Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still have a beef with network bugs.

OTT streaming is high enough quality to appreciate on an OLED and many channels still insist on putting a network bug in the corner even know I know drat well what channel I'm on since I launched the dumb app to watch the content.

Stupid Syfy logo. It's 50% white so I know rationally it would be like 10 years of content watching before it starts showing up on slides, but it still bugs me.

Hulu does network bugs right (assuming there's any right way to do them). Tiny at 25% gray, not even a hint of worry. You barely notice them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
OLED burn in is real. :(

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
To what degree does length of viewing periods factor in? Like, how much difference is there between a single 100-hour viewing period and 100 1-hour viewing periods?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

pthighs posted:

To what degree does length of viewing periods factor in? Like, how much difference is there between a single 100-hour viewing period and 100 1-hour viewing periods?

for oled I think it's the same because it's a cumulative effect as the pixels that "burn-in" slowly get dimmer.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MagusDraco posted:

for oled I think it's the same because it's a cumulative effect as the pixels that "burn-in" slowly get dimmer.

That is correct. Hence the most major issue being your viewing habits, if you're mostly into watching news, sports, or cable programming with logos and watch that content very often, OLED might not be the best option, same if you're an active gamer who plays the same game a lot (ie if you're someone who's going to end up with 400 hours of Fortnite or Overwatch or whatever, probably RPG open world stuff like Skyrim or BotW that have enough content for long playtime with static huds as well).

For me it was a no brainer because the only things I binge watch on my TV are films, which is why I wanted a TV with the best picture quality in the first place. I also game, but I mostly enjoy singleplayer titles that are on the shorter, more cinematic side.
My TV is professionally calibrated in a dark room to boot, so my brightness and OLED light settings are relatively low compared to what you might have in a bright living room or on the average bundled in TV settings.

Keep in mind, a lot of the time this image retention and burn-in, unless it's gotten really bad, is only visible when using those bright color slides to check for them, you might never even notice during normal viewing. It is annoying in a subconscious way though and when it does get to the point that it's noticeable during normal viewing it will be very irritating, that might take awhile though.

This is why I just recommend for people who watch a lot of sports or cable content to just get a bigger, high quality LED instead, no use buying a Lamborghini when you just need an effective, large pickup.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

pthighs posted:

No difference. It's entirely dependant on lifetime viewing times, not session times for OLEDs.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I'm considering replacing my plasma with a 65" TCL 6 series. One thing I'm concerned about though. I have my gaming pc connected to my current TV as a second monitor and I do a good amount of gaming on it. Right now I've got a 1070 for a gpu. Will I have trouble driving games at 4k? Will stuff look like poo poo if I run it at 1080p?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a 980 and I run windows at 4K but run games at 1080p on my oled and they look amazing.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

1080p will look fine unless you're sitting very close to the display.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've decided to go for the XF90. I'm seeing a surprising lack of analog out on both almost every tv and blu ray players? I'm planning on using self powered monitors (like JBL 306p or the Kali LP-6) with out an AVR.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The headphone socket probably doubles as a line out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Toslink to RCA adapters are relatively cheap too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Manual confirms you can set the analog output to fixed, which I would presume would be line level. I think that’s similar to how I have one of my cable runs too.

When using the audio cable connection
1 After connecting the TV to your audio system, press the HOME button, then select [Settings] — [Sound] —
[Headphone/Audio out] — [Audio out (Fixed)].

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Burn in behaves a bit differently between OLED and plasma. You aren't likely to see warning signs until it shows up all at once since it's based purely on cumulative use. So conventional wisdom from plasma about varying content really doesn't apply.

As an example, my watch was burn-in free until about two years old when it suddenly started showing really badly.

This is kind of a worst case scenario because of the use case of a watch, but I've been using this particular watch face for about three weeks and have the display turning off when idle.

For reference, this screen is supposed to be showing the inverse of this, minus the slash bit.

Some of this is temporary, some of it is permanent

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

And the more research I'm doing has me waffling between the TCL and an X900f. If we were going to see TV deals for the super bowl, would they already be going on?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

A Proper Uppercut posted:

And the more research I'm doing has me waffling between the TCL and an X900f. If we were going to see TV deals for the super bowl, would they already be going on?

I'm in the same boat. I'll probably get the X900f since I tend to hoard my TVs for a long time (had a Panasonic 50 in TV I bought in 2013 that I'm only begrudgingly replacing since I'm moving to a different state), but if you're planning on replacing it in a couple of years, the TCL can tie you over till then.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

halokiller posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'll probably get the X900f since I tend to hoard my TVs for a long time (had a Panasonic 50 in TV I bought in 2013 that I'm only begrudgingly replacing since I'm moving to a different state), but if you're planning on replacing it in a couple of years, the TCL can tie you over till then.

Ha, same here, I've got a 50 inch Pana plasma. Just want something bigger.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Using active speakers in a 5.1 system is turning out to be harder than I thought. The Sony XF90 only does 2.0 analog out, not 5.1 analog out. Maybe I could use the ARC channel to a 5.1 DAC?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New TV for ya'll

https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAJKJ8K89174

LG C8 77" $4800

Remember to use eBates for 1% back!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ak Gara posted:

Using active speakers in a 5.1 system is turning out to be harder than I thought. The Sony XF90 only does 2.0 analog out, not 5.1 analog out. Maybe I could use the ARC channel to a 5.1 DAC?

I've never seen a TV that does 5.1 analog out. Heck, even back when it was more of a common need you had to go up the food chain to find a DVD player that had it's own onboard decoders for DD/DTS that offers 6ch RCA out.

https://www.ebay.com/i/192447414078?chn=ps something like this is probably your best bet, using the toslink optical out of the TV and feeding the speakers. I'm guessing you're limited to cheap Chinese stuff or ludicrously expensive boutique processors for this.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ak Gara posted:

The non-hacky solution is finding a receiver with preamp outputs. I know my mid-range Pioneer from 6 years ago has them.

That’d let you mix and match active and passive speakers (like for rears where active would be beyond a waste and usually annoying to power) with DSP, modern codec support and non-spergy volume handles.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh god I didn’t even consider volume controlling.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Can't you control the volume of a DAC through the vol controls on the TV? If not then never mind :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

Can't you control the volume of a DAC through the vol controls on the TV? If not then never mind :v:

Most digital outs are fixed volume.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And wouldn't the preamp outs on a receiver also be fixed volume? I'm pretty sure the ones on mine are, as they're generally designed to be run into another amp.

I think what we're trying to say here is... how attached to using these speakers in your setup are you?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Seems I need something like the Denon DN-700AVP for around £750-£800 ($960-$1010)
https://denonpro.com/products/view3/dn-700avp

Which I won't get, because they do an AVR with preouts that's cheaper, the AVR-X3500H, for £600, and since it has an amp, I might as well not use active speakers, and get the X1500H for £350, and get to use things like Audyssey MultEQ XT.

EL BROMANCE posted:

And wouldn't the preamp outs on a receiver also be fixed volume? I'm pretty sure the ones on mine are, as they're generally designed to be run into another amp.

I think what we're trying to say here is... how attached to using these speakers in your setup are you?

I haven't got any speakers for the main room yet and thought I could save myself some money with some active speakers and no amp. :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In general active home theater speakers go way into the land of diminishing returns once you have more than 2 channels. Surround preamps and preamp-having receivers are a niche item and priced as such. Plus if you're using studio monitors there's a chance the output voltage from RCA pre-outs will be too low and you'll risk clipping/extra noise. The only "cheap" preamps I know about are from Outlaw and Emotiva, neither of which has good presence in Europe.

It's a super good option for stereo/2.1 at most budgets, though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

qbert posted:

Coincidentally, RTings just posted a 1-year update video to their burn-in test yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY

Watching CNN really fucks up your TV.

I'm still impressed at how long it takes to set in.... like if the limit is 2,500 to start showing first signs of burn in, maybe I won't be so worried about leaving a paused image on the screen for 10 minutes while I take a poo poo.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sorry, another question! So another thing I'm kinda concerned about is viewing angles. All the tvs I'm considering (Sony x900f, tcl 6 series, vizio p series) all seem to have similar viewing angles, I'm assuming same panel type. Looking at reviews it seems the quality drops off pretty quick. The way my living room seating is, a couple spots may be around 40 degrees away. How bad is the degradation in real world use? I'm spoiled by my plasma right now. OLED is out of my budget range at the moment.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d say with my x900 the main thing is the blacks turn greyer and you can see the FALD backlight zones more. Not unwatchable just not nearly as good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only TV that's going to do great with viewing angles is OLED. Pretty much every other LCD is similar aside from some really expensive ones that are more expensive than OLED.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What about an IPS TV? That's gotta have good viewing angles right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Contrary to what people say for computer monitors, you don't really want an IPS panel for your TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ak Gara posted:

What about an IPS TV? That's gotta have good viewing angles right?

You get consistent viewing angles.

Unfortunately, you are left with an image that's just as bad as a VA panel off axis all the time.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Sorry, another question! So another thing I'm kinda concerned about is viewing angles. All the tvs I'm considering (Sony x900f, tcl 6 series, vizio p series) all seem to have similar viewing angles, I'm assuming same panel type. Looking at reviews it seems the quality drops off pretty quick. The way my living room seating is, a couple spots may be around 40 degrees away. How bad is the degradation in real world use? I'm spoiled by my plasma right now. OLED is out of my budget range at the moment.

Almost all LEDs have poor viewing angles. If that's a big issue for you, then you pretty much need to go OLED. Sony did release a new LED model last year with apparently great viewing angles, the Z9F, but it starts at 65" and is $3500, which is more than you'd pay for an OLED, so...

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have a 65" 4K TV and want to get more use out of it (although it already looks good with 1080p content). One thing I am interested in is getting a 4K Bluray player. I have always found that for 1080p, Bluray disks always produced a better result than any streaming or live HD service. Is that still the case for 4K? The only 4k sources I have been able to watch so far have been from Netflix (UK).

Are the best 4K Bluray players the gaming consoles?

The other route is to purchase digital content and stream it to my TV (which has an ethernet cable plugged in) from my PC or NAS in the next room. I use powerline adpaters to connect the TV to the router in the next room. Is there any concern that bandwidth could be an issue with 4K content going through the electric cables?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Physical will always be better than streaming for quality

Xbone is the only console that supports 4k discs. It's OK as a player. I'm not really sure what players are available in your country though.

I don't really know of any way to purchase content and have it on your PC or NAS that your TV can stream later. 4k Digital is a streaming affair only.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I already have a regular/slim PS4 which obviously won't play 4K discs but I assume there are apps for it that would allow me to buy 4k streaming content. I'll be honest, I'm old fashioned and if I have to pay money for content I would much rather get a physical disc, especially when it is better quality as well. I thought a PS4 Pro might play 4K discs, but if not then if/when Microsoft have a price drop on the Xbox OneX I was tempted to get one anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The One S is what you want, and they can be had much cheaper than the X. My neighbor picked one up for this purpose second hand for cheap. Its only the bottom of the line, regular Xbone (or "OG:) that wont play the 4K BDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is there a clear winner on the physical UHD format wars? Or does it not even matter cause everyone/the typical person doesn't give a gently caress anymore and just streams everything, compression & all :negative: