Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else have an issue where when you dial a phone number, it just immediately ends the call as soon as you hit "send?"

Happens to me all the time, only fix I've found is to just keep dialing, sometimes 10+ times in a row. It's happened across two phones, now (Moto X4 and Pixel 3 XL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Going on three weeks trying to get my number ported.

Can I cancel and then get a new number from Fi?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DrBouvenstein posted:

You should be able to tell them to cancel it, no idea about a new number.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do you not currently have a temporary number assigned? If you stop the port you'll just keep that one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Molten Llama posted:

Do you not currently have a temporary number assigned? If you stop the port you'll just keep that one.

Not that I know of. How would I find that out? In the settings under phone number it says unknown.

And I can't cancel... At least not from my end, the option to stop the port isn't there in the Fi app anymore.

Called again on Monday, they said they'd look into it again, try to get ahold of the senior tech and call me back within an hour... It was much longer than an hour, so I had already left work (since I can't receive calls on my cell, I had to give them my work number,) and they just left a VM saying they're still looking into it. No details, and they said not to bother calling again cause they know it's an issue and are still working.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not that I know of. How would I find that out? In the settings under phone number it says unknown.

And I can't cancel... At least not from my end, the option to stop the port isn't there in the Fi app anymore.

Called again on Monday, they said they'd look into it again, try to get ahold of the senior tech and call me back within an hour... It was much longer than an hour, so I had already left work (since I can't receive calls on my cell, I had to give them my work number,) and they just left a VM saying they're still looking into it. No details, and they said not to bother calling again cause they know it's an issue and are still working.

Jesus this sounds miserable

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"someone will have to call you" is how they get you off the phone. That's it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Free photo book for fi subscribers
I just ordered mine, right in time to fill with some photos from recent Hawaii trip.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

Javid posted:

"someone will have to call you" is how they get you off the phone. That's it.

Same with their email and chat. I've talked to probably 10 different people since Dec 1st, all with promises of "it's been escalated, we'll email you back within 24 hours". Never happens. And the worst part is that I'm trying to set UP service with them. I really liked Fi when I had it before and am trying to switch back from T-Mobile. Guess they don't want my money.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've had my best results in general by getting on chat and refusing to budge until they fix the issue. Their script is designed to get you to gently caress off, not to help you, and it's not uncommon that they actually can do something they claim they can't, but bullshitting you is faster than actually working so it's what they're supposed to do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

And this morning I woke up to a notification from Fi that they couldn't transfer the number and to contact them.

At this point I'll be happy to just get service on a different number, so long as Fi and voice can still work together and let me send/receive calls through Voice.

Edit: I'm on hold now, and nope, not possible. I'd have to change my GV number to a different Gmail account to not lose it, but then I think I'd have a massive headache trying to use Hangouts (the only way I text) since I don't think I can be signed in to it with two different Google accounts, so I'd have to use the GV app for texting, but the Hangouts app for the few people I chat via Hangouts with, and then I'd let texting from my PC.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 21, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

And this morning I woke up to a notification from Fi that they couldn't transfer the number and to contact them.

At this point I'll be happy to just get service on a different number, so long as Fi and voice can still work together and let me send/receive calls through Voice.

Edit: I'm on hold now, and nope, not possible. I'd have to change my GV number to a different Gmail account to not lose it, but then I think I'd have a massive headache trying to use Hangouts (the only way I text) since I don't think I can be signed in to it with two different Google accounts, so I'd have to use the GV app for texting, but the Hangouts app for the few people I chat via Hangouts with, and then I'd let texting from my PC.

For what it's worth, I'm signed in to 4 different google accounts on my pixel, and they all work with hangouts (one of which has my fi number, where I receive texts -- the rest is just chat)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I put my Fi on a different google account explicitly to preserve my Voice stuff. The bulk of my texting still goes through Voice, there's only like two people who I text from my Fi number for whatever reason, mostly just holdovers from before you could send images via GV.

I've been using GV since it was Grand Central so that number has been my main number for in the neighborhood of a decade, I'm not risking it by tying it into Fi's shitshow of a system. Too many people have just lost a number with Fi support being like "lol idk" for me to even consider it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone else have an issue where when you dial a phone number, it just immediately ends the call as soon as you hit "send?"

Happens to me all the time, only fix I've found is to just keep dialing, sometimes 10+ times in a row. It's happened across two phones, now (Moto X4 and Pixel 3 XL).

I did on my previous phone, haven't done too many phone calls with the new one. Sometimes it was immediate, sometimes after a few seconds. I always chalked it up to a bad signal.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Javid posted:

I put my Fi on a different google account explicitly to preserve my Voice stuff.

Messages for web (view/send texts via browser tab) and visual voicemail (transcribe voicemails to text about 95% accurate) were 2 very nice voice features that now live on my phone.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

I put my Fi on a different google account explicitly to preserve my Voice stuff. The bulk of my texting still goes through Voice, there's only like two people who I text from my Fi number for whatever reason, mostly just holdovers from before you could send images via GV.

I've been using GV since it was Grand Central so that number has been my main number for in the neighborhood of a decade, I'm not risking it by tying it into Fi's shitshow of a system. Too many people have just lost a number with Fi support being like "lol idk" for me to even consider it.

This is exactly what you should do, even according to Google support. Never trust google.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fi support can and will lie to you to get you off the queue faster. "Trust" is long, long past.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wife lost her poo poo when she unwrapped her new phone. :3: She thought she had to wait until after Christmas for a new phone, and there was no way she would be getting one this new and fancy. I had to try so hard not to crack a smile whenever she kept watching Pixel 3 commercials and going "I think I want that phone."

Oh, I will say that Fi Support was very helpful in giving me instructions on how to take the new phone off my placeholder account and reset it so her transition would be seamless.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, so on Friday the 21st called support again, and ONCE AGAIN they assured me that THIS TIME the port would go through within 24 hours...still a no.

Emailed support back, and they asked for my Google Fi account number and PIN...uhhh...first off, they should already know my account number, I can't find that poo poo anywhere on the website, and I don't recall ever setting up a PIN.

I did a search on where to find that info, and the results are I got are from other forums saying that this info is given to you when you port a number FROM Fi to another carrier, so I don't know what the gently caress Fi Support is doing, but I am going to cancel the service, ask for a refund for my first month, and then start up new service under a different Google Account and just get a brands new number and keep my Voice stuff separate like it always has been.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

My fourth Nexus 5X has died and support is being stupid with me. A few weeks ago I was having issues with the camera not working, so I wrote a stern email to support complaining about all the problems I'd had. I didn't really expect anything but to my surprise they offered to do a replacement under an "exception" due to all my issues. This offer didn't mention me having to pay anything. But the day after I got that reply though, the camera started working again. Oh well, who cares, right? hahaha

Then, a few days ago, the device dies completely. I do all the troubleshooting steps and yep it's a paperweight. I reply to the old email with the offer for a replacement explaining what had happened. I now get a reply, like five days later, saying they'd be happy to process a replacement under the device protection on my account (for $70). I of course replied no I would like the initial offer.

The thing that bugs me is that, if they had promptly offered the $70 replacement for my initial problem, and the camera hadn't fixed itself, I might have taken them up on it. But when I combine the frustration of a week-long turnaround each time to get a simple email answered, with getting what sounds like two different answers for a nearly identical problem, I feel like I have to dig my heels in. It's ridiculous.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

My fourth Nexus 5X has died and support is being stupid with me. A few weeks ago I was having issues with the camera not working, so I wrote a stern email to support complaining about all the problems I'd had. I didn't really expect anything but to my surprise they offered to do a replacement under an "exception" due to all my issues. This offer didn't mention me having to pay anything. But the day after I got that reply though, the camera started working again. Oh well, who cares, right? hahaha

Then, a few days ago, the device dies completely. I do all the troubleshooting steps and yep it's a paperweight. I reply to the old email with the offer for a replacement explaining what had happened. I now get a reply, like five days later, saying they'd be happy to process a replacement under the device protection on my account (for $70). I of course replied no I would like the initial offer.

The thing that bugs me is that, if they had promptly offered the $70 replacement for my initial problem, and the camera hadn't fixed itself, I might have taken them up on it. But when I combine the frustration of a week-long turnaround each time to get a simple email answered, with getting what sounds like two different answers for a nearly identical problem, I feel like I have to dig my heels in. It's ridiculous.

If you can afford it, the Moto X4 is a good successor. No wireless charging and a thumbprint reader instead of the fingerprint reader on the back are the downsides, but battery life and performance are substantially better.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Its been 30 days and still no return kit for my Pixel 2.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

If you can afford it, the Moto X4 is a good successor. No wireless charging and a thumbprint reader instead of the fingerprint reader on the back are the downsides, but battery life and performance are substantially better.

At this point I'm not sure if I'll even keep Fi service, depending on how my support ticket gets resolved. I got another reply from support today after telling them "no, please honor what you said the first time" and I get some third ding-dong support person giving me yet another proposal that is totally different from the first two! It can sometimes be such an obnoxious roulette wheel of frustration when trying to deal with the support team.

I've been limping along with my old Nexus 4 for about a week and it's a pretty bad time using an old phone (no real LTE! lol) that only half works with the carrier. I'm probably going to continue arguing with support though, since I got an offer to use a friend's old iPhone 7 after I told them about the whole situation. Apparently that model of iPhone is officially (partially) supported with Fi, so I can use that and just keep telling Fi support to stop jerking me around.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm canceling my Fi service since a month later, they still have not been able to port my GV number. It seems like every time I contacted them in support, they started from scratch and didn't seem to notice any details from the previous support cases. They'd ask the same questions, assure me this time it will work, and like clockwork it would never port. The latest little support issue is from the most recent case I opened, where I mentioned in the support email I sent that I have tried 3 times now to port my GV number, the reply asks for account+PIN, when I reply I don't have that, THEN she replies back asking if it's a GV number...it's clear that they do not care, there doesn't seem to be any escalation on these support tickets, and I can't go any longer without a phone number.

My only concern is that in the Fi app, in the cancellation process, it asks if I want to port my Google Fi number to Google Voice, or release it and not get it back...I assume I can release it because I never had a Fi number, the port never took, and GV still works 100% in the GV app, on the web, and in Hangouts. But it makes me nervous when it says it's gone and I can never get it back...like, if some "part" of the GV number is registered in Fi, and I release it, I lose it.

If I chose transfer to GV from the cancel menu, it just says can't access my account.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
Can you cancel Fi service and port your number back to Google Voice? If so, what's the way to accomplish this?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I've gotten my fourth or fifth support email with a new offer totally divorced from all previous offers. This latest one claims they are willing to refund the original purchase price of my Nexus 5X since I've had so many problems with devices dying. This offer did not include, as per my previous request, a confirmed dollar amount for the refund. I have now quoted back to them this offer with "I paid $X on this date for the phone initially, is this what you're offering me?" and oh boy am i waiting with bated breath for their response (lol)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got on support again asking where my trade-in kit is. They said the kits have "been getting lost." I should have one in 7-10 days.

I requested originally Nov 28, then again Dec 16.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks, Jason G for using my referral code. 100 dollars is a nice little boon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Here's my code if anyone would like to use it.

https://g.co/fi/r/22T3RA

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

FogHelmut posted:

Got on support again asking where my trade-in kit is. They said the kits have "been getting lost." I should have one in 7-10 days.

I requested originally Nov 28, then again Dec 16.

I think that's code for "our shipping partners are stealing them thinking they're phones" (or) "our returns vendor isn't sending them out because they're too busy scamming our customers on their trade-ins"

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Interesting article I found on my Google feed about fi;

Why I Can No Longer Recommend Google Fi

I've had no problems, but I am half assed wondering about the Xfinity phone plan (even though I loathe Comcast), or another mnvo

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Interesting article I found on my Google feed about fi;

Why I Can No Longer Recommend Google Fi

I've had no problems, but I am half assed wondering about the Xfinity phone plan (even though I loathe Comcast), or another mnvo

I read this yesterday and it confuses the hell out of me.

quote:

He made a purchase through the Google Store (for a Pixel 3 during the travel promotion, but it could just as easily have been an in-app purchase, or premium content on YouTube, or literally anything where Google collects the money). There were some issues with the payment (Chase declined the initial transaction as suspicious due to some other fraud I’d had on the card that same day, but Google still shipped the phone instead of flagging the payment, and obviously that’s not how the exchange of money for goods is supposed to work), and the process of getting that figured out triggered a “security check” with Google Payments.

This in particular. If Chase had flagged her card as fraud, why wouldn't they just deactivate the card and send her a new one? I can't imagine anyone at Chase goes "nah, it'll be fine they won't try to use it again" after determining the card was used fraudulently. Furthermore, "there were some issues with the payment" doesn't explain anything at all and the transaction either went through or it didn't. If it didn't, the phone wouldn't have shipped.

The list of issues:

quote:

Until Fi suspended his service for non-payment.
And his Android/Google Pay stopped working.
And his ability to make YouTube purchases ended.
And all in-app purchases started failing.
And he could no longer use Hangouts to make calls.
You get the picture.

Not having a phone would suck, but because I still don't understand the actual issue behind the post, I will give them the first one. The rest of the list seems like real non-issues to me. How often are people using Google Pay that they couldn't just provide the card being used for purchases instead? In what situation is not being able to buy something on YouTube a major issue? Free-to-play games? Hangouts works on WiFi and neither phone service nor Google Payments issues should have any bearing on whether it can be used or not.

What, exactly, is she saying? If a card is flagged for fraud by your bank and has been used with Google Payments (whether it be for an in-app purchase, a phone from the Google Store, etc.), then Google Payments is broken forever and there'll be no way to pay your Fi bill? There's so much left unsaid and while I don't dispute Fi has some major issues going on right now, especially in the way of customer service, this just doesn't make any sense to me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like a Google account issue more than anything else.

All I know is that I get decent cell service and now my phone bill is $30 a month instead of $90 and I also got a brand new phone.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Bloodplay it again posted:

What, exactly, is she saying? If a card is flagged for fraud by your bank and has been used with Google Payments (whether it be for an in-app purchase, a phone from the Google Store, etc.), then Google Payments is broken forever and there'll be no way to pay your Fi bill?

Yes, that's exactly what she's saying. Based on my own experiences with Google customer support, I believe that this can happen 100%.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ryanbruce posted:

I think that's code for "our shipping partners are stealing them thinking they're phones" (or) "our returns vendor isn't sending them out because they're too busy scamming our customers on their trade-ins"

That's possible.

But I did finally get my return kit today. It's much better than last year. It's an actual box and the return label has a tracking number. When I traded in my Pixel 1, it was just a padded bubble envelope, and I was nervous as hell for a long while because it took like 4 weeks for them to show that they received it, and I had no idea where it was because I had no tracking.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google Payments handles all subscriptions too. So if Fi breaks your acocunt's access to Payments, you can't pay for YouTube TV, Google Play Music, or any app subscriptions tied to Google Payments.

Google Pay should've really stayed Android Pay because Google Payments and Google Pay are two very different things.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah, honestly, all of that is fi.txt. One little issue can snowball into a disaster because support is so goddamned incompetent they will actually make things worse, repeatedly. They'll break your payment abilities, then suspend your phone service for non payment, then tell you the department that can help you resolve it is only reachable by phone, not chat or email. And then the "fix" irrevocably voids your sim card even after three techs insist it won't. If you just file a chargeback and leave they ban your entire account from everything. There is always more, and it is always worse.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

azurite posted:

Yes, that's exactly what she's saying. Based on my own experiences with Google customer support, I believe that this can happen 100%.

We had a card compromised at an international airport last year and I had no problems at all getting the payment method changed prior to the next billing despite that card having been used with Google Payments, so if that is what she's claiming, it isn't true in all cases. Down to the weird rear end Chase Ink referral embedded in the page, this whole thing is just super suspicious. And, again: "There were some issues with the payment (Chase declined the initial transaction as suspicious due to some other fraud I’d had on the card that same day," If your card was declined once earlier in the day due to other fraudulent activity and your bank has already notified you, why the hell are you trying to use the same card to buy an $800 phone? I've had my fair share of problems with Fi but this reminds me way more of the people who complain on Reddit about how Fi won't honor the weird scam they tried pulling during a promotion than it reminds me of people like Lutha Mahtin who are stuck in Fi hell. Clearly she's got SEO down because this article has popped up on my feed, my girlfriend's feed, and the two other people I know with Fi. Also did you know you can earn 5x points on your Ink Business Cash(sm) Credit Card when you pay for your Google Fi service?

edit: I guess my Google Payments account was never flagged as suspicious, which is why it was easy for me to change the billing info. It's still loving weird.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 10, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

We had a card compromised at an international airport last year and I had no problems at all getting the payment method changed prior to the next billing despite that card having been used with Google Payments, so if that is what she's claiming, it isn't true in all cases. Down to the weird rear end Chase Ink referral embedded in the page, this whole thing is just super suspicious. And, again: "There were some issues with the payment (Chase declined the initial transaction as suspicious due to some other fraud I’d had on the card that same day," If your card was declined once earlier in the day due to other fraudulent activity and your bank has already notified you, why the hell are you trying to use the same card to buy an $800 phone? I've had my fair share of problems with Fi but this reminds me way more of the people who complain on Reddit about how Fi won't honor the weird scam they tried pulling during a promotion than it reminds me of people like Lutha Mahtin who are stuck in Fi hell. Clearly she's got SEO down because this article has popped up on my feed, my girlfriend's feed, and the two other people I know with Fi. Also did you know you can earn 5x points on your Ink Business Cash(sm) Credit Card when you pay for your Google Fi service?

edit: I guess my Google Payments account was never flagged as suspicious, which is why it was easy for me to change the billing info. It's still loving weird.

Yeah, the entire article is weird as gently caress. Especially since I had a problem where my payment did not go through. It didn't break Fi OR Google Payments at all. It just said "hey, the payment didn't go through, check Google Payments" in a text or something. Turns out, I never changed over to the new card I had requested to get away from MoviePass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

azurite posted:

Based on my own experience working on the anti-fraud side of payment processing it's also a fairly smart and easy method of minimizing losses on fraud exposure. Once you have a decline that's fraud-related, it's safe to say that your account is suspect but on a low-level "please call us and verify you still control the account before you are able to make any more payments" basis. Given this bit:

quote:

We have submitted copies of his ID four times, my ID twice, multiple photos of credit cards, and various credit card statements. We’ve talked to agents and supervisors at Google Payments and Google Fi. No one is empowered to do anything, and even a well-intentioned agent doesn’t get the same answer from the “security department” twice.

It's CS loving things up, or the fabled "security department" not okaying the docs. It's also possible there's something else going on that makes them seem suspect for other reasons but I'm leaning more toward "CS nightmare" than anything.