Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
annoying af Fun fact: You CAN be knocked out of cutscenes by tiger aoes

Even if some other doof is the one that made it attack.

Aaagh

And it was one of the longer cutscenes too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Ayy, got 'em.

Seems like the advanced table plays pretty much like the hints will tell you to. The basics are there, but it has some holes that are pretty noticeable even to me, a scrub. The riichi judgement especially stands out as questionable in a lot of cases.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Anyone have any idea if they'll add Scaeven Ester (the 390 -> 400 weapon upgrade item) to the other two enhancement items in exchange for the Ivalice coins in the future, or am I stuck with a 390 unless I step into Savage Alphascape or Seiryu Extreme?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You'll get it in the next big patch in 1.5months IIRC.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Zwingley posted:

Anyone have any idea if they'll add Scaeven Ester (the 390 -> 400 weapon upgrade item) to the other two enhancement items in exchange for the Ivalice coins in the future, or am I stuck with a 390 unless I step into Savage Alphascape or Seiryu Extreme?

I mean, you could probably learn and clear O11S in about as much time as you'll waste in disbanded Orbonne parties! Though you'd have to get past the Midgardsormr hump first.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Well I cleared Orbonne on my first try this week, so maybe my luck will hold going forward. :v:

Appreciate the info; this is the first time I've been current on the gear curve, really.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Another cool thing in Orbonne: "It's bite as cold as steel!" TG Cid and Agrias use the same sword technique :unsmith:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Another cool thing in Orbonne: "It's bite as cold as steel!" TG Cid and Agrias use the same sword technique :unsmith:

That was his gimmick in FFT, too. TG Cid could use every other holy knight's sword skills (I vaguely recall a knight or two he couldn't, but they were the exception and not the rule) and his stats were bonkers on top of it. Agrias was, sadly, very quickly outclassed by all of the other great characters with unique classes you could get.

Man I remember that moment he joined your party and you could actually look at his gear and skills. My eyes drat near popped out when I saw.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

The sidequest you get in the Rising Stones ("Take with a Tonze of Salt") is pretty on the nose.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That was his gimmick in FFT, too. TG Cid could use every other holy knight's sword skills (I vaguely recall a knight or two he couldn't, but they were the exception and not the rule) and his stats were bonkers on top of it. Agrias was, sadly, very quickly outclassed by all of the other great characters with unique classes you could get.

Man I remember that moment he joined your party and you could actually look at his gear and skills. My eyes drat near popped out when I saw.

To this day I'm not entirely sure why he was so absurdly strong as he was, I don't think the game itself got that much more difficult so he just rolled over most things.

Also, in FFXIV his combat theme being the final boss theme of Vagrant Story was an unexpected but welcome mix.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kanfy posted:

To this day I'm not entirely sure why he was so absurdly strong as he was, I don't think the game itself got that much more difficult so he just rolled over most things.
Because even the game realized that the Roof of Riovanes was crap and he helps make up for it.

Also he's your insurance/crutch if you've had problems getting to him and have lost generics/named people, which means getting more generics which really, really suck to level up at that stage of the game.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
He was cool, but cinversely, I liked that he was pretty much sidelined in OFS's LP of the game. That was a good game for breaking.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, did you finish 2.55, or did you finish 2.0?

I assume the former? I'm in Ishgard.

Honestly it got way better right after Ultima Weapon, then it dragged for a bit.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Note Block posted:

You are literally up against one of the most OP characters ever added to a game so it makes sense.

Ramuh, who's that punk? A nobody.

Not gonna lie, I've been pleased as Punch from hearing about Thunder God Cid wrecking poo poo non-stop in TYOOL 2019. :allears: Agrias and Cid even say their FFT spell quotes! It's so good! Granted, IMO, "Misfortune hangs heavy on a head once held high. Such is poor cover for when the heavens fall" is no "Heaven's wish to destroy all minds."

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

4.5 MSQ spoilers:

You have a twisted streak to you, Varis. Like Grandsire, like grandson, eh?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got to see the credits today, I think I was in cutscenes more than I was actually fighting

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

FFXIV: I think I was in cutscenes more than I was actually fighting

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

At the shield I told Gaius that we'd settle this later instead of moving on and I'm petty like that.
What he doesn't know that it'll be in a frantic game of mahjong.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
mahjong is real good

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It'll be peak anime if I'm allowed to make a new friend-enemy via a game instead of proving why I'm the god slayer in real time.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gaius: "It's not like I want to fight alongside you or anything, b-baka"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Truga posted:

mahjong is real good
it's by far the best thing they've done with the Gold Saucer (at least until Blitzball comes out)

Also I didn't notice until somebody pointed it out to me last night, that the mahjong arena is in the Doma castle boss room

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Spriggan is an rear end in a top hat who called ron on me 6 hands in a row.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The final boss of Orbonne is awesome and is easily the best 24-man final boss. Also the transition is amazing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Azubah posted:

It'll be peak anime if I'm allowed to make a new friend-enemy via a game instead of proving why I'm the god slayer in real time.

Doesn't the lorebook mention that Varis is really good at shuffleboard or something?

I just want to settle the war between Eorzea and Garlemald/The Ascians/Zodiark/The Inevitable Eldritch Abomination that comes out of Nowhere with Triple Triad. :argh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saigyouji posted:

The final boss of Orbonne is awesome and is easily the best 24-man final boss. Also the transition is amazing.

My whole static guffawed on first pull when her line attacks created actual walls, trapping the entirety of team B to be blown up by overlapping circle AoEs.

The fight is ridiculous and I love it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Doesn't the lorebook mention that Varis is really good at shuffleboard or something?

I don't know, I'm still slowly going through the first one. I've gotten to the part where the empire started to come to power.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm purposely banning myself from continuing the MSQ and Stormblood raids until I finish leveling all my crafters/gatherers to 70, since having all that content hanging over my head is a good motivator. I really enjoyed the Heavensward optional raid content (I strongly recommend doing it to the people who are currently making their way through the <70 MSQ), so I'm looking forward to the more recent stuff.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Can you even get groups for Alexander NM these days? I suppose the roulette helps.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Can often get them in PF, especially on Mon/Tue/weekends

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
People still do Alex for WT as well.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Saigyouji posted:

I spent a lot of the second phase dead because I went in blind, but holy gently caress that was nuts.

Yeah, Orbonne is definitely the best 24 man this expansion by a significant margin.

The transition was :catdrugs:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MechaX posted:

I spent a lot of the second phase dead because I went in blind, but holy gently caress that was nuts.

Yeah, Orbonne is definitely the best 24 man this expansion by a significant margin.

The transition was :catdrugs:

The transition might be the most ridiculously Final Fantasy thing ever and it owns.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bobfly posted:

Can you even get groups for Alexander NM these days? I suppose the roulette helps.

Yeah. “Hey, I’m doing newbie Alex who wants WT points!?!??”

We did it unsynced a few months ago and even with half of us watching all of the cutscenes it took 2.5 hours start to finish.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I did them all over a weekend when normal roulette came out. It was pretty smooth but the queue times varied a lot, you were never really sure if it was going to be 5 minutes or 20+.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ibblebibble posted:

The transition might be the most ridiculously Final Fantasy thing ever and it owns.

Love it when healers realize that they need to keep healing through the transition and then oops part of the party is dead now.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So uh they sure do like their previous hero binds Big Bad, WoL joins with their ghost to rebind/defeat them for good plot resolution. It's how they ended both Four Lords and Ivalice, and the Eureka plotline also seems like it's heading that way...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

God I wish I could see it again but every time I try to help my friends clear one of the other parties decides to toss their brains off the bridge to the third boss.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Wait there's a boss after TG Cid despoiler of pubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My plan was to resub for a little bit when all the Stormblood storylines were done to see all the new stuff, has that happened? Are patches from now on the prologie/intros/teasers for the next expac?