Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's really only 40 feet or so and there may not be as much interference in-between floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its a strange building, the floors definitely aren't 8-10'. The loving door in my office is probably 8-9' itself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On paper, in ideal conditions with sufficient power, BT has a 100m range.

It's possible that the design of the building is helping rather than hindering 2.4gz internally.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
When I go the the garbage room in the basement, my bluetooth earphone sometimes can work all the way to the basement in the elevator with my phone stay on the 3rd floor apt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If you have your watch on wifi it still gets stuff through black magic. I found that out when I forgot my phone at home one day and still got texts at work.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Everything's a sidegrade at this point.

If you want a used good condition Armani I might be selling. Went deep into the old timey mechanical watch money pit so not wearing it much anymore.

Thanks but I'm in Europe, probably not worth the shipping and stuff - plus you're all right, everything would be a sidegrade at this point and I'd rather save the money to get something (if it ever comes out) that's an actual upgrade.

Or spend it all in traditional watches, I'm going down that pit too. :v:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Len posted:

If you have your watch on wifi it still gets stuff through black magic. I found that out when I forgot my phone at home one day and still got texts at work.

Yeah I'm thinking the explanation here involves WiFi

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

codo27 posted:

The craziest fuckin thing just now. I work in a fairly big building, 4 floors. My office is on the ground level, and staff offices are in the back behind a lot of concrete walls such that we get poor cell service. I leave my phone on my desk to go up to the 4th floor, and I get a loving text notification from my phone 4 floors down! Was even able to voice dictate a reply. What kind of witchcraft was this? (P20 Pro/Huawei watch 2)

Is your watch connected to the same WiFi network? I recall there being some sort of connectivity feature to support this type of use case (so you can leave your phone in one room at home and still get notifications in another room).

e: missed the new page with other posts mentioning WiFi. :downs:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't even think the watch had wifi capability

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CES 2019 is a pretty bleak on the wear os front.

Fossil is still the only company putting out stuff that doesn't look like Fisher Price toys.

Though there was one by some company called Matrix that charges on body heat and solar, that could be interesting.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I was really hoping we'd get something interesting out of CES. Ticwatch Pro is still looking like the top of my list, except I just discovered today that if you don't use the always on screen, the fallback LCD kicks on over the top of it when it's not on, and that's annoying to me. Also, no word from them on getting the latest OS release, so that's a red flag. Just ridiculous that Google hasn't just made a flagship watch to show everybody what's what.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

G-Prime posted:

Just ridiculous that Google hasn't just made a flagship watch to show everybody what's what.

That is what I am hoping/waiting for. The Fossil Sport is currently at the top of my list until it happens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

G-Prime posted:

Just ridiculous that Google hasn't just made a flagship watch to show everybody what's what.

They need silicon and their internal development of parts like that isn't very far along.

You literally CAN'T make a Wear OS device better than what we have right now. The hardware doesn't exist and the only people who have the hardware expertise are either making competing devices or aren't interested in supporting the market.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

I didn't even think the watch had wifi capability

They all do and it's the preferred connection type IIRC.

bull3964 posted:

You literally CAN'T make a Wear OS device better than what we have right now.

Are the MediaTek Wear OS watches any better? I honestly have a tough time imagining them being worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Are the MediaTek Wear OS watches any better? I honestly have a tough time imagining them being worse.

You tell me.

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/08/mobvoi-ticwatch-e2-ticwatch-s2-specs-official/

quote:

The biggest improvement for both these watches, though, should come in the performance department. Instead of running on MediaTek processors, Mobvoi has jumped over to Qualcomms Snapdragon Wear 2100 chipset. Its unclear how that will affect the price and its a shame its not the newer 3100, but its still a welcome improvement.

So, yeah. When your biggest improvement is moving from Mediatek to SD2100, that's not a ringing endorsement.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You tell me.

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/08/mobvoi-ticwatch-e2-ticwatch-s2-specs-official/

So, yeah. When your biggest improvement is moving from Mediatek to SD2100, that's not a ringing endorsement.

Actually that's why I asked because I saw that article and did a little research and what I found was that some commenters mentioned that the MediaTek was more performative than the 2100/3100 which is something I'm inclined to believe. I was wondering if anyone ITT had actual experience?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I have only the Ticwatch E, so can't compare to 2100/3100, but can comment on it. For the most part, performance is fine, just not great. The definite worst is the wrist flick gesture to show the time, if always on display is disabled, takes like 1.5 seconds. That's the only thing that routinely bugs me about the watch. Also, it takes a good ~2 seconds for voice input to start working from the time you hit the button to start. That would be frustrating if I used it much, but I don't.

Otherwise, it's fine, and this is coming from using a Pixel 2 XL. Opening apps is decent, swiping to the different panels (notifications, quick settings) is fine, scrolling the app list is good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sourdough posted:

I have only the Ticwatch E, so can't compare to 2100/3100, but can comment on it. For the most part, performance is fine, just not great. The definite worst is the wrist flick gesture to show the time, if always on display is disabled, takes like 1.5 seconds. That's the only thing that routinely bugs me about the watch. Also, it takes a good ~2 seconds for voice input to start working from the time you hit the button to start. That would be frustrating if I used it much, but I don't.

Otherwise, it's fine, and this is coming from using a Pixel 2 XL. Opening apps is decent, swiping to the different panels (notifications, quick settings) is fine, scrolling the app list is good.

From what you describe that's what you get from a 2100/3100. I keep the screen on all the time and turn off Assistant but they're both extremely laggy like you describe. I'd ask how your battery life is but we're using it completely different ways so the experience would be incomparable. I'd probably have no trouble with Wear even with middling performance but to work so slowly and only get 8-10 hours of battery life is just crazy bad. When I had that brand new Vapor I was only getting 6 hours of battery life. SIX! What good is that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As an aside, I have no idea what your use case is like to get that short of battery life with a Vapor. Mine is usually on my wrist for about 16 hours and is down to about 55% or so when I put it on charge for the night.

I didn't even get battery life that bad with my 1st Gen Moto 360.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

As an aside, I have no idea what your use case is like to get that short of battery life with a Vapor. Mine is usually on my wrist for about 16 hours and is down to about 55% or so when I put it on charge for the night.

I didn't even get battery life that bad with my 1st Gen Moto 360.

It was set up exactly like my second gen 360. Pear watchface, always on with gestures off and autobrightness. Only apps were Authenticator+, Messenger, Hangouts, AMDroid, Weather Timeline, and Pear watchface (which is all black with a digital clock, WT complication, a date complication, and a notification preview complication). It was pretty much never on wifi, only Bluetooth.

No seconds being displayed, only waking up when I actively interacted with it which is seldom since notification preview was visible in ambient mode, nothing much on it at all. It didn't even get notifications that often because my phone dozes most of my work shift. Tried it for a week, reset it once and never once did it make it more than six hours before entering battery saver mode.

Maybe it was a bad unit but it was also too small for me so I guess it worked out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Holy poo poo, my 2nd-generation Moto 360 is dying after less than two hours off the charger, with ambient display off! Is it feasible to replace this thing's battery?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It is and there are some YouTube videos showing how. I think the batteries for the smaller version are a little harder to get a hold of, 46mm are more abundant.

It's apparently not easy, but it's not super impossible. I think getting the button out is one of the hardest parts.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

I am looking to buy a New Balance RunIQ.

It seems it has an integrated GPS. Does this mean I can navigate only with the watch or I will also need something like google maps? Will it work either way?

TIA

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

tinkerballz posted:

I am looking to buy a New Balance RunIQ.

It seems it has an integrated GPS. Does this mean I can navigate only with the watch or I will also need something like google maps? Will it work either way?

TIA

Yeah the running apps will work without the phone. I don't know about actual navigation, never tried to use just navigation without the phone.

One time I dropped my damaged CRV off at the insurance assigned garage and ran 6 miles home because I wanted to exercise. I still had my phone in my shorts pocket because why wouldn't you go out for more than 30 minutes without your phone nowadays?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google bought "something" from Fossil for $40mil

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/01/17/fossil-sells-under-development-smartwatch-tech-to-google-for-40-million/

quote:

The tech purchased by Google is something Fossil created after buying Misfit and is a product “that has features and benefits that aren’t in the category today,” according to Greg McKelvey, an EVP with Fossil Group.

Google’s Stacey Burr, the VP of product management of Wear OS, added that they “saw some technology that [Fossil] were developing that we thought could be brought out in a more expansive way if Google had that technology, and was not only able to continue to use it with Fossil but bring it to other partners in the ecosystem.” In other words, Google bought this tech to be able to bring it to more Wear OS watches and not have it just be a Fossil exclusive.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Just came to post this. Let's go google watch!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

At least it means they're not shitcanning Wear anytime soon

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Google Watch along with a Pixel 4 this fall would be pretty sweet. Fossil seemed to be the only people doing anything with Wear anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yo what watch faces are you all using? Been using pear modular but I want something fresh. I like something not too busy/won't demolish the battery, stays the same when it dims, and I guess those are the two biggest things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Siri face

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Yo what watch faces are you all using? Been using pear modular but I want something fresh. I like something not too busy/won't demolish the battery, stays the same when it dims, and I guess those are the two biggest things.

I was using Pear like you but now that Pujie Black has been updated to support long complications I've gone back to that. Being completely customizable you can set it up to be the same in ambient (that was something I liked a lot about Pear as well) and you can make it as simple or complicated as your skills allow. There is a learning curve and some unintuitive features but it works great and has never caused a noticeable effect on the battery life of my aging device.

I like the new complication support so much I've been thinking about creating an all-new face as the one I've been using has been the same, though slightly tweaked, since I got the thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm tempted by the sale on the gen 3 Fossil Explorist. Anyone have any opinions/experiences with it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm tempted by the sale on the gen 3 Fossil Explorist. Anyone have any opinions/experiences with it?
I have one and stopped using it about a month ago because the latest update absolutely murdered both battery life and performance and made it repeatedly disconnect from my phone. I did a factory reset to no avail. Before that I would have had no problem recommending it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

drat. Is there a single Wear watch that isn't a letdown?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Anecdotal, but I'm extremely happy with my Ticwatch Pro. Only had it for about 2 weeks now, but it works like a champ, the battery life is reasonable (not as spectacular as my old G Watch, but it's also doing a hell of a lot more things and has a bigger screen to drive), and it looks nice.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat. Is there a single Wear watch that isn't a letdown?

The Fossil Sport looks nice? I don't have one to give actual feedback on though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've had generally favorable results with my Huawei Watch 2 (though the overall slugginess of its performance speaks volumes about the immaturity of the platform), in some cases I have to use the drat watch to pay for things when my card dont work. But I just ran up to the gas station at the end of the street, jonesing for a soda, and I'm just lounging around like a True Goon so I didn't bother to grab my wallet or anything. loving thing wouldn't work. And of course it was a fountain soda I already poured up. Maybe it was just them because I've never had it not work, but it'll be the last time I go without my wallet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Android Pay on my watch failed to work more times than it worked in the few times I tried it before getting too embarrassed to continue trying. But I figured that was just another busted/non-existent feature for those of us in not-America.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
First time I've been really disappointed to have an old watch:
https://github.com/ginkage/wearmouse
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ginkage.wearmouse

Only works on watches running Android 8.0 or later, so my OG HWatch with 7.x is SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wolrah posted:

First time I've been really disappointed to have an old watch:
https://github.com/ginkage/wearmouse
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ginkage.wearmouse

Only works on watches running Android 8.0 or later, so my OG HWatch with 7.x is SOL.

Neat, I guess, but holy hell that must murder the watch's battery!