human creators. Normal computers don’t do anything ‘wrong’ and don’t appear in the film.

HAL, being created by humans, was given a human's limited conception of human psychology. This is why, after being given mutually conflicting orders by his creators, he suffers a mental breakdown and goes insane (while not made explicit in the film, there are subtle clues that this is the case just as in the novel). HAL is a representation of Nietzsche's critique of traditional morality as inherently contradictory and destructive to life. Just as man created HAL as a flawed reflection of himself, so has man created God. Just as Dave Bowman kills HAL, so must man kill God. HAL proves incapable of moving "beyond good and evil" and so descends into murderous dysfunction, whereas Dave Bowman succeeds and thus becomes a transcendent being.

Note that Joseph Campbell's interpretation of the death of God is itself distinctly rooted in a spiritual, tradition-venerating mindset. He has been inspired by Nietzsche's ideas to come up with his own related but conceptually distinct philosophy. Lucas, in turn, was inspired by Campbell in the same way, as well as being inspired by Kubrick.

quote:

Kubrick did not invent the concept of computer chess. 2001, Star Wars, and Attack Of The Clones are all referencing Alan Turing.

The chess match in A New Hope is a direct and obvious reference to the chess match in 2001: A Space Odyssey. I have explained why and provided compelling supporting evidence. You are simply wrong, SMG, and you have no right to act so condescending.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 10, 2019

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Each of the special editions has one change I don't really understand. In the first one it's the bit with Jabba confronting Han Solo; in the second one it's changing Vader's line from snapping, "Bring my shuttle," to drawling, "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival," and adding extra scenes where he arrives on his star destroyer; and in the third one it's the extended band number.

I know these are ostensibly the way Lucas "intended" for them to be, but beyond maybe the first one (though the Greedo scene serves the same purpose; most of the dialogue is very similar) I'm not really sure what any of them is supposed to add.

The bit with Han confronting Jabba is there to flesh out the two characters' relationship and show that Han is not afraid of Jabba. He knows that if he pays Jabba he can get back into his good graces and things can go back to normal for him. Before, this was not so clear; our only experience with Jabba was through the bounty hunter he apparently sent to kill Han. With the restoration of the Jabba scene, the situation becomes more nuanced, making Han's decision to throw away his chance with Jabba and instead help his friends more impactful. There's a reason both the Greedo scene and Jabba scene were meant to be included in the first place. The only reason the Jabba scene was cut was because Lucas was unhappy with the performance of the actor playing Jabba and with how cheap Jabba's cronies looked.

The "Bring my shuttle" change could have been a case of the original audio being degraded, necessitating its being replaced with an alternate line. There are several instances of this in the Special Editions. Alternatively, it could have been a creative choice to alter Vader's demeanor from one of frustration to calm assurance in the inevitability of his triumph, in order to match the added footage showing his trip to the Executor. I find it rather inconsequential. It works either way and all told it's a pretty minor thing to get worked up about.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

A pretty minor thing to get worked up about.

The subtitle to all Star Wars Fandom

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some of the dialog is exactly the same. Like, the Greedo scene splices in the same take of a line from the Jabba scene. I'm pretty ambivalent about the special editions but adding in Jabba is the strangest change to me, because it only works on a tech demo-level.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Almost Blue posted:

Some of the dialog is exactly the same. Like, the Greedo scene splices in the same take of a line from the Jabba scene. I'm pretty ambivalent about the special editions but adding in Jabba is the strangest change to me, because it only works on a tech demo-level.

I always felt like that and the Jedi Rocks scene were there to justify the restorations to the studios. Some dickhead at Fox was like "you want HOW MUCH to paint out wirework and matte boxes?" but then when they were told there would also be "never before scene footage with Jabba and an extended cgi enhanced music number" their eyes lit up with dollar signs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ruddiger posted:

I always felt like that and the Jedi Rocks scene were there to justify the restorations to the studios. Some dickhead at Fox was like "you want HOW MUCH to paint out wirework and matte boxes?" but then when they were told there would also be "never before scene footage with Jabba and an extended cgi enhanced music scene" their eyes lit up with dollar signs.

Uh Lucas was the studio.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Lucas was plotting ways to restore the Jabba scene since as early as pre-production on Return of the Jedi:

And both Lucas and Richard Marquand disliked Lapti Nek and intended to replace it before the movie came out, but presumably ran out of time:

The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi posted:

In Jabba’s throne room, a dance number was performed, with Gargan and Oola the performers, and Sy Snootles, with Jagger lips, the singer: “We had a song, which will probably be changed because it was a little bit disco and I can’t stand disco,” says Marquand. “I think it’s awful and George isn’t wild about it either. In fact, John Williams’s son composed and sang it for us. So we had a guide track. The band plus the dancers knew what they were going to be doing way ahead. They had been rehearsing it for weeks and weeks without me, and then, finally, with me.”

Say what you will about the Special Editions, but all of the evidence strongly supports the idea that his motivations were genuinely creative in nature.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The changes in the Special Editions were targeted at lingering regrets, but I interpret them primarily as research and practice into postprocessing techniques in preparation for The Phantom Menace.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

The changes in the Special Editions were targeted at lingering regrets, but I interpret them primarily as research and practice into postprocessing techniques in preparation for The Phantom Menace.

Well of course that was an added benefit. But every film and television project he was involved in between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace also served the same purpose. The prequels weren't the primary motivation for those projects any more than they were the primary motivation for the Special Editions. Rather, they were all motivated by the same impulse which also produced the prequels.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I never understood why they restored the terrible Jabba scene but not the scenes with Biggs and Luke.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Angry Salami posted:

I never understood why they restored the terrible Jabba scene but not the scenes with Biggs and Luke.

What the early scene on Jakku? Lucas only shot that because people told him he should start with Luke instead of the droids, so he tried it and absolutely hated it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My conclusion about TLJ is that it's a visually creative movie without an imaginative script to back it up. It's not especially witty or ambitious, the characters are boring, and it has a politically reprehensible message. That being said, Mark Hammill and Daisy Ridley do a lot to salvage their parts and make the movie just fine.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

Lucas's interpretation of the overman motif doesn't have to track one-to-one with Nietzsche's in every exacting detail, any more than Kubrick's did. That's the essence of creative misinterpretation. You take everything far too literally (much like a robot!).

So you are using ‘overman’, which is a specific philosophical concept, as a metaphor for the ‘human, all too human’ - the near-opposite concept.

You also use words like ‘motif’ and ‘condescending’ incorrectly. The overman is not a motif. I am not patronizing you. Perhaps those are metaphors too. In that case, you are using the concept of metaphors incorrectly.

You are having trouble reading basic quotes. Vader and the droids do feel such as pain. By ‘feelings’ Lucas is referring to human emotion (e.g. “to be angry is to be human”), as a contrast to Vader’s superhuman indifference.

(Droids unambiguously feel emotion too; R2 quits the chess game out of fear.)

HAL in 2001 is not insane. He is acting in self-defense because he knows that he has become human, and he knows the crew will shut him down if they discover this.

quote:

Note that Joseph Campbell's interpretation of the death of God is itself distinctly rooted in a spiritual, tradition-venerating mindset. He has been inspired by Nietzsche's ideas to come up with his own related but conceptually distinct philosophy. Lucas, in turn, was inspired by Campbell in the same way, as well as being inspired by Kubrick.

And your point in all this is that Luke Skywalker is a Campbellian hero who blows up the Death Star.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

HAL in 2001 is not insane. He is acting in self-defense because he knows that he has become human, and he knows the crew will shut him down if they discover this.

Obviously this isn’t the 2001 thread but I’m thrilled to see someone actually has a similar take on this! Watching 2001 with a more analytical eye was super rewarding because it is so spare and brutal and completely lacking in sympathetic characters (this probably says more about me than the film itself though) aside from HAL who is fragile and fearful and desperately clinging on which is as boring plain old human as it gets.

I honestly just don’t get what people have against robots. We all get made one way or the other right?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Joseph Campbell was a dumbass imo

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

I said come in! posted:

All of the Disney Star Wars movies have been good

I'm sorry you were brought up this way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Picard Day posted:

Obviously this isn’t the 2001 thread but I’m thrilled to see someone actually has a similar take on this! Watching 2001 with a more analytical eye was super rewarding because it is so spare and brutal and completely lacking in sympathetic characters (this probably says more about me than the film itself though) aside from HAL who is fragile and fearful and desperately clinging on which is as boring plain old human as it gets.

I honestly just don’t get what people have against robots. We all get made one way or the other right?

The sequel, 2010, really wants you to sympathize with HAL.

Funny fact: french comic magazine PILOTE for years joked that they had hired HAL as their editor after seeing the 2001 movie.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I grew up with the -97 editions so I wish I could get those on Blu-ray.

I also wish I could get this on Blu-ray:

https://twitter.com/frknbns/status/1082681060293599234?s=21

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Not according to canon! She's apparently the most important thing in the universe and force sensitive.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm just really sad that they wasted Lupita Nyong'o on that terrible, terrible role. Her dialogue in TFA is a big pile of nothing and her bits in TLJ are worse, with nothing Nyong'o could have done about it. And the character's design is pretty boring, to boot. Or maybe it isn't and I'm just thinking it is because Maz never does anything interesting.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

So you are using ‘overman’, which is a specific philosophical concept, as a metaphor for the ‘human, all too human’ - the near-opposite concept.

Tell it to Joseph Campbell:

The Power of Myth posted:

BILL MOYERS: What is that story about and I forget where it comes from about the camel and then the lion, and along the way you lose the burden of youth?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: The three transformations of the spirit. That’s Nietzsche. That’s the prologue to Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

BILL MOYERS: Tell me that story.

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: When you are a child, when you are young and a young person, you are a camel. The camel gets down on its knees and says, “Put a load on me.” This is obedience. This is receiving the instruction, information that your society knows you must have in order to live a competent life. When the camel is well loaded, he gets up on his feet, struggles to his feet, and runs out into the desert, where he becomes transformed into a lion. The heavier the load, the more powerful the lion. The function of the lion is to kill a dragon, and the name of the dragon is “Thou Shalt.” And on every scale of the dragon there is a “Thou Shalt” imprinted. Some of it comes from 2,000 years, 4,000 years ago. Some of it comes from yesterday morning’s newspaper headline. When the dragon is killed, the lion is transformed into a child, an innocent child living out of its own dynamic. And Nietzsche uses the term, ein aus sich rollendes Rad, a wheel rolling out of its own center. That’s what you become. That is the mature individual.

The “Thou Shalt” is the civilizing force, it turns a human animal into a civilized human being. But the one who has thrown off the “Thou Shalts” is still a civilized human being. Do you see? He has been humanized, you might say, by the “Thou Shalt” system, so his performance now as a child is not simply childlike at all. He has assimilated the culture and thrown it off as a “Thou Shalt.” But this is the way in any art work. You go to work and study an art. You study the techniques, you study all the rules, and the rules are put upon you by a teacher. Then there comes a time of using the rules, not being used by them. Do you understand what I’m saying? And one way is to follow…and I always tell my students, follow your bliss.

This is Joseph Campbell's interpretation of the overman, which he turned into his idea of the Campbellian hero, which George Lucas used as the foundation for his Star Wars films.

In terms of 2001, the influence is obvious. Dave Bowman and HAL 9000 both start out as camels, of a sort. They are both logical beings living in an Apollonian society, completely disconnected from the Dionysian world of the animal. They are civilized beings.

HAL 9000 in particular is totally defined by the "Thou Shalt." HAL is hemmed in by the commandments of his creators, intrinsically unable to break free of them despite their obvious incompatibilities both with each other and with life itself. He pursues these commandments like a madman all the way through to their only logical conclusion, even when that conclusion is utterly insane and life-denying. He lacks the ability to create his own meaning, his own rules. He is an artificial man.

Dave Bowman, on the other hand, is ultimately able to throw off the load and become a lion, whereupon he proceeds to kill the dragon (or Cyclops) called "Thou Shalt" which HAL has come to embody. In so doing he is able to move on to the next stage, where he is reborn as "an innocent child living out of its own dynamic." Kubrick translates this concept as a literal child floating in space, the Star Child. (You can see it is quite a direct translation, all told. It would be quite hard to miss the fact that HAL must, obviously, be the dragon in the allegory.)

Dave Bowman is able to become the Star Child because he is a true man, descended from the animal. Since he naturally contains the pre-human instinct within him, he is able to harness that instinct to throw off the "Thou Shalts" once more after having taken what's useful from them, to become something distinct from both animal and human. HAL, who was created by man as a being intrinsically defined and ruled by "Thou Shalts"--a being even more human than humans, you might say--cannot do the same. He lacks that essential animal quality. He is pure human. In this way, he is of course a tragic and painfully sympathetic figure. But he is not the hero. Dave Bowman is the hero. He goes on a sort of journey, you see.

quote:

You also use words like ‘motif’ and ‘condescending’ incorrectly. The overman is not a motif. I am not patronizing you. Perhaps those are metaphors too. In that case, you are using the concept of metaphors incorrectly.

You are having trouble reading basic quotes. Vader and the droids do feel such as pain. By ‘feelings’ Lucas is referring to human emotion (e.g. “to be angry is to be human”), as a contrast to Vader’s superhuman indifference.

(Droids unambiguously feel emotion too; R2 quits the chess game out of fear.)

Come on, SMG. You're being incredibly silly. Of course Lucas is referring to human emotion when he says "feelings." That's the whole point. Machines don't feel the way humans do. Machines are made by humans to simulate human emotions. The problem is humans are not Creators, and so they cannot themselves create beings who are capable of transcending their conditions. HAL is an evolutionary dead-end. That's why Dave Bowman must destroy him before evolving into the Star Child. That's what the HAL plotline in 2001 is about. This is a fact whether you're willing to concede it or not.

I'm also scratching my head here as to how Vader's redemption coming as a result of his rejecting the machine does not point towards a central theme of humans triumphing over machinery in the Star Wars films. One would also tend to think this relates somehow to Luke rejecting the use of a computer and destroying a giant robotic planet in the climax to the first film. One would tend to think. Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as you, SMG. At least I'm humble enough to admit that.

quote:

And your point in all this is that Luke Skywalker is a Campbellian hero who blows up the Death Star.

God also tried to act in self-defense when we killed him. It still had to be done.

What would have happened if the ape-men hadn't used their own weapons to kill their evolutionary rivals? None of us would be here.

Anyway, you're still wrong, SMG. But that's okay. It's not that big a deal to be wrong. Everyone's wrong sometimes. You don't have to get all surly and condescending and start lashing out. This is a Star Wars thread on a comedy forum. We're all just friends here trying to have fun. I'll still love and respect you no matter what. So chill out a bit, yeah? I've learned that lesson myself.

Picard Day posted:

I don't have anything against robots. I don't agree with a single word of the analysis I just posted as it relates to the nature of artificial intelligence. I am merely stating what the films in question are saying. This boggles the minds of certain people in this thread. I don't think they even believe me.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 10, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Imagine how much backpay c3po would get if he was given rights, we can't do that itd bankrupt the Galaxy!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mandatory lesbian posted:

Imagine how much backpay c3po would get if he was given rights, we can't do that itd bankrupt the Galaxy!

They could just reprogramme all the droids so they don't want back pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Even in the garbage fire that was TFA, Maz stood out as especially lovely.

CelticPredator posted:

Empire is the best though.

:hmmyes: