Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zore posted:

The real question now is if Belkar is fourth who is fifth?

That whole line surprised me a bit, partly because it makes Durkon seem somewhat open to the possibility of marrying another male (especially if V is the fifth choice, as some people are suggesting). It's an interesting example of how both Rich and American society have changed over the comic's run, I guess; if you go back to some of the early OotS strips, while there isn't anything really blatantly bigoted against LGBT people, it's interesting to see some of the heteronormative background assumptions (Elan and Nale at different points feel the need to adamantly deny any attraction to other males, Haley's bisexuality is one of her many deep dark secrets, Roy and Belkar seem to regard seeing Elan naked as basically the most disgusting thing ever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It started at the baseline bawdiness of nerdy boys sitting around a table, I think it changed as a result of that being kind of embarrassing and also to tell better and more interesting stories.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rich's storytelling has definitely evolved, both with experience and with the times. He's been pretty open even in-universe about getting better at writing female characters, for example.

Durkon joking to Belkar that he's his fourth pick is probably just off-the-cuff and likely doesn't reflect careful ranking by either Rich or Durkon, but I think both's comfort with that sort of casual joke and their confidence in the audience reaction does reflect Silver's point. It might even unintentionally dovetail with the message of that particular update, where change comes through gradual exposure leading to a tipping point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think we've overlooked something important about the marriage rankings: where does Mr. Scruffy fall?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Random Stranger posted:

I think we've overlooked something important about the marriage rankings: where does Mr. Scruffy fall?

:yikes:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Silver2195 posted:

it's interesting to see some of the heteronormative background assumptions (Elan and Nale at different points feel the need to adamantly deny any attraction to other males, Haley's bisexuality is one of her many deep dark secrets, Roy and Belkar seem to regard seeing Elan naked as basically the most disgusting thing ever).

But on the flip side, we have Belkar macking on Roy wearing the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity ever when he knew it was Roy. Belkar was confident enough in his own sexuality to not care.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Gynovore posted:

But on the flip side, we have Belkar macking on Roy wearing the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity ever when he knew it was Roy. Belkar was confident enough in his own sexuality to not care.

That's actually the perfect example of what that person was talking about, though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well it probably has launched an armada of ships to sail the web.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Note that Durkon's comment here is specifically "just in the party", which is a pretty important qualifier. None of these people are likely high on his overall list of marriage options, and Belkar is near the bottom of that.

Which doesn't mean that it isn't fun to try to figure out the overall rankings and who managed to score lower than Belkar, just that it's relative and someone at the top of the list can still be low outside of it.

Unrelated and more seriously, Durkon's comments in the latter half of this about how people don't want to feel bad and thus refuse to acknowledge the bad they've done, which guarantees that they keep getting worse instead, is something I've actually been thinking about lately due to seeing it in some people I know. It's frustratingly difficult to get through so far.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 10, 2019

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I wouldn't be particularly thrilled to see any of my co-workers naked, so it didn't necessarily have to be " omg a dick gross barf"

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

That's actually the perfect example of what that person was talking about, though.

I may be misunderstanding your point, but I don't think the joke there was Belkar hitting on a male party member. I think the joke was on Roy for having his own misogynistic attitude toward Miko turned back on him. That strikes me more as a critique of homophobia than an expression of it. It's like, the idea that homophobia is a straight man's fear that men will treat him like he treats women. It's Burlew moving past the older, somewhat homophobic stuff.

Roland Jones posted:

Unrelated and more seriously, Durkon's comments in the latter half of this about how people don't want to feel bad and thus refuse to acknowledge the bad they've done, which guarantees that they keep getting worse instead, is something I've actually been thinking about lately due to seeing it in some people I know. It's frustratingly difficult to get through so far.

I feel like this is a whole trend in pop culture recently. The Good Place, Steven Universe, and Bojack Horseman all deal with this a lot, just to name a few things off the top of my head. Some kind of reaction to the "let's go apeshit and lash out all around us" reaction to 9/11, maybe?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

I wouldn't be particularly thrilled to see any of my co-workers naked, so it didn't necessarily have to be " omg a dick gross barf"

Also, when the OotS entered Dorukon's dungeon, most of them had only known each other for a few days, tops. Regardless of orientation, that's still awkward acquaintance territory for many people, particularly the more modest ones like Roy and Durkon. Contrast with Roy's resurrection, after the party had been travelling together for so long that he comes back naked and is like "yeah, whatever, deal with it." So you could probably make a case for claiming Roy wasn't homophobic, although he certainly did do some shady stuff like objectify Haley and Miko before his character growth scene directly addressed it. Eugene wasn't exactly a shining beacon of how to treat women and Roy's fighter college classmates were all frat boy stereotypes, so we can assume there's some cultural misogyny in the background of the Stickiverse.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Johnny Aztec posted:

I wouldn't be particularly thrilled to see any of my co-workers naked,

That's how I interpreted it too. But then at some of the call centers I worked at, guys I considered friends were horrible about pulling up thier pants when they were sliding down sitting I managed to a lot of rear end to where I still feel I would've been fine spending the rest of my life not seeing those asses.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, in the case of the genderswapped Roy and Belkar, y'know, Belkar is an incorrigible monster who finds the value of sentient life to be trifling at best. Not exactly a compelling pairing, when you're a stereotypically Lawful Good type. I'd think that'd take precedence over "ewww gay lol" in any case.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, in the case of the genderswapped Roy and Belkar, y'know, Belkar is an incorrigible monster who finds the value of sentient life to be trifling at best. Not exactly a compelling pairing, when you're a stereotypically Lawful Good type. I'd think that'd take precedence over "ewww gay lol" in any case.

You say that, but while he wasn't receptive to Sabine's advances, he wasn't as initially repulsed, and she's a literal demon/devil.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Who's that V is carrying? I just reread the past 20 strips, and there was nothing to remind me.

(Incidentally - Minrah's big secret in #1135 - the one she was worried about, and didn't want Durkon to know, and then Thor told her it's totally okay and he's cool with it - am I the only one who thinks it's that she's gay?)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Parahexavoctal posted:

Who's that V is carrying? I just reread the past 20 strips, and there was nothing to remind me.

(Incidentally - Minrah's big secret in #1135 - the one she was worried about, and didn't want Durkon to know, and then Thor told her it's totally okay and he's cool with it - am I the only one who thinks it's that she's gay?)

It's Minrah's corpse. Presumably, Durkon asked V to bring it along so that when everything was over, he could raise her.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

I figured it was that or she was dating a druid.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I may be misunderstanding your point, but I don't think the joke there was Belkar hitting on a male party member.

Yes, and it was, respectively.

To review: this conversation started with the gag about Durkon and Belkar marrying each other, and how that wasn't treated as unusual because of their genders, when it would have been in the comics from 15 years ago. And the gag of Belkar hitting on Roy when Belkar perceived him as a woman hinges on the fact that Belkar wouldn't otherwise hit on him.

That's it, that's the whole joke. But more importantly,

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It's Burlew moving past the older, somewhat homophobic stuff.

It's from 2005. It is the older, somewhat homophobic stuff! Forget that specific joke--by the author's own admission, he regrets the entire storyline it took place in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's the real world implication but in OotS land we've seen that nobody gives two shits about that so it can't be about being gay. Which just leads to people making up really absurd possibilities. I'd actually not be surprised if we find out what it was given it's likely that she'll get raised, and it'll be something silly that Durkon will be initially shocked by and then go, "Well, Thor said it was okay."

I'm going to say that she likes whiskey instead of ale.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I am pretty sure it's a 'god knows when you masturbate' joke.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

It's the real world implication but in OotS land we've seen that nobody gives two shits about that so it can't be about being gay.

it's not totally out of the question that the sky pirates would have different tolerance of sexuality than dwarf society

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Durkon's mom specifically said that all she wanted for him was to settle down with "a nice lass or lad." Given that we've seen no example of dwarven homophobia and how casually that line was dropped, I really doubt it'd be an issue.

I assumed that it was related to her desire to stay dead and in Valhalla, but if it never comes up again it was probably something the reader isn't meant to figure out.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Hell, wasn't one of the (Cliffport? Azure City?) cops gay, as well? (and able to nonchalantly talk about it as well, instead of a whispered "don't tell anybody, but...")

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ugly John posted:

Hell, wasn't one of the (Cliffport? Azure City?) cops gay, as well? (and able to nonchalantly talk about it as well, instead of a whispered "don't tell anybody, but...")

Yeah, when Elan tries to use his illusion spell to seduce two guards in Cliffport after Nale frames him one is in a committed relationship and the other is gay and its not a big deal.

Edit: Yeah, found it. And its from way back in '06

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 10, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was actually a weird theological issue that doesn't make much sense unless you've been briefed on several layers of context, like most things that theologians worry about.

I think having things that you're uncomfortable talking about with others, not even necessarily full-blown secrets, is an experience that everybody can sympathize with, especially how an omniscient being could comfort them without calling it out specifically, and it doesn't need to be told to the audience.

I mean unless the thread wants to have a big long conversation about that one weird skin condition you have.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was actually a weird theological issue that doesn't make much sense unless you've been briefed on several layers of context, like most things that theologians worry about.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ugly John posted:

And there were some paladins.

No, Minrah was definitely asking about something other than homosexuality, even though it also was definitely intended as a reference to that for the reader.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maybe she hates beer

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Maybe she hates beer

Thor would not accept such vile heresy so easily.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Also that she already accepted having a pint with him down in Valhalla first before getting raised.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It may have some kind of implications, but I feel like that exchange was written to rapidly characterize Thor as a kind and relatable god, not an old testament god

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I read it as a 'generic private secret thing like most people have'.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The only things we know about it is that Thor is cool with it, and she would rather not have the subject broached in front of Durkon. We don't know if it's Durkon specifically or just because he's the only other mortal around. We do know that it's not distaste for beer or love for trees, though. It's likely inconsequential and just to establish Thor is actually a cool guy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
She prefers dubs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder why the gods wove daddy issues into the fabric of this world?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder why the gods wove daddy issues into the fabric of this world?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html

There's probably some western demigod of lovely parenting or something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Parahexavoctal posted:

I mean thats basically what the subtext was saying super hard, yeah.

E: you can make arguments about how the metatext may imply something else, but let's be honest that whole thing was basically Minrah coming out of the closet to a trusted adult. What she did is basically word for word what happened for me, anyway.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 11, 2019

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cat Mattress posted:

The only things we know about it is that Thor is cool with it, and she would rather not have the subject broached in front of Durkon. We don't know if it's Durkon specifically or just because he's the only other mortal around. We do know that it's not distaste for beer or love for trees, though. It's likely inconsequential and just to establish Thor is actually a cool guy.

It's her fursona. As a god Thor is pretty numb to weird fetish stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

wdarkk posted:

It's her fursona. As a god Thor is pretty numb to weird fetish stuff.

Animals would be fine, but her weird fetish is dressing up like an evil tree. That'd be pretty shameful in dwarven society.

But happily Thor's cool with her firsona.