Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's also a bit of momentum goin too for commercial space

say your business is relocating and needs a new larger location or something. since so much of the space available is now open floorplan, it's more difficult to find a location willing to build you some offices into a space you might want (without a premium for both cost and time) instead of just biting the bullet on a large omni-room and then subsequently deciding that cube walls are an unneeded additional cost too
yeah putting in walls and doors (and wiring them, and making them up to code) is expensive, and just as expensive is redoing them once your floorplan changes. much cheaper and easier to create a giant unpartitioned space and move the benches around when you have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i went to college with dare. his dad was no poo poo the king of nigeria.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a real office with a door that locks and a window that opens and no glass in the door so no one can see if i'm in or not.

it rules

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i work from home

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i also work from home, its pretty cool.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i have a real office with a door that locks and a window that opens and no glass in the door so no one can see if i'm in or not.

it rules

i hate your face

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

it rules

same except my windows don't open and i walk home at lunch and work the second half of my day there

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

how much money did you send to them?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rex-Goliath posted:

it’s interesting that everyone gleefully embraced the death of cubicles because of how strongly it came to symbolize white collar hell and people confused it with being the actual source of the misery
this was representative of my cubicle at the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aNPMEAejeo&t=380s

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Midjack posted:

I was thinking about commenting on that too.

Dare's gonna have to settle for being the King of Bing.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tech workers despise open office layouts because it forces them to confront and acknowledge that they do no real work and everyone around them knows it

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
pre-emptive "don't quote stymie"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

tech workers despise open office layouts because it forces them to confront and acknowledge that they do no real work and everyone around them knows it

there is a kernel of truth in this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have an open office desk at work that i can go into whenever i want but almost never have to
its the best of both worlds, 3 days a week i loaf at home and work tickets, weds and thurs i go in to use their better meeting rooms and see my coworker buddies and get free food
gets me out of the house a bit too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and the commute owns cause its 2 blocks to a 20 minute train to a 5 minute bus and im there. just blast stupid poo poo in my headphones on the way and drink my red bull or w/e

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ADINSX posted:

Sure but articles like this have been coming out for years now. Managers are gonna continue to claim its for collaboration, or transparency, or because it looks cool, or whatever. At this point every company I've ever worked at or interviewed with is doing this so you're basically poo poo out of luck and they know it.

my company moved from a building with an open office plan to one that came with nice big cubicles for everyone recently and it's been loving wonderful and i never ever want to go back to that hell ever again

Jabor posted:

if a tech company started advertising positions with "not a stupid open-plan office" i'd consider switching, lol

perhaps all those companies trying to poach programmers from each other could start trying that

you can come work with us i guess but also you have to live in florida so it's not worth it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

stymie post your battlestation

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Shame Boy posted:

my company moved from a building with an open office plan to one that came with nice big cubicles for everyone recently and it's been loving wonderful and i never ever want to go back to that hell ever again

but. dont you miss all the engagement and collaboration???

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Last I heard was Epic out in Madison did. Been a while since I heard that last though.

epic is so committed to solo offices that they're up to 20 buildings on their campus. the campus is the one thing I miss. I've got a bunch of friends still there and they aren't gonna change from the solo office plan short of the entire c suite dying in a plane crash.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i used to work in a 3-people-per-room-with-a-door.

in japan the typical office is just long desks and people stacked neatly next to each other, and absolutely astonishing amounts of stuff (boxes, miniature shelves, cute junk, you name it) littering around everywhere. almost nobody uses headphones but people do like to have loong talks somewhere in the background. if you are a really important boss you get something slightly resembling a cubicle. important bosses do spend 90% of their time in meetings too so they never actually use their space

the air conditioner is constantly just slightly too cold for me all year round but that's probably my lovely tolerance

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jimmyjams posted:

pre-emptive "don't quote stymie"

lmao no

Stymie posted:

this is 100% true, however extracting wealth from employers by the least effort possible is a moral imperative.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao no

this is 100% true, however extracting wealth from employers by the least effort possible is a moral imperative.

i need my space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXAt_gstcs

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

boss has an office, i hot desk a chair. that's why i shitpost on company time.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Penisface posted:

i used to work in a 3-people-per-room-with-a-door.

i've this one too and as long as reshuffled happen such that you are all working on the same thing it is great for both comfort and productivity

doing the solo office these days though, and it is the safest bet

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Tokamak posted:

boss has an office, i hot desk a chair. that's why i shitpost on company time.

boss has an office, i hot desk chair
both of us output mostly hot air

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i've this one too and as long as reshuffled happen such that you are all working on the same thing it is great for both comfort and productivity

doing the solo office these days though, and it is the safest bet

no such luck, everyone was on different teams and the other guys had visitors coming to talk constantly

this was still way way better than now

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
ahh lunch time when everyone but one person eats in the kitchen. that one person works a row away from me and eats hot food at his desk that I have to smell. gently caress open offices.

if you eat warm food at your desk you’re a monster.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

how about a tuna salad or whatever it was

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

ahh lunch time when everyone but one person eats in the kitchen. that one person works a row away from me and eats hot food at his desk that I have to smell. gently caress open offices.

welcome to japan where your desk neighbor will alert you of whats coming by removing the shell from their boiled egg before loudly starting to slurp ramen

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
our main office in another city has no assigned desks, everyone just takes whatever desk is available in the morning. there are more employees than there are desks so some people have to work remotely.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dirk Pitt posted:

gently caress open offices.

fixed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheany posted:

our main office in another city has no assigned desks, everyone just takes whatever desk is available in the morning. there are more employees than there are desks so some people have to work remotely.

hahaha that's so hosed up

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ban those who quote stymie

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Captain Foo posted:

ban those who quote stymie

:thunk:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
one of my core contributions at work is hot and odiferous food

this may be why everyone is ok with me working from home 3 days a week

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:thunk:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

epic is so committed to solo offices that they're up to 20 buildings on their campus. the campus is the one thing I miss. I've got a bunch of friends still there and they aren't gonna change from the solo office plan short of the entire c suite dying in a plane crash.

All of epic's new buildings are hideous though

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Wheany posted:

i used to work in a building like that - 70% occupancy. it was horrible

18 months ago we moved buildings, and i have my own desk. however, there is only 1 meeting room in the building that has both a roof and a door...

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wheany posted:

so wait- there’s a chance that you don’t realize that you should have worked remote until after you’ve already arrived?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Amphigory posted:

i used to work in a building like that - 70% occupancy. it was horrible

18 months ago we moved buildings, and i have my own desk. however, there is only 1 meeting room in the building that has both a roof and a door...

lmfao