Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
im shocked that the prosecutor doesnt know how to operate in good faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow this thread sure seems to have multiple personalities!

Don’t you have a litter box to clean?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ActusRhesus posted:

Edit: double post.

Yeah, so?

Also, capitalism is immoral. Also also, I want to get paid all the money and other people to be poors.

E: goddamnit you made me quote the one you fixed

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I make no money.

But I have BCBS and get to have free time. So it works.

Plus window.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Don’t you have a litter box to clean?

I'm obviously at work.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I'm a prosecutor and took the week off to visit my parents in Florida. My office secretary fought me when I gave her a forwarding phone number because I shouldn't be doing work on my vacation.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

I make no money.

But I have BCBS and get to have free time. So it works.

Plus window.

I have BCBS and haven't worked since 12/21/2018. Good times.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
You know what law school didn't prepare me for OTHER than being a lawyer? Having to observe urine tests.

It's really getting old.

I think I like my job in theory, but the actual day-to-day mechanics of it have really lost their charm. There's probably a version of my job somewhere that I could unambiguously enjoy, but the list of gripes gets longer every day. The ennui has really set in; I think I've gone back to the "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" speech from Macbeth (5.5.17-27) every day this week.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol this new 101 guidance is so plainly facially wrong but whatever it means less work for me

I've already left a comment on how it clearly contradicts binding federal circuit precedent, and they've told us it's mandatory to implement already even though the public comment period just started

heckuvajob

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

lol this new 101 guidance is so plainly facially wrong but whatever it means less work for me

I've already left a comment on how it clearly contradicts binding federal circuit precedent, and they've told us it's mandatory to implement already even though the public comment period just started

heckuvajob

They've been hyping it up since last fall about how it would reduce 101 rejections a lot.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Meatbag Esq. posted:

They've been hyping it up since last fall about how it would reduce 101 rejections a lot.

Iancu deeply deeply hates modern 101.

In theory the 112 guidance would cover most of the applications that would have been rejected under 101... but let’s be honest, most examiners are going to take the WJ approach and say “gently caress that I’m lazy.”

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alaemon posted:

You know what law school didn't prepare me for OTHER than being a lawyer? Having to observe urine tests..

wait what how is this part of your job

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

No no, it's just his hobby, for kicks you know. He's just complaining that law school didn't prepare him for it, which I don't really know why it would unless you were into water sports.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Like if your that into pee, go to Trump University or something. Jeez.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I have been asking the same question for quite some time, and the answer is "because you are being told to do it."

(Despite it not being in my job description, the revised job description, the pay scale, etc.)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

heckuvajob
Link?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/01/07/2018-28282/2019-revised-patent-subject-matter-eligibility-guidance

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

Iancu deeply deeply hates modern 101.

In theory the 112 guidance would cover most of the applications that would have been rejected under 101... but let’s be honest, most examiners are going to take the WJ approach and say “gently caress that I’m lazy.”

The 112 guidance is dumb because it doesn't help with novel applications of routine and conventional functionality

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like before, if the claim merely recited "categorizing a document using a naive Bayes classifier" the office is going to find it to be patent-eligible, but the courts would clearly hold it to be patent ineligible

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm trying to wrap my mind about why the attorney is the pecker checker regardless of where you work.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't have put "really good at looking at penis" on your resume, its your own fault, really

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Definitely shouldn't have listed it as one of your greatest strengths in your interview

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That isn't what I meant by birdwatching!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Law Megathread: How is watching another dude take a piss part of your job.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The 112 guidance is dumb because it doesn't help with novel applications of routine and conventional functionality

Yeah, but 99% of the time those applications fail to actually disclose how they do what they do anyway.

(This is not to say the guidance is good. It is not.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm trying to wrap my mind about why the attorney is the pecker checker regardless of where you work.

Never lose sight of your dreams.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Alaemon posted:

I have been asking the same question for quite some time, and the answer is "because you are being told to do it."

(Despite it not being in my job description, the revised job description, the pay scale, etc.)

Lol are you a JAG officer or something?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’ve been a Jagofficer since I was 12

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ale Man did whoever told you these inspections were part of your job also tell you that every once in a while you gotta give it a lil kiss

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ale Man did whoever told you these inspections were part of your job also tell you that every once in a while you gotta give it a lil kiss

The s comes before the z.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

lolllllllllll

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
:golfclap:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Lmao

ActusRhesus posted:

The s comes before the z.

:hmmyes:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Vox Nihili posted:

Serving capital/corporate interests isn't exclusively a "V20 biglaw" thing, it's pretty much a "private sector employment of almost any type" thing, particularly for lawyers. Private equity is morally no different than a bank or Google or Nestle or a sovereign wealth fund or any of the 10,000 legal forms that capital may assume. They're all rapacious by definition.

You're right that serving capital interests is not exclusively a big law thing, but the difference is big law builds and enforces the structures that regular people have to exist in.

V20 big law bears more responsibility for growing wealth inequality, destruction of organized labor and the increasing financialization of the economy than a mid level director at Caterpillar, Google, Nestle or whatever. We build the tax advantaged structures that allow for things like PE funds and MLPs to avoid taxation. When mortgage backed securities were being created, it was V20 lawyers doing the leg work to put them together (e.g., building the actual securities line by line). It's impossible to separate what high level corporate attorneys do from the larger macro level trends in the country and handwave it away by just being like "I'm basically the same thing as a Target manager so whatevs".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

You're right that serving capital interests is not exclusively a big law thing, but the difference is big law builds and enforces the structures that regular people have to exist in.

V20 big law bears more responsibility for growing wealth inequality, destruction of organized labor and the increasing financialization of the economy than a mid level director at Caterpillar, Google, Nestle or whatever. We build the tax advantaged structures that allow for things like PE funds and MLPs to avoid taxation. When mortgage backed securities were being created, it was V20 lawyers doing the leg work to put them together (e.g., building the actual securities line by line). It's impossible to separate what high level corporate attorneys do from the larger macro level trends in the country and handwave it away by just being like "I'm basically the same thing as a Target manager so whatevs".

i get paid to shuffle money between hedge funds based on who was smart enough to hire me, its p. good

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

heckuvajob

Got any inside info on how much longer the USPTO can hold out? Wonder what I'm supposed to do about the first action interview I have that I need to schedule soon.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gret posted:

Got any inside info on how much longer the USPTO can hold out? Wonder what I'm supposed to do about the first action interview I have that I need to schedule soon.

"20-ish days" from like Wednesday? although I don't know if that's calendar or business. Apparently Iancu said something about it at the beginning of the shutdown?

I think you just need to put in the request for interview within the month in order to stay in FAI

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 12, 2019

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

evilweasel posted:

i get paid to shuffle money between hedge funds based on who was smart enough to hire me, its p. good

So you’re why I have to verify 50 different funds for the same investment manager

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

So you’re why I have to verify 50 different funds for the same investment manager

no the shuffling of money is very acrimonious and between unrelated funds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Also historically, the firm that did the most if the early securitization work wasn't prestigious and is dead. (And a lot of the firms that picked up from that weren't the V20 either. It was crappy work.)