Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Now having played Final Fantasy X I can say I think Tidus is actually a good character, but I can see why people who didn't finish it would think he sucks and also I can see why having him be that way would make someone not want to finish it and see him develop. But what a good JRPG--it's bizarre that after X and X-2 Square Enix just kind of forgot how to make videogames on schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Raid group chud update: tonight he brought up ben shapiro unprompted

this is very distressing I am not good at social confrontation

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anybody who kept the space racist alive should be tarred with the same brush imo

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

How's everybody doing tonight? Can't decide if I'm a bit of an URCHIN today or a tad STYLIST.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid/status/1082741033765691393

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sounds like a real midlander hume

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to play something like FF14 except not an MMORPG of the warcraft style

i've been clean of the things for years now, i miss my femroe :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Now having played Final Fantasy X I can say I think Tidus is actually a good character, but I can see why people who didn't finish it would think he sucks and also I can see why having him be that way would make someone not want to finish it and see him develop. But what a good JRPG--it's bizarre that after X and X-2 Square Enix just kind of forgot how to make videogames on schedule

X and by extension X-2 are kind of significant for me because all the characters feel like genuine buddies. There's this thing RPGs do a lot where the characters either barely interact with anyone that isn't the protagonist or they're constantly tearing at their throats for way too long and even when the big turning point comes around the game still needs to establish a kind of status quo so Jerkass Guy will always be Jerkass Guy just a little less in your face about it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doom Goon posted:

How's everybody doing tonight? Can't decide if I'm a bit of an URCHIN today or a tad STYLIST.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid/status/1082741033765691393

Makes sense that computer nerds back in the day would be afraid of a stylist

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

you can just sub and play mahjong all day, like me

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The people in this thread saying the new Wolfenstein games aren’t good (yes, both of them) are insane.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

the shitload of Enemy Territory that I played

A life well spent, I see.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

"forget" to buff/heal him

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

cheetah7071 posted:

Next time, just ask why they keep bringing up a known loser?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I PMed my raid leader with my concerns like a responsible adult who is terrified of confrontation

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

This is Final Fantasy XV, and maybe the newest Sword Art Online games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

man nurse posted:

The people in this thread saying the new Wolfenstein games aren’t good (yes, both of them) are insane.

TNC has a bunch of issues but it's still decent, the others own though especially Old Blood.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Anybody who kept the space racist alive should be tarred with the same brush imo

This is the only thing people remember about Ashley's character but you can make her back down from it right away and her perspective changes over the course of the first game. A testament to how bland the two human characters are in ME1.

You should keep Kaiden alive either way because he develops some crazy PTSD in ME3, also becomes gay.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think I've detected the main issue with Eternal Sonata. Every area only has one or two monster types so you end up having the same exact fight anywhere between ten and fifty times. It's... kinda draining.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I gave up in one dungeon that involved teleporters or hitting switches to move platforms? Anyway it wasn't the story that drove me away.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I usually like critically-acclaimed games so it surprised me that I thought both Wolfenstein and Doom were OK but didn't blow my mind and while I finished Wolfenstein I couldn't even get through like the third level of Doom before my interested disappeared. I'm about to play Metro Redux and the sequel so we'll see whether it was just the two games or just my general disinterest in the FPS genre that somehow slowly sneaked up on me.

I loved Prey but I guess I wouldn't really put it in the same basket despite obviously being a FPS.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Double Cross seems like a fun platformer and may be an interesting speed run game, though I've only done one level so far. The tone seems along the lines of a Shantae game. The slingshot mechanic keeps messing me up because it doesn't work like magnes glyph from OoE.It does have the slight problem that the character is overanimated in a way that makes her feel kind of slippery, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 10, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I gave up in one dungeon that involved teleporters or hitting switches to move platforms? Anyway it wasn't the story that drove me away.

That might be where I am now. I just spent an hour moving a room around and I felt like I made no progress.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I will not let Carth live.

man nurse posted:

TNC wasn't good, it got way up its own rear end with the dumb story. Also tech Nazis are stupid, being back magic Nazis you cowards

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I usually like critically-acclaimed games so it surprised me that I thought both Wolfenstein and Doom were OK but didn't blow my mind and while I finished Wolfenstein I couldn't even get through like the third level of Doom before my interested disappeared. I'm about to play Metro Redux and the sequel so we'll see whether it was just the two games or just my general disinterest in the FPS genre that somehow slowly sneaked up on me.

I loved Prey but I guess I wouldn't really put it in the same basket despite obviously being a FPS.

But Doom doesn't really get good until about level 4 anyway. Before that it's mainly generic space base / facility stuff and also you don't get the cooler monsters and guns

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Convex posted:

But Doom doesn't really get good until about level 4 anyway. Before that it's mainly generic space base / facility stuff and also you don't get the cooler monsters and guns
New Doom or original? I haven't played the original in forever, but I really like the section of new Doom where you just have the shotgun and pistol.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i haven't installed DOOM 2016 yet because it's so honking big, same with Hitman season 1

at some point i'm just going to have to get an external SSD to put games on

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

i haven't installed DOOM 2016 yet because it's so honking big, same with Hitman season 1

at some point i'm just going to have to get an external SSD to put games on
Hitman is the better game, if you're prioritizing, but DOOM is shorter so you could play it, then delete it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hitman is the better game, if you're prioritizing, but DOOM is shorter so you could play it, then delete it.
yeah I'd probably do Doom first. i just have to get into the mood for that kind of shooter. playing vanquish filled me with temporary malaise for shooters (which will eventually pass) so i'm dipping into other genres right now

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

New Doom or original? I haven't played the original in forever, but I really like the section of new Doom where you just have the shotgun and pistol.

New Doom; that said I was playing first thing on release day before any reviews or impressions were out and did not have high expectations after the MP beta, so perhaps I took longer to realise it was actually an amazing game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played through new Doom and thought it was okay but not the transcendent experience that other people seemed to find it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Convex posted:

New Doom; that said I was playing first thing on release day before any reviews or impressions were out and did not have high expectations after the MP beta, so perhaps I took longer to realise it was actually an amazing game
I wouldn't call it amazing, but it is good. For me the fun thing about it was its focus on staying moving, and early segments were great for that. Later on it's just unloading really huge weapons into piles of enemies, but the encounter/level design kind of falls apart toward the end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah I'd probably do Doom first. i just have to get into the mood for that kind of shooter. playing vanquish filled me with temporary malaise for shooters (which will eventually pass) so i'm dipping into other genres right now
Have you played the Hexcells trilogy?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I played through new Doom and thought it was okay but not the transcendent experience that other people seemed to find it

When every FPS was a slow linear corridor shooter with regenerating health and modern military weapons you can see why Doom was a transcendent experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do those even exist anymore even CoD moved away from it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EDIT: Wrong thread

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I gave up on Eternal Sonata when it felt like every two or three areas they were giving me a different mechanic for the battle system that completely changed how the game played and eventually hit a variant that felt tedious to play.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

cheetah7071 posted:

Find a new static or boot that person. There's no fixing people like that and if you ask them not to bring up politics, they'll just take it as a challenge to double down.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Obligatum VII posted:

Find a new static or boot that person. There's no fixing people like that and if you ask them not to bring up politics, they'll just take it as a challenge to double down.

This but also chuds doesn't deserve raid gear or shared victories with friends imho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man nurse posted:

One is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

This but also chuds doesn't deserve raid gear or shared victories with friends imho

Ninja chud loot imo