Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

android one *is* an actually good thing, improving on a key issue with android

yes it's really nice that the data that the phone is collecting and sending to google and china is not vulnerable to mitm attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the other side of android one is that it'll only send the data to google, as it is necessarily a 'pure' image. surely getting google some sweet cash then selling it to china :smug:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wheany posted:

Oneplus 5 got scheduled "do not disturb" with the android pie update. Before that i had to use a physical slider. And if i remembered to turn on dnd in the evening, i definitely didn't remember to turn it off in the morning, so i missed all my calls and messages.

Anroid lol
I have a 5t and the update hasn't rolled out yet to it. I didn't really notice what the previous update did outside of making the icons round.

I've had literally zero problems with this phone but that kinda doesn't fit the yospos narrative so uh lol anroid I guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so other than that it works extremely well?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

infernal machines posted:

so other than that it works extremely well?

It works extremely well, period :shrug:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
android does not work very well, either on apple devices or other devices

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
pretty soon android apps won't work well on fuschia OS as well!

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/02/android-runtime-app-support-fuchsia/?xyz

quote:

How exactly Fuchsia will use the Android Runtime from there is still unclear. This is includes whether the Android Runtime is able to work as expected to replace Linux kernel calls with equivalents from Fuchsia’s Zircon kernel or if ART will run inside of a Linux virtual machine using Machina, Fuchsia’s virtual machine system.

Regardless, what is clear is that Fuchsia devices are intended to run Android applications. This should surprise no one, as Android is the world’s most popular operating system, and offering support for the vast wealth of Android apps in the Play Store will make the transition from Android to Fuchsia easier for users.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm the vast "wealth" of android apps

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

now that it is possible to get security updates consistently without chasing the latest version it is just annoying to wake my phone and discover that suddenly exactly half the ui has rounded corners and the clock has moved to the other side of the screen for no reason or actual benefit

every single place where they have hastily added rounded corners has made the ui worse. information dropped to make room and stuff that used to be visually attached (e.g. notifications to the tray where they live) now float for no reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

wow, so android apps may not run on an os that doesn't exist?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

quote:

Dutch non-profit Consumentenbond has worked with international partners to conduct an audit of 110 smartphones with facial recognition. Spoiler alert: 42 of them were unlocked with the kind of photo you’d find on social media or capture on security cams.

Passing the test (thankfully) are Samsung’s high-end and mid-tier offerings from 2018, all the OnePlus phones, Huawei’s Mate 20 series, Motorola’s 2018 phones, and the latest flagships from Asus, Honor, HTC and Oppo. All iPhones passed the test as well.
https://www.techspot.com/news/78130-photos-unlock-40-android-phones-face-recognition.html

quote:

Unlocked devices with a photo
The following devices were unlocked in our test by means of a photo.

Alcatel 1X
Asus Zenfone 5 Lite 64 GB
Asus Zenfone 5, ZE620KL (64 GB)
BlackBerry Key2
BlackBerry Key2 (US version)
BQ Aquaris X2
BQ Aquaris X2 Pro
General Mobile GM8
HTC U11 +
Huawei P20 (EML - L29)
Huawei P20 Lite
Huawei P20 Pro (CLT - L29)
Lenovo Motorola Moto E5
Lenovo Motorola Moto E5 (BR version)
Lenovo Motorola Moto E5 Plus (BR version)
Lenovo Motorola Moto G6 Play
LG K9 (LM-X210EMW)
LG Q6 Alpha (LG-M700n)
Motorola Moto G6 Play (BR version)
Motorola One
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3.1 (US version)
Nokia 7.1
Oukitel VU
Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018)
Samsung Galaxy A8 (32GB) (SM-A530F / DS
Samsung Galaxy A8 (64 GB)
Samsung Galaxy A8 + (SM-A730F)
Samsung Galaxy J8 Brasil
Sony Xperia L2 (H3311)
Sony Xperia L2 (H3321)
Sony Xperia XZ2 (H8216)
Sony Xperia XZ2 (US version)
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (H8314)
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (US version)
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact Dual SIM (H8324)
Sony Xperia XZ2 Dual SIM (H8266)
Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium (US version)
Sony Xperia XZ3
Vodafone Smart N9
Xiaomi Mi A2
Xiaomi Mi A2 (32GB)

Devices unlocked with a photo, but with better security
The following devices were unlocked in our test with a photo, but you can set face recognition to be 'stricter'.

Honor 7A
LG G7 thinQ
LG G7 thinQ (US version)
LG G7 thinQ Dual SIM
LG V35 ThinQ (US version)
LG V40 ThinQ

Devices that can not be unlocked with a photo
The following devices could not be unlocked with a photo in our test.

Alcatel 3V (5099D)
Alcatel 5
Apple iPhone XR (128 GB)
Apple iPhone XR (256 GB)
Apple iPhone XR (64 GB)
Apple iPhone XS (256GB)
Apple iPhone XS (512GB)
Apple iPhone XS (64GB)
Apple iPhone XS Max (256GB)
Apple iPhone XS Max (512GB)
Apple iPhone XS Max (64GB)
Asus Zenfone Max Plus (ZB570TL)
Honor 10
Honor 7C
Honor 8X
Honor View 10
HTC U12 + (EU version)
HTC U12 + (US version) Huawei P Smart +
Huawei Y6 (2018) (ATU-L21)
Huawei Y7 (2018)
Huawei Mate 20
Huawei Mate 20 Lite
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Lenovo Motorola Moto G6 (32GB)
Lenovo Motorola Moto G6 (64GB)
Lenovo Motorola Moto G6 (US version)
Lenovo Motorola Moto G6 Plus
Lenovo Motorola Moto Z3 .US version
Lenovo Motorola Moto Z3 Play
Lenovo Motorola Moto Z3 Play .US version
Motorola Moto G6 (BR version)
Motorola Moto G6 Plus (BR version)
One Plus 5T
OnePlus 6 (128GB)
OnePlus 6 (256GB)
OnePlus 6 (64GB)
OnePlus 6 (US version) (64 GB)
Oppo Find X
Samsung Galaxy A6 (32GB)
Samsung Galaxy A6 + (32GB)
Samsung Galaxy A6 + (64 GB)
Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018)
Samsung Galaxy J6 (2018)
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (128 GB) (EU version)
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (128 GB) Dual SIM (BR version)
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (128 GB) Single SIM (EU version)
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 SM-N960U1 (US version)
Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960F / DS)
Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960U1 (US model)
Samsung Galaxy S9 256GB
Samsung Galaxy S9 dual (128GB)
Samsung Galaxy S9 + (SM-G965F / DS)
Samsung Galaxy S9 + 256GB
Samsung Galaxy S9 + dual (128GB)
Samsung Galaxy S9 + Single SIM
Samsung Galaxy S9 + SM-G965U1 (US model)
WIKO View 2
https://www.consumentenbond.nl/veilig-internetten/gezichtsherkenning-te-hacken

Some Android phones really are "open" source

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

information wants to be free, man

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

what the heck the people behind the new Psion just made another phone: Cosmo Communicator

It sounds surprisingly decent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. it looks like a prop out of some early 2000s near-future scifi

that's some 6th day lookin poo poo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if you are already into janitoring your phone you might at well get the one with multiboot support and a keyboard because you will be debug mode 50% of the time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Maximo Roboto posted:

what the heck the people behind the new Psion just made another phone: Cosmo Communicator

holy gently caress what is going on with those notification icons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

phones with full keyboards are dead. swype style gestural typing is very fast and much smoother than thumb-tapping, and if you need to write an essay on your phone there are apps like airdroid that will mirror it into your computer, or you can be a super goon and just get a usb or bluetooth keyboard.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

it does not look decent at all, but more fun than yet another identical slate so it'll be interesting to follow

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sagebrush posted:

phones with full keyboards are dead. swype style gestural typing is very fast and much smoother than thumb-tapping, and if you need to write an essay on your phone there are apps like airdroid that will mirror it into your computer, or you can be a super goon and just get a usb or bluetooth keyboard.

swyping is dumb cause time why waste time smudging a finger across ur screen when theres another nine digits to attack spots on the screen :hmmyes:

:justpost:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Maximo Roboto posted:

lol what the gently caress is going on with that notification bar

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

standard android afaik

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

hmm, think you meant to post that here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878227

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Silver Alicorn posted:

holy gently caress what is going on with those notification icons.

hi5

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

tfw when you have exactly one idea in your life and just keep iterating on it as long as people give you money

see also: david cage

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
there are no second acts

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
which android maker has been best about pushing kernel updates for old phones?

wanted to use the lichess app on a 2012 samsung tablet, but the last update was from 2014. to old

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hours later, neckbeard deep in xda developers forum posts, i finally got it to run some russian kid"s CFW, and it performs fine for playing chess

but i had to install the lichess apk from github because the system_server process rocks that lovely single-core cpu non-stop if you try to install google play

well thats my android story

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

wanted to use the lichess app on a 2012 samsung tablet, but the last update was from 2014. to old

like, for official updates? google is the best. after that? samsung for like one or two years fewer than google. for SIX YEARS AGO? lmao go search xda for some poo poo because official poo poo stopped caring four years ago

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i dont think kernel updates are pushed to devices even when theyre officially supported. like youll get security updates but i think the kernel version stays the same

that said you figured out the only way it was ever going to work which was finding some shady xda stuff to make it work

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I thought that technically none of the android phones got kernel updates, just the new OS and back ports of security updates

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

I thought that technically none of the android phones got kernel updates, just the new OS and back ports of security updates

yep. android phones DO NOT get new kernels versions, ever. they only get backported security updates to the kernel they shipped with.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. could you imagine any android oem bothering to ensure module compatibility for hardware for a new kernel version?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

could you imagine any android oem bothering

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i wonder if it would it make any effect in an oem’s device sales whatsoever if they actually supported their phones with updates for 4+ years. like if it even would help a middling one’s numbers like htc, sony, or lg at all.

i know that’s absurd, i’m just curious about exactly how much or little regular schlubs actually give a poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how would it? everyone just upgrades their phone whenever their carrier offers them a new "free" one to extend their contract. no one buying android is value buying based on support, and the oem's business model is entirely dependent on them making GBS threads out as many phones as possible as cheaply as possible. there's no margin to trim to cover ongoing support and customers won't pay a cent extra for it either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

android's value proposition is that it's free (or near enough to free) garbage for disposable hardware. you don't make android phones with the intention of spending money on software and support

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
yeah androids kind of considered disposable these days, I doubt anyone would care if they started supporting them longer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laslow posted:

i wonder if it would it make any effect in an oem’s device sales whatsoever if they actually supported their phones with updates for 4+ years. like if it even would help a middling one’s numbers like htc, sony, or lg at all.

i know that’s absurd, i’m just curious about exactly how much or little regular schlubs actually give a poo poo.

nexus/pixel sales are a rounding error in total phone sales, so gonna say not at all.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
somehow browsing xda developers in 2019 is 100% the same as researching ps2 soft mods in 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

uh an entire new long-term support system for linux kernel development was created because pretty much zero androids ever get kernel updates

also the most you're going to get from any android is about 2 years of OS updates, 3 years of security patches