Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
For what it's worth, some of those posts are legit informative. Batman V Superman cribbing from Excalibur is an interesting bit of trivia. Coco embracing/perpetrating the same kind of Border Security poo poo that the U.S. went crazy for is interesting. But basically steering the thread so it's just about the ideas mentioned is what makes it a slog.

exquisite tea posted:

I disagree with the very premise of that thread because Gremlins 2 has always been a classic.
From the perspective of a kid it rocked because Rambo Mogwai + genetically engineered practical effects Gremlins made it amazing. Also kind of a laugh that it was in a big city as opposed to the small town.

As someone older, they probably saw this as a cash-in that went against the spirit of the original for a more comedic route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not as its own thread, I think. I know at least one person got themselves un-perma'd (Avshalom) by just asking nicely in QCS. I'm pretty sure I've lifted some others, and I know I've lifted some probations, but I can't remember if they were posts in QCS or PMs.

To clarify, If I remember correctly Avs dropped the act for a few posts and promised to stop threatening politcal figures if they could post again. Which is a good instance of a poster realizing what they were doing wrong and promising to fix it.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Jan 9, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
SMG isn't too bad most of the time since he at least pays attention to the subject matter and can bring up subtext and points that are interesting to discuss. Sometimes. Botl is the bad kind that gets angry and pedantic, whereas SMG is committed to the gimmick.

A shitload of 'critics' flat out make poo poo up about the movie to hate. Man of Steel gets a lot of that.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Hold up, how did Pastor Travis die? I remember him having a hideously unhealthy diet.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

fool_of_sound posted:

Blockbuster Video is the subforum for more casually liking and discussing movies.

nah, it's a dead place fau made for one of his gamer friends

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

Are you mixing up gravylegs and wetbutt?
Maybe? I haven't tried to find any old Helldump threads in a while, but I'm pretty sure his name was Wetlegs6 or similar.

Emergency Squid
Dec 29, 2009
Found it. It was wetlegs6.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hold up, how did Pastor Travis die? I remember him having a hideously unhealthy diet.

Apparently he had hemophilia and I think that's what got him.

His obit appeared in the WaffleImages thread oddly enough, because I turned up a picture of him and posted it in that thread. Someone else linked the obit later.

Edit: Here's the obituary

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Jan 9, 2019

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Telsa Cola posted:

To clarify, If I remember correctly Avs dropped the act for a few posts and promised to stop threatening politcal figures if they could post again. Which is a good instance of a poster realizing what they were doing wrong and promising to fix it.

Saying you're going to devour the president with your vagina is not a credible threat and I will die on this hill

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

this was a weird little glimpse into the days before Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr/Google ate everything and people had "quirky" profiles on a dozen smaller websites scattered all over

the sexual depravity, of course, is timeless

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The frustrating thing about BotL is how his cruelty, callousness, and vicious personal attacks make the mere idea of applying basic critical thinking to popular media look bad. Because before he or his hangers-on start dismissing representation out of hand or calling people sexual predators he is capable of making insightful points.

Unfortunately, he is either unable or unwilling to make those points without being personally vile to everyone around him, and the justified anti-BotL (and anti-SMG) sentiment has grown into the rank and shallow anti-intellectualism that prompted Blockbuster Video.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

botl's "gimmick" has always been to just apply basic critical and literary theory to media typically unused to it, and to do so as haughtily and relentlessly as possible

Nah that gives him way too much credit, dude will invent smears out of whole cloth to try to lure people into disagreeing with him.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lmao at the idea that cined is an intellectual movie forum. Blockbuster Video is like when a band breaks up and reforms as a new band but without the bass player. Supermechagodzilla is the bass player.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

purple death ray posted:

Supermechagodzilla is the bass player.

Let’s not say things we can’t take back.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DoctorWhat posted:

The frustrating thing about BotL is how his cruelty, callousness, and vicious personal attacks make the mere idea of applying basic critical thinking to popular media look bad. Because before he or his hangers-on start dismissing representation out of hand or calling people sexual predators he is capable of making insightful points.

Unfortunately, he is either unable or unwilling to make those points without being personally vile to everyone around him, and the justified anti-BotL (and anti-SMG) sentiment has grown into the rank and shallow anti-intellectualism that prompted Blockbuster Video.

It should also be noted that botl intentionally posts in such a way as to carefully skate around the forum rules such that when turds like Amethyst ask for a specific reason it's exhausting to explain why.

It's also annoying that so many people come to the defense of anyone being punished for what seems to them like a vague reason to them when it's really obvious to anyone who knows what's going on.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
anyone trying to litigate a punishment is just angry and shook, harsh and arbitrary moderation is the way of the forums, that's how it's always been and that's how it always should be

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gum posted:

Saying you're going to devour the president with your vagina is not a credible threat and I will die on this hill

And you would be correct but avs made a bunch of actual threats calling for blood and death of specific individuals.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Jan 9, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Telsa Cola posted:

And you would be correct but avs made a bunch of actual threats calling for blood and death of specfic individuals.

Also considering Lowtax has been visited by the Secret Service more than once because of things posted on the forums, I don't blame the admins for being trigger-happy about this stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

purple death ray posted:

Lmao at the idea that cined is an intellectual movie forum. Blockbuster Video is like when a band breaks up and reforms as a new band but without the bass player. Supermechagodzilla is the bass player.

This analogy sucks because of the undeniable proof that is the album ...And Justice For All

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

purple death ray posted:

I know who Alain Badiou is. Bee Movie is fascism.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DoctorWhat posted:

ahahaha

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

kjetting posted:

That's the one where you insert stuff into the urethra, right?

What was the context behind him posting that?

Another "exception" from the homegroan rule: I think there was one guy in FYAD or BYOB who had to post pictures of himself autofellating. IIRC, he was bragging about being able to do that, and later on when he was facing a ban/permaban for something unrelated lowtax or another admin said that he could post pics of himself sucking his own dick to get out of it. I may be misremembering completely, by the way.

the context was he posted a picture of a bucket full of bloody tissues after he accidentally scratched the inside of his dick while sounding, hog in frame

then he found out manukah honey is supposedly good for wound healing and preventing infection and decided to post a pic of sounding a bunch of it down his dickhole, and the rest as they say, is history

for context this was when one of the most regular posters was isaac who was heavily benzo addicted and brewing his own moonshine, its always been a bit of a whoever can post whatever thread so people mostly just found it fascinating rather than horrifying

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The mad oval office pouring honey down his bloodied knob tunnel is still at least three levels above people, who are mad that someone doesn't like a comic book movie and can explain why.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

The mad oval office pouring honey down his bloodied knob tunnel is still at least three levels above people, who are mad that someone doesn't like a comic book movie and can explain why.

No it was that they apparently don't believe black children exist

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

LOL seriously how are so many people this staggeringly dumb?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somfin posted:

Yeah, nah.

Also, this is unironically the best Spider-Man related piece of media in decades, if not ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CrMtqHPOM

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Somfin posted:

He believes they exist just that they couldn’t possibly identify with a movie Lamps doesn’t like because that’s his gimmick. Looking down on anyone who likes entertainment he doesn’t. Which from my experience, is most of it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nervously looking around at a screening of Planes 4: Higher Plane of Existence trying to spot a black child reacting to the character called Jive-747 to know what to post in CD.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh, we have one of those in the Trad Games forum too!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Paladinus posted:

Nervously looking around at a screening of Planes 4: Higher Plane of Existence trying to spot a black child reacting to the character called Jive-747 to know what to post in CD.

Ah there it is, it always comes back to this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, we have one of those in the Trad Games forum too!

"one"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

specifically put "original character: do not steal" on ALL my Jive-747 uploads and here we fuckin' are

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL seriously how are so many people this staggeringly dumb?

lemme introduce you to Paladinus

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

luxury handset posted:

anyone trying to litigate a punishment is just angry and shook, harsh and arbitrary moderation is the way of the forums, that's how it's always been and that's how it always should be

This but unironically.

The key thing is that you get better results from admitting you were a jerk and apologising and asking nicely for another go than from trying to Speak To The Manager.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Apparently he had hemophilia and I think that's what got him.

His obit appeared in the WaffleImages thread oddly enough, because I turned up a picture of him and posted it in that thread. Someone else linked the obit later.

Edit: Here's the obituary

I can't look at it because apparently it's blocked in the EU. Must have been one hell of an obituary. RIP Pastor Travis, you were a pretty good sport about Helldump, IIRC.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CharlestheHammer posted:

He believes they exist just that they couldn’t possibly identify with a movie Lamps doesn’t like because that’s his gimmick. Looking down on anyone who likes entertainment he doesn’t.
You know what's weird? He dipped his toe into the Hellworld that is the anime forum and the Mod there politely implied that he'd get some choice Mod Challenges thrown his way if he kept it up.

Oddly, he stopped posting in that thread.

Concordantly, ipso facto, :thunk:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm used to just seeing BotL in the terrible webcomics megathread, and they're pretty much fine there as far as I can tell.

I never go to CineD, so can't speak to the ongoing drama there, and was only vaguely aware of it due to BotL getting probed almost constantly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I thought it was nice they posted classical art in one of the cartoon threads. I don't get it but drat those were some bomb rear end paintings with some choice tits

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This but unironically.

The key thing is that you get better results from admitting you were a jerk and apologising and asking nicely for another go than from trying to Speak To The Manager.

i wasn't being ironic :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
botl gets flak for being negative in spaces where people are doing their fanwank. like he apparently is moderated for being "contrarian" but so loving what?