Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

devmd01 posted:

IT-wide Stand-Up at 830, attendance not required and you can call in if you’re remote. We keep it short and focused so people can know what major things are going on, approved changes, critical incidents, etc. Each team has a day to talk about projects they are working on.

Immediately after that we have our infrastructure team Stand-Up, which is more along the lines of “this is what I’m working on today.”

It works pretty well for us.

We have a weekly meeting in the late AM, with my fairly small team. Bossman tells us of corporate bullshit we need to be aware of, then we go around the room for each person for questions to other team members, project status, or general comments. It's also perfectly cromulent to say "I got no substantial updates this week"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Two 15-min meetings every morning going from 9:00-9:30 for the two projects I am on. The amount of poo poo that gets said could be done in one focused 15 minute meeting every week.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We have a daily standup at 3, which is a perfect time to stand up, get your head out of your work, take a break, and talk to the rest of the team. It's very informal and more of a gathering place to shout out weird poo poo that came up recently or ask for help with a thing you're currently working on.

Once a week that standup is a fully structured meeting for project updates. That meeting flies by because everybody knows the status of the projects already from the standups, we all chip in with some next step responsibilities, and move on.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Last job: used to have a weekly, highly-organized team meeting on Friday afternoons to sum up the week and plan for following week. In and out in 15-20 min and it was so helpful that people who missed it would often view the recording or notes from the meeting.

Current job: a weekly 2-hour meeting in which we talk past each other, and routinely miss assignments and updates because the boss doesn't actually check the lovely project tracker. At this point it's mostly CYA for me because I take notes on things that I bring up and when people later ask me for a status, I say "It's on my boss' desk awaiting approval."

Edit: Oh, forgot the Friday stand-up call in which everyone is so petrified of getting scrutiny from Big Boss that people only give the most banal updates.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

End of week meetings make sense, every place has always done things on a Monday. Okay what are you going to be working on this week? What problems did we have last week? Holy poo poo half this room is still thinking about the weekend people are half asleep and that group over in the corner away from all the lights is hung over.

Maybe I should start booking department wide meeting on Friday from 3-5 and if we finish early everyone goes home. That seems productive, plan out next week then leave early because like hell it's going to take 2 hours. (this will back fire when the person after me constantly goes over and people end up going home late every Friday).

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I'm so incredibly jaded at my job. I'm so bored that I've started to be unmotivated in life outside of work. (And I say that after two weeks of not working)

The really grand achievements I have accomplished in this entire week thus far:
- Renaming a file
- Killing a hanged process via task manager
- Rebooting a server
- Killing the same hanged process again
- Force disconnecting a user from a hanging remote session
(I'm also supposed to jack in a licence dongle into a server in the server room. But getting access to that one is made way more difficult than expected thanks to "you are not allowed to get in there alone" and "it's not my job to help you get in there".)

Makes me really wonder why I was hired at all. Job title is Windows Server Administrator but I'm not even touching any Windows Services like AD or DNS. All I do is installing terrible proprietary software and when that boots up I'm done for the next few weeks (unless it crashes and/or inevitable needs an update). The commute and pay is kinda nice but that doesn't help with the dread about the feeling of wasting 40 hours every week in the office.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pick up a hobby that you can do on a computer, that's not outright playing games.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

How much control do you have? Can you create VMs and make a test domain so you can practice your powershell? Powershell is extremely marketable and you could probably learn to build and setup an entire domain from script in all that spare time. I suggest Power Shell in a Month of Lunches.

It's also very job related you are building a skill that will help them too (they don't need to know you have enough time to do this all manually so it's not really that useful to them).

You can still work on powershell without the ability to make VMs, you can even run them locally in Windows 10 if you can get into BIOS and enable virtualization. The tricky part is going to be getting Windows Server licences for the local installs. I've heard you can use trials for this thing but I've never bothered to look it up since I've always had access to datacenter or a government volume licence.

Maybe learn a full programming language if you think you want to do something with that outside of work. C++ might not be the most marketable skill for a server admin, and programming jobs can really suck, but making your own projects is fun and enjoyable.

With the above 2 skills you might even be able to completely automate your job! Just don't tell anyone you did, but if you have as much down time as it seems, they likely think you are way busier than you are so they aren't paying any attention. Whats the difference between working 0 hours a week and just being a butt in a chair for 40 hours and working 5 hours a week and being just a butt in a chair for 35 hours a week? They are both bad investments by the company, automate that poo poo and never work again while you continue improving your powershell.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Pick up a hobby that you can do on a computer, that's not outright playing games.

Pick up a game called Screeps, where you are writing scripts to control your units. Use this as a way to practice your scripting skills and also entertain yourself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Happy Litterbox posted:

I'm so incredibly jaded at my job. I'm so bored that I've started to be unmotivated in life outside of work. (And I say that after two weeks of not working)

The really grand achievements I have accomplished in this entire week thus far:
- Renaming a file
- Killing a hanged process via task manager
- Rebooting a server
- Killing the same hanged process again
- Force disconnecting a user from a hanging remote session
(I'm also supposed to jack in a licence dongle into a server in the server room. But getting access to that one is made way more difficult than expected thanks to "you are not allowed to get in there alone" and "it's not my job to help you get in there".)

Makes me really wonder why I was hired at all. Job title is Windows Server Administrator but I'm not even touching any Windows Services like AD or DNS. All I do is installing terrible proprietary software and when that boots up I'm done for the next few weeks (unless it crashes and/or inevitable needs an update). The commute and pay is kinda nice but that doesn't help with the dread about the feeling of wasting 40 hours every week in the office.

Hey look its me a year ago.

Go get a new job. I've spent a year of my life being incredibly bored and burned out. I've not even really been learning, because every time I try to pick things up I go "what's the point" and go back to mindlessly browsing SA.

I've spent most of this week in job interviews and I feel better than I have all year.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
we do a stand up type conference call on Monday morning - our business is 5 remote sites and we have to do out of hours support on an 8 person rota covering all sites (and no one is particularly familiar with anyone elses)

Each remote site supports slightly different things between IT and the FM Team so we frequently get calls where a site calls the number asking for help with something they usually call their local IT person for but the on call person does not support that issue on their site - It often causes friction between everyone because there is also an element of discretion to our out of hours support - if the issue isn't an urgent threat to life/safety etc then we can say wait until next time someone is in - therefore there are some more boastful members of our rota who are all like "so and so called about *trivial issue* and I told them to go away & I charged for the call out, I'm so cool etc" (we are allowed to charge for misuse of OOH number)

There are also more helpful people who just do whatever comes through because why not they were on call anyway and usually when people call they need help so why not.

Neither is really the right way to go about things, so I asked everyone on the rota and our boss to join a 5 min call to just hand over anything that happened on the OOH rota - A) because we are all on different sites, we sometimes don't find out if our own site made a call which is frustrating B) if any contentious issues arise, the boastful people tend not to do it so much in front of everyone and we document what we are supposed to support at each site so everyone knows the score. C) if there are any prevalent change requests going through we can let the guy on the rota know to be aware.

It's been quite effective - I expect this call to no longer required in the near future as everyone is pretty much in sync now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pixaal posted:

You can still work on powershell without the ability to make VMs,

What I'm telling people around here is to start picking up PowerShell, start using it for stuff you'd normally do in the GUI. Want to know if a service is running ? gsv | findstr -i $serviceName. Want to do that for a bunch of machines at once ? Get good at Get-Content and foreach.

Month of Lunches builds up like this, and it's too useful a learning method not to advocate at every chance.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mllaneza posted:

What I'm telling people around here is to start picking up PowerShell, start using it for stuff you'd normally do in the GUI. Want to know if a service is running ? gsv | findstr -i $serviceName. Want to do that for a bunch of machines at once ? Get good at Get-Content and foreach.

Month of Lunches builds up like this, and it's too useful a learning method not to advocate at every chance.

I agree with your post except that aliases are a bad habit and you should be using tab-completion to enter the full cmdlet name.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

100% this. That book (and the SA IT threads) have been a gamechanger for me.
Old company i left has now three times tried to get me to come back to them.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sefal posted:

100% this. That book (and the SA IT threads) have been a gamechanger for me.
Old company i left has now three times tried to get me to come back to them.

People at my new job are impressed by the fact that I use Unlock-ADAccount to unlock instead of doing it through RSAT. And that I use get-adprincipalgroupmembership | select name to quickly see what groups people are members of. I do daily stuff as much as I can through PowerShell and it definitely helps.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

People at my new job are impressed by the fact that I use Unlock-ADAccount to unlock instead of doing it through RSAT. And that I use get-adprincipalgroupmembership | select name to quickly see what groups people are members of. I do daily stuff as much as I can through PowerShell and it definitely helps.

I made a script to handle unlocks that would generate a list of all of our active DCs and unlock the account on all of them to stop any issues with sync timing. Felt very fancy and also came very much in handy. I added a function/flag to reset passwords, too.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Inspector_666 posted:

I made a script to handle unlocks that would generate a list of all of our active DCs and unlock the account on all of them to stop any issues with sync timing. Felt very fancy and also came very much in handy. I added a function/flag to reset passwords, too.

Doesn't account lockout status get synced immediately? I think that and password change/reset gets synced pretty much immediately; I thought anyway, perhaps it's different in an environment with >10 DCs

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MF_James posted:

Doesn't account lockout status get synced immediately? I think that and password change/reset gets synced pretty much immediately; I thought anyway, perhaps it's different in an environment with >10 DCs

If it's supposed to, it didn't on our DCs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

We only have, like, five DCs, and it doesn't feel instantaneous. Maybe that some people are hitting the DR DC, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanatosian posted:

We only have, like, five DCs, and it doesn't feel instantaneous. Maybe that some people are hitting the DR DC, though.

Yeah we had 4 or 5 and it could definitely take a minute, definitely longer than the script took to just run the command on each DC specifically.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah we had 4 or 5 and it could definitely take a minute, definitely longer than the script took to just run the command on each DC specifically.

The tool polls each dc individually. If its taking a really long time to poll it all you might have some big issues with your infrastructure. I would have to see the script, but you shouldn't see a performance gain unless your a polling something I am not aware of.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

The tool polls each dc individually. If its taking a really long time to poll it all you might have some big issues with your infrastructure. I would have to see the script, but you shouldn't see a performance gain unless your a polling something I am not aware of.

Which tool? Using ADUC would mean switching servers several times, and the lockout tool just meant having to manually right-click > unlock > close dialog box. It wasn't onerous, but it was the type of thing I could script easily in a way that would let me try new things (see: dynamically generating the DC list and whatnot.)

The script is here, it is very very overbuilt/overcommented but that was for learning purposes.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

If it's supposed to, it didn't on our DCs.

As I'm browsing idly listening to Mrs. Bastard with one ear I jumped here from the football coaching carousel thread without really paying attention and this post and the next few were the perfect segue to make me profoundly confused for a minute.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Which tool? Using ADUC would mean switching servers several times, and the lockout tool just meant having to manually right-click > unlock > close dialog box. It wasn't onerous, but it was the type of thing I could script easily in a way that would let me try new things (see: dynamically generating the DC list and whatnot.)

The script is here, it is very very overbuilt/overcommented but that was for learning purposes.

Accountlockoutstatus.exe

I thought you were referring to lockoutstatus being slow. Its only as slow as the targets its polling. It has the added benefit of showing you which dc's are showing the account being locked, which aren't, and evidence you can deduce which DC is handling the requests. You can also find the password last changed date at a glance and the last time a bad password was used.

Just doing an unlocked all on all dc's is fine too i guess if that all you want to do.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

Accountlockoutstatus.exe

I thought you were referring to lockoutstatus being slow. Its only as slow as the targets its polling. It has the added benefit of showing you which dc's are showing the account being locked, which aren't, and evidence you can deduce which DC is handling the requests. You can also find the password last changed date at a glance and the last time a bad password was used.

Just doing an unlocked all on all dc's is fine too i guess if that all you want to do.

Oh, yeah, that thing was pretty great at tracking down why people were getting locked out if it was a repeated issue, but when it came to unlocking people I just wanted to get it done with the least effort.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off: being right.

We're doing karaoke for a holiday party, so the person in charge of the party ordered a couple of bluetooth microphones that are only compatible with iOS and Android devices to use with a karaoke app of some sort. We hunt up an app, but they want to put it on a couple of conference room TVs, so I send her a link to Amazon to order some first-party Lightning-to-HDMI adapters, and specifically say "I would recommend going with first-party, because we know those are most likely to work."

Sure enough, she shows up with two third-party cables, with badly-translated instructions, because her "husband ordered some, and she totally knows they work." 30 minutes later, three of us trying to get this working and failing, we decide to try the other cable; it's a different version of the same cable, and works straight out of the box. She asks if she should order another one, and my response was "well, if we're going to play third-party cable roulette, I would recommend ordering at least two, maybe three or four."

The company would probably have saved money with the first-party cables, given the amount of time we're going to waste with the third-party ones. And definitely would have saved frustration, and ended up with two reliable adapters instead of a crapshoot of adapters we'll just have to hope work again if we ever need to use them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off: being right.

We're doing karaoke for a holiday party, so the person in charge of the party ordered a couple of bluetooth microphones that are only compatible with iOS and Android devices to use with a karaoke app of some sort. We hunt up an app, but they want to put it on a couple of conference room TVs, so I send her a link to Amazon to order some first-party Lightning-to-HDMI adapters, and specifically say "I would recommend going with first-party, because we know those are most likely to work."

Sure enough, she shows up with two third-party cables, with badly-translated instructions, because her "husband ordered some, and she totally knows they work." 30 minutes later, three of us trying to get this working and failing, we decide to try the other cable; it's a different version of the same cable, and works straight out of the box. She asks if she should order another one, and my response was "well, if we're going to play third-party cable roulette, I would recommend ordering at least two, maybe three or four."

The company would probably have saved money with the first-party cables, given the amount of time we're going to waste with the third-party ones. And definitely would have saved frustration, and ended up with two reliable adapters instead of a crapshoot of adapters we'll just have to hope work again if we ever need to use them.

Sounds like you talked yourself out of a perfect reason to insist on ordering the first-party adapters.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pissing me off: Someone took a blowtorch to a computer.

We set a user up with an all in one computer that's been used, it had previously had stickers on it and they weren't fully removed. The user took the stickers off and scratched the bezel. I'm not sure how they brought this up with our plastic's guy, he said he could fix it and decided a blowtorch was the way to go. It's still working without any issues but now...

I think it looks worse than what I imagine the scratches would look like . At least these are due for a refresh in 2 years. I tested all the USB ports, the ones on the side were stiff to get stuff into at first but still fully functional. This was brought to my attention because of a completely unrelated issue and they were questioned about the obvious heat damage. I didn't believe it until I saw it myself and am still at a loss for words of even what to do about this, it's an hour left in the week can this wait until Monday?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
MEGACORP IT took away PDQ, and are actively scanning for other machines that have it installed. I cant add packages to SCCM or GPO and they have disabled powershell unless you enable through PSEXEC and then its only as SYSTEM. If i wasnt on an awesome local joint malt sugar high Id be pretty annoyed at being able to automate myself out of a job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Been working on and planning a software update since September, had the new version feature complete and running in October. Invite users to test to ensure they will be able to do their work because the new version of this web app does a number of things differently so they're gonna have to update their workflow. Of course no one responds. Well the push-to-production is next week and we sent out a big reminder. Oh NOW people are interested in testing and are finding all kinds of issues.

I'm not surprised in the slightest, everyone in this thread has been at this business long enough to know this is exactly how it was going to play out. But it still makes my Friday way more of a stress than it needed to be.

Fortunately no one has come up with any new problems, everything so far I encountered in my own testing and I've been able to push out answers to their questions quickly. But jesus tapdancing christ people, don't be predictable at least ONCE in your life.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

I agree with your post except that aliases are a bad habit and you should be using tab-completion to enter the full cmdlet name.

Get-Service, aye aye !

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sounds like you talked yourself out of a perfect reason to insist on ordering the first-party adapters.

I made the mistake of assuming she would understand sarcasm.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ex-coworker hit me up on hangouts a few days ago. The marketing director of the ex-company was put in charge of engineering.
When that happened, he quit so hard he didn’t just leave, he packed his bags and moved to Seattle with his wife without even telling anybody he resigned and ghosted everybody at the company. He doesn’t even have a job yet in Seattle.

His departure leaves the company without any programmers and nobody to pass documentation on to. I expect the company not to last more than a year, or give up on selling their products and instead sell their enclosures exclusively.

I got him an interview with my current company.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ratbert90 posted:

When that happened, he quit so hard he didn’t just leave, he packed his bags and moved to Seattle with his wife without even telling anybody he resigned and ghosted everybody at the company.

Colossal power move

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The company I left to take this gig fired my old boss (the cio) as of the end of the last week and classified it as a mutual decision. They arranged it in such a way that he wouldn’t be able to speak officially to his direct reports so I assume they bought him out as part of the package.

The entire technology division has lost 40% of its employee base which hasn’t been replaced plus its sr most leader. I assume because the company is still thriving that the obvious future plan is to outsource or something equally silly. Sales teams keep expanding every week and sales keep hitting records every month.

The issue is that every core system that supports e-commerce was made in house and there isn’t anyone left who knows anything about it. The entire core dev team and systems support team has left the company individually.

I hope it works out but I feel like they could be in store for a very expensive outage if they aren’t lucky. Seems like the only plan is to move to a salesforce based system of e-commerce which I didn’t know was a thing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

poo poo pissing me off: Sitting in team chat reading a bunch of sysadmins talk about how cool and good password re-use is.

:commissar:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Happy Litterbox posted:

dogstile posted:

I've spent a year of my life being incredibly bored and burned out. I've not even really been learning, because every time I try to pick things up I go "what's the point" and go back to mindlessly browsing SA.

Oh gently caress this is me now, particularly the whole "Yeah I could learn/train myself on something interesting, but I won't ever get to do it so why bother".

Although for UK and Euro goons, what are your job plans for dealing with Brexit?
As much as I want to get out and find somewhere else the fact that we're possibly steamrolling ahead to armageddon... or not, leaves me with the feeling to stay put considering the pay is quite good and a there's lot of stability with this business.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Sitting in team chat reading a bunch of sysadmins talk about how cool and good password re-use is.

:commissar:

I got to hear from some people on my team how it's totally reasonable to have a user provide their account password to you so you can setup a laptop and ship it out to them.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Super Slash posted:

Oh gently caress this is me now, particularly the whole "Yeah I could learn/train myself on something interesting, but I won't ever get to do it so why bother".

Although for UK and Euro goons, what are your job plans for dealing with Brexit?
As much as I want to get out and find somewhere else the fact that we're possibly steamrolling ahead to armageddon... or not, leaves me with the feeling to stay put considering the pay is quite good and a there's lot of stability with this business.

I work somewhere (UK) with a 10 year government contract so I'm going to let Brexit settle in a safe place then look to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Super Slash posted:

Stay in a stable job until Brexit has been completed and something concrete arranged. The more it flails around, the more nervous businesses will get.

Unless you have a passport for an EU country, in which case, Bon Chance!