Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I was shocked to talk into B&N the other day and see a new King novel - "Elevation." Zero buzz about this. Sounds like the same plot as "Thinner?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's an aging baby boomer liberal writing about social issues during the trump era, it's going to blow enormous rear end

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've yet to hear anyone say something positive about it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Drunken Baker posted:

I've yet to hear anyone say something positive about it.

There were two reviews I read that were positive, though funnily enough both complained that it was too short.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I think The Dark Half is one of those books by King that managed to actually disappoint me all the way through. Been many years since I read it, but it felt like something that never actually gets to the point at all.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I always really liked it, but I have a natural fear of birds so I might not be objective.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I started Doctor Sleep late last night because I heard there’ll be a movie soon. I got to the part where the lady from 217 is scratching at the door and no loving lie someone started trying to get into my locked studio apartment. Got off on the wrong floor or something.

Took me an hour to fall asleep, god drat.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

So I started Doctor Sleep late last night because I heard there’ll be a movie soon. I got to the part where the lady from 217 is scratching at the door and no loving lie someone started trying to get into my locked studio apartment. Got off on the wrong floor or something.

Took me an hour to fall asleep, god drat.

Pour yourself a stiff drink :beerpal:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
While not a bad book, it is just a shame 'scary wise' that is by far the peak of that book.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

nate fisher posted:

While not a bad book, it is just a shame 'scary wise' that is by far the peak of that book.

That’s a shame, because The Shining was able to get me several times.

I had nightmares about whatever was in the snowed-in playground.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rolo posted:

That’s a shame, because The Shining was able to get me several times.

I had nightmares about whatever was in the snowed-in playground.

The Shining is a cracking read. I remember hearing about the topiary animals section ages before I read it and I thought there's no way this will be scary or creepy. I can confirm I was wrong.

I've been listening to the Audible narration of It, and Holy Spirit, Steven Weber is absolutely stellar. I wasn't entirely convinced in the first few chapters but I'm about 25 hours in (out of 48 I think) and he's tremendous.

I think it helps that I haven't read the book in 11 years but I'm loving the story and the way it's told.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The topiary section creeped me right out. I was talking to someone at work the other day about King, and in his prime, he totally could have written a story about a haunted dog bowl, and it'd have been spooky.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

My girlfriend has never read any Stephen King but after watching Castle Rock she said she wanted to give him a try, so I've lent her my copies of Skeleton Crew and Everything's Eventual.

She texted me the next day to say that King "knows a lot of proverbs, doesn't like writing endings and thinks cigarettes behind the ear are really cool"

Pretty much nailed it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Shining is a cracking read. I remember hearing about the topiary animals section ages before I read it and I thought there's no way this will be scary or creepy. I can confirm I was wrong.

I've been listening to the Audible narration of It, and Holy Spirit, Steven Weber is absolutely stellar. I wasn't entirely convinced in the first few chapters but I'm about 25 hours in (out of 48 I think) and he's tremendous.

I think it helps that I haven't read the book in 11 years but I'm loving the story and the way it's told.

I don't know if it's better than the movie or what but it is excellent and very much it's own thing. That sounds backwards because I saw the movie a dozen times before bothering to read it last year or so but it's great. Especially towards the end when the Overlook really starts to go awry.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

syscall girl posted:

I don't know if it's better than the movie or what but it is excellent and very much it's own thing. That sounds backwards because I saw the movie a dozen times before bothering to read it last year or so but it's great. Especially towards the end when the Overlook really starts to go awry.

I first saw the movie as a kid, about 10 or 12 I think, and I always loved it. No horror scares me now like it did when I was 12, there's such a gorgeous nostalgia to it.

I watched the movie about a year ago, about 7 years after reading the book and honestly the movie had lost a lot for me. I understand it's technically a great movie etc. but there's so much dread and tension missing from the book. It's difficult to convey a lot of it on screen since a lot of it is associated with Jack's thoughts and so on but I feel the book is a superior experience.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Leavemywife posted:

The topiary section creeped me right out. I was talking to someone at work the other day about King, and in his prime, he totally could have written a story about a haunted dog bowl, and it'd have been spooky.

Before everything goes straight nutty and it’s basically “did that just move? I don’t think it was that close a second ago. I think it’s looking at me” is so scary considering it’s just talking a bush.

I’m liking Doctor Sleep so far. I know not to expect early King quality but he can still write in a way that 100 pages fly by.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The important scene the movie is missing, and I say that loosely because the movie is telling a different story with different people, is the beehive scene. That's where the dread really sets in because you realize the hotel just won't let Jack win no matter what he tries to do - and he really is trying his best.

Movie Jack doesn't even try and is just a dick, so with that lack of empathy comes a lack of horror.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

The important scene the movie is missing, and I say that loosely because the movie is telling a different story with different people, is the beehive scene. That's where the dread really sets in because you realize the hotel just won't let Jack win no matter what he tries to do - and he really is trying his best.

Movie Jack doesn't even try and is just a dick, so with that lack of empathy comes a lack of horror.

The beehive scene and there are two

One is Jack on the roof himself

The other is the kiddo getting stung by wasps

And Jack and his wife are the predominant characters it's not about the inner world of Danny

yet

and then and it's in this thread Jack is the hero

He defeats the villain with some help

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just ordered a bunch of Stephen King books I haven't read yet.

The Shining
Firestarter
Salem's Lot
Carrie
The Deadzone

I'm probably going to start with The Shining.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

The Shining
Firestarter
Salem's Lot
Carrie
The Deadzone

It's pretty good.

So anyways I rewatched The Night Flier last night because the first time I saw it it was the most terrifying ending I'd ever seen.

Miguel Ferrer was still great but I got over my fear of that movie so yay

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

syscall girl posted:

It's pretty good.

So anyways I rewatched The Night Flier last night because the first time I saw it it was the most terrifying ending I'd ever seen.

Miguel Ferrer was still great but I got over my fear of that movie so yay

I met the guy who wrote the screenplay for that movie, as I dated his niece in high school. He was a nice dude. His wife wrote romance novels. Too bad he didn’t do anything after that...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Roydrowsy posted:

I met the guy who wrote the screenplay for that movie, as I dated his niece in high school. He was a nice dude. His wife wrote romance novels. Too bad he didn’t do anything after that...

I still contest that movie is chilling. Beyond what SK wrote.

That ending in B&W where he gets forced to drink the blood and then gets Renfielded

*shudder*

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RCarr posted:

The Shining
Firestarter
Salem's Lot
Carrie
The Deadzone

thats a solid list

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Listening to the audio book of It has kinda made me resent the 2017 movie a bit. The novel just cries out for a 12 episode series with the budget to do it justice, and with the quality of some TV shows these days and services like Netflix it could be great.

Even the 1990 TV movie felt to me that a better job was done with the kids' stories and the wrongness of Derry. The excellent soundtrack was better, too.

Like The Apocalyptic Rock Fight, set to some rock song in the new movie. Gutted.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Listening to the audio book of It has kinda made me resent the 2017 movie a bit. The novel just cries out for a 12 episode series with the budget to do it justice, and with the quality of some TV shows these days and services like Netflix it could be great.

Even the 1990 TV movie felt to me that a better job was done with the kids' stories and the wrongness of Derry. The excellent soundtrack was better, too.

Like The Apocalyptic Rock Fight, set to some rock song in the new movie. Gutted.

I dunno. Movie was pretty god damned good I thought.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I dunno. Movie was pretty god damned good I thought.

I was in a messed up place when I saw the new IT. Same with The Gunslinger.

Tim Curry was streets ahead I guess. But the audiobook of IT is gold

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I thought the new IT was great, it's just really impossible to do a giant novel justice in one movie. Hopefully the second one is just as good.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

I thought the new IT was great, it's just really impossible to do a giant novel justice in one movie. Hopefully the second one is just as good.

This is basically how I felt about Stranger Things.

I wanted the second season to catch up with the kids grown up.

But wish in one hand

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

syscall girl posted:

But wish in one hand

Bloody crescents in the palm of the other.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

RCarr posted:

Hence my dead wish for a series. I also wish they'd stuck with a big baggy clown suit as in the novel, rather than the white one from the movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hence my dead wish for a series. I also wish they'd stuck with a big baggy clown suit as in the novel, rather than the white one from the movie.

To be fair to Pennywise he wore a lot of costumes.

One time he was a sniper.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

syscall girl posted:

To be fair to Pennywise he wore a lot of costumes.

One time he was a sniper.

In a baggy clown suit, hovering half out a window. What a book.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

syscall girl posted:

I was in a messed up place when I saw the new IT. Same with The Gunslinger.

There is no place where The Dark Tower was a good or worthwhile movie

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It loving should have been, considering the excellent casting.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yea this is one of the biggest let downs as a King fan. It just seems like it would be so easy to make an awesome movie out of that plot.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

RCarr posted:

Yea this is one of the biggest let downs as a King fan. It just seems like it would be so easy to make an awesome movie out of that plot.

I dunno what studio would take the chance on a straight adaptation of that first book, but I wish they would. Keep the same cast, maybe tell McConaughey to tone down the mustache twirling and be more charming. And keep noted hack Akiva Goldsman far the gently caress away.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I dunno what studio would take the chance on a straight adaptation of that first book, but I wish they would. Keep the same cast, maybe tell McConaughey to tone down the mustache twirling and be more charming. And keep noted hack Akiva Goldsman far the gently caress away.

Because there are so many adaptations and King has agreed to a lot of them and has a whole weird policy of "pay me a dollar" for independent and student filmmakers this should happen.

It's not even that long of a book and there's some good material from it even as a standalone.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ill gladly trade the dark towers for more geralds games and mists and 1922s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Gerald's Game was fun/funny but dang it traumatized me as a child.

1922 and le mist were great adaptations

Have I mentioned The Night Flier lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
And still no "The Long Walk"

The easiest and least expensive adaptation someone could make

All you need is some decent child actors and a loving street.