Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

paranoid randroid posted:

mind you i really and truly only believe that GWB is worse than Trump because Trump has not yet been handed an excuse to kill millions of people

i dunno the food riots will probably put him over the top

make that worldwide food riots if customs gets sick of working without pay and food aid doesn't go anywhere anymore

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

John the Ripper

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

very nice

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SKULL.GIF posted:

Impeachment -> conviction is theoretically possible for Trump if he manages to piss off enough Republicans, but never for Pence unless he turns out to be behind the whole Russia poo poo with Manafort or something crazy like that, and Pence is worse and would be viewed as saving the Republican party so no, let the Republicans ride this to their death

Simple impeachment itself without a successful conviction would be immediately spun as Trump being a survivor or whatever and another win for him

lol burning down the world is literally our best possible outcome we are so hosed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

Look how fat you’ve become

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1083381085528969216

Something far worse has happened to you

Finally finished a long form article about Duterte in the Philippines, and that guy basically used social media to bully reporters into hiding and had their outlets bought up by his allies, had opposition figures arrested for "crimes", and instituted drug "fighting" gangs on the streets to murder anyone they didn't particularly like.

I mean you can see why Trump loves the guy so much, he wishes he could do that here.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lmao

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

How can trump recover from this?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

back in the medieval times the church was pretty decentralized (aside from upward tithing) so each local religious structure needed to fund its own operations. for churches, this was pretty easy, as they could get by on tithes. but for more populated buildings like monasteries, they had to learn trades or take local land under their control to tax. some had fields, some raised cattle, some brewed beer or kept bees.

the particular monastery this story is about cultivated and grew flowers. people would come from all over to see the new color patterns they bred into roses, and people would return from foreign lands with their own flowers. there were beds of orchids, cherry blossoms, and african lilies. royalty from all over europe would send representatives to the monastery for wreaths for weddings or coronation ceremonies, and visiting academics would walk through the gardens for weeks, paying room and board the whole time.

but one day, one of the brother friars returned from a crusade with a carnivorous potted plant. it was fascinating and strange and unlike anything they had ever seen before. they pushed flies towards it and watched the jaws go snap! and saw the fly struggling in the sticky trap. they kept it well fed and healthy, and it grew. it grew until flies weren't enough and they were feeding it grasshoppers and roaches. it grew until it could consume mice and pigeons. it grew until it would consume the cats and dogs around the monastery. and finally, it grew until it was so large that the brother friars would demand harsh taxation from nearby towns in the form of pigs or cattle, all to feed to the growing monstrosity

the villagers complained to their lord, but he didn't want to press his claims against such a renowned holy site. when they tried to resist, they were soundly beaten with clubs by the brother friars and awoke to their entire livelihood stolen and fed to the monster. attempts to hide their livestock or escape the region were foiled by roadblocks and interdiction. finally, since nothing they did could stop the larceny of their livelihoods, most of the villagers gave up and spent their days in their cups in the local tavern

it was into this sad scene that a knight errant entered, introducing himself as the bold adventurer Robert Hugh. he asked what had the villagers so dour, and they told them their story. he immediately stood tall and said that he would fix the problem. the villagers told him no no, there's nothing you can do, but Robert Hugh insisted. the villagers then said no no, we have no money to pay you with, but Robert Hugh said that the only payment he needed was the satisfaction of performing a good deed. finally, the villagers agreed, if only to let him figure out the hard way that this reign of terror could not be stopped

but it was Robert Hugh who could not be stopped. he approached the monastery wearing his seven league boots and kicked the gate in, mid-stride. when the brother friars tried to stop him, his artful swordsmanship left them stunned, bound, and ready to be taken to the authorities before they knew what had happened. when he finally found the giant plant, he slayed it with a single powerful swipe to the stalk. he gathered the stolen goods and remaining livestock, draping the friars over the backs of the animals, and returned to the tavern, to deliver his prize. the villagers celebrated for days, and for generations handed down the important lesson they had learned that day:

only hugh can prevent florist friars

Start at 7:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79wm06j3_gM

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

:trumppop:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Awww shucks, that's a shame

https://twitter.com/business/status/1083379387830018049

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

Impeachment -> conviction is theoretically possible for Trump if he manages to piss off enough Republicans, but never for Pence unless he turns out to be behind the whole Russia poo poo with Manafort or something crazy like that, and Pence is worse and would be viewed as saving the Republican party so no, let the Republicans ride this to their death

Simple impeachment itself without a successful conviction would be immediately spun as Trump being a survivor or whatever and another win for him

idk I keep remembering that Pence was picked at the insistence of Manafort, there's gotta be more there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

eviscerate and disembowel are both Latin origin and mean the same thing

my guess is disembowel is an older French word brought over by the norms and eviscerate was an adopted Latin word in the 1600s classical period

the Germanic “gut” is much simpler

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

good being a superpower is exhausting

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Careful Drums posted:

impeach but do not convict

that would be very funny

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

mad.radhu posted:

idk I keep remembering that Pence was picked at the insistence of Manafort, there's gotta be more there

hey if you wanna risk it on a 'there's gotta'

shame that like 90% of the population get hosed forever if you're wrong but you do you

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
pretend i emptyquoted that mormonpartyboat post because i secretly want this forum to become a place where you can post history stuff with jokes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

hmm this sounds true tho.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Oh man Tromp gonna be super unhinged for that interview with fox news

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Impeach, convict, but give him his phone in prison

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The malpractice circus trundles on

quote:

Fremont, Nebraska, will continue paying former Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach at least $10,000 a year to defend its immigration ordinance, even though the last legal challenge to the rule ended in 2014.

Fremont’s City Council unanimously approved its annual agreement with Kobach on Tuesday. Since 2010, the city has paid the Republican, who lost his bid to become Kansas governor this fall, a total of $101,817.29.

Kobach has pulled in more than $800,000 in legal fees from several communities, including Fremont, for his immigration work over more than a decade.

Fremont Mayor Scott Getzschman said the city wants to maintain its contract with Kobach so he could defend the ordinance he wrote against new challenges and answer any enforcement questions that come up.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you 110% can not impeach him if there are not enough votes to remove

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Sorry Davos, you can stop pumping up your Trump blimp now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kobach is the Monorail Guy of Racist backwater towns

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shageletic posted:

Finally finished a long form article about Duterte in the Philippines, and that guy basically used social media to bully reporters into hiding and had their outlets bought up by his allies, had opposition figures arrested for "crimes", and instituted drug "fighting" gangs on the streets to murder anyone they didn't particularly like.

I mean you can see why Trump loves the guy so much, he wishes he could do that here.

uh he kind of already did

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

sullat posted:

Mother fuckin' Tang

fight me

There's a darn good collection of Tang-era sculpture (a lot of those trade goods horses, camels, etc) at the San Antonio art museum (for whom I'm becoming a forums shill) (it's a good museum).

I believe today's youth might refer to it as "bad rear end".

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
who’s that writin john the eviscorator

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

euphronius posted:

also you pretty much need mcconnell out first even if you do have enough votes

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

:yeah: I hate this

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1083377356402819075

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

also you pretty much need mcconnell out first even if you do have enough votes

can he just never schedule a trial ?

I guess he could lmao

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

they'll do it 70 times like the gop did with obamacare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

paranoid randroid posted:

*700 AD stand up comedian voice* aheh heh and how about that Jizya tax folks? boy at this rate i cant afford to not say the Shahada! *gets stoned to death for being hackneyed*

im pages back but please continue Late Antiquity posting