Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chief Savage Man posted:

Hi, all, my name is Chief Savage Man. In 2011, I purchased 120 games on Steam and completed 8. In 2018, I purchased 7 games on Steam and completed 5. I believe in the rest of you that you can achieve what I have achieved.

However, I might have a new problem...

I've bought all of these since September and finished one. :eng99:

Was it Shadow of the Colossus? If it wasn't Shadow of the Colossus, you need to get on that. That game is relatively short and amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so err ... I was going to buy a steam code for someone but if they're not already in your friends list, you can not send a steam gift, is that right?

How does one get a gift to someone not already on steam?!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chief Savage Man posted:

Hi, all, my name is Chief Savage Man. In 2011, I purchased 120 games on Steam and completed 8. In 2018, I purchased 7 games on Steam and completed 5. I believe in the rest of you that you can achieve what I have achieved.

However, I might have a new problem...

I've bought all of these since September and finished one. :eng99:
Just one at a time, you'll get through it. I would start with Arkham VR because it's the shortest and it's not the greatest, so you'll be ready for a lengthier, better game after. It's got nice environmental presence, but the story of the game takes place before Arkham Knight so if you played that game, you will probably know the twists before they happen.

Then maybe do Uncharted 4 because it's not a sprawling open-world game, it's big but linear, and a lot of fun.

After that, I think any of the BIG games would be fine to really dig into (AC Origins, Horizon, Spiderman, Dragons Dogma) because you'll have gotten a couple of games finished and it'll be fine to just soak in one big game for a while

maybe I shouldn't project my own methods on to others though

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Spiderman is the one I beat because that's what I bought the PS4 for. Starting with Arkham VR is a good suggestion, thanks.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Okay well that didn't take long.

Beaten: Batman Arkham VR

That was... fine, mostly due to the novelty to me of the VR headset and my Batman doing jerkoff motions in the in game mirrors because I'm a grown child. Glad it didn't take too long.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 31, 2018

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
There's no better cure for the backlog than having a few days off from work, and no other plans than chilling out.

Finished: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey + Legacy of the First Blade DLC
Basically the best AC game ever.

Finished: Avalon Legends Solitaire
An OK Solitaire game, though old enough to show signs of it. I would still go with Regency Solitaire though.
Did everything except finish the last level (10 games), as the tasks were tough and the layouts of those games meant you needed a lot of luck to clear them. Tried 3 or 4 times and decided enough is enough.

Finished: Crossroad Mysteries: The Broken Deal
Hidden Object game

Finished: Donut Country
I got this in the gift train thread.
Very fun and chill Katamari-style game.
Amusing story, simple but fun gameplay and done in less than 2 hours.
All levels can be replayed separately after finishing the game, if you want to get all achievements (some of them contains extra story segments).

Nulled: I.F.O.
Bundle fodder that's a Game & Watch version of the old arcade game Time Pilot.

Nulled: ORCS
From the same bundle, it's an 8-bit platformer.

Finished: Paperbark
Saw this mentioned in the Steam thread and instantly fell in love with it. Here's my Steam review:
"A very chill, beautiful and relaxing wombat walking simulator.

Lovely watercolor artwork, sound effects, atmospheric soundtrack, and an extremely cute and very nicely animated wombat.

It doesn't take long to finish the game, even if you hunt for all the collectibles, but it's just such a nice game, that I have already played through it several times.
Also a good game for kids (no violence or scary scenes)."

Nulled: Pixelpunk XL
Bundle fodder spaceship tunnel shooter or such.

Finished: Strange Brigade + campaign DLCs
Kragger and I played through this co-op shooter by the Sniper Elite developer.
Both the main campaign and the DLC campaign were great fun to play. Plenty of different weapons and abilities, fun enemies and great atmosphere.

Finished: We Were Here Too
A really good indie co-op game. It's sort of like a series of escape rooms, where you have to work together with a partner in another room, describing what you see, and your partner needs to take action, or vice versa.
In the last room you are finally together and need to figure out how to escape, either both of you or if one is cruel enough to leave the other behind.
We played it twice to experience all the puzzles from both sides, which basically doubled the enjoyment of the game.
A tip is to skip the Walkie Talkie gimmick of the game, and just communicate via Discord.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
The only gaming I could do over the holidays was on my 3DS. I spent it denting my remaining DS/3DS backlog. Unfortunately for me, I also got given three more 3DS games, albeit in a way that made me think that my benefactor wasn't really sure what to get.

NEW GAME: Dragon Quest VIII. Heard this one was decent, even though I haven't played a Dragon Quest since the first one for the NES. I'll probably end up at least poking at it some.
NEW GAME: Final Fantasy Explorers. Pretty low metascore, seems to have a multiplayer focus. This may go NULL swiftly after evaluation.
NEW GAME: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call. The surprise hit of the three; a pretty fun little rhythm game/Final Fantasy jukebox with an excuse for pretending to have a tiny procgen RPG on top of it.

BEATEN: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call. After ten hours or so it will give you a "final boss" and roll the credits and then you can keep playing for a hundred more if you want to keep unlocking concept art or whatever. I don't, really, but this grabbed me enough on lazy vacation days that I needed to get permission from it to move on in the form of that credit roll.

BEATEN: Time Ace. Hilariously bad Starfox-style chase-scrolling shmup for the DS. Notable mainly for not being Time Pilot, having lengthy loading screens despite being a DS cartridge, having pretty large and detailed areas to fly through (likely part of that loading screen stuff), having everyone pronounce the villain's name, Dr. Scythe, as "Doctor Skeethe", and having the villain defeated in the second to last level, with the final level being you sinking Atlantis despite them explicitly having done nothing wrong and being very proud of yourself afterwards. Good job, Dr. Clock. You did it.

PLAYING: Shiren the Wanderer. DS remake of the SNES Shiren 1. It's a really good roguelike. I got nowhere in this back when I got it like ten years ago; this time I've gotten into the groove of how the game works now and I've managed to get pretty close to the end of the main dungeon, but I'm still getting wrecked pretty hard by it. I may end up having to NULL this one for my own sanity after one final serious attempt.

PLAYING: Paper Mario. I'm in Chapter 6. Based on obvious plot tokens I'm guessing there's only 8 or 9 chapters. Having fun with this.

Oh yeah, also.

NEW GAME: Super Mario Odyssey.
NEW GAME: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

If I let myself I'll lose infinite time into those. I want to finish what I've started first, or at least finish Paper Mario and get Shiren to a decent stopping point.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ManxomeBromide posted:

BEATEN: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call. After ten hours or so it will give you a "final boss" and roll the credits and then you can keep playing for a hundred more if you want to keep unlocking concept art or whatever. I don't, really, but this grabbed me enough on lazy vacation days that I needed to get permission from it to move on in the form of that credit roll.

You get the medley and credits and such at 20k Rhythmia, but there's a bonus final "battle" and track which is unlocked at 40k.

Incidentally I recently hit 300k Rhythmia at 200 hours in which is the end of non-repeating unlocks. Playing that game in online multiplayer back at release was some of the most fun I've had in any game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Onrush

I never play multiplayer games but I've really been into Onrush, since it came in a PS plus thing, maybe...or a bundle. I'm not sure. I know I didn't set out to buy it. It's basically a destruction derby except you're always going forward, but you're not racing, because your speed is determined by the other players' proximity. It's kinda like a dumber Burnout. Their servers are often down, and the game frequently aborts a race halfway through joining it, and a lot of times it disconnects you from the server when the match ends but it doesn't count it for anyone so it was all kind of a waste of time. I mean, unless you enjoyed it. Which I thought I did, but I've come to realize that the difference between winning and losing in this game is just flipping a coin. I am good at this game; and I know that sounds like I'm bragging, but I suck at most games that require a controller. I don't know, I got used to this game for some reason and it clicks with me. Not that going from ignorant to good in this game takes any time at all -- but what I mean is, I know how the cars feel, I get the terrain for the most part, and I am often the MVP of any match and if not that then at least number one on my team.

But that's where I'm finding it very discouraging. According to my stats, I am a really, really good player. My ratio of takedowns vs wrecks is good, I have scored a huge amount of points for my team, etc. But my win percentage is 53%! Like, this is what is so frustrating. Almost every single time my team loses, I am the highest scorer, and often the MVP of the match (it's hard to do that on the losing team as points count so much toward it).

But here's what I'm getting at: it's only when my team wins when I am not in the first or second place. Often times, I am at the bottom! So, here's what I think it's doing. I think its stupid matchmaking bullshit is pairing me up on newcomers or just bad players. Like, it has levels, right? So maybe after it loads a bunch of people the server is like oh poo poo the average is really low on this team, throw this high level player in there.

It's goddamn discouraging to blaze through a really great round, like something for the highlight reel, a real smorgasbord of artistic carnage, completed flawlessly, only to discover you not only lost, but like, the other team scored four times as many points. The first fifty or so rounds I played, I blazed through the rankings. It was win nonstop. But I guess those were all evenly low level. I don't know. I am five ranks from the final spot and I thought that's where I would say I "beat" the game, but this last 5% of the climb is taking 80% of the time because it's just a goddamn loving back and forth win and lose bullshit cycle.

Well, anyway, my name is credburn on there if any of you jerks want to get mad with me.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Okay I'm going to try and list what I have currently installed, that I should try and beat:

• Jydge
  • CrossCode
  • House of the Dying Sun
  • This Strange Realm of Mine
  • Desync
  • School Girl/Zombie Hunter
  • A Hat In Time
  • Transformers: Devastation
  • Ruiner
  • Tales of Bersaria
  • Vanquish
  • Dragon Quest Heroes II*
  • Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • The Evil Within 2
  • The Witcher 3
  • Dishonored 2
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Dead Rising 4**
  • Nioh

*This was sitting on my hard-drive forever but a lovely 'stealth' quest roadblocked me from getting unique gear. After about a year and a half I looked up how to do it and completed it earlier today, so I'll keep playing the game now
**I want to like this game but it is woefully unstable. I also just got State of Decay 2 over a month ago so I might just nix this in favor of more fun (but 'endless'/continuous) zombie mayhem

As I mentioned before, I'm trying to pull myself out of the fun but stagnating loop of AC:Odyssey, Elite: Dangerous, Gems of War, and so on. It is dangerously easy to just put on podcasts or music and chill with those until my next work shift...but goddamn it, I gotta move past this, somehow!

So a couple of questions

1) I suppose that right now I'm most active in Nioh and DQH2 in trying to get to the end. They are both big, long games however. Should I cycle in one or two more games? Maybe a shorter one (Like Hat in Time or House of the Dying Sun)? What do you all think?
2) Do you folks do any sort of scheduling or time management? Or just hop into one of those games whenever you feel like?
3) Should I put any time into managing my old but still kickass Backloggery page with this new set of games?

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I'd bring in House of the Dying Sun if you want a shift from games like Nioh and DQ which require a bit to get "into". Dying Sun is a good game for short bursts and isn't all that long if you don't plan on maxing all mission ratings.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Morter posted:

2) Do you folks do any sort of scheduling or time management? Or just hop into one of those games whenever you feel like?

I schedule my gaming, but that's because I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old at home and my entire life is scheduled. In the time before kids, I would just play whatever and whenever.

I also haven't properly beat a game since August, so I may not be the best role model in here. Spider-Man came out and took priority over whatever I had been playing, and it takes me forever to beat open world games.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Shiren the Wanderer. Last post I said "I may end up having to NULL this one for my own sanity after one final serious attempt." Well, that one final serious attempt beat the main dungeon. :hellyeah: That unlocks a ton of new bonus dungeons, but I'm happy shelving this now. It's a very good roguelike, but a lot of your playtime is spent grinding equipment and crafting supplies/products in the top quarter of the dungeon and then doing what is necessary to keep it persistent across runs... until the attempt at victory that will risk their permanent destruction. I reset my metagame progress before starting this set of games, so the total playtime ended up being about 20 hours from ground zero, with an extra 15 or so from almost ten years back.

In other news, oh hey, Morter's back! Welcome back!

Morter posted:

1) I suppose that right now I'm most active in Nioh and DQH2 in trying to get to the end. They are both big, long games however. Should I cycle in one or two more games? Maybe a shorter one (Like Hat in Time or House of the Dying Sun)? What do you all think?

When I was being systematic I would usually cycle between a small number of games, but my habit usually involved huge numbers of very small and finite games, or games that were huge but that I was getting sick of after a few dozen hours. So: if swapping between Nioh and DQH2 is keeping both feeling fresh, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, if you come home one fine evening and thirst for ruthless space-murder, that would be an excellent time to toss out your schedule and fire up House of the Dying Sun. I find that the thing that matters the most for me is for the games to be in very different genres to keep me from stalling out.

On the flip side, if one of the two starts grabbing me really hard, I'll stick with it until it palls. I can get away with this because I'm not particularly vulnerable to infinite-timesink games, and even the games I loved dearly ended up wearing out their welcome in less than a hundred hours.

quote:

I generally keep a game in rotation until I notice that I'm not at all tempted to go back to it (at which point I take it off rotation because who am I kidding) but usually try to stick to the games in my rotation if that list isn't empty. If I have an "open slot" I may briefly poke at a ton of stuff just to see what it's about and to know what I'm getting into if I get a yearning for it later.

It helps that I don't really watch TV, so I'm going to have an hour or so free every night anyway. Playing games shouldn't feel like a second job; I feel like clearing the backlog should be about not spending more money needlessly and not getting stuck in ruts.

quote:

3) Should I put any time into managing my old but still kickass Backloggery page with this new set of games?

If you enjoy the page (and it is indeed still kickass) it doesn't look like you have a ton of stuff to add for your currently-installed list. I'd say "if you like having it up-to-date, or it helps you decide what to do next, go for it, but don't bother with filling in the intervening years unless you have an evening to kill and you'd rather spend it taking inventory." That's basically what got me to enter all my remaining console games, but that evening stacking cartridges and CD/DVD cases was all I was up to.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Well I have no idea how to track my games nor how to keep up with the endless stream going into my list.

any suggestions.

I still need to redeem this month's Humble Bundle onto the list...
https://steamcommunity.com/id/theresajayne/games/?tab=all

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morter posted:

I'm back

:negative:

(Edit: Going to look at my backloggery account, which is drat near null and void at this point lmao)

Same lol. I was doing so well for the first half of 2018 and then summer came. I basically stopped gaming for the whole summer, did a bunch of biking and only started gaming toward fall but it's been mostly online games.

But I think I completed a lot of games from the last month of 2017 to 2018 June.

Completed: Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Persona 5, Ys Origin, Disgaea 1, Hitman Blood Money, AC Brotherhood, AC3, Xcom EU, Binary Domain, Half Life 2 and The Wolf Among Us.

Games I gave up or stopped playing: Far Cry 3, GTA5, Doom, Dead Island, Fire Emblem Awakening and Alpha Protocol. I reckon I will try most of those games again.

I am currently playing through Wildlands(very infrequently/nobody to play with), Hitman Absolution and Dead Cells. Pretty fun games and I upgraded my PC to an rtx 2080 ti so I can pretty much play whatever now instead of worrying about overheating my gaming laptop. I also got a PS4 PRO to play exclusives, I have a bunch of games my friend gave me but I haven't started anything yet. I will probably start Bloodborne as soon as I finish Hitman Absolution.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 8, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Completed: Frost - Is this the first time I've ever done this? Gotten every achievement and done every single in-game challenge and thing? I don't know, and I don't want to check. But dang! I love Frost. It's a deck-building survival card game and I put like 20+ hours into it clearing every scenario and chasing down every achievement. I wish I had more, because it's just been so good and fun.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Morter posted:

I’d actually like some input on this as well! My big issue is if I’m playing more than one game at a time, I have so much trouble deciding what to play at any given moment, especially since I only end up with about an hour or two a night to play.

Do you guys rotate each day? Pick at random?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Panic Restaurant posted:

I’d actually like some input on this as well! My big issue is if I’m playing more than one game at a time, I have so much trouble deciding what to play at any given moment, especially since I only end up with about an hour or two a night to play.

Conversely, if I have "one game" to play and I don't feel like playing it, I just sorta dick around on the internet aimlessly. That's why I play games: they give me an executive (is that the right word?) purpose.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

I've had this for years and other than the odd game with young children (who, incidentally, really love it) I've never tried to actually get good and understand it. Much to my surprise it's not only good but I preferred it all-time great MvC2. The variety of characters can't be beat, each is a really perfect realisation of their personality and gameplay style and the game is crammed full of little touches that make it genuinely feel like a celebration of Marvel and Capcom at their best. I think a tiny little thing that says it all is that the characters refer to one another differently based on their relationships in the comics/games - so if Ryu is tagging in Wolverine he'll yell "Wolverine!", while if Storm is tagging in Wolverine she'll yell "Logan!". How neat is that?

Played a smattering of multiplayer, Arcade, Heroes and Heralds and a tiny bit of online (as predicted everyone on there is an infinite combo murder machine so it's not much fun). Had a lot of fun in each - and I really appreciate that each of the characters has an ending in this game. Sure it's just two pictures and a bit of text, but they've got some neat cameos in the them and are largely enjoyably goofy things.

I was also very happy to realise that Capcom included the entire Udon Official Complete Works artbook as an unlockable ebook It's a huge book covering the Vs. series from Children of the Atom up until UMvC3 and it's a great read.

BEATEN: Florence

I read a bunch of interviews with developers about their games of 2018 and Florence kept popping up. I'd never heard of it, but it turned out to be a mobile game available for a couple of bucks. I got it and beat it in one sitting. It really stretches the definition of videogame pretty hard as it's essentially an indie comic with very minor minigame elements (rub the touchscreen to brush your teeth! etc). That said it's at least a pretty touching and well-told love story and has some nice production values. The best gameplay bit comes in the conversation system, in which to reply you have to assemble a small jigsaw in the speech bubble - the more secure you are in your relationship the easier it is to complete. A neat way to spend an hour or so.

BEATEN: CONSORTIUM

First person indie interactive drama that groans under too many ideas. So, you're on board a futuristic aeroplane carrying members of the CONSORTIUM, who appear to be some kind of near-future international combination of police, firefighters and a UN peace envoy (it's basically Star Trek). BUT you're also playing a person from the future of that future as the game is actually a transdimensional interface device that lets you the player occupy the body of the one of the crew in the past. I like fourth wall breaking shenanigans, but they really should have ditched this conceit and just focused on the A plot.

Anyway, it's an ambitious game but doesn't really work. There's clearly some complex decision tree running in the background, but I singularly failed to accomplish much of anything and at one point ended up locked in (lovely) combat with an invincible opponent and had to reload a save from a few hours ago. Plus the game has this unappealing PS2 graphics quality to it - and while I guess this is budgetary you're going to end up seeing a lot of seams on the map. At least it's only four hours long, though it ends on a cliffhanger.

BEATEN: Tetris Effect

It's a loving incredibly psychedelic version of Tetris with an amazing soundtrack and beautiful design from top to toe. I don't really have too much to say about it though. It provides a perfect game of Tetris, is one of the most relaxing games I've played in forever and just makes me feel incredibly happy in VR. Finishing the final Journey mission might have been one of my favorite gaming moments of the year. The speed was up to ridiculous levels and I was just scrabbling for lines at the very top of the pit in a vain attempt to get to the line goal. Just as things appeared hopeless the stars seemed to align, I got a succession of ideal pieces and cleared the game with a Tetris. Booooom!

BEATEN: Astro Bot Rescue Mission

If this was reskinned with Mario rather than Astro Bot it would have won multiple game of the year awards and been deemed a groundbreaking piece of classic Nintendo design. Honestly this game is a genuine loving delight. It's a 3D platformer about rescuing small robots in peril, with the player 'in' the world and you guide Astro Bot scampering around in front, behind, above and around them. It's not that long, but each level does that Nintendo thing were they introduce a new mechanic and then iterate on it a couple of times before ditching it for something new - and every single level is fun.

If it weren't in VR it'd merely be a fantastic platformer, but PSVR adds SO much to it. There's colossal bosses, moments where you have to peer down tiny tunnels, crane your neck around corners and enemies that attack you as much as they do the character (meaning you have to dodge projectiles, head footballs, smash through blocks and so on. It's also got an incredible score. This really came out of nowhere for me and lodged right in my top 5 games of the year.

BEATEN: PlayStation VR Worlds

Gifted to me by forums user Trig Discipline, I went into this not expecting much. It's basically a demo disc included with some versions of PSVR that shows off the kind of things that could be accomplished rather than proper games. You've got a Guy Ritchie gangster caper, a luge time trial, VR pong, a non-interactive shark dive and a sci-fi shooter. Of them all, London Heist is by far the best, if only because I love messing around with props in VR games and acting like a complete dick. The rest are interesting enough and if I ever need to show off the VR it's nice to have some high-quality demos that don't ask much of the user.

BEATEN: Comix Zone

Just because something is retro doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Comix Zone is not good and probably never was. It's a BALLS HARD Megadrive game with an indie comic-book aesthetic that lets you jump between panels and fight mutant baddies. I kind of respect a mid-90s 16 bit game at least pursuing a strong aesthetic and molding a game around it, but even though it's got a style I still think it looks ugly as sin. Plus it outright hates the player. For example, your way forward is periodically blocked by crates or barriers. To get past you punch them until they're destroyed, which hurts you. It's entirely possible to get stuck behind a crate, not have enough health to destroy it and that's your game done as you have one life and then it kicks you to the title screen.

The reason it's so difficult is because if played perfectly you can beat this in about 45 mins - but only with extremely frequent use of save states did I manage to crawl my way to the credits. I have a combination of fear and respect for anyone that beat this on original release.

BEATEN: Burly Men At Sea

Basically a playable children's book - but one of those slightly pretentious children's books purchased by well meaning hipster uncles. Tells the hoose your own adventure story of three bearded Scandinavian fisherman. I played it through to completion a few times and there is at least a bunch of very different branching paths to explore. However the game is a bit slow and way too twee for my liking so I'll leave it at that.

NULLED: Dustforce

Very cool Super Meat Boy style precision walljump-y platformer. It's genuinely fun to chain together all these neat moves and make your way through the (short) levels without touching the ground or breaking your combo. Score, sound design, graphics and animation are on point and it feels very satisfying to move these ninja cleaners about. However the game does eventually start demanding perfection. You get keys by getting gold medals on levels and while I picked off most of the low hanging fruit I eventually (after 15 hours or so of game) ended up in a situation where it started to stop being fun and started being frustrating - a great moment to stop playing.

NULLED: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Oh man I've got mixed feelings about this. It's a beautifully polished fighting game with an astonishing cast and more content than you can shake a stick at - making it an amazing videogame history lesson and feels like Nintendo letting their hair down.

But, I'm just not having any fun. Most of this isn't the game's fault, more that I've been unable to convince any of my friends to pick it up and practice enough to get reasonably good. I feel like I'm explaining the mechanics to a brick wall most of the time - and whenever we have played they've gotten frustrated by falling off the stage, not knowing what's going on, losing track of their characters and so on. Having given up on local multiplayer I turned to the World of Light adventure mode, which was fun for a bit but quickly felt very shallow. In principle I love the idea of leafing through thousands of 'Spirits' of obscure videogame characters (You have unlocked Satoru Amatsubo from Project Hacker: Kakusei!). In practice collecting them is very unsatisfying as there's no flavor text about who they are or even what their first appearance in a game was - leaving them essentially context-free .jpgs.

I paid full price for this in the hope that it'd catch on as the default party game after Mario Kart, but sadly nobody's biting. (I'm also not playing online as I spend enough on digital subs already). It might go on eBay while it's still worth something.

NULLED: Battlestations: Midway

Mid 2000s Naval/Air tactical strategy game that asks if YOU can lead the Allies to victory over the Japanese in 1945. Sadly I really suck at pretty much everything about these sorts of games (even on easy baby mode), so the Empire of Japan is going to win this one. Sorry world.

Got gifted Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassin's Creed Origins / Odyssey over Xmas. Am currently knee deep in the apparently bottomless RDR2 so just planning to play that over the next weeks.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 11, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Panic Restaurant posted:

I try to just play 1 game and finish it, if the game is really long, I will start another shorter game and try to finish that on the side.

Right now I am playing Hitman Absolution which I have almost finished and I started Bloodborne.

The most important thing for me is to give time to singleplayer games cause multiplayer games are so easy to go in and play a few matches then leave. It's hard to really do that with single player games and feel rewarded.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

COMPLETED - West of Loathing (Switch): This game rules. I'm not in the habit of replaying games these days but I immediately started a new character on this one. An absurd RPG set in the Wild West that never overstays its welcome. The writing is hilarious and the quests can have a surprising number of solutions. You can gain perks that improve your dude by doing poo poo like running into cacti enough or flushing all the toilets. Highly recommended.

BEATEN - Batman Enemy Within (PS4): I have a soft spot for these Telltale games. I enjoyed this entry a lot. I get that my choices don't really matter that much but I still had fun wondering what would happen next. The new spin put on some of the villains was refreshing but ultimately everyone was their usual selves. Bruce Wayne/Batman was well-acted and well-voiced. If you like these games this one comes as an easy recommend.

BEATEN - Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn (Android): My shame shines through on this one. I've owned this game in some form or another for years and had never made it to the finish line until this year. It's one of the best games ever made and there isn't much more I can add. Despite being 100+ hours it never wastes your time. The combat is very satisfying and offers a ton of tactical solutions to what can sometimes feel like overwhelming odds. I beat a couple of the optional "superbosses" on the way to besting Irenicus and i'm glad I did. If you haven't played this yet, you're missing out. The archaic 2e combat rules can seem really confusing so don't hesitate to consult a guide.

PLAYING - Dust: An Elysian Tale (PS4): I just use an RNG to select my next game and this is what it gave me. Asthetically it's neat and the gameplay is a fun mix of old-school 2D platform and a stylish beat-em-up. The voice-acting and character design is a little... yeesh, but I'll probably stick it out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

New year, new games.. January is a slower month for me with longer games, so I might just edit this post at the end of the month rather than make a new post

#1: Haunted Island: A Detective Frog Mystery (1hr) - A cute little story game that's basically a trading quest on an island with fun dialogue.
#2: Valley (4hrs) - Jogging simulator where you have a special suit that lets you run fast and jump high. There's very light combat and puzzling, but it's mostly about platforming and running fast.
#3: The Messenger (8hrs) - I wish the shopkeeper didn't quote Jordan Peterson, but the game itself is fine, the controls are tight and responsive, and because the level design is fun, the metroidvania backtracking ends up being okay because you're still being challenged the whole way. Reminds me of Guacamelee in that respect.
#4: Cybarian (1hr) - Just sort of an okay retro game.
#5: Persona Q (40hrs) - I actually liked this quite a lot. It's Etrian but with the added flavor and amenities that Persona brings to the table. I missed the Etrian skill trees, but I liked the Persona demon fusion. The dungeon floors are massive in this one and the battles are challenging enough that you end up having to return to the hub a lot more than in Etrian. But there are not as many dungeons or dungeon floors as an Etrian game to balance that out.
#6: Moss (3hrs) - There are basically three VR must haves on PS4, and this is one.
#7: Radiant Historia (30hrs) - Very solid JRPG with time travel mechanics, which obviously invites Chrono Trigger comparisons. The presentation is a little lower-budget, being a DS remaster, but the actual game design is pretty strong, and the sidequests are actually fun, because they're basically puzzles about going back and forth between time periods.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 18, 2019

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Okay, you know what? I admit it. I have a loving problem.

I'm doing a full achievement run for Dragon's Dogma, and I don't see myself stopping until I'm done or something catastrophic happens with my data--which I hope doesn't happen. It's sunk its loving claws into me.

:negative:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Panic Restaurant posted:

Weighted RNG. I have a list of all the games I've started, not started and 'endless' games. If I'm feeling torn, I look down my list, think of how much I'd like to play it out of say, 100, and put it that many times in Excel. Then use random.org to pick a number and that's what I'll play. It keeps me from sitting for ages deciding and sometimes gets me playing something that would never reach the top of my list otherwise, like I'd never have played What Remains of Edith Finch if it hadn't come up on a 2% chance, I'd just have put another few hours into Stardew Valley or CK2.

I used to stick with whatever I was playing until I finished it or until I just couldn't stand playing it anymore but I think I ruined a few longer games for myself that way.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I feel like I'm the only person in these forums that dislikes Dragon's Dogma. On paper it sounds totally my poo poo but the game is so dull and boring and I quit like three times after 10 hours or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I feel like I'm the only person in these forums that dislikes Dragon's Dogma. On paper it sounds totally my poo poo but the game is so dull and boring and I quit like three times after 10 hours or whatever.

I bounced off it twice, part of the thing us it's an older game, so the only people still talking about it are the ones really into it for the most part.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I bounced off the first time I tried to play it. Second time around, I ignored everything until I got to the central city and plowed through the game. The combat is really fun. It is the only game where being an archer made me feel like I had agency.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I only ever play one game at a time these days unless it's a different system and i can't play on the other at the time (usually I play on PC or PS4 which are both connected to my monitor unless my gf wants to play The Sims 4 in which case I'll play some older games on my laptop like point and click adventures or something) .

But if I don't like the game or feel bored with it I just mark that it as finished for backlog purposes because I'm 99%not going to play it ever again.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

I played it when it came out and definitely enjoyed it but dropped it midway through. I need to go back to it on PC. It definitely isn't perfect since it was Capcom's first try at open world/rpg. I think a sequel could fix a lot of the issues. It's definitely in my backlog though as of now.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Ulio posted:

I played it when it came out and definitely enjoyed it but dropped it midway through. I need to go back to it on PC. It definitely isn't perfect since it was Capcom's first try at open world/rpg. I think a sequel could fix a lot of the issues. It's definitely in my backlog though as of now.

I think he was actually talking about Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, which is the sequel.

Edit: I’m dumb, it’s not a sequel.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Morter posted:

Panic Restaurant posted:

I just pick one game and play it until either there's nothing left to do (100% complete), or I'm done with the game. If a game's okay but not great, "done with it" means play it to the end but not bother with 100%. If a game's bad, I'll just uninstall it and move on.

The 7th Guest posted:

New year, new games.. January is a slower month for me with longer games, so I might just edit this post at the end of the month rather than make a new post
Depends on whether you're posting to yourself or to others; personally, I almost never check old posts for updates.

MASTERED: The Stanley Parable. I waited 5 years to obtain an achievement for this game legitimately instead of just changing the clock; not sure if that's something I should be proud of or not. Anyway, this is still a landmark in gaming history and one of those games you really should try at least once.

COMPLETED: Nothing to God. A bullet-hell game where you can't fire back. The gameplay is just OK at best, with occasional segments where it restricts checkpoints for some artificial difficulty. The plot is clearly what the developer really cared about, but it's kinda pretentious in a "freshman philosophy student" way. I finished it, I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

COMPLETED: Opus Magnum. A programming-themed puzzle game. The puzzles in Opus Magnum are designed so that there isn't one true solution for each puzzle, but a wide variety of solutions. Thing is, this game fucks up my brain. I solved all the puzzles in the story campaign (didn't do the bonus ones), but my solutions were inefficient and ugly. The entire time I was playing I had this sense that there were much more elegant solutions just a hair out of reach; like the feeling you get when the word you want to use is on the tip of your tongue, but you can't quite remember it. That, but for puzzle-solving. I both love and hate this game, and if you like puzzle games you should play this.

COMPLETED: The Hex. The second game from the Pony Island dev, and I like this a lot less than I liked his previous game. It has a fourth-wall breaking meta story about the connection between game creator and game character, but I got the impression that the dev was way too loving pleased with himself while writing it. I won't recommend this, but I will be interested in seeing his third game, as Pony Island was fantastic.

COMPLETED: Beneath the Surface. A short little fishing game, the controls are kinda poo poo and quickly become irritating. Can't give this one a thumbs-up either.

COMPLETED: 9 Clues I: The Secret of Serpent Creek. Artifex Mundi Hidden Object Game. This one does nothing to stand out from the rest of the AM crowd; generic and forgettable.

PLAYED: Broforce. I didn't really enjoy this one. The constant switching of player character was irritating, but what really killed it for me was the bait-and-switch in the gameplay. See, Broforce presents itself as an over-the-top action game, but if you charge in guns blazing you get yourself killed very fast. Much slower paced than it appears at first. Did not finish.

COMPLETED: Child of Light. I quite liked this platform RPG thing. The combat never got boring, the plot was a little cliche (but not bad), and moving from place to place was smooth and easy. It plays a lot like a 90s JRPG, and if you liked those, you'll probably have fun with Child of Light.

COMPLETED: Demon Hunter IV: Riddles of Light. The Demon Hunter series of HOGs has never been any better than "half-decent", but this really is a new low. The developers of this game seem completely unfamiliar with the rest of the series. The player character of the first three games, Dawn, is a major NPC in this one, and her having red eyes was a critical plot point in the other games. Here, Dawn's eyes are brown. If the devs can't be bothered remembering something as central to the series as that, well. They got her last name wrong too, as the cherry on top. Yes, I realize I'm getting all worked up over the plot of a hidden object game, but it really, truly irritates me.

Next up: I installed a free copy of What Remains of Edith Finch from the Epic store. I've heard it's an Actually Good walking simulator.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EightDeer posted:

PLAYED: Broforce. I didn't really enjoy this one. The constant switching of player character was irritating, but what really killed it for me was the bait-and-switch in the gameplay. See, Broforce presents itself as an over-the-top action game, but if you charge in guns blazing you get yourself killed very fast. Much slower paced than it appears at first. Did not finish.

Huh, interesting. That's what I loved about it - the puzzle-solving elements.

Unfortunately I'll never finish it because I was playing it the night of the election for the ol' America ooh-rah attitude it has, and well, you saw how that turned out.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Beat: Assassin's Creed Origins
Started: AssCreed: Odyssey

Origins was surprisingly good. Odyssey is even better with more QOL changes and devs are thankfully playing with idea of not being so grounded and getting more creative with the combat. Bayek from Origins was a lot more sympathetic; in Odyssey you're a hot, horny mercenary who kills for money while riding a unicorn. That attitude can be felt in most of the sidequests. In Origins it felt as if you were solving small town problems and investigating crimes scenes and witnesses, following evidence until you get the bad guy(s). In Odyssey it's a lot more 'go kill bears/wolves/bandits/soldiers/boats' and they'll throw money at you or an epic legendary boomerang and feels like it all is only there to serve the gameplay instead of trying let the NPCs pretend to be real characters. Maybe it's trying to feel more like you're playing through a legend but t comes off like a cartoon-y lighthearted romp. Which isn't a bad thing, but I'm still getting used to it. There are little niggles like it's annoying how few towns are fast travel-able which was creeping in Origins but wasn't as bad.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Until the Alien levels you can still bumrush levels tbh, at least in co-op one of you will likely leakfrog you to a further respawn most of the times.

I only bought 2 games for myself on the PC in the last like 4 months, but with friends, the gifttrain and buying somebody's 2DS in a really good deal I added quite a few games.

:shepicide: New: :shepicide:
New Nintendo 2DS XL (Console)
Pokémon Ultra Moon (2DS)
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (2DS)
Pokémon Y (2DS)
Animal Crossing (2DS)*
Super Mario 3d Land (2DS)*
Chess Ultra (Steam)
Parkitect (Steam)
A Story About My Uncle (Steam)
Epistory - Typing Chronicles (Steam)
Rampage Knights (Steam)
Assassin's Creed Origins (Steam)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong (Steam)
XCOM 2 (Steam)
Yakuza 0 (Steam)
Company of Heroes 2 (Steam)
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion (Steam)
Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World (Steam)
*These came with the console and I have little interest in playing them for now.

I did however actually finish some games:

Beat: Divinity Original Sin - Enhanced Edition (72h)
I kickstarted this game way back and never got around to playing it until a friend proposed co-op, goddamn this is a long rear end game. It has plenty flaws esp in the controls being on the annoying side of snapping to the action at times (The amount of times I've moved instead of shooting at something...). Considering we took 72hours to beat it and only got lost/annoyed for like 5 of those that's great tbh.
The game is still a goddamn blast, the combat system doesn't really open up untill midway but after that you can use so much different poo poo to p much turn every battlefield into a permanent deathzone for most enemies. While the models are obviously a bit dated with all the effects and good atmosphere it's still a very pretty game, Larian's usual writing where the small details make up for a lacklustre main quest delivered as expected. From all accounts the second game basically fixes most of the issues so I am now very much looking forward to that someday.

Beat: Pokémon Ultra Moon (28h)
I haven't really played a Pokémon since Gold/Silver, I beat like 3 gyms in the GBA game but lost interest at that point.
So there is so much new poo poo they added, new mon's obviously, new moves, a new type, mega evolutions, supermoves, personalities that influence your pokémon's statspread and passive abilities and status effects; it's unreal. :stare: That said the game can still be beaten with your favourites and a basic idea about the rock-paper-scissors-broomstick-cake-shotgun type counters. I was really impressed by this game, the story is pretty entertaining striking a nice balance between low stakes not-hawaii vacation-times and the usual anime RPG end of the world sideplots. I'm far from done with this title and I think the series has fully re-hooked me for the coming months.
As a final note just look at this smug and cute son of a ball:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Beat: Two Point Hospital! - I love this game. Great relaxing management sim with interesting visuals. Clever puns, great humor, etc etc.

The reason I've beaten this game and not completed it is because the gameplay falls apart once you figure out how to shatter the difficulty. Once you set up a hospital that produces profits and has a high cure rate, you can just let it run indefinitely with no new challenges. This was great for chilling out and reading while occasionally managing it, but now that I want the experience to be over it's frustrating: I've three-starred every hospital except the final one because good god, I have to wait out the hours for 500 patients to be cured, and for my arbitrary hospital value number to go up? There's not even the attempt at interactivity like there was in an earlier hospital where I had to interact with the epidemic minigame. (Which is a fun minigame, except that the rewards for completing it are so minimal that in normal play you shouldn't bother with it, because it requires the game speed be set to normal instead of fast.)

So yeah. I've solved it, and I'm not willing to put in the idle game hours to finish it off.

On the other hand when the DLC bonus level pack goes on sale, I will snap that up and dive back in, because there's something really soothing about playing it and watching my little dudes go and get cured.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Decided to follow the advice in this thread and I’m focusing on completing one game at a time. Right now I’m focused on finishing up the single player content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. World of Light is surprisingly lengthy but I’m really enjoying it. I’ll resume Pokémon Let’s Go after that’s done.

Another question: What do you guys do about balancing working through a backlog of “beatable” games and playing things that are essentially endless? I’ve got no desire to stop playing Smash multiplayer anytime soon and I’m suddenly feeling real tempted to play Animal Crossing New Leaf again, but I want to keep making progress on the backlog....:negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Panic Restaurant posted:

Decided to follow the advice in this thread and I’m focusing on completing one game at a time. Right now I’m focused on finishing up the single player content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. World of Light is surprisingly lengthy but I’m really enjoying it. I’ll resume Pokémon Let’s Go after that’s done.

Another question: What do you guys do about balancing working through a backlog of “beatable” games and playing things that are essentially endless? I’ve got no desire to stop playing Smash multiplayer anytime soon and I’m suddenly feeling real tempted to play Animal Crossing New Leaf again, but I want to keep making progress on the backlog....:negative:

Mix 'n match. I'm mostly a mood player, but I'd say try to figure something like, you can play Smash today, but you have to play [beatable game] tomorrow and the day after, then repeat. Or do half a session on beatable and the other half on endless.

What works for you?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

BEATEN: Baldur's Gate II Throne of Bhaal (Android): What a ride. The D&D power fantasy distilled to its purest form. To go from fighting wolves in the forest to the massive magic brawls of ToB is an experience. I'm glad to be done, though. I'll definitely play SoA again but probably won't revisit ToB for awhile. Still, definitely a game that you need to play if you have any love for D&D or cRPGs.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
BEATEN: Far Cry 5

Worst game in the series I’ve played thus far, though I haven’t played primal. I’m not sure why I even spent the 10 hours to beat since there was little redeeming quality to it, luckily it was only $16. Gameplay loop felt terrible for some reason compared 3 or 4, probably because the gunplay felt really weak. The story was simply dreadful, the forced story missions via capture was some of the laziest story telling I’ve seen to date in a video game, I mean I got shot with a bliss dart and was captured while I was in a helicopter for Christ’s sake. The ending was equally bad, just dropping random nukes all over the place was dumb . Feels like a squandered opportunity too because Jospeh Seed and the cult had an interesting premise, none of the friendly characters were very interesting either. The resistance point system for each area was strange too. Getting enough to unlock the area boss and then finishing their mission will clear the rest of the story missions from the area so you can no longer complete them.

I’ll give them credit for the graphics, the game did look very nice though the game is heavily CPU bottlenecked by a single thread, even more so than Assassin’s Creed Origins was.

I can only assume Far Cry: New Dawn will be more of the same so I’ll think I’ll give that a hard pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

B-Mac posted:

BEATEN: Far Cry 5

Worst game in the series I’ve played thus far, though I haven’t played primal. I’m not sure why I even spent the 10 hours to beat since there was little redeeming quality to it, luckily it was only $16. Gameplay loop felt terrible for some reason compared 3 or 4, probably because the gunplay felt really weak. The story was simply dreadful, the forced story missions via capture was some of the laziest story telling I’ve seen to date in a video game, I mean I got shot with a bliss dart and was captured while I was in a helicopter for Christ’s sake. The ending was equally bad, just dropping random nukes all over the place was dumb . Feels like a squandered opportunity too because Jospeh Seed and the cult had an interesting premise, none of the friendly characters were very interesting either. The resistance point system for each area was strange too. Getting enough to unlock the area boss and then finishing their mission will clear the rest of the story missions from the area so you can no longer complete them.

I’ll give them credit for the graphics, the game did look very nice though the game is heavily CPU bottlenecked by a single thread, even more so than Assassin’s Creed Origins was.

I can only assume Far Cry: New Dawn will be more of the same so I’ll think I’ll give that a hard pass.

Ubisoft games are really cpu intensive and often badly optimized. Both the AC games had some patches in the first month to fix these issues. I think it is something to do with how they code their open worlds. I have only played FC2 and FC3. I liked FC2 because it went ham in the survival aspect but a lot of people didn't like that. The open world is beautiful in these games and the wildlife is fun but the activities/missions are basic as poo poo. I will agree with you that Ubisoft games have amazing production values though, the music/graphics are always top notch even their older games hold up well.